almsforoblivion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages almsforoblivion
paigeg wrote:Love the sentiment, but you gotta fix your thumbnail (detail). Resub so it doesn't get the ax!

I don't understand. What do I have to change about the thumbnail?

kaedex99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kaedex99
Re: Calavera Mine (Día de los Muertos)

@amreli: Glad you like it! Thanks! -:]

@rogerrogerroger: Thanks so much, man! I'm glad they started offering the slate color, because asphalt would have been too dark to allow for the right amount of contrast.

cahayes2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cahayes2
Re: Lady of the Dead

I don't wear t-shirts. However, if this prints, you can put me down for one. Oddly beautiful.

kaedex99

Re: La Calavera

The three-dimensionality you managed to achieve is really, really nice. And I dig the pop of color in the eye socket. -:D So pretty~!

kaedex99

Re: Quetzal

Beau~tiful. I love how the design on the feathers is mirrored on the branch. It gives the shirt a subtle, magical quality. -:] God, there are so many *pretty* shirts this week!

TopazLJF

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TopazLJF
Re: Los instintos animales

This is awesome... I want two!!!

almsforoblivion

SkekTek wrote:My attempt at a subtle owl in the style of an aztec artwork. Added the texture so hopefully it isn't outrageously obvious, and to break up the ink areas.

I like the design.

I'm curious: how do you add texture? Maybe I'm just a photoshop novice, but I can't seem to figure it out.

greystone9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greystone9
odysseyroc wrote:I liked the art better on this than the original comics. I basically just put it up to show that the comic ones were all red.

Yeah, some of the really early stuff was...iffy artistically.

kaedex99

The veil is totally choice. Freakin' ... wow. I'm in love with the colors you chose. -:O I think if I had one thought, though ... I almost wish this were a *bit* smaller and aligned to the top-right of the printing space, and that the veil (or the turquoise design elements) cascaded down the left (and maybe wrapped around to the lower right). Or, if there were more design elements in front of her chest, maybe? I think it's the empty space on the right that bugs me. But that's probably just my damage. -:] The artistry is still fantastic.

crapstick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crapstick
curli76 wrote:This makes me a little sad. Poor little guy.

The candy should bring you back around to happy.

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=54133]Thoughts

Theres a lot of tales and stories about hummingbirds in Mayan and Aztec culture but my favorite is the Mayan one about how they were created , the oldest and wiser Mayans tell a story about the gods creating all the things on earth so they gave a particular job to each of the animals , trees and stones , but when they finished they noticed there was no one in charge of taking the people's toughts and wishes from one side to another , they ran out of clay and corn to make another animal so they took a stone called Jade and they carved a little arrow out of it , when the arrow was ready they blowed over the arrow and the stone started to fly turning into the hummingbird.

2 color on slate , hope you like it thanks. (o;

crapstick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crapstick

The unflinching pinata stands strong in the face of danger.

Re: Jawapeno Peppers

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
almsforoblivion wrote:I like the design.

I'm curious: how do you add texture? Maybe I'm just a photoshop novice, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Hi! Thanks!

Actually, I did all of this in Illustrator, so what you might do is slightly different. But I wanted a fade look, so I colored the design, overlaid a huge square of the asphalt at 50% opacity, then recolored the art to match.

The texture was just a photo texture of a brick, livetraced to B&W and only kept the black. Then just put it over the art, and applied a simple flatten transparency. Deleted the black specks, and voila. Good luck!

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
mrwednesday wrote:Frida looks exactly like Dora the Explorer with a moustache. I don't know if it's deliberate but I don't really like it.

Yeah, the whole premise was Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera in the style of Dora The Explorer and Go Diego Go.

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
Re: Aztec Sunset

Nice design! I normally would't buy a cranberry shirt, but this is way cool.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d

hamchilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hamchilla
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=54133]Thoughts

I saw this and was instantly reminded of how many hummingbirds I saw on a trip to Mexico in high school. Brings back memories. Love it.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=54133] Thoughts

Love the design, but wish it had some color.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d

hamchilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hamchilla
Re: dia de los!

