+ Add a Comment

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
Re: El Zorro

tattled

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 218 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I don't have the historical knowledge (or Wiki skills) to know whether it was technically Spain or Mexico that owned California and if that matches with the time any of the Zorro novels & movies were set there. I'm sure Woot are -really- enjoying having to research their response to this little conundrum. 8p

Geekfactor's links make me think that it's a very gray area, at least. Whatever happens, props to Ramy for the twist on the name and the sharp lines & colors.

labboypro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages labboypro
Re: Don't Mex with Texas.

Really? That's neither factually correct nor funny.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: Harvest Season

Not enuff workers in the back of the truck

Nicely done!

arroth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arroth

this was just rejected, how is this resub different?

llandar

grahamcrackercoyote wrote:"character is Spanish American, not Mexican" - this was an iffy argument on Woots part given that Zorro was set in the late 18th and early 19th centuries in Alta California which was part of Mexico from 1821 to 1848 and the dude was Spanish.

Fixed that for you.

blinddog3d

Re: De Sol

It would actually be, "Del Sol." "De" es inconrrecto.

labboypro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages labboypro
dsgnGrl wrote:Agree with the others, I love the worried look on his face, but he isn't in the printable area of the shirt.

I'd want one... if it was printed properly.

tedschopf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tedschopf

Who cares if it's Mexican or not. If Woot decides to keep it, it's their choice, and no one else's. If it wins because of a lot of votes, then it has the best chance of selling and making money for woot. And who scrolls down this far anyways? Most people just click vote cuz the design looks cool.

llandar

Re: Beso!

I don't even like KISS, but this is a cool design. Nice work.

llandar

Re: Hola Esse

There is one S in "ese."

blinddog3d

Re: Beso!

El Gato y El Diablo Demonio es mi Favorito! Muy inteligente diseño!

CiegoPerro3D

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
llandar wrote:Fixed that for you.

The story is about a place that was part of MEXICO. Many of the folks in New Spain, Alta California, and Mexico were of full Spanish blood [or claimed to be ;)]. Go after the t-shirts with beer bottles on them - German miners living in Mexico taught them how to make GERMAN style beer. I don't particularly like this design, but it really does fit their criteria - WOOT was right to reject the original over text, but the other reason was arguable and they reversed themselves.

hamfistoffury

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hamfistoffury
Re: Don't Mex with Texas.

It looks like an elephant.

llandar

ramyb wrote:I can understand woot's decision to reject for text, but stating that El Zorro has nothing to do with Mexico is completely false. Not only was the fictional character of Zorro a hero of the Mexican people, but the real "El Zorro" was an actual hero in the Mexican War for independence. I wanted to resubmit this because I feel that it deserves a chance to compete, but ultimately it is up to woot to decide.

Even allowing that the fictional (and very much Spanish) Zorro was "a hero to the Mexican people," he was a character in AMERICAN books (created in New York) and movies, not Mexican.

And if you're going to try and hide behind the well-thought-out-and-certainly-not-hastily-googled-at-the-last-minute "oh it's actually Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla" defense, he's a priest and therefore a religious figure, which were specifically banned.

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

xazothia wrote:This is one of the few shirts on here right now that I could even remotely think about wearing in my part of Southern Arizona - an attractive design that nods to Mexican culture without making me look like I'm "picking sides" in our ridiculous ethnic/political climate. Plus I love monkeys. :D

+1

Oh my...I'm glad my shirt is non-polarizing! Thanks for your support

sjalex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjalex

righteous!

benmerva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benmerva

great design, but flamenco is from España :P

theflaneur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theflaneur
Re: Dancer

cool

benmerva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benmerva

This is by far my favourite design this derby

llandar

grahamcrackercoyote wrote:The story is about a place that was part of MEXICO.

...which was part of the Spanish Colonial Empire at the time the Zorro stories take place, hence his Spanish heritage.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=53976]They call me

pretty frickin' funny and disagree with tjost. I got this well before even opening to see the comp. and as others had said even without the connection it works. gmv!

mwa023

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwa023
JRWorkshop wrote:If you wanna use the conection of the Fox and Hidalgo use something Hidalgo used, did or said and put it on the shirt. This has nothing to do with him and is a disgrace you only cite it as a way to justify the rejection. No wonder that many people complain about your work ethic.

