jsh139


quality posts: 13 Private Messages jsh139

Cool shirt. LOTR wins the battle, hands down. HP is a rip-off.

Similarities between Harry Potter and the Lord Of The Rings


Insert signature here.

kaedex99


quality posts: 5 Private Messages kaedex99
patberry wrote:"How does this not qualify for disqualification due to copyrighted characters?"

No such thing. Characters cannot be copyrighted. Specific sequences of words, such as novels or stories, can be copyrighted. The NAMES of characters can be trademarked, but I don't see any names on this shirt, do you?

In any case, this shirt is obviously a parody, and is therefore covered by the "fair use" exception to copyright infringement in the U.S. (and the equivalent "fair dealing" exception in most other English-speaking countries).



I don't mean to get into a debate, but your first statement is absolutely untrue. Characters that are the original creation of an author -- in that they have unique and strongly identifiable descriptors pertaining to physical appearance, clothing, mannerisms, etc. -- are as protected under copyright law as the text itself. The glasses, the scar on his forehead, the scarf, the wand, the use of magic -- all of these elements combined create the pre-established entity of Harry Potter, who is the property of J.K. Rowling (text) and Warner Bros. (film). You can't argue that the designer isn't profiting off the depiction of two characters that are not of his/her own creation. People are buying this shirt because it pertains to Harry Potter and/or Lord of the Rings -- not because they like the look of two nondescript wizard books dueling one another. It is derivative work. Plain and simple.

As for parody, no. Parody is a form of commentary upon the material, mocking or otherwise poking fun of a certain aspect within the work itself. This, at best, is commenting upon an ongoing debate between the fans of two book series and is, therefore, external to the copyrighted work itself. There is no statement within the design that comments upon Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. And even if there were, how is it mocking either?

The whole unspoken rule of fan art is that it, in no way, detracts financially from the copyright owners. I don't see how selling t-shirts like this isn't a slap in the face to the people who gave us these characters to enjoy. That's my personal, opinion, though. The part about characters being protected under copyright law is, in fact, true. The link below summarizes the basics:

http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2010/05/13/the-messy-world-of-fan-art-and-copyright/

As it so happens, though, I wasn't looking for a debate on copyright law. I was referring only to the derby rule in and of itself. Shirt.Woot says don't use "copyrighted characters" -- and I can't help but point out their own use of that phrase, which you claim does not exist -- and yet they printed this. If they're not afraid of litigation, that's all their business. But, speaking specifically to the rules they put forth, and as someone who participates in the derbies, I'm curious what their reasoning is. For my own purposes. That's all.

Aw, crud. Man. I write too much. -_-;; Sorry I created an eyesore on the page.

koneco


quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco
Medicfrost wrote:These guys were banned from my kid's school library.



You should probably burn that place down.

ashtomorgo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashtomorgo

The shirt doesn't need to tell the world that, cause i already told everybody This shirt is EPIC!!!

ashtomorgo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashtomorgo
Armagedon wrote:If books, then Harry Potter wins hands down! In LOTR, the characters walk a lot and while it is enjoyable to watch what is happening with a visual and audio in the movies, the books seemed to drag on to me (I thought they would never get out of the forest in The Hobbit ). I just push away the fact that the fellowship could have just flown the giant eagles over MT Doom and dropped the ring in, but nothing is perfect!
However, I really do like both authors' light sense of humor in their books.



To me, you cant even compare the two, they were written in two different generations by two totally different authors, they are both amazing in their own way!!

Zennifair


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Zennifair

Why are all the coolest shirts on brown?! I have so many brown shirts now. Oh well, guess I'm getting another...

~Zenn

jhgalvas


quality posts: 25 Private Messages jhgalvas

One of the best write ups I've read in a long time!

jessierahl


quality posts: 4 Private Messages jessierahl

There is no contest here. Gandalf is the man through and through. Harry Potter is good, but that's just one of the early the stepping stones on the path to the greats. It's like training wheels for fantasy.

Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire. Deserve victory. Tagla vassternich.

renkenr


quality posts: 7 Private Messages renkenr

Books vs books?

LotR wins hands, pants, and poker cards down. Royal flush beats 3 high nothing.

HP is literary tripe, at best. Missing half a hack to be a full hack job.

redrogue300


quality posts: 0 Private Messages redrogue300

Go Maryland! Trying to resist buying this for my upcoming trip to Universal, but it's so hard...