Normally I don't buy shirts with skulls or snakes, but this design blew me away so much I'm totally making an exception. Great job!

bethlp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bethlp
Re: Jaguar, Jaguar, Burning Bright

I think the problem is that the thumbnail isn't showing up. I didn't see it either on the main page or here.

expo01

theinfinityloop wrote:This is very impressive. If it doesn't print here, try it out somewhere that does larger size printing. It would look wonderful filling up more of the shirt.

Thanks a lot mate , sure i will in case dont gets printed here , cheers! (o;

dribbles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dribbles
confusedzombieturtle wrote:I want this shirt

here here

expo01

Re: La Muerte

Thanks a lot chumpmagic! , gracias qetza! (o;

expo01

odysseyroc wrote:I'm definitely buying this if it prints. I missed out on getting a cool Huracan Ramirez shirt, the last time I was in LA. I did pick up a couple other cool lucha shirts and a La Parka mask. Lucha libre rules.

Right on! how could i forgot about Huracan Ramirez , he was actually the uncle of a friend of mine , great wrestler , La Parca is the new school but one of the big ones along Octagon, Atlantis, Rey Misterio , etc. , cheers man! (o;

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
sundbe10 wrote:Yea it is a a resubmission, as the link shows. I'm surprised anyone actually remembers haha. I haven't been on woot in 2 years so I wasn't sure if there were any rules against that.

I think they want a reworked one, not just the exact same image. Also did you get the new colors? In the last few months they updated the shirt templates/ color #s.

anishell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anishell

Wow. After seeing the sketch, this came out a lot better than I thought it would be. Great job! You chose the right theme

anishell

everthing that is yellow on this picture is actually the color from the shirt. So whatever color is the shirt, is the color of the hat, guitar, and parts of the poncho.

almsforoblivion

Re: Jaguar, Jaguar, Burning Bright RE-SUB

RE-SUBMITTED because people couldn't see the original thumbnail.

Jaguars: these majestic, powerful cats were once plentiful in Mexico and throughout the Americas. Now, their status is near-threatened. In fact, the white band on the map of Mexico in my design roughly corresponds to the Jaguar's current range in Mexico.

The jaguar is important to Mexican culture because it was revered as a symbol of strength by pre-Columbian Mexican civilizations such as the Aztec and Maya. The jaguar was made the first official Olympic mascot at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City.

Five colors on brown.

Here's a higher resolution image of my design:

anishell

Re: Regular Gonzales

I was going to put my submission with the idea of Speedy but dropped it. Why didn't I think of this!!?

almsforoblivion

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: seriously large Olmec head

Are you watching the same movie I am [TNT Saturday 8-11 EDT]? Mmm. Synchronicity. Not sure that puts it on-theme, though, without a better tie to the Olmecs.

ellerythecelery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellerythecelery

When I saw the title of the derby this week, I thought, "Ooh, I hope someone makes a quetzal shirt!" Thank you for being that person! This shirt is lovely.

anishell

qetza wrote:Great!

*agree*

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
blk909 wrote:Love the design, but wish it had some color.

^This. Love the design, but it needs color.
I also recall a story - possibly not Mexican - that hummingbirds were the messengers of the gods. In any case, I love the bitty critters. Just wish this did justice to their jewel-like essence.

anishell

paigeg wrote:I think you've got a helluva start. There's a few wonky things - like along that horizon. But, damn - nice start, and nice way to respect the theme.

Thanks! I try

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: hope purity blood

simple design of the colors of the country's flag which symbolize hope, purity and blood.

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01

I was looking up face painting like this, and they were so inspiring, but I didn't end up doing anything with the idea. Glad I didn't. You did so much better than I ever could have. This is beautiful. I think the asphalt is a perfect choice for it too. GMV

jmig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmig
amreli wrote:I love this. I typically don't like skull designs of any kind, but this focuses so nicely on beautiful linework.

Agreed. This is beautiful!

bionicallyironic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bionicallyironic
rambo90 wrote:great shirt! hoping it win's.

Thanks!!