screamingdolai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages screamingdolai

You referenced Rockwell! That is awesome, though it shows my age (and yours). Now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head all day. But it's cool, I like it.

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

I think I'd buy without the giant "Electrical Outlets" on the top... I know it was necessary in the original derby, but it really detracts from the design.

Oh well.

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth
novastarj wrote:I think I'd buy without the giant "Electrical Outlets" on the top... I know it was necessary in the original derby, but it really detracts from the design.

Oh well.

i thought the same thing

pamwillden

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pamwillden

There are way too many overly critical people out there. Is it really that hard for you to relax and laugh at a little joke? Some of us think this is awesome and has put a little smile on our faces.

Take some time out to enjoy the simple things in life.

Geez people.

aemely

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aemely

I really resent the fact that this shirt came out on the day when my breaker panel decided to go all flaky. Evil outlets! That being said, my outlets go the other way.

randoman00

quality posts: 2 Private Messages randoman00

Lot's of wooting in Idaho for this one....can't decide which bad joke to make. got it. Lack of "Outlet" Malls.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
randoman00 wrote:Lot's of wooting in Idaho for this one....can't decide which bad joke to make. got it. Lack of "Outlet" Malls.

I was guessing it's because the artist is from Idaho, and probably has a lot of friends and supporters.

I'm not enamored of the design by any stretch, but sometimes simple is best. Congrats to Dreadwood on your first derby print, don't let the peanut gallery get you down!

leana1975

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leana1975
Medicfrost wrote:I only use outdoor outlets in my house, so I can keep them guessing. They hate being blindfolded.

S&M gear for angry outlets?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

randoman00 wrote:Lot's of wooting in Idaho for this one....can't decide which bad joke to make. got it. Lack of "Outlet" Malls.

Idaho is a state in the Northwestern United States. The state's largest city and capital is Boise. Residents are called "Idahoans". Idaho was admitted to the Union on July 3, 1890, as the 43rd state.

jessierahl

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jessierahl

I'm shocked (har har) that this one won, but it's clever and I like it.

(I was expecting Cosmic Eagle to take first in a landslide victory.)

Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire. Deserve victory. Tagla vassternich.

melfox86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melfox86

Interesting Factoid:
We see faces in objects because our brains are designed to see faces. We can tell people apart even though all faces are very similar, because we have a specialized part of our brains (fusiform face area) that looks for faces. The result is that we can recognize small differences in faces, and thus can tell our mom apart from our dentist, but we also look for faces when they aren't there, resulting in outlets watching you.

creativehack

quality posts: 29 Private Messages creativehack
aoviss wrote:I'm an electrician.

Those are NOT OUTLETS.

They are RECEPTACLES.

The words ruin it, despite me purchasing every electrical-type shirt woot has EVER printed (and hundreds others).

This is as useless and unoriginal as an "I see dumb people" shirt. Even the handwriting is terrible.

The NEC (NFPA70E) does not have a standard as to which way is "up", but it is recommended the ground be placed upwards in the rare event an appliance cord would be moved/stepped on and the upper part of the contacts being exposed and still attached to the branch circuit at the OUTLET, where the RECEPTACLE is mounted, causing a potential threat (yes, I said 'potential'...electrician pun).

Wow, this guy is a real live wire!
Watts with all the static man?
Directing current Wooters to an alternate can't be all bad.
More power to Dreadwood I say!

RAMPage Soccer for your iPad

keijogirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keijogirl
elliotspectre wrote:I think I agree with NCISprobie and polluxoil. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that I do not like this shirt.

With all due respect, it is a nice picture, but is it really that funny? If I were with a couple of friends, and I pointed to an outlet and said "they are watching and they are not happy"
They would
a- not get it for a while and
b- if and when they did get the pun or joke or whatever it is, they would probably just roll their eyes
Do we really need a shirt to that effect? I am not sure, I think many people will realize this after wearing it a couple of times.
And really, there were way better shirts. I dont know if woot picked this one because of the relatively low cost of production or something, but if I really wanted to own this shirt, it would be easier to go buy a 5$ tee and sharpie the design onto the shirt myself, its that simplistic, the design is.

