+ Add a Comment

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Happy Mexican Food! (V.3 on cran)

Ok, I *think* this is my last version... I made some more changes to the design, and then also decided maybe it looked better with the changes on cranberry. Thanks for looking!

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: Ay Chihuahua!

Thanks Boots! I had a good time with this one

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Cocijo's 925

Thanks guys!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
kevlar51 wrote:Thanks Boots! I had a good time with this one

"Good time??" Was that all it was to you!? A "GOOD TIME!?" It meant the world to me, and all you can say is you had a "good time!" I'll never be as good as Walmazan, will I!? You were thinking about him the whole time, weren't you! ;)

DantesHavok

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DantesHavok
endangeredomega wrote:No amount of votes will make this design any more "Mexican" than it was when it was first rejected. As for the 'Alta California' argument ... AZ, NM, TX, etc. were all part of Mexican territory at some point also. Are designs referencing these areas/cultures all also fair game for this week's derby?

I don't see why not, unless you want Woot to start enforcing that everything posted must be factual within the context of the present day. Sweeping rejections for anything that show Mexico as it was in the past than it is today. I'd like to see everything to do with the wars, and everything historical rejected. ¬_¬

awcoburn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awcoburn
bellarific wrote:I love Mexico's quick-tempo, lively music. I always feel like I'm engulfed in it when I'm listening/dancing to it.

So I made a shirt about it. ^_^

This is a really great design. I hope you resubmit on a different shirt color!

Lindsm819

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lindsm819
Re: Happy Mexican Food!

Is this not precisely what the derby prompt said not to do?

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: La Fiesta

Detalle:

explodedwhale

quality posts: 5 Private Messages explodedwhale
ramyb wrote:I can understand woot's decision to reject for text, but stating that El Zorro has nothing to do with Mexico is completely false. Not only was the fictional character of Zorro a hero of the Mexican people, but the real "El Zorro" was an actual hero in the Mexican War for independence. I wanted to resubmit this because I feel that it deserves a chance to compete, but ultimately it is up to woot to decide.

He's not Mexican. He'll never be Mexican. He was even created by an American named Johnston McCully (who isn't Mexican either!). Even the guy who played him on TV (Guy Williams)wasn't Mexican! Focus on the rules for once! Gah!

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: Frida Y Diego

Yes! I would wear this while carrying my Frida plush doll around.

BootsBoots

Re: What do you mean Roswell's in NEW Mexico?

It makes me happy and creeps me out at the same time. That's a good thing.

Edit: I voted for this and it fell out of the fog... I am cursed!

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

Bold & weird & wonderful. Nicely done.

BootsBoots

These colors are spectacular!

nancyzas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nancyzas

Ay Chihuahua is a riot! Next time try a margarita glass.

Oxyminoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Oxyminoan
Re: Frida Y Diego

I have a friend who would go absolutely nuts over this.

Really hope it prints.

BootsBoots

I could look at this forever and still find new thing that I like.

endangeredomega

Re: Arroz con Pollo in Death to the Undead

Your colouring skills continue to absolutely astound me. I may have to get into some illegal fighting rings myself, in order to make some cash & hire you to colour some of my indie comic book projects!

BootsBoots

Re: Nacho Libre

The depth on this is really neat.

endangeredomega

Re: Mexico D.F.

Brilliant stuff. Any chance you'll be able to rework and resub w/o the text element?

BootsBoots

Re: Arroz con Pollo in Death to the Undead

I love the little orange sketchies. The make for a really nice contrast.

taylertot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taylertot
BootsBoots wrote:"Good time??" Was that all it was to you!? A "GOOD TIME!?" It meant the world to me, and all you can say is you had a "good time!" I'll never be as good as Walmazan, will I!? You were thinking about him the whole time, weren't you! ;)

Well...it was Walmazan...his sweet nothings whispered in the ear really are hot...

coolestghoul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coolestghoul
bellarific wrote:GAH HOW DO YOU DO THIS

+1

Can you please submit "Gallows Humor" and win first, second and third place this week, plz?

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
petitefilou wrote:I don't have a problem with the design, but if they rejected the first they should reject this one too. If they changed their minds, they should change the reason for the original rejection or un-reject it or SOMETHING.

This seems just inconsistent and silly, and frustrates me for reasons which have nothing to do with the artist and everything to do with woot's rubbish, inconsistent, opaque and seemingly randomly applied rejection policy.

