walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: El Luchador

Love your designs, I love lucha libre and I love how wearable is it!

+1

bethlp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bethlp
Re: Lady of the Dead

Very elegant. Love it.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan

Wow wow wow! me quito el sombrero!

+1

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
taylertot wrote:Don't worry, ramyb. I don't necessarily like or dislike you, but from what I can see...people on here are just jealous that you have a lot of support. Haters gonna hate, and all that.

I've never understood the "jealousy" argument. I'm not an artist, and I think this design is ridiculously off-topic. I haven't seen anything yet in this derby that I wish to purchase, therefore I have nothing to lose by its success. So what is it I'm so jealous of?

Earlysong

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Earlysong
Re: El Zorro

Didn't they also reject it for text the first time? The text is still there. Mexican debate aside, won't it get rejected for THAT again?

I love this website! ^^

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

Awesome. Excellent textures and colors.

astrobat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages astrobat
benmerva wrote:great design, but flamenco is from España :P

Oops! my bad... at least I included a hat. (not that real flamenco dancers dance around hats.) I'll try not to confuse cultures in the future.

astrobat

blinddog3d wrote:Where's the bat?

Hey thanks! I thought about doing one with a Mexican free-tail bat, but... eh, I was too lazy this time.

andrewdanger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewdanger
Re: Ay Chihuahua!

looks a little too similar to this:

I hope it doesn't get rejected.

pharmacide

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pharmacide

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
explodedwhale wrote:It's a Mexican derby. The character is NOT MEXICAN. The character you've depicted was created by an American.

You can create something that is not what you personally are. An American author can create a character who is Mexican. A human artist can draw a fox.

Some people consider Zorro to be Mexican. You may not, but your opinion is not inherently correct. Ramy's argument that the child of immigrants belongs to the culture he lives in (Zorro was born in Alta California, which changed hands several times in his lifetime but was at one point part of Mexico) if that child chooses to identify with it seems fair to me, and seems like the normal way we handle issues of immigration and cultural identity.

astrobat

xazothia wrote:this makes me think of the many Chipotle Burritos I had to attack with a fork after the delicious, overflowing contents decided to free themselves from their tortilla prison. D:

It's okay; I feel your pain.

astrobat

Re: Lucha-wawa Poco Loco

love the halftones!

julejules

quality posts: 0 Private Messages julejules
Re: El Zorro

Off topic? that's funny. I guess you should've put a tortilla chip or taco in his mouth.

A figure that fought for the Mexican people: Off topic.

Food I can buy at an American fast food chain: On topic.

Now I understand...

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel

This is probably one of my favs of the derby. I would wear this... probably too much.

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
ramyb wrote:Just curious, what makes someone Mexican as opposed to Spanish in your mind? Ultimately, the character of Zorro was born in a region that came to be Mexican territory and he defended and associated himself with the Mexican people. Being of Spanish descent does not make someone not a Mexican. A huge percentage of Mexicans are of Spanish descent. I currently live in the US, but I was born overseas. Does that make me not an American? I have US citizenship and associate myself with the US and have been living here since the age of 1, but my parents are not "American" so I must not be either. It is the same type of argument and ultimately I think it is both close-minded and ignorant.

Zorro is not part of Mexican culture. He's a Spanish character in a Mexican setting and he's a part of American books and films. By your logic, Speedy Gonzalez is a bastion of Mexican culture because he wears a sombrero. The Spanish vs. Mexican heritage is a red herring because ultimately Zorro is not a Mexican tale, it's American pulp fiction.

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01

Beautiful work , congrats its really nice!

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

This came out very nice!

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37
Re: The Three Amigos

Walza technically would be nice to make infinite copies of your desing to protect SANto Poco

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
Re: Jawapeno Peppers

Collaboration between myself and Ignorant.

Nothing follows.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
llandar wrote:The Spanish vs. Mexican heritage is a red herring because ultimately Zorro is not a Mexican tale, it's American pulp fiction.

