jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
SnowQueenVT wrote:I think it applies to any submitted artwork...are you sure about the 60 days?I guess that sounds familiar.Thanks Jnorah.

Check here again I think it only applies if you win or get honorable mention

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
sstrungis wrote:Not quoting as it's above me aplenty...

Alright, I get that. Don't trace work and call it your own. I teach graphic design and Illustrator. I recognize that a trace is not real original art. Not everyone is as good with the Pen Tool and work from scratch. Sometimes that needed shape is beyond abilities. It is for me and I've been working with Illustrator for over 20 years.

All that being said, I encourage my students to make all work theirs even if a trace was part of that. There's a difference between a quick livetrace, and a trace that's been scaled, altered, cleaned up, simplified, recolored, and integrated into new original work. That's the trick. And here it's a large-scale trick. I find it hard to believe that every stroke of every pen tool here was born by dint of hard handwork.

All of this posted work is great stuff, but all of it isn't 100% original. My $.02.

I've never taken a day of any type of art class, outside the required grade school stuff which had 0% computer based design included. I wish I had, because I am light years behind the other regulars here, in terms of having the ability to take my ideas on paper and transferring them to an electronic medium.

But having said that, Live Trace should really only be used as a tool to enhance your work, and not as the source from which your work originates. Clip art, pre-rendered vector art, live traces, etc... these are things that are passable, but looked down upon in the Derby.

I understand there are plenty of places that using those tools are just a part of making designs, but here isn't one of them, for better or worse.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
j5 wrote:I'd be interested to know why Blinddog3D's Seven Samurrabbits was rejected and this has not, since both can be considered direct scenes from the movie. Granted Bruno's was closer to the original on a detail level due to his efforts, but replacing the heads with rabbit heads is just as much parody as "stylizing" the scene, I think.
Not looking for a rejection here since I think this is a great first derby entry, just interested in the applied logic.

Well, we know why The Seven Samurabbits got rejected. It was headed to the fog, with a bullet & the green monster reared it's ugly head & the tattletails cried, "please, somebody STOP THIS! It looks just like it, except they have bunny heads and Mt. Fuji in the back but look, every single blade of grass was traced." It's cool. You will never, ever be able to write that in the tattle box ever again on one of my designs.

This design is nothing like that, this is a clean, original, well executed design that conveys exactly what it came from without coming directly off the movie poster. I voted for this and I would buy & wear one, if it prints.

BlindDog3D

striker138

jnorah wrote:Check here again I think it only applies if you win or get honorable mention

All submissions are subject to the 60 day rule. That link only says that if you received an Honorable Mention, your design is automatically entered into the Double Take Derby... unless you have passed the 60 day period, and want to take your design elsewhere.

jnorah

striker138 wrote:All submissions are subject to the 60 day rule. That link only says that if you received an Honorable Mention, your design is automatically entered into the Double Take Derby... unless you have passed the 60 day period, and want to take your design elsewhere.

Can you please point to the section where this is said. I have looked and have not found it. Just for Clarification as I am sure a lot of people on this forum would this information very useful.

Thanks in Advance

striker138

jnorah wrote:Can you please point to the section where this is said. I have looked and have not found it. Just for Clarification as I am sure a lot of people on this forum would this information very useful.

Thanks in Advance

I am thinking it is set out on the submission page, which isn't available at the moment.

striker138

jnorah wrote:Can you please point to the section where this is said. I have looked and have not found it. Just for Clarification as I am sure a lot of people on this forum would this information very useful.

Thanks in Advance

Here is the rule stated in a previous thread by Woot Staffer TGentry. Hope this helps.

http://shirt.woot.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4110922

"If memory serves: you HAVE to wait 60 days from the date of original submission, no matter what. So if you sub a design, then 30 days later it appears in the redo derby, you still have to wait another 30 days before you can sub it elsewhere. IF it's been 60 days and your entry appears later in the double take derby and does not print, it does NOT reset for another 60 days. You're free to do whatever with it."

jnorah

nblottie wrote:I very much like this shirt. It came a bit late to the party, but it's awesome.

Thanks!!

You know I thought about doing something very similar to yours. I think I mentioned it in a thread some where. I really dig your design. I will save mine for Halloween. The Mummy using his wrapping as film Genius.

