JRWorkshop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JRWorkshop

Still a fox with hat and cape, nothing to do with Mexico

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
bluejester wrote:On the one hand, it's really funny, but on the other hand, a part of me think's that without the funny title it could just look like a taco instruction kit.

I think this is hilarious, gmv. Blue has a good point though, without the title, the "origami" joke isn't quite as obvious. HOWEVER, if you added a TORTILLA CRANE as the last line.... = WIN

(hehe)

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
Re: The little matador

Collaboration between myself and Ignorant. With no nod toward Jeus for anything.

Nothing follows.

JenXer74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JenXer74
Re: EL LUNCHADOR

OM NOM NOM NOM.

runnerfrog13

tjost wrote:Nice artwork Lucky, but I don't think anyones gonna get the Starwars ref without the title or the image of the wookie once the derby is done. Bandoliers have been in use for a loooong time even in Mexico, and adding the food will not help in that connection.

I think even without the attempt to connect to Star Wars, a bandolier full of tacos is a respectable funny thing to wear, considering the derby is about Mexico anyway...

Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake
Re: The Three Amigos

Gah! I could feel my wallet get thinner ... and my closet (pantry?) fuller already. In the meantime, GMV!

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: La Fiesta

I was wondering when you were gonna bring the thunder to this competition. Epic. GMV +1!!!!

brushfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brushfire
Re: Lucha-wawa Poco Loco

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!"

Luchi-huahua Poco Loco! The meanest, craziest perro Luchador en la todo de Mexico! He gets his power from Mexico's number 2 export, "Coffee!"

This little breed is is tiny but tenacious and they have absolutely NO FEAR! Great little fighters!

Hi everyone, this is my first entry here @ shirt.woot.com. This is my artwork, but I had some help from BlindDog3D on the layers and the halftones (I still don't get that stuff, but he's really good!). So we agreed to enter this together.

Please vote if you like it.
Thank you,
Brushfire & BlindDog3D

JRWorkshop

ramyb wrote:I can understand woot's decision to reject for text, but stating that El Zorro has nothing to do with Mexico is completely false. Not only was the fictional character of Zorro a hero of the Mexican people, but the real "El Zorro" was an actual hero in the Mexican War for independence. I wanted to resubmit this because I feel that it deserves a chance to compete, but ultimately it is up to woot to decide.

He was a priest!!! This... this is just justifications... The only real Mexican Zorro doesn't look nothing like this thing.

runnerfrog13

Re: Happy Mexican Food!

Good representation of lots of mexican food Jas, but I don't feel like this is up to your normal quality of drawing. The shapes are all kindof awkward and the piece feels very flat, despite the shading. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just kinda feels, slapdash instead of stylized. Does that make any sense?

runnerfrog13

Re: DOOM SQUAD Los Muertos

Zombies meets Mexico meets Day of the Dead? I was wondering how you were going to pull your dark theme this derby

grypes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grypes
Re: DOOM SQUAD Los Muertos

DRAXXX! GMV!

JRWorkshop

El Cura (the priest) Hidalgo didn't look like the character invented in the U.S. neither slashed people's cloths as a trademark.

brendecko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brendecko

Kinda looks like a halloween witch cat to me.

bossbug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bossbug
Re: RED HAWT CHILI PEPPERS

you spelled "HAWT" wrong...

okashii214

quality posts: 0 Private Messages okashii214
Re: El Zorro

This is the cutest design ever! I would totally vote for you but I havent bought a shirt so I can't. :C

Keep making cute designs!!! :D I hope I can buy this shirt if you win! :D

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
JRWorkshop wrote:He was a priest!!! This... this is just justifications... The only real Mexican Zorro doesn't look nothing like this thing.

Both the fictional character and the real man he was named after were Mexican heros. They attained their goals by separate means but are both tied to Mexico in that way.

runnerfrog13

Re: La Fiesta

I love all the tiny details, very fun to look at. Not a fan of the pink color though... you should submit one with blue, or green

... or maybe a tri-color version with green white and red (ok that suggestion was a little cheesy, but I think it could be tastefully done!)

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow
ramyb wrote:I can understand woot's decision to reject for text, but stating that El Zorro has nothing to do with Mexico is completely false. Not only was the fictional character of Zorro a hero of the Mexican people, but the real "El Zorro" was an actual hero in the Mexican War for independence. I wanted to resubmit this because I feel that it deserves a chance to compete, but ultimately it is up to woot to decide.

Hmmm. This says the real Zorro was Irish.

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku

Zorro was of Spanish descent (of the Spain variety). And he lived in California. Perhaps he interacted with a few people who came up from Mexico to California in some of the stories, but that really doesn't make him Mexican.

(I really like the Isabel Allende adaptation of Zorro, in which he's part-Native American and part-Spaniard... still nothing to do with Mexico though. I feel this entry is a case of assuming Spanish-speaking = Mexican.)

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
Re: The Three Amigos

I like the prospect of being a walking dish of guacamole. :D

gingembre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gingembre
runnerfrog13 wrote:I think this is hilarious, gmv. Blue has a good point though, without the title, the "origami" joke isn't quite as obvious. HOWEVER, if you added a TORTILLA CRANE as the last line.... = WIN

(hehe)

YES! Tortilla Crane! C'mon, one more line, and this shirt would cross over from awesome to epic!

JRWorkshop

kinzoku wrote:Zorro was of Spanish descent (of the Spain variety). And he lived in California. Perhaps he interacted with a few people who came up from Mexico to California in some of the stories, but that really doesn't make him Mexican.

(I really like the Isabel Allende adaptation of Zorro, in which he's part-Native American and part-Spaniard... still nothing to do with Mexico though. I feel this entry is a case of assuming Spanish-speaking = Mexican.)

