tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: Shelf Life

Nice Mr Pants, very nice indeed.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: Book Worm of Dune

I like the nod to "The Far Side," Larson and Dune are both favorites of mine. Gr8 combo.
+1
BlindDog3D

epmocku

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epmocku
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=53747]A

I really like this shirt...I wish I could vote hundreds of more times...

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

Thank you so much! Getting *any* comments is awesome, but when I'm graced with reasons I feel extra lucky. It's always nice to know what I might've done right(or wrong).

Thanks guys.

jimwel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimwel
Re: Sirius B Family Tree

J.K. Rowling must enjoy stargazing...

rglee129

quality posts: 27 Private Messages rglee129
Re: Bastian's Nightlight

Very nice shading! JK is right, though- it's too high up and will prolly get rejected. Get a resub ready and hopefully it will get more momentum than this one.

rglee129

quality posts: 27 Private Messages rglee129
Spiritgreen wrote:I'm getting Community flashbacks. @_@

Did you see the Levar Burton episode, Robbie? (so good)

I didn't see it. That's the Chevy Chase community college show, right?

I wanted to use Mr. Burton for the "Take a Look" illo, in which someone is grabbing Geordi's (sp?) visor, but that would be instantly rejected. Dang.

molarr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages molarr
Re: Penguins can't read the manual

Love it! will buy at least 5 of them. the expression is priceless!!! Flight manual..HA!

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Scary Stories

A great way to reanimate a classic story truffleshuffle.

cruelnv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cruelnv

Great job with this. I love a good design that you can stare at and slowly digest piece by piece.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other user(s). Please keep in mind that these are only opinions and should not be inherently considered as factual statements. Thank you.

wheatunrye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wheatunrye
Re: Penguins can't read the manual

Yes the book says "Flight" it's to small to read on the thumbnail, but it's big enough on the printed shirt.

PixelPants

Re: Sketchbook

Inspiring array of items, literally spilling out of the book. A different drawing style from some of your other designs, Naolito, but still painstakingly drawn to your usual high standard.

PixelPants

Re: The Real Treasure

Great sense of movement across the shirt. I like the contrast of the crisp lettering to the animated books walmazan.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

I just came back to stare at this again and let you know that I really hope it sees a print.

PixelPants

Re: Literary fail

KFC will have you for copyright infringement if you insist on using Colonal Sanders likeness.

fishbiscuit5

Re: Lewis Carroll Was Such a Card

Simply gorgeous, Loopy! GMV!

fishbiscuit5

Re: Scary Stories

Aw, those poor children's books. Great design.

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

Very well done!

laggyg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages laggyg
ochopika wrote:thanks laggy! I was thinking of some way for her to attack the robot, i guess she could use a pencil-laser or something...

Well you know the old saying, I'm sure...

"The pencil-laser is mightier than the robot...with a sword"

...or something like that =P

ochopika wrote:I'll keep submitting until I win or get really bored or throw my horrible scanner out the window

Stick with option 1. Please? =)
I really enjoy your style and look forward to seeing your entries each derby...keep up the great work! You'll print soon enough, I'm sure! And then I can wait till the day AFTER you print to buy it and help fund that new scanner =D haha

ochopika wrote:Im glad you like the style! I'm working on making my designs either smoother or more detailed.
As far as concept goes, its actually really hard to come up with the simple, witty concepts that win most of the time. I dunno if how I can practice getting better at that.

Everyone post more process videos!

Who knows where inspiration comes from? I'm not sure it's really something you can practice, so much as it's something you either have or don't. And, in my humble opinion, you HAVE IT! Yeah, I guess you could get "artist's block" from time to time, but your designs are always very creative and well-thought-out from what I've seen. Keep it up =)

blinddog3d

In the glow of his flashlight, his imagination comes to life! Bastian and the Neverending Stories. Mine was "Tanglewood Tales" by Nathaniel Hawthorne. He got me hooked on Greek Mythology and sent me looking for Homer.

5 colors on Midnight Black. White, lemon yellow, vermillion, olive green, and cobalt blue.

Here's My Original Design. Image opens to full view.

Gimme a Vote.
BlindDog3D

laggyg

Just to name a few I haven't seen mentioned yet...

Nice "42" you have there. Whoever created the filters on this site will be proud =P hahaha

Dr.Seuss with the green eggs and ham

James and the Giant Peach

I've got a Golden Ticket and I'm off to see the Wizard at the same time! hahaha

I could stare at this for hours it HAS TO PRINT!

But for the life of me, I can't seem to find...

Tvae wrote:Is... Is that Redwall?

