WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Summer's the time for summer reading around Shirt.Woot, and we want you guys to help spread the word! This week we're looking for shirts that celebrate the great entertainers: books! Whether it's an ode to your local library, a send-up of your favorite genre or author, or just a depiction of your favorite quiet little reading spot, show us your appreciation for the written word and all it's done for us. Of course, you'll need to follow the rules:

• No text-only designs. Your design must have some graphical element.
  • No Star Wars.
  • Obviously, copyrighted characters and celebrity author likenesses are off limits.

Quality Posts

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz

As a bibliophile I am really looking forward to this one.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Neat theme! But I just have one question...

What's a book?

Note: I wish there would be another restriction- No Mario.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Oh cool! I have a design in my sketchbook that I've wanted to do for ages. It would be great for this theme. :D

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

If this derby is half as entertaining as the "Classic Literature Mashup" derby, we're all in for a treat.

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64

This is the first derby in a while that an idea popped into my head right away. Now to do some searching to see if something like it exists already.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Ohhh text is allowed... hmm. Hopefully I can find the time to get something done.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli

Oooh, I do love books! And now that I'm done with the conference presentation I've been analyzing data for over the last several weeks, I might actually have time to work on something!

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie

Think I might rework a previous sub... http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=50161
Feels more appropriate for this weeks derby.

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

I only know a little about copyright law, are quotes from books allowed?

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Yay books! Fun theme.

almsforoblivion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages almsforoblivion

That's fantastic! I just created a book-themed design for something unrelated. It fits this prompt pretty perfectly, though. I think I might submit it here.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Are Mark Twain, Shakespeare, or Dante considered celebrity authors? Or does "celebrity author" = J.K. Rowling, Nicolas Sparks, etc?

dramallama56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dramallama56

Yeah am I allowed to have book titles in my design? Like if I wanted to make a book with "Harry Potter" on the spine, would that be okay?

iamcptnawesome

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iamcptnawesome
dramallama56 wrote:Yeah am I allowed to have book titles in my design? Like if I wanted to make a book with "Harry Potter" on the spine, would that be okay?

I would avoid it, maybe you could title it something that would make people recognize it, but without being so explicit. Like maybe (just an example) The Sorcerer and the Stone. But that is just my opinion.

dramallama56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dramallama56
iamcptnawesome wrote:I would avoid it, maybe you could title it something that would make people recognize it, but without being so explicit. Like maybe (just an example) The Sorcerer and the Stone. But that is just my opinion.

Hm. Maybe so.

craftyminou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages craftyminou

I have high expectations for this derby, I LOVE books!

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
nblottie wrote:Think I might rework a previous sub... http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=50161

Dude that is awesome and more than appropriate for this derby. I am angry at you though. I had thought of something similar. Now I have to revise and come up with some thing else.

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07

I really ❤ Books! Seriously looking forward to this derby.

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172

Meh...Books are okay but I love Star Wars and text only designs. Also, I am all about some characters full with copyright issues. I guess I will sit this one out.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

A few clarifications...

No comic books/graphic novels. We'll do that some other derby. Same goes for magazines, newspapers, pamphlets and so on. E-readers qualify as books as long as it's clear that it's an e-reader and the design is book related. Putting something that looks like an iPad on a shirt doesn't automatically make it book related. I know someone would do this, so let's put the brakes on it right now.

As far as celebrity likenesses... it's kind of a case by case basis. As a general rule of thumb, if they have an estate that still controls their image, name, likeness, etc. then stay away. Just being dead isn't enough to make a person fair game. Do at your own risk.

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69

Why post the new derby theme on Thursday instead of Wednesday? I don't know how the designers feel about it (day off vs. extra day) but Wednesday would make more sense to me since the derby closes at noon anyway.

Whatever. Good luck this week. Let's see some good bookworm designs.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
tgentry wrote:Just being dead isn't enough to make a person fair game.

i think this should be sold on a tee shirt.

or possibly a fortune cookie.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
nblottie wrote:Think I might rework a previous sub... http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=50161

you should come up with a new idea instead of resubbing something we've already seen.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I'm not up to the artwork, though if I were to try anytime, it would be this week if not for the family emergency we're dealing with...however, things that popped into my head (as if anyone cares what I'm interested in):

+ Dad and kid reading together, maybe under the blankets with a flashlight

Variations on a sun + books theme:

+ person reading in tanning bed in a library

+ person reading in lounge chair on the beach with a shelf full of books.

