AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
logicbocks wrote:this shirt would have been perfect without text. but i love it anyway.

I'll give you one out of three: the text here makes this a marmaduke comic. Not that this particular layout doesn't require the joke being spelled out (the fortune cookie strip coming out of the dead one would probably make the most sense) but regardless of requirement, there's a reason no one finds marmaduke, or heathcliff, or the family circus, etc etc, funny. It's basic show-don't-tell. This is a definitive example of why text is so often disallowed, and why it should always be.

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
Re: Betrayed

Did we win?

batman8001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages batman8001
Re: Global warming

I would vote +1 with a quickness if there was an "s" added to the end.

marubladewing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marubladewing
Re: The Cheese Doodle Abides

Awesome. Just awesome.

Karikokitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Karikokitty

But I like the red gummi bears so much better than the orange ones....why does it look like the orange ones are winning?

Anyway, this is pretty awesome.

aksthomp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aksthomp

Hi Y'all... this my first shirt ever to enter on this site. Hope you like it! Vote if you do!

juliaL719

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719
mailmanmo wrote:Yes. And perhaps some small print explaining the joke to dullards?

It's not that we're dullards.

It's just about as poorly executed as your standard "dad joke."

You know, the kind that is followed by "heh, GET IT?"

PixelPants

quality posts: 70 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Self Serve

Parents of young anthropomorphic ice-creams live in fear that their young will discover how good they taste and eat their kind out of existence.
Thanks for the votes and comments from many who I consider the best anthropomorphisisers at shirt.woot.

collinvh

quality posts: 67 Private Messages collinvh
mattcom wrote:The real mystery here is why the camera man is taking a picture OF US.

I guess it isn't really clear that the camera is between the track and the crowd facing the infield.

popyea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages popyea
Zagazoo wrote:Good concept though I think it would be greatly improved by having some sort of background or hints at one. Maybe they were slumber partying or something and you could do all the sleeping bags and various discarded food wrappers, just something to aid your theme of fast food forever friends.

Yeah, i prefer my designs to be stark and without noise. I really don't appreciate a person's desire for back-story on a tshirt.
Especially one that compromises overall tone.

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: The Siege

dunno why i didn't look at this before, it is great! I love all the little details voted!

sk8ngli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sk8ngli
Re: Sorry, boys.

This is not normally my style, but if this printed, I would definitely buy one. Too true not to own this.

Itzpyd4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Itzpyd4

Want one with no text.

jboshaw

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
laggyg wrote:*coughliederkranzcough*

that shirt is considered a parody, much like poison, forbidden future, the binge, it came out of no where, if i only had a brain, and actual cats hooo!

this shirt used too much copyrighted material without enough parody.

Papaya79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Papaya79
AdderXYU wrote:I'll give you one out of three: the text here makes this a marmaduke comic. Not that this particular layout doesn't require the joke being spelled out (the fortune cookie strip coming out of the dead one would probably make the most sense) but regardless of requirement, there's a reason no one finds marmaduke, or heathcliff, or the family circus, etc etc, funny. It's basic show-don't-tell. This is a definitive example of why text is so often disallowed, and why it should always be.

Say wha?? This is a prime example of making absolutes over what is subjective. Obviously SOMEONE found these examples humorous, otherwise they never would have been "comic strips". And the fortune DID come out of the broken cookie, that's the whole point. If someone needs that spelled out, then many of the designs of this derby will be beyond comprehension.

Tjost, welcome back, it's been a while. Just keep doing what you do best!!

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
Re: Twinkie Junky

Clever!

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
ochopika wrote:i usually wear my food, but this time i can do it on purpose!

Hey - love your submission this week. Hoping it gets some more love!!

zpank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zpank
Re: medieval food

Not that the food pyramid was ever anything more than scam to get Americans really fat, the current first lady has done away with it and replaced it with a new concept call MyPlate. Thank you Big Sistah
http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

grrlmarvel

Re: Even jalapenos run from them...