I think that woot's decision to reject the original is fine based on the fact that the background symbol resembled text. I wasn't sure if I was crossing a line with the original, and it seems I was; however, I wanted to dispute the second part of the rejection notice, and that's why I resubmitted with a correction to the background. I took the time to defend my design, and hope that woot will read it and consider the inspiration for the design. Like I said before, it is obviously woot's decision in the end, but I didn't want to just let it go. The theme is not famous mexicans, the theme is Mexico. And for the record, the derby theme states Spanish colonialism as fair game. The entire Zorro story is based in Spanish colonialism and represents the struggle of the Mexicans against the Spanish with Zorro as their hero.

taylertot

This is an awesome shirt design! I'm still waiting on your red zebra one coming in the mail...hopefully it'll be here soon. And naturally, I did get Kevlar's In the Library with the Wrench shirt. Two fantastic artists!

moronbrigade

quality posts: 23 Private Messages moronbrigade
BootsBoots wrote:I love the little orange sketchies. The make for a really nice contrast.

As a Professional Wrestler in Training, I truly appreciate this shirt and willing to buy one! Great job!

Seize the Opportunity.

taylertot

Re: DOOM SQUAD Los Muertos

Great design! I've always wondered...as I've seen a lot of collaborations...do you all split the earnings evenly or what if you win?

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

Wow guy, awesome collab, you two guys rock hard! +1
Hay chihuahua!!!!!

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
Re: Ancient Astronaut

As a big fan of Mayan culture and their extensive knowledge about the cosmos i wanted to do an illustration based on the Mayan King Pakal and his famous carved stone sarcophagus lid , which according to many people its a proof of ancient astronauts or aliens visiting our planet since many years ago , check the similarities with a real spaceship … In the center of the frame theres a man sitting like an astronaut on a complex chair with some kind of ungravity in his hair , he has a mask on his nose probably to breath , he uses his two hands to manipulate some controls and the heel of his left foot is on some sort of pedal with different controls or positions , the rear portion is separated from him where the engine is and outside at the bottom of the whole frame you can see a flames like in the spaceships propulsion systems , also you can see some kind of wings on both sides o the frame , i think theres about 18 or 20 similarities with modern spaceships.

Here the real stone lid

6 color on black , here a larger view and hope you like it , thanks.

kevlar51

BootsBoots wrote:"Good time??" Was that all it was to you!? A "GOOD TIME!?" It meant the world to me, and all you can say is you had a "good time!" I'll never be as good as Walmazan, will I!? You were thinking about him the whole time, weren't you! ;)

boooootsyyy pleaaaaase!!!! it's not like that!!! you know you're the only collab partner for me! that walmazan guy ... he's just for fun every now and again ...

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
JRWorkshop wrote:How?

I have literally never heard otherwise in my entire life. Seriously.

As I've understood it and as a quick Google search appears to support, the character Zorro was an upper class Mexican dude (with some connection to Spain) who fought his area's oppressive government.

And also, though you're dismissing the Alta California argument, that seems really shortsighted. If at the time the design depicts, that area was considered part of Mexico... then how would the design itself be off topic? The areas clearly shared major cultural influences and even a government.

I'm no fan of the design (cutesy animals just aren't my thing), but it seems plenty on topic.

BootsBoots

kevlar51 wrote:boooootsyyy pleaaaaase!!!! it's not like that!!! you know you're the only collab partner for me! that walmazan guy ... he's just for fun every now and again ...

Don't lie to me! You came home reeking of fruit with smiley faces!

vizthum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vizthum
Re: Revenge

I see a movie franchise coming out of this. Brendan Fraser, you busy?

expo01

This is fantastic man , nunca paras de asombrarme amigo! votadisimo!

kevlar51

BootsBoots wrote:Don't lie to me! You came home reeking of fruit with smiley faces!

that may be true... but I came home to the slogans.

taylertot

Re: El Zorro

Don't worry, ramyb. I don't necessarily like or dislike you, but from what I can see...people on here are just jealous that you have a lot of support. Haters gonna hate, and all that.

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: What do you mean Roswell's in NEW Mexico?

Good job making an original sugar skull design! There are some out there, but no alien-sugar-skulls

melloncollie3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melloncollie3

Incredible, an absolutely immense design.

expo01

Re: The Three Amigos

lol , so good , love the sombreros! +1

(o;

expo01

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=53976]They call me

lol! nice one man! +1

scruz78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scruz78

Yes, yes, yes... unbelievably adorable. I want one!