I am sorry if I am too critical, but someone has to be, you are all being too overly nice.

If you wanted to be buzz killington fine, but honestly it's funny to those of us that either thought it in passing or never really thought of it at all. It's not a joke you'd actually say to your friends, its one that you'd probably find in an internet macro. I.e the joke is in the picture. To me, it's meant to poke at something you never noticed until you see it and make you giggle.

I kinda hate seeing people who are really too serious about something so light zap the joy out of someone's win. Congrats on the win Deadwood! This will hopefully be my first woot!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Hey! Congrats to dreadwood!

Had to vote for this. Yes it looks like it was drawn by a madman but that plays perfectly into the paranoid idea of it. ^__^

scholarlyish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages scholarlyish

I like t-shirts that make people laugh. And I refuse to feel apologetic for it.

Good job Deadwood!

gmontagF451

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmontagF451

I guess I really do not understand the (non-shirt-designing contingent of) the shirt.woot community (of which I am a member). The discussion of shirts is, for the most part, split between congratulating the creator on a job well done and coming up with puns in hopes that they be recognized on the main page. I guess this is the typical level of discourse for the internet, but what confuses me is the reception given to comments like those of elliotspectre.

Posting image-macro responses straight out of 4chan, saying that all shirt designs are art and should be valued, or calling the commenters "buzz killingtons," all responses from today's discussion, suggest that somehow discussion of shirt designs isn't really welcome here. I guess it is easy to be "overly critical" when the norm is to give everyone a high five. Can someone help me out, here? Why exactly does the quality of the shirts up for sale not make a valid conversation topic? Please, point out what I am missing, so I can stop feeling repulsed.

kgibb10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kgibb10

Love it...leave it to Woot to remember the hard working electricians...grabbed one for my brother the Master Electrician..he will laugh...even though the plug is upside down

sjswarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjswarm

None of the shirts I liked made it into the fog.

But then again, most of the shirts I buy get reckoned within 2 weeks max, so what do I know?

vanclaw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vanclaw
millercv wrote:Hmmm I would prefer this one without the "Electrical Outlets" text at the top.

I liked the shirt before, but after reading this comment, I agree. It would be 1000000000 times better without the "Electrical Outlets" at the top. That keeps me from buying.

killerDJMW

quality posts: 2 Private Messages killerDJMW

As a EE, I find this shirt awesome.

manofsteel420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manofsteel420

dope idea .. .. shirt would be awesome without the electrical outlets text above the pic ..

jenblazebk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenblazebk

I learned here today that all of my outlets are installed upside down...

julipuli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages julipuli

This would be awesome without the writing at the top.

holothuria

quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
gmontagF451 wrote:Posting image-macro responses straight out of 4chan, saying that all shirt designs are art and should be valued, or calling the commenters "buzz killingtons," all responses from today's discussion, suggest that somehow discussion of shirt designs isn't really welcome here.

Crazy thought, but maybe that is how some people choose to discuss shirt designs. What you're missing [your word] is the recognition that disagreement does not indicate that a comment is unwelcome; it merely indicates that the comment is disagreed with.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
gmontagF451 wrote: Why exactly does the quality of the shirts up for sale not make a valid conversation topic? Please, point out what I am missing, so I can stop feeling repulsed.

As someone who is occasionally critical of the printed designs, I've found that it frequently is a topic, albeit one that does indeed meet some resistance. However, I don't quite agree that it's not considered a valid conversation topic. On the contrary, it's a popular (and often contentious) one.

jmmbell1987

Also, when did I miss the memo that 3,000 was no longer the sellout number? Did woot do away with sellouts?

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
jmmbell1987 wrote:Also, when did I miss the memo that 3,000 was no longer the sellout number? Did woot do away with sellouts?

No... I think they just upped the number by a grand.

piyaoyas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages piyaoyas
Assassin15 wrote:I predict poor international sales numbers.

