gwyn779

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwyn779
sonyaaimee wrote:it would be so much better if it said just "unwritten" but i still like it.

Or just "My Life" instead of "My Life Story."

stardamsel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages stardamsel
Re: Bastian's Nightlight

Dang, son! GMV, fer sure. O_o

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64
Re: Reading Rocket Ship

Very creative idea!

gwyn779

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwyn779
Re: Literary fail

I feel that without the shirt title, this would cause a great many people to simply think the person wearing it is an human. Don't get me wrong, it's hilarious, but maybe just takes too long to get on its own for a shirt.

goatcane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goatcane
drgribb wrote:lol what a newb. Is this what your high school english teacher told you? You miss the point that literature can be interpreted in a multitude of different ways and often, no single interpretation is correct, unless explicitly stated by the author. I don't think a correct understanding of the book necessarily requires a strict interpretation of "whale = jesus/god." To quote the film the big lebowski, "that's just, like, your opinion, man." Also, learn to form your own opinions and stop regurgitating someone else's interpretation
Additionally, pretty sure I saw this get rejected in a past derby a while back...

For what it's worth... and I know no one cares at this point;

I 100% agree that literature should be interpreted by the reader and not a forced interpretation by a professor (or even the author itself.) The subjective critical analysis of the written word is, by it's very nature, subjective.

I happened to attend a (fairly) prestigious university, where I was specifically on the "wrong" side of the universally accepted interpretation of Moby D. Ahab = Job is the most universal "Norton" interpretation. I believe that Ahab = Job's Wife, which paints his obsession in completely different hue.

Yes, I submitted this design in a previous "books as shirts" derby and it was rejected then too. This is to date my favorite design; I like that it sparks debate about literature, religion, etc... I had no reason to believe it wouldn't get rejected, but I had accurately assumed it would get people thinking and talking.

All that stated, I will go on record noting that it is still amazing that in 2011 people get up in arms over a crudely depicted cartoon whale on an even more crudely depicted cross.

batman8001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages batman8001
urjewishgirl wrote:I actually like this idea and think you should resubmit it with an accurate thumbnail since that is all that it was rejected for

It's not too late for the design it to take the derby by surprise and for it to reach the fog

I second this bill.

cbradleyowens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbradleyowens
Re: The Classics

I looove this. So cute.

phineus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phineus
hankescu wrote:One color on cream looks kinda cheap...

Because of the color? I wanted to avoid white because I know a lot of people here have an aversion to white tees, but now I'm starting to think maybe silver or even grass might work better.

k3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages k3
Re: Shelf Life

I LOVE THIS SHIRT!!!!! IT IS A MUST PRINT!!!!

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: Lewis Carroll Was Such a Card

Love how this one-color print looks on the shirt Infinity!! Would definitely buy this for my lil sis.

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: Illiterate rainbow

This shirt is great tjost... simple, clever, funny... and honest from what I've heard

sillythings86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sillythings86
Re: Face Book Picture

thanks for the votes and comments

Je5ster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Je5ster
Re: A Catchy Theme Song

Sorry, no clue.

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
Re: A Grimm Tale

Oh, this is so cool! I love the mood. :D Makes me want to go home and watch The Pagemaster!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: This Story never ends (with text)

First I submitted this design with text, people ask for a "no text" version, but it was Rejected for not having comments and being just the symbol. Now I am resubmitting with some of the original text.

If we don't read, The Nothing will consume everything. This is why I love books, because they keep fantasy alive!

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
stardamsel wrote:Dang, son! GMV, fer sure. O_o

Thank you, M'Lady!
BlinDog3D

phineus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phineus
Re: Into the Wild (Silver)

Still inspired by Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild. Only this time, one color on silver.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

It was rejected not for lacking text, but because this symbol is not yours to use. Without any parody, without some 'commentary', ie story or added value from you, not just a quote from the place you lifted the image, it's plagiary.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Teripie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Teripie

I like this shirt! It's simple, straight forward, and easy to understand.
An understated statement.

“Anything is a great deal at some price,” Some Rutledge Guy.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Mavyn wrote:"...not just a quote from the place you lifted the image..."

The text here is not a quote.

roysterer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages roysterer
Re: philosophicMUSINGSofA spontaneously-generatedWHALE

There are just too many good designs in this derby. Still, I cannot not vote for this.

cruelnv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cruelnv
scionofjubal wrote:Wait, so it's a battle between Harry Potter and Gandalf? Or the actual book The Fellowship of the Ring and The Sorcerer's Stone? Why are they books? OH! To force your cool idea into the theme. Got it. I like the designs about books better.

Aside from the fact that the books were made into movies, these were definitely characters from books first. The designer could have just illustrated Harry Potter vs. Gandalf, and it would have been based on literature. As it stands, by turning them into books, it makes this also about one book vs. the other (or that book's brand of magic) and also makes it a parody (and therefor avoids copyright issues).