I really love your characters. GMV.

grrlmarvel

Re: The Cheese Doodle Abides

You know I always dig your texture and lines and this just a great pun/idea.

Side question: what font do you use? Looooove it!

grrlmarvel

Re: Food of the Future

This is one of my dad's fav movies. If it doesn't print here... well you know where to find me. This is a perfect bday gift for him.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
grrlmarvel wrote:You know I always dig your texture and lines and this just a great pun/idea.

Side question: what font do you use? Looooove it!

thanks grrlmarvel!
its called "chinese rocks"

grrlmarvel

thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • He baked a muffin that stole my car!

THATROBERT - thanks for calling this one out. This is one of the ones I really wanted a shirt of.

renegadetim

quality posts: 12 Private Messages renegadetim
wootertim wrote:I didn't get the joke in the beginning, too. I thought that these two guys were cheese - but they are fortune cookies :-)

I know they're fortune cookies, I know the one reading the fortune got the fortune from the other one... but what's the bad news? Fortune cookies have positive insights or fortunes, I simply don't follow the "bad news" here. He died because he gave the fortune? Really, that's the amazing joke everyone loveS?

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2
ramyb wrote:saved

you just knocked a perfectly good shirt out of the fog with this drivel.

creativehack

quality posts: 29 Private Messages creativehack
Re: Vegging Out

I hate it when you make a perfectly good broccoli and carrot soup then someone drops a turd in it...

RAMPage Soccer for your iPad

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
renegadetim wrote:I know they're fortune cookies, I know the one reading the fortune got the fortune from the other one... but what's the bad news? Fortune cookies have positive insights or fortunes, I simply don't follow the "bad news" here. He died because he gave the fortune? Really, that's the amazing joke everyone loveS?

I'll try to explain it in some of the ways I look at it. The standing cookie is stateing an obvious fact, that something bad has happened but the viewer can look at it in several ways as shown below.

1. The cookie reading the fortune is oblivious to the dire straights his friend is in (despite having plucked the fortune from his cracked head) and is instead referencing bad news that doesn't even pertain to the current situation that is presented in his friends fortune, ie your going to lose your job, your significant other is cheating on you etc.

2. The standing cookie acknowledges his friends condition but in an effort to calm him down till help arrives he reads his exposed fortune that usually contains something vaugely positive to lighten the mood. However instead of something to help them look on the bright side the fortune contains something far more ominous, perhaps pertaining to his friends immenent demise ie your luck has run out or some other "misfortune".

There could be other ways of looking at it but those are some of the ways that I thought of while creating it. I wanted to leave it open to the viewer to substitute their own story into the shirt though Hope that helps, it kinda losses some of the zing when explained I guess, but some people find it amusing so I'm glad.

Thanks again everyone who's supported this design. I've been away from the derbies for several months almost, busy with work, sickness and travel, but I'm glad to be back.

Sorry too for not commenting on many others designs this week, time again was an issue but there were some great pieces Onward to the next derby!

futhermore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages futhermore
renegadetim wrote:I know they're fortune cookies, I know the one reading the fortune got the fortune from the other one... but what's the bad news? Fortune cookies have positive insights or fortunes, I simply don't follow the "bad news" here. He died because he gave the fortune? Really, that's the amazing joke everyone loveS?

Yes it is. The amazingly simple and cute joke that everyone loves. Perfect for a tee shirt, people can understand it and enjoy it at a glance.

Try not to overthink it. ^.^

You may have noticed I'm not all there myself.

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester
juliaL719 wrote:It's not that we're dullards.

It's just about as poorly executed as your standard "dad joke."

You know, the kind that is followed by "heh, GET IT?"

It's not the pun that kills it, we've seen a cheesy pun shirt before at woot with "Knock, Knock." I own that one and it is a fun little shirt that seems to get more comments then woot shirts that I own which people might consider more artsy or more pop culture.