I always seem to enter late, because my inspiration kicks in only after a couple of days of thought. Some day I hope to fix this but I only enter for fun I like the challenge and the competition also helps with building a cool body of work I can use for something else.

jnorah

striker138 wrote:Here is the rule stated in a previous thread by Woot Staffer TGentry. Hope this helps.

http://shirt.woot.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4110922

"If memory serves: you HAVE to wait 60 days from the date of original submission, no matter what. So if you sub a design, then 30 days later it appears in the redo derby, you still have to wait another 30 days before you can sub it elsewhere. IF it's been 60 days and your entry appears later in the double take derby and does not print, it does NOT reset for another 60 days. You're free to do whatever with it."

Thanks this is helpful I went and read the post but even he states that he is not sure. So I wonder if there is something Official in writing from Shirt.Woot! on this????

Shirt.woot! Moderator can we get some help here?

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots

Thanks in Advance

It's in the terms. Woot has the rights for 60 days after you submit a design (even if you remove it within the 24 hours or it's rejected). That's in section 4. I don't think it actually mentions rejected designs, but staffers have said in the past that it does apply to rejected designs too. They've even given an HM to a rejected design before. And they printed a rejected version of a design once.

Terms

striker138

BootsBoots wrote:It's in the terms. Woot has the rights for 60 days after you submit a design (even if you remove it within the 24 hours or it's rejected). That's in section 4. I don't think it actually mentions rejected designs, but staffers have said in the past that it does apply to rejected designs too. They've even given an HM to a rejected design before. And they printed a rejected version of a design once.

Terms

Yeah.. um.. what she said.

jnorah

Re: Monster Movie

You know I thought about doing something very similar to yours. I think I mentioned it in a thread some where. I really dig your design. I will save mine for Halloween. The Mummy using his wrapping as film Genius.

{{volmod edit: Ads for derby entries belong in your signature, not in comments. To advertise your derby entry in your signature, please follow these directions. As you have not yet purchased anything from any woot site, images will likely not show up in your signature. It's unfortunate for you, but that's how it works.}}

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

redacted

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

hooligaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hooligaz
Re: Map and Compass

Regrets it didn't make it to the fog. Keep trying. I voted for this and would've bought it.

Try RedBubble.com and/or teefury.com.

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming

Thanks to everybody for your awesome feedback on the design!! And mega thanks to Robbie for coming to me with this idea. It is a privilege to work with him.

aeris82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aeris82

This is a great shirt. I hope it grabs more votes!

Mancho

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Mancho
Re: The Seven Samurabbits

From another shirt's thread:

blinddog3d wrote:Well, we know why The Seven Samurabbits got rejected. It was headed to the fog, with a bullet & the green monster reared it's ugly head & the tattletails cried, "please, somebody STOP THIS! It looks just like it, except they have bunny heads and Mt. Fuji in the back but look, every single blade of grass was traced."

Congrats on making sure I never vote for any of your present/future designs.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: The Silver Spectre

Thanks for the great comments, folks! This is one of my most favorite designs, and I'd love to redo this with some glow-in-the-dark ink on the train, lights, and cityscape elements for another venue.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
kaseyfleming wrote:Thanks to everybody for your awesome feedback on the design!! And mega thanks to Robbie for coming to me with this idea. It is a privilege to work with him.

Right on, Kasey- thanks for all the great comments, everyone!

And as soon as I had the idea, I knew the best design would be one in which I worked with Kasey. His knack for atmosphere and drawing women in that beautiful, classic style is amazing. Thanks, man!

Now I get to stay up to 1 a.m. for the next three nights to see if this prints...!

j5

rglee129 wrote:Now I get to stay up to 1 a.m. for the next three nights to see if this prints...!

There is no if, only when (1,2 or 3).

Travisdoesmath

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Travisdoesmath
Re: Forbidden Future

My internal monologue looking at this design:

"Wow, what a perfect illustration for this derby.

Kinda nice to have something in the fog that is just straight up good illustration and not cheesy cuteness or some pop culture reference.

The robot kinda looks like Bender, but oh well.

Why does she have purple hai--Ohhhhhh."

I still think it's well done, and I love both Forbidden Planet and Futurama, but I think I would have preferred the shirt without the Futurama reference. Subtle enough that I still like it though.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Silence is Silver!

This design is a perfect one for an HM. It's good, it's rejected technically for something that wouldn't matter in the do-over derby.

j5

hooligaz wrote:Regrets it didn't make it to the fog. Keep trying. I voted for this and would've bought it.

Try RedBubble.com and/or teefury.com.

There's always this uglier version
(why is that wing on fire?)

aabejar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aabejar
Re: Let's all go to the laboratory!

Double like! It has my vote!

chesh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chesh
Re: Let's all go to the laboratory!