So, if Woot does an American derby in honor of July 4th we can enter Zorro designs, right? Do we also get to enter aliens since the movie E.T. was created by Americans? Maybe I'll draw a Russian submarine in honor of that great American creation, The Hunt for Red October.

Stories are not automatically about who made them. They're about what they're about, which in Zorro's case is an arguably Mexican character.

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64
Re: La Ceiba

I really like this design! Just out of curiosity what are the black spots by the bottom of the tree?

PixelPants

quality posts: 69 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Fire maker, Rain bringer

Such a strong graphic Spiritgreen. Really like that twisting shape, bold line work and the texture spread through the colours.

kaleidoscopicfailure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaleidoscopicfailure
Re: Frida Y Diego

I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'M THE MAP!!!

this idea was way clever, midgerock. eventhough the colors would pop if it were on a darker shirt, i love that you went with the washed out look, it feels historic.

holothuria

quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria

It's going to be interesting when we get around to the Transylvania derby and Dracula is off limits.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

OHFireRescue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OHFireRescue
Re: Harvest Season

Should never have been rejected. There is a well known New Mexican artist who pictures saints driving vintage vehicles. I don't recall his name right now, but he was featured in the PBS series Craft In America. I see nothing in this image which suggests anything offensive in any way. I think Woot should apologize to the artist and reinstate this entry.

A bandolier of carrots would be appreciated about now

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8

PixelPants

quality posts: 69 Private Messages PixelPants

This is dead classy infinityloop. Works great on the shirt and the colour scheme is pitch perfect.

kaleidoscopicfailure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaleidoscopicfailure
Re: Cocijo's 925

i can see his breath!

i love your style, you pulled off such an abstract design without the need of some cute face. And i too applaud you and your color schemes.

holothuria

quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
geekfactor12 wrote:So, if Woot does an American derby in honor of July 4th we can enter Zorro designs, right? Do we also get to enter aliens since the movie E.T. was created by Americans? Maybe I'll draw a Russian submarine in honor of that great American creation, The Hunt for Red October.

Just make sure you don't draw Superman; he wasn't born in the U.S., and his creators were immigrants. Therefore, no matter how much of "the American way" he espouses, he has nothing to do with America. Also, George Washington wasn't born in the U.S., so you damn well better keep him out of your fourth of July entry.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Aztec Sunset

Sigh...guess zorro will wait for another derby. Hope you enjoy how this one turned out

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
holothuria wrote:Just make sure you don't draw Superman; he wasn't born in the U.S., and his creators were immigrants. Therefore, no matter how much of "the American way" he espouses, he has nothing to do with America. Also, George Washington wasn't born in the U.S., so you damn well better keep him out of your fourth of July entry.

i thought jerry siegel was born in cleveland, thus only one creator (singular) was an immigrant.

melfox86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melfox86

I miss your zorro :-(, but this is gorgeous!

jimmah120

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimmah120

pghilard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pghilard
Re: El Luchador

Not even the biggest lucha fan, but this epitomizes a wearable shirt.

+1 Great Work!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Cocijo's 925

The colors turned out fantastic!

fishbiscuit5

Gorgeous colors and a great representation of the theme!

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost

Gotta say I do like this Ramy and much more on topic. Wish it was a bit larger maybe resize it real fast since you just subbed it.

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
Re: Ancient Astronaut

Thanks for the comments and votes glad you liked , yes ochopika i draw it and yes that is another interpretation more in the Mayan beliefs but i think the most interesting thing is the similarities with the spaceship in the carved stone , thats the big mistery in controversy in recent years even when the main studies about the similarities were done back in 60's or 70's im not sure , with year 2012 around the corner all of this things are getting more popular also because of the end of an era stated in the mayan calendar.

fishbiscuit5

Re: La Fiesta

Your passion for your culture and heritage really comes through in this one, Wences! I hope it wins so I can get an up close look at all the amazing details.