That said, I'll mention again that mushrooms are badly placed. I think if those 'shrooms were cantalopes this shirt would be rejected out right for being a booby shirt.

aar0n5150

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aar0n5150

Gorgeous colors, great art, great concept, I love this!!

dmaz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz
Re: In the Library With the Wrench

I have A LOT of friends who would love this shirt! Definitely in for 3 if it prints! Great Design!

dmaz

Re: lactose intolerant!

I think this is by far the funniest shirt in the derby and the funniest woot shirt I've seen in a while. It stands in stark contrast from all of the usual "cute" designs that people make with a derby theme like this. Well done!

renegadetim

quality posts: 12 Private Messages renegadetim
tjost wrote:I'll try to explain it in some of the ways I look at it. The standing cookie is stateing an obvious fact, that something bad has happened but the viewer can look at it in several ways as shown below.

1. The cookie reading the fortune is oblivious to the dire straights his friend is in (despite having plucked the fortune from his cracked head) and is instead referencing bad news that doesn't even pertain to the current situation that is presented in his friends fortune, ie your going to lose your job, your significant other is cheating on you etc.

2. The standing cookie acknowledges his friends condition but in an effort to calm him down till help arrives he reads his exposed fortune that usually contains something vaugely positive to lighten the mood. However instead of something to help them look on the bright side the fortune contains something far more ominous, perhaps pertaining to his friends immenent demise ie your luck has run out or some other "misfortune".

There could be other ways of looking at it but those are some of the ways that I thought of while creating it. I wanted to leave it open to the viewer to substitute their own story into the shirt though Hope that helps, it kinda losses some of the zing when explained I guess, but some people find it amusing so I'm glad.

Thanks again everyone who's supported this design. I've been away from the derbies for several months almost, busy with work, sickness and travel, but I'm glad to be back.

Sorry too for not commenting on many others designs this week, time again was an issue but there were some great pieces Onward to the next derby!

Thanks for the explanation Tjost! That along with the post after yours in response to my question cleared things up for me.

But, you shouldn't feel bad about having to explain it. It looks as if I was the only one who didn't quite understand, so it's more of the joke whooshing over my head than not being clear. With it shooting to the fog, and everyone commenting on the love for this shirt, I feel quite dumb in overcomplicating the simple joke and not understanding. I predict this to place, but this is a strong derby so we will see.

Either way, thanks for the explanation and I don't think it will take away from the joke for anyone. Good luck!

dmaz

Re: lactose intolerant!

The carrot SOOOO reminds me of that old Winnie the Pooh episode - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43qbj4VQYyE
1:20

partimejudas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages partimejudas
Re: Graaains!

Is this an intentional Left for Dead 2 joke? I find it hilarious. and a little sad that I remember trivial video game snippets over real knowledge...

Now 100% chock full of little wind-up robots!

carol2bs1grl

quality posts: 8 Private Messages carol2bs1grl
Re: Not that Easy

Makes me smile every time I see it!

godlyoverlord

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godlyoverlord
partimejudas wrote:Is this an intentional Left for Dead 2 joke? I find it hilarious. and a little sad that I remember trivial video game snippets over real knowledge...

I've never played Left for Dead 2, so I guess it's not intentional. I was just trying to be witty by making zombie toast that said "grains" instead of "brains". What was the reference, by the way?

r0ksana

quality posts: 8 Private Messages r0ksana
Re: Let's make it a dozen

It's a travesty this shirt hasn't gotten more love! Awesome work!

zwartepaard

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zwartepaard
Re: In the Library With the Wrench

If this prints, I will buy it. And that's not a comment I just throw around to make designers feel good about themselves :P

naeylonsidhe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages naeylonsidhe
everlore wrote:I like it, but I don't think most people will get the play on words. I didn't until I read the post. But then, maybe I'm just slow.

I thought it was very clear. But then, I did just watch the whole series a couple of weeks ago, so it's still fresh in my mind. ;)