I don't know... I think it's done alright so far. Especially considering the other shirts have a day or more head start:

Most International
They’re Watching
sold 77 shirts internationally

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
jmmbell1987 wrote:Also, when did I miss the memo that 3,000 was no longer the sellout number? Did woot do away with sellouts?

The sell out number has been raised to 5000 this was pointed out about a week maybe two weeks ago. So it's a pretty new topic. It was first noticed on the shirt, Poison. This is only the second time the number has been pushed.

There was some discussion on one of the reckoning threads. I'll find the link. Here it is.

stup922

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stup922

Those are NOT OUTLETS.

They are RECEPTACLES.

The words ruin it, despite me purchasing every electrical-type shirt woot has EVER printed (and hundreds others).

This is as useless and unoriginal as an "I see dumb people" shirt. Even the handwriting is terrible.

The NEC (NFPA70E) does not have a standard as to which way is "up", but it is recommended the ground be placed upwards in the rare event an appliance cord would be moved/stepped on and the upper part of the contacts being exposed and still attached to the branch circuit at the OUTLET, where the RECEPTACLE is mounted, causing a potential threat (yes, I said 'potential'...electrician pun).

cry baby

jmmbell1987

Those are NOT OUTLETS.

They are RECEPTACLES.

I had a longer response about colloquialisms and common knowledge, but I think it can be summed as such: Lighten up Francis.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
gmontagF451 wrote:I guess I really do not understand the (non-shirt-designing contingent of) the shirt.woot community (of which I am a member). The discussion of shirts is, for the most part, split between congratulating the creator on a job well done and coming up with puns in hopes that they be recognized on the main page. I guess this is the typical level of discourse for the internet, but what confuses me is the reception given to comments like those of elliotspectre.

Posting image-macro responses straight out of 4chan, saying that all shirt designs are art and should be valued, or calling the commenters "buzz killingtons," all responses from today's discussion, suggest that somehow discussion of shirt designs isn't really welcome here. I guess it is easy to be "overly critical" when the norm is to give everyone a high five. Can someone help me out, here? Why exactly does the quality of the shirts up for sale not make a valid conversation topic? Please, point out what I am missing, so I can stop feeling repulsed.

Simple story: when you do not have an intelligent opinion to post yourself, you are resistant to other people posting theirs.

Wooters are mostly computer geeks. They don't know jack about decent art, original concepts, or when a tee is lacking one or both. In fact, often they prefer one they KNOW isn't original over anything else (consider the number of reference/meme tees which cross the table here). So by critiquing the piece, you are calling their (lack of) taste into question. When your only identity is wrapped up in whether people will lolzorz at your tee, it can be incredibly painful to realize that educated people see the huge flaws you don't. It's easier to blindly praise so no one critiques you back. It's easier to go "U MAD????" than try to analyze another person's opinion, or reconcile it against one's opposite opinion. Discussion is something people do when they have something to discuss. Welcome to woot. Literacy optional.

wrigjenn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wrigjenn

Love the shirt. I'd one for the spouse and I if it were any other color but white. White stays white less than one day in my house...what with my eighteen month old daughter; dogs and sweet husband.

always bet on black.

vegandoug

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vegandoug

Its a three pronged attempt at a great t-shirt!

Got mine, got yours?

sls4083

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sls4083

I like it...couldn't stop thinking about it...had a laugh in Lowes over the weekend with the outlets (receptacles) and finally gave in and bought it! Electrifying!

mellielou

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mellielou

I liked it for the mere fun of it. Will I look at the receptacles in my house a little different? Sure. I got it as a Father's Day gift for my Electrician husband. And as sloppy as it is, we use the word "outlet".

rlapid2112

quality posts: 9 Private Messages rlapid2112
mellielou wrote:I liked it for the mere fun of it. Will I look at the receptacles in my house a little different? Sure. I got it as a Father's Day gift for my Electrician husband. And as sloppy as it is, we use the word "outlet".

Very funny shirt

bugdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bugdog

My god! This explains why every single outlet in our house is installed upside down! The previous home owner must have thought they really were watching him...

djelusich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djelusich

Add another shirt to my electrically themed closet.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Got one for my brother in law, an electrician, and he loved it.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.