chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • And it came to me then that every plan is a tiny prayer to father time.

Thanks thatrobert and thanks mj for the nomination!

SupDjour

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SupDjour
Re: A Complex Cultural Ritual

This is awesome. If you resubbed on a different color shirt, I think it would awesomer and easily get printed.

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • And it came to me then that every plan is a tiny prayer to father time.

Oh my! I'm flattered to win the BLA once again! Thanks so much

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
thatrobert wrote:

Thanks. It's appreciated.

DJTweekNYC

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
Re: Lady of the Dead

Absolutely my favorite derby entry.

DJTweekNYC

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
Re: Aztec Sunset

I love when you do more artsy designs aside from the cartoony ones. I know you found your niche market and all, but I love art like this. GMV. Great work.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Candy Sacrifice

Wow, what a great reception!

Thanks so much everyone, and thanks again marzipan for the invite on this idea. (my first collab in 71 weeks of derbies :-D)

epicfal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicfal

AMAZING. On so many levels.

hotdiggins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hotdiggins
Re: Aztec Sunset

Incredible! I love the detail you put into this. Great design!

Spiritgreen

Re: Fire maker, Rain bringer

So pleased this is still in the running, thanks to everyone supporting this design!

I tried to concentrate on two things; the meaning of the artwork and making something wearable. Sounds easy enough doesn't it, but it usually doesn't work out that way. :^)

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
blinddog3d wrote:Mmm, Muy elegante!
Nice work with the mask and the splash of color. Great movement and layout. Shirt choice really shows her off!

Vote!+1
(Later than usual, eh?)
BlindDog3D

Thanks man. This was originally going to be part of the Cantinflas piece but it looked off so I made her a separate shirt.

Spiritgreen

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=54133]Thoughts

You can't beat a good origin story. :^)

Sometimes a lot of splashy effects can feel like too much, but containing them inside the silhouette of the hummingbird gives this a sense of vitality and restraint. Nice work, expo01.

ochopika

Staff

Re: Frida with Thorn Necklace and Marigolds

I'd definitely wear this. The colors are great and the design is well balanced and crisp. The colors are especially good because they remind me of the same kinds of tropical, yet slightly muted colors that I see in her paintings.

I think that maybe the whole design could be moved to the right a little, but don't bother with it now, as it is late in the derby.

If you post a design earlier in the week for the next derby (new topic is tomorrow at around noon), then I think you'd get a lot more votes.

Good work, just be patient and keep making more designs

jnorah

blinddog3d wrote:Good call, gr8 cartoon! Looks just like him!
Vote, for imaginality!
brUno

Yeah I knew it would be risky being that most people do not even know who Cantinflas is. However he is super famous and very well known amongst my Mexican Brethren. A Cultural Icon.

wootertim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootertim
Re: Hail to the Sun God

Hi sundbe10,

i like this design and you got my vote (again). But if you will ever have to resubmit a design after it gets rejected, again, you better change the design title a little bit on resubmission. For instance:

"Hail to the Sun God (resub)"

So everybody gets it, that he/she has to vote again for this design.

So long,

Tim

Jackemmenjaser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jackemmenjaser
Re: El Zorro

Quick, unban it! Those are clearly three separate slashes and in no way text! And the original character may have started as Spanish-American, but there were numerous versions in which he was Mexican!

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
Re: Ancient Astronaut

Expo, I am sorry, I have to call foul on this design. I am very familiar with this particular Mayan work. In theory you drew it, but it is a trace/outline of a section of the actual work. For those that do not know the story of K’inich Janaab’ Pakal and the city of Palenque - Go here.

Other than a few border details you left off, the image is 98% exact. This is not an interpretation of the idea of a Mayan astronaut. Line drawing of work done in 1983.

I have enjoyed and voted on several of your designs. I could not be quiet on this one. Your La Muerte is awesome and needs to be higher in ranking.

I honestly believe you should remove this design.

wootertim

Re: The Elegant Lady!!!!! La Catrina

blinddog3d wrote:Mmm, Muy elegante!
Nice work with the mask and the splash of color. Great movement and layout. Shirt choice really shows her off!