+ person reading on lounge chair in a public library...where they are surrounded by beachy type things, sand under the chair, bucket and shovel, shells, crab.

...my brain is weird sometimes.

Anyway, hope some of these images help spark anyone who doesn't have an idea already.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
stingray69 wrote:Why post the new derby theme on Thursday instead of Wednesday? I don't know how the designers feel about it (day off vs. extra day) but Wednesday would make more sense to me since the derby closes at noon anyway.

Whatever. Good luck this week. Let's see some good bookworm designs.

This has been suggested in the past, and gained traction a couple weeks ago when they pretty much did just that. I know even the staff support an extra day, don't know why they haven't implemented it yet. Maybe the WootBot needs a defrag or something.

iamcptnawesome

amidsummersdream by iamcptnawesome, on Flickr

Click for a larger picture.

What do you guys think of this, suggestions?

kairanie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kairanie
dramallama56 wrote:Yeah am I allowed to have book titles in my design? Like if I wanted to make a book with "Harry Potter" on the spine, would that be okay?

I don't know about how those who run the derby feel, but in terms of strict copyright law, book title are non-copyrightable, so I don't think you could get in legal trouble from putting a title on the spine of the book so long as you aren't using other elements, such as cover art, which are copyrightable.

nblottie

Leahbh wrote:you should come up with a new idea instead of resubbing something we've already seen.

I agree to a point, my idea is to significantly update the design and make it more fun. Hopefully even with the same base theme, you'll still like it!

cruelnv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cruelnv

I don't expect these to do well, but I think they're kind of fun anyway. A little bit of Braille for the vision impaired. The top one says "rainbow" and the bottom says "reading."

My questions are:
-Which should I go with?
-What color should I put it on?
-Should I distress it?

Thanks for the input. Good luck, everyone! I'm hoping to see some really cool designs for this one!

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other user(s). Please keep in mind that these are only opinions and should not be inherently considered as factual statements. Thank you.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

If a book is in the public domain (published 1922 or before) can that be used?

iamcptnawesome

cruelnv wrote:I don't expect these to do well, but I think they're kind of fun anyway. A little bit of Braille for the vision impaired. The top one says "rainbow" and the bottom says "reading."

My questions are:
-Which should I go with?
-Should I distress it?

Thanks for the input. Good luck, everyone! I'm hoping to see some really cool designs for this one!

I, personally, would do 'reading'. If you could do it, maybe 'I heart reading' or 'I love reading' would fair better in the Derby.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
cruelnv wrote:I don't expect these to do well, but I think they're kind of fun anyway. A little bit of Braille for the vision impaired. The top one says "rainbow" and the bottom says "reading."

Put them both on the same shirt and it's a double rainbow all the way.

I think it's a fun idea. You need some indigo/purple in there somehow.

Maybe try it on the new silver shirt color. I'm tired of asphalt...

bellisperennis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellisperennis

My questions are:
-Which should I go with?
-Should I distress it?

I would go with the "reading" one.

People will complain about asphalt being overused, but I think it would make the colors pop the best.

And I would say yes, distress it. It won't look quite so plain that way.

blackbirdmist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackbirdmist

I can't help but be excited about this derby.

Cantatus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Cantatus

Awesome! Really looking forward to seeing what people come up with for this one.

bellisperennis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellisperennis
bassanimation wrote:Oh cool! I have a design in my sketchbook that I've wanted to do for ages. It would be great for this theme. :D

Don't you just love it when that happens? I have one as well that has been waiting patiently for the right derby.

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

the treasure of knowledge

Work in process

nblottie

walmazan wrote:the treasure of knowledge

Work in process

Really great concept. Love it, you'll have my vote as always!

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
walmazan wrote:the treasure of knowledge
Work in process

Need more gold, less books ... :D

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"