megsyjane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megsyjane

I think this is your best tshirt yet Pixelpants! I enjoyed looking for all the pop culture references present and past.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Shmuel510 wrote:I do wonder about the use of the spelling "metres" for an American TV show theme song... I'd amend that to "meters" for the final draft, if possible. That said, I love it and I hope it prints!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

@Shmuel510 Oh man, that's embarrassing. If I'm fortunate enough for this to print, I'll correct the spelling. Thanks for the heads up...

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: A Grimm Tale

That little girl is awesome.

roysterer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages roysterer
Re: A Catchy Theme Song

I simply cannot express how awesome this is. Fortunately the awesomeness is self-evident.

roysterer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages roysterer
Re: Gnomes and Molearty

This reminds me of the detective skunk one. I'm still upset that didn't get printed.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: reading between the lines

haha! Amazing! +1

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
melfox86 wrote:This is like Actual Cats, HOOO- taking the cartoon character, and showing the real life version. I don't know why people dislike this so much! I can imagine someone looking around for inspiration and seeing the fishbowl have a lightbulb go off.

Except "Actual cats, HOOOO" ALSO isn't a parody. It is a cash-in on someone else's work with ZERO concept. So yes, I guess you're still right, it's EXACTLY like that tee, and all others like it. The main difference is that Kari has created distinctive work before.

nichele27

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nichele27
Re: 919.6 : Islands of the South Pacific

This is brilliant!! Love it GMV

AdderXYU

Re: Epic Battle

Sometimes, I think that a shirt that says "Breathing: You Do It!" would be the ultimate tee, because it'd be the most obvious reference to something we all know.

Once again, like the entire non-art collective spawned from desu jones, there is zero to this. No quality of execution, for sure, but especially no originality of design. Only two sorts of people have never heard this idea before: people who are lucky enough to not know potter/tolkien nerds, and people who don't exist. If you're somehow in a third category, congratulations, you somehow avoided the most overthought idea in nerd-dom.

And for the love of all that is holy, how is Harry Potter not a copyrighted character? "Obviously, copyrighted characters and celebrity author likenesses are off limits." Well, with these peeps, it clearly is not obvious, and when this isn't rejected, it will be even less obvious. Follow your own rules, and punish those who neglect to EVER do so.

AdderXYU

dryfly4life wrote:the equation reads, Men like women + Women like books = Men like books

I see what looks like "The Devil Wears Prada," which throws your whole concept off, because that is not a book so much as a collection of pages with text on them.

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
Re: Scary Stories (resub)

I'm so sorry about the title snafu!! I breezed the derby before entering and I only saw Rogerogeroger's "Ghost stories" but not this one I could take mine down and re-sub with a different title if you like. Great minds think alike right, haha. Anyway, very cute shirt. GMV for an excellent concept:P tehe Sorry again:/

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle

This is awesome! I feel like I can relate to that kid. Definitely GMV

AdderXYU

midgerock wrote:However you feel about it, this is a design inspired by the recent revisionist attacks on Mark Twain’s Huck Finn and their desire to expunge all racial slurs within. This is not the first time people want to revise or censor American Literature. Such is our American heritage hence the name.

Here's a link to a larger jpeg of the design for review

Though to be fair, there's really only one way to feel about it.

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

laggyg wrote:The best defense is a good offense! She should be hurling the book THROUGH the tv screen to really drive home her point...haha j/k

Keep up the nice work! GMV as usual =)

thanks laggy! I was thinking of some way for her to attack the robot, i guess she could use a pencil-laser or something...

AdderXYU

Re: Shelf Life

when you bring your a-game, it can be a lovely thing.

ochopika

Staff

liltaka02 wrote:this is a really cool design. Please keep making/creating more designs

I'll keep submitting until I win or get really bored or throw my horrible scanner out the window

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Re: Book Worm v.2

Hehehee, I like the book title there.
Cute munchy face on the worm too.

marzipanapple

Re: Imagination running wild

I like the idea and the simple shapes/colors...though I think this would've been made better by either more animals popping out or a tie-in to a specific book.

marzipanapple

Re: Gnomes and Molearty - VERSION2

I could be wrong, but my latest affair with the BBC's modern version of Sherlock might be swaying my decision here.