Vote!+1
(Later than usual, eh?)
BlindDog3D

Dito!

It's too bad that this design has been submitted so late.

hotdiggins

ochopika wrote:I'd definitely wear this. The colors are great and the design is well balanced and crisp. The colors are especially good because they remind me of the same kinds of tropical, yet slightly muted colors that I see in her paintings.

I think that maybe the whole design could be moved to the right a little, but don't bother with it now, as it is late in the derby.

If you post a design earlier in the week for the next derby (new topic is tomorrow at around noon), then I think you'd get a lot more votes.

Good work, just be patient and keep making more designs

Thanks for the helpful comments! I will get working on next weeks derby ASAP. i do agree about the design being moved to the right. Next time i'll play around more with placement.
Thanks again for all the encouragement!

Jackemmenjaser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jackemmenjaser
studio1172 wrote:Expo, I am sorry, I have to call foul on this design. I am very familiar with this particular Mayan work. In theory you drew it, but it is a trace/outline of a section of the actual work. For those that do not know the story of K’inich Janaab’ Pakal and the city of Palenque - Go here.

Other than a few border details you left off, the image is 98% exact. This is not an interpretation of the idea of a Mayan astronaut. Line drawing of work done in 1983.

I have enjoyed and voted on several of your designs. I could not be quiet on this one. Your La Muerte is awesome and needs to be higher in ranking.

Burn.

hotdiggins

Re: La Ceiba

Really incredible! Love the story behind your decision and the wonderful detail you put into this!

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

Wow. I wanted to merge the idea of old tradition vs. new, so...that's where the idea came from.

Thanks for the support,everyone. Especially Spirit for all the awesome detail and color he put into this. It was a lovely time.

jnorah

wootertim wrote:Dito!

It's too bad that this design has been submitted so late.

Yes I am Known for submitting on the latish side. But it is all in fun. I had guess over the weekend so I did not work on this until Monday when my sister left

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
studio1172 wrote:Expo, I am sorry, I have to call foul on this design. I am very familiar with this particular Mayan work. In theory you drew it, but it is a trace/outline of a section of the actual work. For those that do not know the story of K’inich Janaab’ Pakal and the city of Palenque - Go here.

Come on man! , really? , well first of all thanks for your comment about my La Muerte entry and for your support on other of my designs , i really appreciate it as we never know who vote apart from the ones that comment in the entry so thanks again ,

about what you say about my work sorry but i think its kind of out of place , so you say nobody can draw something already exist or if theres a previous illustration made of it? , lets say nobody can draw the eagle in our mexican flag? , or an Aztec calendar , or a famous indian totem or monument? , sorry but theres only one Pakal's stone lid and that was my reference to draw it , you will find several different illustrations and not only one but none will match mine as i draw my own and sure its not even close to be as good as any of those but its my own , , what if i decided to stick to the original.. whats wrong with that? , the only thing i did is to make it more tee shirt friendly removing the lid frame and putting it into the cosmos enviroment as the alternative meaning the stone lid has , who said it was an interpretation of the idea of a Mayan astronaut? , you said that not me , if you read the description i wrote says ... "illustration based on the Mayan King Pakal and his famous carved stone sarcophagus lid" , so it is my own draw based on the lid so again whats wrong with that? , lets put as an example your anthropomorphic food entry, you draw the famous revolution fist done by other person years ago , ok you added the hot dog so whats the difference in this case , i didnt added something funny but other different things and removed others surrounding the lets call it spaceship frame on the lid , so whats the difference with you drawing the previously made and very popular fist adding the hot dog , different aproaches only , im not drawing something copyrighted so seriously dont get your complain ,

I honestly believe you should remove your comment.

Thanks (o;

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Cupcake Carrier

jmig wrote:It does!

Or maybe a snowcone.

benmerva wrote:Like the design. Deigo's work lends really nicely to vectorization.

¡Go team Frida y Diego!