I really want this shirt - both for wearing to the lab AND for wearing to bad movie night screenings (so many crappy sci-fi movies, so little time to rifftrax them all!).

elyseschmidt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elyseschmidt

Love it - would wear it to lab in a heartbeat!!

FrostByte

quality posts: 17 Private Messages FrostByte
Re: No Ticket

FWIW, my "official" shirt.woot 3d glasses that came with the Stereo Scope E birthday shirt have red over the left eye and blue over the right.

In my opinion, it looks better when I wear them reversed putting the red over might right eye.

Jamiroking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jamiroking

Post removed

adorabrooke

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adorabrooke
Re: Monster Movie

My son is going to LOVE this!

RipRap

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RipRap
wootvan wrote:Just in case you don't have that damn song in your head,
CLICK HERE!

Thanks Chief. I needed that.

More than 100 Woots (RipRap is better than everybody else, according to WOOT)
stop asking me to send you my used words. I recycle!

melebeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melebeth
Re: Swashbuckler Island

Oh, I hope this prints. I missed voting in this derby and I want one for me, and one for my two favorite fighting femmes.

BlueWeasel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlueWeasel

I'd buy it...

kevincrimi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevincrimi

[quote postid="4493686" user="blinddog3d"]

Re: [url= and Compass
[img=100x100]

Run, Kevin, RUN! ...all the way to the Fog!

BlindDog3D

Gah! So close!! Oh well, it did better than I ever could have imagined. Thanks everyone for the support and the votes. You'll definitely see more from me in the future.

Would you other artists recommend going to another site or stick it out for the second chance derbies, provided that mine is chosen?

Thanks again!

Check out my Derby Shirt!

verminbury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages verminbury
FrostByte wrote:FWIW, my "official" shirt.woot 3d glasses that came with the Stereo Scope E birthday shirt have red over the left eye and blue over the right.

In my opinion, it looks better when I wear them reversed putting the red over might right eye.

I flipped the colors for my production file, so the glasses you have should work right-side up, when looking at the actual shirt.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
kevincrimi wrote:

Would you other artists recommend going to another site or stick it out for the second chance derbies, provided that mine is chosen?

In my opinion, since when you submitted this shirt, you clicked a little box that says you agree to the terms and conditions, and the terms and conditions say that you're giving Woot exclusive rights to the shirt for 60 days, that you should not be submitting it somewhere else until after that 60 days is over.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62

kevincrimi wrote:Just for clarification, did this get rejected because it has the entire shirt in the thumbnail or because the two goats are separated?

I just ask because a lot of the designs will add in "vote" or "click" into the thumbnail which technically, makes those different than the shirt design as well.

I think the problem here is that the thumbnail (aka design detail) looks like a navy or black T-shirt who's design features a goat and a pig (?) with a balloon looking at a silver T-shirt with a goat, a pig and a balloon. You would have been better served with the design detail thumbnail showing the detail of the design, and using what you *did* use as a design detail thumbnail as your shirt comp.

npromero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages npromero
Re: Forbidden Future

I haven't really cared for the past durby themes so I haven't spent time here looking at the art. But this is just amazing!

I'm sad that I didn't check it out in time to vote.

I'm giving you two a voodoo magic + uno.

I'm hoping it works it's way into the talley and gives you an extra point.

Great work!

blinddog3d

kevincrimi wrote:Gah! So close!! Oh well, it did better than I ever could have imagined. Thanks everyone for the support and the votes. You'll definitely see more from me in the future.

Thanks again!

Pretty good for your 1st derby. Welcome to the drama palace!
BlindDog3D

blinddog3d

kevincrimi wrote:Just for clarification, did this get rejected because it has the entire shirt in the thumbnail or because the two goats are separated?

I just ask because a lot of the designs will add in "vote" or "click" into the thumbnail which technically, makes those different than the shirt design as well.

This got rejected because the essence of the design is different in the two visual offerings. It looks like there is a baloon on the aleeve and in one they are apart & the other is close. The viewre can't be sure which is the actual design.

Woot views this as deceptive or a "bait & switch." In the comp, you need to show; the design orientation on the shirt in the actual shirt color, what the gradient halftones look like and ant details you want to show off. The detail can be anything from the design, but it can't be different than the Big Picture."

Hope this helped.
BlindDog3D

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
adorabrooke wrote:My son is going to LOVE this!

Wow, thanks. If for some reason it does win, head over to my Facebook page and friend me. They'll be a cool giveaway if I win. I only mention this now because voting is over.