Aw heck, doesn't matter! I like it! Your character designs are never boring, Spirit.

ochopika

Staff

marzipanapple wrote:This is great. I really like the coloring-book type quality it has. A little rough around the edges, but still very well executed. The way the girl is stylized gives this a nice touch too. Plus, the message is an awesome one.

Im glad you like the style! I'm working on making my designs either smoother or more detailed.
As far as concept goes, its actually really hard to come up with the simple, witty concepts that win most of the time. I dunno if how I can practice getting better at that.

Everyone post more process videos!

marzipanapple

Re: Bi-curious George

I got a good laugh out of this. I wonder what mischief he'll cause today?

viscosity2004

quality posts: 7 Private Messages viscosity2004
Re: I Love Books

I like this, but the letters bother me since it looks like bad anti-aliasing on the edges.

ochopika

Staff

I also like it! +1
I love monsters.

PixelPants

quality posts: 69 Private Messages PixelPants

This is 6 colours. Nice pick up on the purple being made up of halftones jodeye79. They are clearer on the detail below.

Narfcake wrote:Hopefully there are enough folks to notice and vote for this too. Sunday submissions have tended not to fare so well, what with two less voting days.

I generally run this risk because most designs are started a day into each derby and this one took a bit longer. We'll have to wait and see.

Tvae wrote:Is... Is that Redwall?

Yes it is.
I did a quick count. There are around 50 book references, so hopefully something for everyone. Thanks for all the supportive comments. I'm glad to see it connecting with so many people for all sorts of reasons.

blackwhite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackwhite
AnnaJo wrote:Great color choices and I love the large graphic placement with the pen anchoring the center of the design.

Thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback!

gaia18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gaia18
Re: Walking the plank

I don't particularly like the design. I think it would have looked better if it was cleaner. I do LOVE that you used a non-'i' product though. GMV.

zosai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai
Re: Literary fail

sad to see this fall out of the hotness, I would love to see it print! GMV!

zosai

Re: Reading Rocket Ship

this is really good. GMV!

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
bassanimation wrote:This is so adorable!!! You do such great characters, Nblottie! +1!

Thanks. You too. There's such a great group of artists on this site. Every week I'm tempted by so many awesome shirt designs.

zosai

such great details! (and nice to see the Hobbit/LOTR get some prime real estate)

GMV!

marzipanapple

Re: The Real Treasure

You are such a chameleon, and I love you for it! Never a dull design.

PixelPants

quality posts: 69 Private Messages PixelPants

This is fantastic marzipanapple. It's a lesson in good t-shirt design. A seemingly simple image with layers of detail that reveal themselves the more you look. Really like the mix of styles between the girl and the shadows too, and the effective use of the shirt.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Hands down the gem of this week's contest in my personal opinion. All the details are so wonderfully orchestrated.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
PixelPants wrote:This is fantastic marzipanapple. It's a lesson in good t-shirt design. A seemingly simple image with layers of detail that reveal themselves the more you look. Really like the mix of styles between the girl and the shadows too, and the effective use of the shirt.

Even better than I could have said it...it's a great design.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
Re: Dirty little secret.

Collaboration between myself and Ignorant. With a nod to Jeus for fleshing out the idea. ;)

4 colors on slate.

Nothing follows.

burtonrider404

quality posts: 0 Private Messages burtonrider404
Re: Choose Your Own Bible Adventure!

This is spooky good

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Epic Battle

This shirt and it's entire thread makes my head hurt.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

x3xleggedxninja

quality posts: 3 Private Messages x3xleggedxninja
dofnup wrote:TROLL'D

HAHA this made me laugh pretty hard.

blackwhite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackwhite
fluchtpunkt wrote:Looks great, and I love the dragon wrapping itself around that pen!

As a potential purchaser: I'd have liked this shirt better without the text. It's not because of the phrase itself (you can find basically the same phrase in other languages, too), just I'm not fond of wearing English text in my non-English environment.

That's understandable, I hope that the design far out powers the text. I thought of the texts as more of a small second point of interest.

Thanks for the feed back.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
bethlp wrote:I love the dainty paw!

Thank you!