Yes, he has lovely bold shapes.

zpank wrote:I don't get it. Is it something from one of Rivera's Murals. I'm not to familiar with his art yet but I like what I saw in a section in a class years ago. If this is the case would you kindly name the piece this is a parody of so I can search an image of the original and understand the joke. Also my best friend lives in New York and he is a manager of a cupcake business so I wish I could get him this shirt.
Thank you

If you follow the link I posted in the 1st message, you can see the mural. The name is in the URL, "Flower Carrier".

The chance of getting this shirt at some point is probably not very likely considering how few votes I received. I'm not disappointed or surprised -- it's a visual pun that only an art nerd will get.

expo01

This is so nice guys congrats , +1

expo01

Spiritgreen wrote:You can't beat a good origin story. :^)

Sometimes a lot of splashy effects can feel like too much, but containing them inside the silhouette of the hummingbird gives this a sense of vitality and restraint. Nice work, expo01.

Thanks a lot Spiritgreen glad you liked mate , appreciate your vote and comment thank you again and all the best with your entry! (o;

expo01

Adam7986 wrote:La Parka is greatness lol. If we are making a list of great Lucha performers, don't forget Mistico, Dos Caras JR, Frey Tormenta, juventud guerrera and psychosis.

yeah Mistico!! , the list can go on and on , Cien Caras , Los Brazos (Brazo de oro & Brazo de Plata ) , Super Muñeco , Negro Casas , Dr. Wagner , Sangre Chicana , Cibernetico , Black Shadow , Angel Blanco , El Cavernario , El Solitario , etc , lol

jenihana

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jenihana
Re: Tortilla Origami

I LOVE it!! I'm half Mexican-American, so I don't really have too many cultural ties to Mexico, except for food. Homemade tortillas, green chile, and empanadas make my mouth water.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: derechos reservados

hahaha! Great work!

apeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apeman
Re: Jaguar Crest

awesome design

wootertim

Re: The Elegant Lady!!!!! La Catrina

jnorah wrote:Yes I am Known for submitting on the latish side.

I see! Good to know I hope you get lots of votes, nevertheless!

jnorah wrote:But it is all in fun.

That's the right attitude.

Have fun,

Tim

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
Re: Jawapeno Peppers

Here is a zoomed in shot to show all the detail.

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
ignorant wrote:Here is a zoomed in shot to show all the detail.

Way to help out with the marketing side.

Nothing follows.

ochopika

Staff

hotdiggins wrote:Really incredible! Love the story behind your decision and the wonderful detail you put into this!

Thanks, duude

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
bigwaves wrote:Love the colors and symbolism and would want this. I am a surfer and like that you have tried to incorporate waves into the design. Since my youth I have traveled to Mexico to surf. But, the placement does not look right.
One possibility would take just the wave and run it up the left side with waves breaking towards the sun and disappearing behind the sun?? Or turn all of the blocks 90deg clockwise, lay the bar horizontal across the chest, adjust the sun on the left and slightly above with the wave running along the top and going behind the sun. Good Luck

Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely have to play around with it.

ittybittyx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ittybittyx
Re: El Mariachihuahua

Holy (bleep) I love this shirt!!!

I have a chihuahua and El Mariachi is one of my favorite films! MUST have this!!

cwendauthi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwendauthi
j5 wrote:Because while this is a great design, it is very lacking in broad audience appeal.

Well, I was saying that it would have broad appeal, but you're right that its niche market probably isn't the shirt.woot demographic.

brushfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brushfire
Re: LuCha-huahua

I am swamped at work, with a Monday dealine. Iwill be working straight through, sleeping when I can. So, I know this isn't going to win, but I am still excited that this did so well. It's a good start and I had a lot of fun working with a Blind Dog (Thanks, again)! Thank you so much, everybody especially Paige and DrakxXx for the great comments. I had so much fun, I want to do another one, maybe BlindDog will do another one with me or maybe I'll try one on my own. It may not be good, but I'll get better.

I would love this to hit 50!! Please y'all!
Adios, muchachos! Muy Mucho trabajo!
BG

jmig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmig

Love the toucan!