almsforoblivion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages almsforoblivion
Re: Lady of the Dead

Yay! I'm so glad this is in the fog.

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj
paigeg wrote:Seed, love the art. But Speedy had a slow, drunken friend you could have played on, with Speedy somehow referenced to make the disparity clear. Maybe just a faded silouette and some motion lines in halftones (background). We get the joke here, but on a shirt? Not so much. Love ya, tho! Just not lovin' this particular sub.

You're referring to "Slowpoke Rodriguez." He's kind of built up a pretty horrible reputation over the years, as the character was built on the old "lazy and drunk Mexican" stereotypes.

He's actually one of the main reasons Speedy Gonzales isn't shown much nowadays. Given Woot's cultural sensitivity, I think the artist's approach was best.

abritishgem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abritishgem
Re: Regular Gonzales

You. Amaze. Me.

igo2cairo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages igo2cairo
Re: The Three Amigos

Love this one so much Wences, awesome work!

ha52309s

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ha52309s
Re: Tortilla Origami

Love it! You should submit it Chipotle or Qdoba marketing.

ha52309s

Re: Ancient Astronaut

I love that part of the Mayan folk lore. The reliefs depicting that story is one of the things that stuck with me closest after a tour a ruins.

ha52309s

Re: mayan bus

I'm a sucker for anything Mayan in this derby, but I'm not sure what to say about this one. Something about it just grabs me.

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: La Fiesta

Amazing work, Walmazan! GMV.

ha52309s

Re: Pinata Parts (resub)

Muahaha, pinatas taste good!

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer
petitefilou wrote:I know your animals sell well, but you seem to do some far more interesting designs when you step away from them - this is so pretty and one I'd actually wear. Sorry zorro turned into such a fiasco for you, but I think this tshirt is far better anyway. You should go outside your comfort zone more often

I completely agree. This shirt is a good design and beautifully rendered. I especially love the sketchy woodblock styling it has. Good work, Ramy. I would love to see more art like this in your future subs.

dinalimon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dinalimon
Re: Mexican Eagle Co.

I just want to comment that I like this design, of Mexico's heritage; my parents were born in Mexico and they would be proud to see this entry done by a special artist who is very talented, congratulations and never give up.

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Regular Gonzales

The sketch style and the coloring... perfection.

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=54147]Frida was never really

I have to point out that whether you were aware of Hirsute History or not, you're doing something so close to his schtick that it might be infringement. http://hirsutehistory.com/design/frida_kahlo/

Also I like the way you've done the jewelry, but the upper lip is reading more "pencil thin mustache" on this one.

Nice clean lines, and if you generated the hair-only idea independently, I congratulate you!

D3lusional

quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional
Re: Goat Sucker

Am I missing something? What's offensive about a Chupacabra visual pun?

gement

shikausstan wrote:It is only offensive if you choose to be offended. And the entire population does not drink the water. In some locations it really isn't safe so even locals don't drink it without sterilizing first.

I'm calling offensive here as well. "Don't drink the water" is not actually said as advice at this point, but as a cliche joke implying "It's uncivilized down there."

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
blinddog3d wrote:Yeah!
Deeper colors make it more appealing!

Yeah! This is what I was talking about! Nice resub!

gement

Re: Frida Retrospective

This is by far the most solid Frida of the derby. Nice one!

epicfal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicfal
gement wrote:Also I like the way you've done the jewelry, but the upper lip is reading more "pencil thin mustache" on this one.

I think it is a mustache. Frida had some lip hair going on, just like she had a unibrow, and she was proud of it, and accentuated/exaggerated both in her own art. Which is why I, for one, love her.

I hope this design prints. I want one.