JRWorkshop, respectfully, give it a rest.

too much venom in your posts, and in this one particularly, I had to write something.

if the resubmission is not popular or in spirit of the derby, it'll go away. so chill. please. these are t-shirts.

midgerock

Re: La Fiesta

this so full of win and love all the wackiness going on inside. Like the armadillo on the one guys head. I really appreciate the work you put in your designs. gmv!

midgerock

Re: Guadalupe Hidalgo

the finished design came out really stunning, Kev! meaningful and love the rendering used. fitting. gmv!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
llandar wrote:Even allowing that the fictional (and very much Spanish) Zorro was "a hero to the Mexican people," he was a character in AMERICAN books (created in New York) and movies, not Mexican.

And if you're going to try and hide behind the well-thought-out-and-certainly-not-hastily-googled-at-the-last-minute "oh it's actually Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla" defense, he's a priest and therefore a religious figure, which were specifically banned.

The second half of your post is a serious stretch and completely (and intentionally) ignores the point I was making. El Zorro, the fictional character, is not a religious entity of any sort and is obviously the character referenced in the design. Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, who was also known as El Zorro, was similar to the fictional Zorro in the sense that he was of Spanish descent but lived in Mexico and defended the Mexican people. That was the purpose of the comparison. A huge percentage of the Mexican people are also of Spanish descent. I can't believe people are telling me that this fox looks nothing like Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla as though I stated it is a portrait of him. I will go through this one more time: The character, El Zorro, was a defender of the Mexican people. The story took place in a region that was controlled by Mexico at the time. The theme of the film is Spanish colonialism, which is cited as being on topic in the description. The film that this shirt references was not only heavily Mexican-inspired, but was also shot in Mexico City.

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
Re: migration

Saved.

midgerock

Re: DOOM SQUAD Los Muertos

stunning job you two! love the movie production and "R" rating presentation with the comp. Here's hoping for a print for you guys! gmv!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 218 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Ay Chihuahua!

Sweet design, you guys!

Dang it, my nearest Taco Bell is 100 miles away. (there are only 2 in the whole country :p )

bethlp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bethlp
Re: migration

Beautiful.

starksfam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starksfam
kevlar51 wrote:that may be true... but I came home to the slogans.

As much as I like the shirt, I'm loving this thread even better.

midgerock

Re: Fire maker, Rain bringer

got say the graphic quality and how this lays on the shirt with the placement is very wearable. well done!

dreadwood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dreadwood
Re: Piñatas Strike Back

Angry pinatas... *shudder*.

midgerock

Re: The Three Amigos

This looks great on the green blank for a more spicier salsa verde feel! love the movie and the design!

midgerock

runnerfrog13 wrote:I think this is hilarious, gmv. Blue has a good point though, without the title, the "origami" joke isn't quite as obvious. HOWEVER, if you added a TORTILLA CRANE as the last line.... = WIN

(hehe)

this. a tortilla crane at the end would have been genius after all the other sequences. still a solid design, Patrick.

gayemeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gayemeyer
Re: La Ceiba

awesome. I love the monkeys jumping from limb to limb.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
llandar wrote:...which was part of the Spanish Colonial Empire at the time the Zorro stories take place, hence his Spanish heritage.

"This week we're taking a trip to Mexico, land of temperate and tropical weather, extreme biodiversity, and delicious cuisine. Show us your best Mexican-inspired designs, and- HEY! Where are you going? You were going to slap button eyes on a taco and call it a day, weren't you? Come on. You're better than that. Explore the culture a little bit! There's so much to riff on: the rich history of Catholicism (and the ornate art it inspired), Spanish colonialism, incredible folk art and ancient architecture by Aztec and Mayan cultures, amazing Mexican writers like Mariano Azuela or even Bruno Traven, Dia de los Muertos, you get the idea. There's a LOT of amazing stuff to inspire you; we want to see greatness."

I'm not sure why a huge era in Mexican history is off limits to you.

midgerock

Re: Hail to the Sun God

clean, crisp and controlled. solid design which with color choices makes the otherwise appauling lemon yellow shirt very wearable. well done bring life the yellow shirt and for solid design.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
llandar wrote:...which was part of the Spanish Colonial Empire at the time the Zorro stories take place, hence his Spanish heritage.

I think this is debatable. If that chronology is accurate (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), then Zorro's activities occurred while California was a Spanish territory, while California was a Mexican territory, AND while California was a US state.

The important aspect to me is that while California's legal and governmental status changed several times, they shared a culture with Mexico (both having been colonized by the same group, and sharing a history and government during that time).

It's just not an open and shut case to claim otherwise, imo.

bossbug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bossbug
blinddog3d wrote:Gr8 Cartoon!

thanks