But, by all means, continue to bash someone else's work simply because you don't like it.

P.S. For those that don't grasp how this isn't infringing upon copyrighted characters, here is the definition of a parody according to Merriam-Webster (which protects you from copyrighted characters):

par·o·dy noun \ˈper-ə-dē, ˈpa-rə-\
1. a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other user(s). Please keep in mind that these are only opinions and should not be inherently considered as factual statements. Thank you.

trmnshwrx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trmnshwrx

See!? This is exactly what Abe Lincoln was warning us against when he said "The problem with the Internet is that quotes are not always correctly attributed."

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Gnomes and Molearty - VERSION2

@limonmix & j5, thanks! I appreciate it. ^_^

@marzipan', I'm impressed you've seen the show! It is very good, isn't it? Was that via BBC America?

(new episodes coming this Autumn)

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Heeheehee. :^)

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099
Re: Digital Companionship

Ahaha, this is great! I love the little touches on the 'nerd' guy; it's great how his ribbon makes a nice coif!

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
finalphoenix wrote:Portal + Books = Epic Shirt!!!! I hope this gets enough votes because this is the best Portal shirt I've found to date.

Thanks! Although I doubt it will get enough votes unless I decided to open a thousand or so fake voting accounts (which I don't plan on doing).

neinahpets wrote:Unfortunately they keep stating that Portal references have already been done so further gets banned - unofficial rule, I believe, mind you. It's a cool shirt, it's just people are running an amazing game into the dirt.

I don't believe that there's currently any rule that bans portal shirts, but I do understand your point about running it into the dirt. I was trying to think of a tag line for my other design and came up with 'books are portals to other lands' and then that gave me the idea for this shirt, which I couldn't resist drawing up even though it was already like 11 pm. But don't worry, with only 13 votes I don't think this design is in any serious danger of doing any damage to the game.

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=53747]A

Very clever! I think Gwendy was just trying to explain. Amazing design and awesome execution!

bluejester

quality posts: 568 Private Messages bluejester

I would get this simply because my Doctrate holding-Harvard-and-Stanford-graduate older sister would go bonkers at this shirt. ...Course then I would have to deal with the backlash about how my English B.A. had failed me.

Ah...life.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Isn't enough to substantially change the image's meaning.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

caroline44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caroline44

love this.

and my 8-year-old son is dying to get one.

pharmacide

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pharmacide
blinddog3d wrote:Skirochester already did the "Pages making a ♥" thang. But, this is different, so I hope it flies.

Good Luck,
BlindDog3D

I had posted my idea before the derby which Skirochester had acknowledged.

tomsman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tomsman
Re: Shelf Life

MUST OWN! Library Science student here and if this prints there should be a rush on this from my library peeps. Awesome design. Flat out awesome.

Looking for MXLs Alien Sonogram, Tin: Old Skool, Puppet Checkup and Flesh Wound from Teefury; A Wicked Mess, F5 Refreshes You, and Sissy Fight. PM or teetrade (tomsman)for trade or sell.

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

I love it so much! +1

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=53747]A

Despite the clarification about braille needing to be on the same line to be read correctly, this is a neat idea and I like it.

I even think it would be a great idea if all the cells lined up and the rainbow were horizontal! The cleverness would still be there and the rainbow colors obviously too

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
cruelnv wrote:
par·o·dy noun \ˈper-ə-dē, ˈpa-rə-\
1. a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule

Besides this being an incredibly weak interpretation of parody (either M-W needs better editors, or you simply cherrypicked the concept you preferred), it really doesn't matter. Woot said, very simply, NO COPYRIGHTED CHARACTERS. That should mean that, even if this is a parody, it should be rejected. Harry Potter was a book before a movie, and the cover of every book depicts him basically this very way. Presumably the art is just as copyrighted as the books are. Same with the Dr. Seuss debauchery. In this tee alone, there are eleven books worth of characters, all under copyright, being represented. Given the rules woot posted, neither tee has a right to win.

killingisbadong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages killingisbadong
Re: Roland's Quest

I love this series and want to get this shirt so badly!

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
banjokilcup wrote:Thanks for the input! I had considered doing that one but thought the car might distract from how epic Raptors are bum themselves...

Make the car very undetailed, maybe only suggest it with an outline... Having people do a double take on the raptors would be worth it anyway!

banjokilcup wrote:Though they could have been eyeing up the traffic cop the way we eye up a ribeye... Hmmm......

YES. DO IT. NAO.

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Illiterate rainbow

Sorry but at first this make no sense to me, but after my wife show me a video references, I love it!

Amazing entry Tjost!

cruelnv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cruelnv

I hate to be a party-pooper, but I think the shadow is wrong on the little girl. ;)

Really though, I like this one. I don't think I could wear it personally, but it's a great concept and execution. Also, is that a texture on the shadows? If so, I think it's a great touch. Good job!

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other user(s). Please keep in mind that these are only opinions and should not be inherently considered as factual statements. Thank you.