Ubie

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Ubie

You're the worst pirate, the worst pirate in the world...

dwayri

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dwayri

Condition: The Black Spot

I love the Treasure Island reference!!!

crazy4books

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazy4books
Ubie wrote:You're the worst pirate, the worst pirate in the world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ05Rvz0ybM

Love it! and I'm a girl.

terminatorgir

quality posts: 9 Private Messages terminatorgir

yay! a really clever design that doesnt require explaining!

crazybouncyliz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crazybouncyliz
copperchesnut wrote:I can't be the only one bothered by the fact that it doesn't add up to 100%.

no, no you are not. it was the first thing i immediately noticed about the shirt......

greenleaf44

quality posts: 8 Private Messages greenleaf44
dawnmt wrote:Best write up to Wear this shirt: because you want to laugh at all the mathematicians who’ll add up the numbers and complain while missing the incredibly visible math joke that’s pretty much right in the middle of the shirt. In fact, check out our forums and you’ll probably find some of those people right now! Maybe even on the I need a lift!!

I laughed. It's like Woot has a crystal ball, or something.

I laughed too, especially when I got to the line about English majors...I hadn't even noticed the math...

CosmicJester

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CosmicJester

But the limes pair better with the other thing British sailors were known to enjoy: Rum.

mayh658 wrote:It's never too late to prevent scurvy. The British sailors earned their 'limey' nicknames when they drank lime juice to fight the disease.

Lemons work better. They have more vitamin C.

Now you know. Let's make sure future pie(rate) charts are free of this senseless blight.

robbroncs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robbroncs

The Other 9% is for "AYE AYE!. . . .wait. . . .make that one Aye."

phonedog365

quality posts: 6 Private Messages phonedog365

So... what's the embedded math joke? Is there really a joke or just that the numbers don't add up (ha)?

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

Hahaha! Congrats Evan and Roni! its full of awesome!

spanchenblow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages spanchenblow
tedknaz wrote:Look, I just think Woot needs to quit promoting Pirate exceptionalism. Frankly, they need to quit promoting Ninja pride too. What Woot needs to do is promote peace. I think I have a solution: http://bearfishco.vendder.com/coexist-pirates-and-ninjas

Given its history, woot clearly has a zombie bias. I'm surprised they're offering this pirate shirt at all. Though, come to think of it, the numbers in the chart are skewed and fudged with... it's a conspiracy!

aercires

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aercires

This is definitely off. Rum should be at least 50%.

attentivevow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages attentivevow

Most amazing shirt i've seen on woot in a while.

Supersugar

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Supersugar

"Don't buy this shirt" has never rung so true. English major here, didn't add, missed the whole joke, alerted belatedly by the comments.

Skeezer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skeezer
copperchesnut wrote:I can't be the only one bothered by the fact that it doesn't add up to 100%.

I added it up too. What makes the last 9%?

missaudrey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages missaudrey

21% rum? Wouldn't that give our pirate a BAC of DEAD?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Let's all be glad that syphilis was less than a full percent. ;-)

Very fun tee - congrats on the print!

pirategirl86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pirategirl86

i bought it cuz well i'm a pirate girl & this shirt rules! i like it cuz it's super colorful & looks like a pirate. good job guys! instant buy :D ARRRRRRRR!!!!

puffytuffet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puffytuffet
freddybenelli wrote:It should actually be 50/91 of the face, because that is how much of a percentage is represented by the slices.

Well done, sir.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

100% love. Congrats you two!

pattwist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pattwist

This shirt is too smart for some wooters.

icancounttopotato

quality posts: 0 Private Messages icancounttopotato

im secretly a robot pirate. beep beep argh
LOL jk im hannah montana

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

ORDER CANCELLATION: now within 15 mins, click here for more details...
Need Some Help? Hit us up at support@woot.com
Have Any Questions? Check out Woot FAQ
Wanna Hear What's Going on All Things Woot? Swing by Our Blog

charityryan

quality posts: 3 Private Messages charityryan

Well done Evan and Roni! Hilarious shirt!

seesome

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seesome

Pirate humor + Chart humor (with a hidden math joke as well) + an excellent graphic design = First time shirt buyer.

ucirower

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ucirower

this shirt rocks, love that it doesn't add up to 100 at first thought.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5

The only thing this shirt would be good for is to identify Zaphod Beeblebroxs that are spending time adding numbers on my shirt rather than paying attention to the conversation we are having.