+1

explodedwhale

quality posts: 5 Private Messages explodedwhale
Re: Frida Y Diego

I had a Spanish teacher in college that tried to teach us about Frida Kahlo. She used make-up to give herself a unibrow, but it ended up looking like a gaping wound in the middle of her face and all of us just kept asking her if she needed stitches... :/

sarahhancock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarahhancock

Awesome! I live in Arizona and I'd definitely buy and wear this one! :-)

ramyb

kinzoku wrote:Zorro was of Spanish descent (of the Spain variety). And he lived in California. Perhaps he interacted with a few people who came up from Mexico to California in some of the stories, but that really doesn't make him Mexican.

"In 1821, Don Diego de la Vega (Anthony Hopkins) fights against Spain in the Mexican War of Independence as Zorro, a mysterious avenger who defends the Mexican peasants and commoners of Las Californias."

(courtesy of wiki)

The story has been adapted many times to have many different twists, but has always been tied to defending the Mexican people. And, like I said earlier, the "real" Zorro was a hero of the Mexican War for Independence. At this point I'm just going to be talking in circles so I will step out of the discussion and let woot decide. I have made my defense and I can see that not everyone will agree, but since it isn't up to me I will just wait and see what happens now.

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
Re: Lucha-wawa Poco Loco

One more gargleblaster!!! This is hilarious A Lucha-wa-dor Man I love this. I will be posting something late as usual but posting none the less if this wins I will buy it.

ramyb

Also, thanks to everyone who revoted on the design. I'm glad to see people enjoying this one, despite the controversy it seems to be causing.

DantesHavok

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DantesHavok
JRWorkshop wrote:Still a fox with hat and cape, nothing to do with Mexico

El Zorro aka The FOX.

runnerfrog13

Re: De Sol

Maybe I'm miscounting, but it seems there are more than 6 colors here, or did you use halftones*? (1 red, 2 blues, 2 yellows, black, white eyes, blue eyes, and possibly transparency on both the blue and yellow rays?) Entries can only have 6 colors.
*oh wait, I see the closeup of the halftone now. It still looks like you used a transparency with it though.

Hope you don't mind some feedback on your design, I'm proud of you for entering (it's intimidating) and hope you continue to improve!:
The blue and yellow of the sun/moon stands out well on a red shirt. Maybe consider not putting rays on the moon part to give more of the suggestion of Luna? Also, the cheek line next to the sun's mouth and under his eye are kindof strangely shaped. Well, the one under his eye wouldn't be so strange if the cheek line was gone. I'm assuming the sun is supposed to be smiling in contrast to the moon who is not, you might want to keep the upper lip higher and bring the lower curve of the lip up to meet it, rather than curving the upper lip downt to meet the lower and then curving them both. You also might be able to get rid of the blue eye color by using yellow eyes on the moon and blue eyes on the sun, or even stylizing them a little bit and not having an iris color.

----
Check out this thread for unofficial rules for all derbies: http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1946963

GNitro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GNitro

Woot did decide when they rejected it the first time. You're the one who has a hard time dealing with rejections. All you ever do is change something minor and resubmit something that is 99% the exact same thing.

And quoting wiki page that is about a Hollywood movie. lol

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
DantesHavok wrote:El Zorro aka The FOX.

spanish is spoken outside of mexico... fyi

spacedoutant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacedoutant
Re: Don't Drink Ver2

I don't even...

crazacool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazacool
Re: Fire maker, Rain bringer

Very nice design, and also a well-thought-out composition. As something of a student of Mayan culture, and having finished the Popol Vuh, I'm glad you took the time to draw this one up.

Kudos.

pappardelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pappardelle

I voted for it because it made me lulz

ramyb

GNitro wrote:And quoting wiki page that is about a Hollywood movie. lol

It is a movie that this design references, in case you missed that

runnerfrog13

Re: Pinata Parts

Cute parody on those many cuts of beef type shirts. Agree that the design would look better higher on the shirt.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: LuCha-huahua

^THIS VERSION, ABOVE, IS THE UPDATED RESUB^
CLICK HERE TO SEE THE NEW VERSION!
================================================================
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
================================================================

Here's the Hi-Rez version

I had a lot of fun on this one.
BlindDog3D

JRWorkshop

ramyb wrote:"In 1821, Don Diego de la Vega (Anthony Hopkins) fights against Spain in the Mexican War of Independence as Zorro, a mysterious avenger who defends the Mexican peasants and commoners of Las Californias."

(courtesy of wiki)

The story has been adapted many times to have many different twists, but has always been tied to defending the Mexican people. And, like I said earlier, the "real" Zorro was a hero of the Mexican War for Independence. At this point I'm just going to be talking in circles so I will step out of the discussion and let woot decide. I have made my defense and I can see that not everyone will agree, but since it isn't up to me I will just wait and see what happens now.

Really? That's just the most recent adaptation of the ORIGINAL Zorro. Written and created for somebody in the U.S.A almost 100 years ago. Not even mentioning that your excuse saying that 'El Cura' Hidalgo was called Fox (Which I doubt and you never mentioned in the first sub)
I Quote: "Zorro (Spanish for fox) is the secret identity of Don Diego de la Vega (originally Don Diego Vega), a nobleman and master living in the Spanish colonial era of California."
" Don Diego Vega becomes Señor Zorro in the pueblo of Los Angeles in California "to avenge the helpless, to punish cruel politicians," and "to aid the oppressed.""
All quoted from the ONLY wikipedia page about the Zorro you tried to picture

runnerfrog13

This is kindof ignorant and offensive, like implying that you'll die if you drink the water in Mexico... plenty of people (notably the ENTIRE POPULATION) drink water there and are still alive.