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Gandalf's got a ring to burn, and he's all out of hobbits.

darrentf


quality posts: 1 Private Messages darrentf

Uhhh..."Saruman"...not "Sarumon".

1st Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/1/2010! w00t!!11!!
2nd Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/2011! w00t!!11!!

marisano


quality posts: 2 Private Messages marisano
DavidHart wrote:Me, I prefer the classics. After all, Merlin, or even King Author and Excalibur, would be able to take both on without breaking a sweat. Merlin would simply immobilze both Harry and Gandalf in time and space. No coming back from that spell...

David



Hmmph. I would say that LOTR *is* a classic. Not so sure about Merlin vs. Gandalf, since Gandalf's spirit does not seem to be confined by time, but at any rate I suppose it would depend on when they would meet, as Merlin is aging backwards and becoming less wise in time. But Arthur and Excaliber? No way. Arthur would need the sheath, which unfortunately he has lost.

Interesting though, the son of an incubus and an 'angel incarnate'.

But it would be a dark day were they to come to blows.

gimmethatplz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gimmethatplz

Ok, the Harry Potter book is beyond adorable. I want to hold it and pinch its cheeks and listen to it squeal. This shirt has made my weary heart cry out with joy.

Vicarz


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Vicarz
kaedex99 wrote:I don't mean to get into a debate,.



You can always spot the attorney in the room! Or lately, the artist familiar with the vagaries of copyright law.

I'm calling "SPOILER" for the HP fans who don't read...

sjswarm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjswarm

I hope they made a lot of these in fat people sizes. XXL will sell out 1st, mark it down.

chrisprender


quality posts: 312 Private Messages chrisprender

Really nice lighting and shadow effects on this one. Almost hard to believe this level of detail can be accomplished on a six-color screenprint. Nice work, Jlegos!

khatheway


quality posts: 1 Private Messages khatheway

In for one! So glad this printed.

Setzer13


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Setzer13

The write-up is so much better than the shirt.

delachake


quality posts: 0 Private Messages delachake

Does this remind people of a recycledwax shirt? I had to double check the artist be the books look so simliar.


http://recycledwax.deviantart.com/art/Storytellers-183643248

vmforrest


quality posts: 9 Private Messages vmforrest
Armagedon wrote:If books, then Harry Potter wins hands down! In LOTR, the characters walk a lot and while it is enjoyable to watch what is happening with a visual and audio in the movies, the books seemed to drag on to me (I thought they would never get out of the forest in The Hobbit ). I just push away the fact that the fellowship could have just flown the giant eagles over MT Doom and dropped the ring in, but nothing is perfect!
However, I really do like both authors' light sense of humor in their books.



...that was great clip, thanks for sharing... :-)

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Shocking. Harry DIES?


I can't believe it, I've watched all these movies, all this time, and we're getting down to the LAST one, and...

you guys spoiled the ending for me? what next- did one of the Weaselys die too?

Oh! What about that hot chick that killed Serious Black? Talk about a death eater!

dang, I wish I could read beyond the second grade level you guys write at- then I might be able to at least attempt that other book. Lotr? is that it? what kind of name is that for a book? Jeeminy!

catta


quality posts: 1 Private Messages catta

So this is what love feels like.... All of the songs finally make sense.

First Big o' Cosmos: Super-secret Moofi edition on 06/16/2011

jhgalvas


quality posts: 25 Private Messages jhgalvas
penthus wrote:Oh good lord. "Don't wear this if it inspires skeezy slash fiction" just put the WORST mental image in my head. Thanks, Woot. You have destroyed my innocence.



"Skeezy" not "Sleezy"

kiriska


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kiriska

The dissertation proving books are always better than movies would only be 16 pages?

pinchecat


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pinchecat

that wizard doesn't have any sleeves!

thumperchick


quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick

In for one. I will absolutely wear this next time I know a good mix of Potter and/or LOTR fans will be anywhere. Muahahahaha!

*The note on skeezy fan fiction made a piece of my soul die. I put it in a horcrux.

sjswarm wrote:I hope they made a lot of these in fat people sizes. XXL will sell out 1st, mark it down.