Also, the eye patch joke isn't get-able unless you are one of the previously mentioned Zaphod Beeblebroxs that would actually stare at a persons chest long enough to do the math.

If you have to reach that hard to tell a joke on a t-shirt, you are failing.

But,but,but,but it's Pirates! Everybody love pirates!

Edit: It took two separate people to make this?

murraymullet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages murraymullet

9% is an appropriate amount to be missing due to loss of hand, leg and eye. The replacement materials hardly makes up for the lack of body parts. I deem this pie chart to be completely arrrcurate.

smklung

quality posts: 9 Private Messages smklung

Im with you, its why i didn't buy it :_(

theafrank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theafrank

But the area of the eyepatch isn't 9% -- granted being 2 different shapes makes it harder to judge, but there is no way the area of the patch is more than double the area of scurvy.

thatheard

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thatheard

Shouldn't that be a Pie(rate) Chaaarrrt?

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark
creativehack wrote:9% missing
"i" is the ninth letter
i = eye

Patch = to fill

therefore:
eye patch fills in the missing value

It is a simple case of pirate math people

Thanks for the explanation - doesn't seem like much of a math "joke" though. If it takes that long to explain, then it's probably not that funny.

I just don't see people going, "OH, OH, OH, 'I' is the ninth letter of the alphabet and 9% is missing and it's an "I"-patch! That is toooo funny." No, they'll roll their eyes and think that the person wearing it is trying entirely too hard. Would have been better to just say Pirates suck at math. Or better yet, nix the un-funny math "joke" and re-number the pieces of pie to more closely align with their proportional size. The pirate aspects are what make it funny and worth buying -- the math aspect is such a stretch it's s-t-u-p-EYE-d.

copperchesnut

quality posts: 3 Private Messages copperchesnut
kcmark wrote:doesn't seem like much of a math "joke" though.

Maybe the percentages are off because of the subtle difference between this circle's area and that of a normal circle. It was probably a simple case of pi(arrr)squared.

I went there. Still not a fan of the shirt, sadly. I want to like it. :-(

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark
copperchesnut wrote:I want to like it. :-(

Me too.

otterpop321

quality posts: 0 Private Messages otterpop321

YARRR BOOOTY! You've got me again shirt woot!

"You can't destroy the Earth! That's where I keep my STUFF!" - The Tick

fes

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fes

this is the first shirt design that i've liked in almost 11 months. excellent work! in for 2.

creativehack

quality posts: 29 Private Messages creativehack
kcmark wrote:Thanks for the explanation - doesn't seem like much of a math "joke" though. If it takes that long to explain, then it's probably not that funny.

I just don't see people going, "OH, OH, OH, 'I' is the ninth letter of the alphabet and 9% is missing and it's an "I"-patch! That is toooo funny." No, they'll roll their eyes and think that the person wearing it is trying entirely too hard. Would have been better to just say Pirates suck at math. Or better yet, nix the un-funny math "joke" and re-number the pieces of pie to more closely align with their proportional size. The pirate aspects are what make it funny and worth buying -- the math aspect is such a stretch it's s-t-u-p-EYE-d.

Umm
I made that stuff up, I have no connection to the artists that created the design and only found an obscure connection which (I'm pretty confident) was never their intention

RAMPage Soccer for your iPad

beccasmithwriter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beccasmithwriter
greenleaf44 wrote:I laughed too, especially when I got to the line about English majors...I hadn't even noticed the math...

Neither did I! I had to read the forum comments to get it. I probably shouldn't buy this shirt.

jhgalvas

quality posts: 25 Private Messages jhgalvas
fes wrote:this is the first shirt design that i've liked in almost 11 months. excellent work! in for 2.

You have a current streak of not liking over 300 shirts and you still come back to woot? Wow.

jhgalvas

quality posts: 25 Private Messages jhgalvas

As long as people are linking their fave pirate vids... It's the pirates who don't do anything!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaWU1CmrJNc