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Re: Sol y Luna

Hey cool! Glad some of those suggestions worked out! I like how you did the moon side, and the sun's mouth looks much better too!

gement

Re: mayan bus

I love that this one uses the Mayan figures in a modern environment. There's often a sense of mythology from "other" cultures as being stuck in antiquity, and this bucks that nicely.

epicfal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicfal
Re: Dinner and a Show - resub

I love that the nacho is standing on the salsa bowl to be as tall as the others. Very cute design.

kitsune13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kitsune13
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=53976]They call me

My first thought was Chuy's restaurant, and I loved the idea

Je5ster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Je5ster

Love the shirt, but I wish it wasn't pink...

dmaddoxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmaddoxx
Re: Fire maker, Rain bringer

Wow... that's awesome.

dmaddoxx

The colors are nice and I love that there's so much going on, on the shirt.

dmaddoxx

Re: The Three Amigos

Haha. They're so cute!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
novastarj wrote:You're referring to "Slowpoke Rodriguez." He's kind of built up a pretty horrible reputation over the years, as the character was built on the old "lazy and drunk Mexican" stereotypes.

He's actually one of the main reasons Speedy Gonzales isn't shown much nowadays. Given Woot's cultural sensitivity, I think the artist's approach was best.

Granted, Slowpoke probably wouldn't be the best choice. But this still just looks like a mouse in a hat. Just sayin' - for me, it doesn't stand on its own all that well.

paigeg

blinddog3d wrote:Thank you, Paige, you are a champ!
The "Blind" in BlindDog refers to not being distracted by the obvious, as in a "blind dog sniffing for a bone." I'm also a huge fan of BlindDog Lemon, a famous Blues-man from Memphis.

It was taken from a Japanese saying(koan), "Even a blind dog finds a bone, every once in a while." Like, I get lucky every now and then. Nothing to do with my 20/30 vision.

Thanks for re-voting.

Loll - cool! Love it when people explain their handles. So interesting.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
apeman wrote:The well known approaching date. Start of a new cycle, or end of the world? The symbols represent the date using Mayan numerical system in our modern format (12/21/2012).

But are you using modern dates too or are the numbers that the Mayan's used.

(I don't feel capable of thinking at the moment so I won't follow your link to figure it out myself.)

apeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apeman
blanked wrote:But are you using modern dates too or are the numbers that the Mayan's used.

(I don't feel capable of thinking at the moment so I won't follow your link to figure it out myself.)

well its the date as we would write it today (12/21/2012) using mayan numbers. Hope thats clear

gedsalazargarcia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gedsalazargarcia
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=54133]Thoughts

i really like your execution here buddy!!!

wootsl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootsl
Re: Speedy Gonzales lives!

This is great. It is a real classic. Just thing that if all the varmints were that fast they could all run the same direction and either speed up the rotation of the earth or have it change direction.

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Old and New

Love your idea and fantastic job on the caracters. Wish i could buy this right now. GMV.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=53976]They call me

I would love to wear a bandolier of tacos! Nice work on this and I think it stands alone without the reference.

paigeg

cmdixon2 wrote:"Illustrator users, please submit your final art with gradients. We'll create the halftones on our end.

Your Design Detail & Shirt Comp images must show halftones."

The print file that you submit should retain it's gradients. The preview image that all the voters see should have halftones.

I hope you have time to resub - I'd re-vote, honest!

paigeg

Re: Ay Chihuahua!

Oh, snap! That sucks. I get the reason but, man what a bummer. And something about it strikes me as not very fair.

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: Ay Chihuahua!

I've really got to disagree with this rejection. The T-Bell design showed a guy in a sombrero having the runs from eating what was clearly taco bell--an american chain that serves texmex food.

Here, we depict a chihuahua (mexican dog) eating tacos and churros (both traditional mexican foods). So having a nondescript soda cup makes this off topic?

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
kevlar51 wrote:I've really got to disagree with this rejection. The T-Bell design showed a guy in a sombrero having the runs from eating what was clearly taco bell--an american chain that serves texmex food.

Here, we depict a chihuahua (mexican dog) eating tacos and churros (both traditional mexican foods). So having a nondescript soda cup makes this off topic?

Kevin's right. This is 100% on topic.
The Chihuahua is the smallest breed of dog and is so named for the state of Chihuahua in Mexico.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chihuahua_(dog)

The Chihuahua breed originated in Mexico. This rejection is incorrect and extremely disappointing.

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
kevlar51 wrote:I've really got to disagree with this rejection. The T-Bell design showed a guy in a sombrero having the runs from eating what was clearly taco bell--an american chain that serves texmex food.

Kevlar is right and i think its a clean on topic entry , Chihuahua or Chihuaheño wich is the right name of the breed is a totally Mexican breed.