WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

$0We gave you a week's notice to get your ideas together, so the announcement should come as no surprise. For anyone who DID miss our preview, this week we're right back in the Shirt.Woot wheelhouse with food that's taken on a life of its own. If history is any indication, probably with cute button eyes and a smile, too. So go to town! Show us cupcakes jogging to burn some calories, salmon filets...uh, doing something, and hotdogs hurling down hallways. Wait. Maybe not that last one. $0 $0Text and pop culture references are allowed. But no Star Wars.$0

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

Here's my first entry, working on a second one today.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51

EDIT: Travis addressed my concerns in the next post!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Disregard the No Text part. Text is allowed, as is pop culture. No Star Wars though. I'll see if I can get that updated.

kevlar51

tgentry wrote:Disregard the No Text part. Text is allowed, as is pop culture. No Star Wars though. I'll see if I can get that updated.

Cool, thanks

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 162 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

LOL I really suck at this theme. Foood! Acting like people! Inconceivable! I have one idea finished but I'm not sure about it... at least I did a ton of other RL stuff this week. =/ Back to struggling.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

both the double take and this derby are titled as #201?

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Ah good good, I was about to cry about the no text rule. I have seen a lot of people start their entries and include text. I'd hate to see a rash of Woot artists on their hands and knees in despair @_@. Thanks, Travis!

I can't wait for the start of this derby :D. I expect some of the comical masterminds to be strong this go round!

no1

bassanimation wrote:I can't wait for the start of this derby :D. I expect some of the comical masterminds to be strong this go round!

some of the rest of us may be entering as well!

bassanimation

no1 wrote:some of the rest of us may be entering as well!

It shall be a flood of cute food from all corners of the universe, buwahahaha!

tgentry

Staff

no1 wrote:both the double take and this derby are titled as #201?

All derbies will be #201 from here on out. Our Freemason bosses won't let us use numbers past 201.

no1

tgentry wrote:All derbies will be #201 from here on out. Our Freemason bosses won't let us use numbers past 201.

yay!

kevlar51

I'll go ahead and post this here for more feedback. I've considered taking advice and adding more cookies, but I kind of like the design being just about Samoas (or Caramel DeLights), because they're the ones with the right to strut!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

It's been great having the week to work on this. I have a couple of designs that I'm happy with (after a lot of changes!).

Gonna be a crazy competitive, fuuuun derby!

This is my 1st:

I will save my 2nd entry until tomorrow so it can be a horrible, horrible surprise. :-p

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert

I would have been happy with No Text. Cute food and pop culture is already so sugary without the text frosting...

kevlar51

We can submit NOW?!

thatrobert

kevlar51 wrote:We can submit NOW?!

It sure appears that way doesn't it? Have you tried? I don't have my files with me to try...

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian

I had to go back and check last week's topic when I saw 'no text'. Don't scare me like that!

Anyway, I was very appreciative to have the derby theme heads-up. Here's what I whipped up over the weekend:

tgentry

Staff

thatrobert wrote:It sure appears that way doesn't it? Have you tried? I don't have my files with me to try...

Don't submit! It's a hiccup (one of many lately). The derby won't be active till tomorrow as usual.

EDIT: It should be fixed now, with last week's derby up as it should be.

Naolito

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito

Here is mine this week, not sure about the title though.
Some options are: Anorexic model, liposuction,.. any ideas??

5 colors on red

kevlar51

thatrobert wrote:It sure appears that way doesn't it? Have you tried? I don't have my files with me to try...

Looks like it's fixed. That's two heart attacks narrowly averted

As for text, I think I'd always prefer no text, but the bigger issue was that they originally said text was allowed, and lots of us designed accordingly. But all's fixed and all's well with the world.

bassanimation

omnitarian wrote:I had to go back and check last week's topic when I saw 'no text'. Don't scare me like that!

Anyway, I was very appreciative to have the derby theme heads-up. Here's what I whipped up over the weekend:

This was the exact one I had in mind when I saw the 'no text' thing, haha! I was like noooo, I wants burnt toasts! Can't wait for throw my vote in for this guy!!

bassanimation

Spiritgreen wrote:

Gonna be a crazy competitive, fuuuun derby!

Definitely. I expect it to be as cutthroat as the kawaii derby @_@.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan

This week I have a collab with my friend Kevlar51 and We are so exited!

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
walmazan wrote:This week I have a collab with my friend Kevlar51 and We are so exited!

I love this! great job you two! this one should definitely rock the house!

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester
walmazan wrote:This week I have a collab with my friend Kevlar51 and We are so exited!

So laughed out loud when I saw this. You guys did great.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow
odysseyroc wrote:Here's my first entry, working on a second one today.

Love it! The Dizzy reference is a nice touch.

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I need to submit something to this derby! >_<

More than one something, too! Tons of somethings!

holothuria

quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
thatrobert wrote:I would have been happy with No Text. Cute food and pop culture is already so sugary without the text frosting...

You know, the more people complain about cute food, the more I imagine foie gras soldiers goose-stepping through Paris. I really hope "anthropomorphic" isn't a synonym for "cute," but I'm afraid it's going to be.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

holothuria

quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
Naolito wrote:Here is mine this week, not sure about the title though.

5 colors on red

Core Fitness, maybe.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

thatrobert

holothuria wrote:You know, the more people complain about cute food, the more I imagine foie gras soldiers goose-stepping through Paris. I really hope "anthropomorphic" isn't a synonym for "cute," but I'm afraid it's going to be.

That's a nice little hope. It will be 90% cute. And I will admit -- I will NOT be helping matters with my entries.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
cdrewlow wrote:Love it! The Dizzy reference is a nice touch.

Thanks, I'm glad somebody gets it. I've had a few "dude, that trumpet is wrong" comments, here and on Facebook.

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172

Here is my first. Working on a second and third

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
odysseyroc wrote:Thanks, I'm glad somebody gets it. I've had a few "dude, that trumpet is wrong" comments, here and on Facebook.

Dude your trumpet is wrong. *runs and hides*

Serious, I love it.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

I decided to go back and rework my concept from the meat derby. Im not sure if I am done or not... Thoughts?

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
chumpmagic wrote:I decided to go back and rework my concept from the meat derby. Im not sure if I am done or not... Thoughts?

I like this. I was thinking Bacon something... but this beats what I had planned.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
grrlmarvel wrote:I like this. I was thinking Bacon something... but this beats what I had planned.

Thanks. This is my second time around with this one though... my first one came off as more disturbing to people.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Naolito wrote:Here is mine this week, not sure about the title though.

5 colors on red

That's a lot of red.... Are you a GrannySmith-ist?

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

bassanimation

j5 wrote:That's a lot of red.... Are you a GrannySmith-ist?

Hmm, it might be nice to see the slender apple in green. It would help her stand out even more :D. Great concept, Naolito!

BambooDrew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BambooDrew
odysseyroc wrote:Here's my first entry, working on a second one today.

I don't know why everyone says you're a great at coloring.