...unless it's that building right above James and his peach in the red color? If so cool...but I was really hoping for a mouse or badger or rabbit weilding a weapon somewhere when I read that. Either way, this shirt is "A and B the C of D, wot wot!" even though it doesn't have "I am, that is" in sight...

brushfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brushfire
trezhurisland wrote:yeah, in hind-sight i probably woulda done something like that

I think you should act like you meant to do it that way, I think it's cute!

theokayandrew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theokayandrew
Re: 919.6 : Islands of the South Pacific

Out of all the designs, this one is my favorite.

greenlightgo722

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greenlightgo722
Re: Oh No Not Again!

I want this design so badly! AAAAHHH!

laggyg

Also I forgot to mention...I really enjoy how you worked Moby into the blue section, but were able to leave him white without being glaringly out of place so it makes sense in the design. Nice job!

stripedsocks wrote:I love this design and want to buy it for every student in my Literature class, for my kids who love 'Where's Wally?' and for me because 'The Little Prince' is such as wonderful read. I really hope this wins, it outshines all the others!

Not to be a nitpicker, but his name is "Waldo" not "Wally" haha =P

thewayisshut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thewayisshut

Oh, wow. The detail is amazing! I'm impressed, and I'm not impressed easily. Well done! I hope this prints, and if it does I hope the final shirt prints well, with all the detail intact.

laggyg

HOLY CRAP there's only 5 colors on this!?! AMAZING color work...and here I thought you were blind =P

GMV! Excellent!

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

This has the luminosity of black light posters. Wow, man.

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64

There are so many things that I recognize this is a really awesome design.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

This is off the charts amazing sir. I know you have the alien hand as the kid's light, but I'm thinking I would personally like the composition better if the alien was removed and the other characters were moved down. regardless though, this piece shows some insane ability on your part.

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64
Radscoolian wrote:You can always use a gradient mesh instead of radial or linear gradients.
Also, you should play with the angle of your halftones. I find that a 45 degree angle seems to make them look better.

I typically work in photoshop, and I find that It is easier to make gradients with the tools it provides.

Thanks for the help, I never used the gradient mesh before. Looks like I have so learning to do before next derby.

marzipanapple wrote:I like the idea and the simple shapes/colors...though I think this would've been made better by either more animals popping out or a tie-in to a specific book.

I was trying to go for a subtle harry potter reference with the stag, Harry's patronus, but maybe the design needs a little bit more of a HP hint.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
rowanmikaio wrote:I doubt anyone will get too confused, since they can't read it in the traditional manner, anyway ^_^

You said what I was thinking. And much more eloquently.

andrewdanger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewdanger
Re: London and his Dogs

looks a little too similar to this:

I hope it doesn't get rejected.

blinddog3d

SkipSpell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SkipSpell
Re: you read. i book.

Before a copyrighted electronic device with a certain fruit engraving on it, people used to read with.... printed pages.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
laggyg wrote:Who knows where inspiration comes from? I'm not sure it's really something you can practice, so much as it's something you either have or don't. And, in my humble opinion, you HAVE IT! Yeah, I guess you could get "artist's block" from time to time, but your designs are always very creative and well-thought-out from what I've seen. Keep it up =)

Oh I'll keep on with it, don't worry. I just want to work on simplifying my ideas so they are clearer, but I'm glad some people do understand the concepts.

I will get a new scanner as soon as possible, mine is really ridiculous. It randomly scans things in really tiny and crooked, then sometimes it just turns off for no reason. I'm beginning to think it was made as a practical joke for Mac users.

blinddog3d

Drakxxx wrote:This is off the charts amazing sir. I know you have the alien hand as the kid's light, but I'm thinking I would personally like the composition better if the alien was removed and the other characters were moved down. regardless though, this piece shows some insane ability on your part.

My wife didn't like the alien, either, but it has grown on her and she loves him-er uh, her now.
I was gonna do an astronaut, but the suit was insane and after logging 26 hours on this, I just wanted to finish before church this morning! (that was the deal I made with the wifey, leave me alone til Sunday morning)

I used the alien to add the blue haze to contrast the stark orange light. Of course, the alien is modeled after ET, so I thought I could get some "heart-light Love!?"

Actually, his flashlight is his guiding light to adventure, get it, the alien was just for colour.
Thanks for stopping by and thank you for the props for my mad skills. (insane-mad, punny?)
BlindDog3D

laggyg

megahertz67 wrote:But do you know what a plethora is?

Every time I see/hear the word "plethora" I can't help but think of this act by The Vestibules which is hilarious IMO.

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520
Re: you read. i book.

Before a copyrighted electronic device with a certain fruit engraving on it, people used to read with.... printed pages.

laggyg

pharmacide wrote:The e-reader is part of the joke though.

It's pretty much the WHOLE joke, actually...no?