Wow, a fat LOTR fan joke... you are classy AND original...

glendower


quality posts: 4 Private Messages glendower
kaedex99 wrote:I don't mean to get into a debate, but your first statement is absolutely untrue. Characters that are the original creation of an author -- in that they have unique and strongly identifiable descriptors pertaining to physical appearance, clothing, mannerisms, etc. -- are as protected under copyright law as the text itself. The glasses, the scar on his forehead, the scarf, the wand, the use of magic -- all of these elements combined create the pre-established entity of Harry Potter, who is the property of J.K. Rowling (text) and Warner Bros. (film). You can't argue that the designer isn't profiting off the depiction of two characters that are not of his/her own creation. People are buying this shirt because it pertains to Harry Potter and/or Lord of the Rings -- not because they like the look of two nondescript wizard books dueling one another. It is derivative work. Plain and simple.

As for parody, no. Parody is a form of commentary upon the material, mocking or otherwise poking fun of a certain aspect within the work itself. This, at best, is commenting upon an ongoing debate between the fans of two book series and is, therefore, external to the copyrighted work itself. There is no statement within the design that comments upon Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. And even if there were, how is it mocking either?

The whole unspoken rule of fan art is that it, in no way, detracts financially from the copyright owners. I don't see how selling t-shirts like this isn't a slap in the face to the people who gave us these characters to enjoy. That's my personal, opinion, though. The part about characters being protected under copyright law is, in fact, true. The link below summarizes the basics:

http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2010/05/13/the-messy-world-of-fan-art-and-copyright/

As it so happens, though, I wasn't looking for a debate on copyright law. I was referring only to the derby rule in and of itself. Shirt.Woot says don't use "copyrighted characters" -- and I can't help but point out their own use of that phrase, which you claim does not exist -- and yet they printed this. If they're not afraid of litigation, that's all their business. But, speaking specifically to the rules they put forth, and as someone who participates in the derbies, I'm curious what their reasoning is. For my own purposes. That's all.

Aw, crud. Man. I write too much. -_-;; Sorry I created an eyesore on the page.



That's some fancy law-talkin'! Good stuff!

glendower


quality posts: 4 Private Messages glendower

Hmm... if the books are fighting and this is about readability, I'd have to give the nod to the Harry Potter books. They're much more accessible, and I say that as a non-fan.

In terms of characters-- Gandalf in the book is decidedly more B.A. than HP and quite a bit more B.A. than the Gandalf of the movies (Gandalf was NOT afraid of the Witch-King, in fact, the opposite was true-- Wizards are not humans in Tolkien's universe-- they're basically angels and would tool on a Jatravartid undead human, dang it! Also the WK couldn't have destroyed Gandalf's staff. That was really an obnoxious change ).

santaclaudius


quality posts: 0 Private Messages santaclaudius

How come no one has comment that Gandalf becomes Dumbledore, making him a even more powerful wizard.

thumperchick


quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick
santaclaudius wrote:How come no one has comment that Gandalf becomes Dumbledore, making him a even more powerful wizard.



Because when he dies as Dumbledore, he doesn't come back as "Gandledore, the Baddest MoFo ever," he just... dies...

johnnykp98


quality posts: 1 Private Messages johnnykp98

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!

kimmberlysue


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimmberlysue
Armagedon wrote:Everyone get ready for July 15th!!!



i already have my imax 3d tickets! woot! lol

tsummers23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsummers23

Love it! My first shirt.woot purchase. Big fan of both series.

And it will give my buddies another reason to make fun of my ability to read and enjoy fantasy books.

kimmberlysue


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimmberlysue

harry potter is a gateway drug to Tolkien. just saying.

enzo01


quality posts: 10 Private Messages enzo01

You shall not past participle!

renkenr


quality posts: 7 Private Messages renkenr

Oh yes yes. The write up is 100% correct in that the book is better than the movie.

There. One sentence. No 16 page paper needed!

I be here to helps yous alls.

nastame


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nastame

This really needed the Necronomicon in it.

hinote


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hinote

Had to buy it. I love Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, I love when the two are put together.

foxbite


quality posts: 13 Private Messages foxbite

I've always thought that being Hogwarts' headmaster was just Gandalf's day job.

Everytime Dumbledore had to mysteriously "leave" Hogwarts at the worst possible moment, I figured it was to help Hobbits and ride giant eagles.