+ Add a Comment

flamestamp13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flamestamp13
cynic11 wrote:and its the wrong "your"

It's not, though. It's the one-liner shirt that belongs to you, so it's "your." If you were the one-liner shirt, it would be "you're"

cwwaller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwwaller

It was an option in the Illustrator Artist's Template

joshuaelander

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuaelander
AdderXYU wrote:The concept in both is that the onion is making other vegetables cry. You could argue that it's different because one is an unintentional bully and the other just smells bad, but that is the same concept

By definition its a different concept because the concept behind the image is different. The image itself isn't even the same. Yes, albeit very similar. However as everyone should know when you post something online it becomes intellectual property and even in the bylaws of these shirt sites says you can't hold claim to these images anymore.

He is therefore not breaking any rules and he didn't straight up copy the design/theme/concept and he didn't steal the other works he has on the reckoning.

I trust woot on this one they aren't poooonys.

AdderXYU wrote: This is why I rail about how there are essential facts about taste and quality and it's not all opinion. You cannot give a valid reason why this is better, and no one with respectable artistic opinions would agree with you.

Isn't the whole point of shirt.woot.com to be pick the shirt in your opinion is the best? Time and time again I see shirts that clearly didn't take as much time and effort nor did they take as much skill to design but win based on the fact that it was what the people wanted. So you can go on your spiel that "any respectable artist would disagree" but frankly its the regular people's vote who counts.

pokethedeadkat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pokethedeadkat
Re: Officer owl

This Owl is an Officer with the Independent Order of Oddfellows. For good measure, he's in an Oval frame. And maybe his fly is Open.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Ocarina of Timepieces

Great design. My kiddo will love this. He's a huge Ocarina of Time fan.

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: The Orb-Weaver

Wow! this is amazing! +1

kahly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kahly
patrickspens wrote:I use Photoshop

^(**)^ Teach me Sensei!!

almsforoblivion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages almsforoblivion
Re: Orion's Belt

I only worry that the printable area of the shirt might not go that far down.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Drakxxx wrote:The Olympic rings banner in the background is a nice "O" bonus as well.

I think Woot has rejected use of the Olympic rings logo though.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
joshuaelander wrote:Isn't the whole point of shirt.woot.com to be pick the shirt in your opinion is the best? Time and time again I see shirts that clearly didn't take as much time and effort nor did they take as much skill to design but win based on the fact that it was what the people wanted. So you can go on your spiel that "any respectable artist would disagree" but frankly its the regular people's vote who counts.

So what you are saying is that people pick worse shirts, and that's OK. You are arguing that the worst should profit, if people want the worst.

As to "he didn't steal anything else in the reckoning," are you suggesting he is dr. seuss? Because there is no real parody in that. Just illustrations of dr. seuss characters and ideas. Which, again, theft.

kahly

Re: America's Favorite Sandwich Cookie

Oh good one and gross! lol

almsforoblivion

Re: Soviet Onions

Oh! I get it now. Soviet UNION to Soviet ONION(s). Teehee, clever.

technicolorpie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages technicolorpie
Re: Octopus Owies

Frankly, as long as SOME octopus shirt wins this round I'll be happy. I don't have nearly enough octopus shirts in my collection!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
cynic11 wrote:and its the wrong "your"

and it's the wrong "its"

move along

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: The Orb-Weaver

Sooo goooooood!!!!

almsforoblivion

Re: Orbital Ocelot

I like ocelots a lot. GMV.

amy1oowho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amy1oowho
Re: Orly Owls' Opprobrium

I love this. This is my default expression. I'd love three owls on my chest to match it.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
almsforoblivion wrote:Oh! I get it now. Soviet UNION to Soviet ONION(s). Teehee, clever.

Yes! Commies! Red onions!

AdderXYU

curli76 wrote:I don't think Woot even has an orange shirt, do they?

they used to, but they replaced it with more grey.

Really prolly should have waited til AFTER this derby for the greyscaling process

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss
Re: The O-riginal!

GMV

Wish I could give you many more.

joshuaelander

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuaelander
walmazan wrote:The O-riginal! (Submitted to Threadless a year ago.)

Hope you like it!

Hey this is similar to this older threadless shirt posted 3 years ago...

http://www.threadless.com/submission/173840/onion_bully/showmore,designs

deisdestiny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deisdestiny

Adorable, i love it and want one!

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
joshuaelander wrote:even in the bylaws of these shirt sites says you can't hold claim to these images anymore.

I'm pretty sure that means that the design now belongs to the site to do with it what they like, not for any other artist to pilfer for their own profit.

Also, please do some reading on the meaning of "intellectual property." I don't think you know what it is.

kahly

Re: Over Caffeinated Octopus

This derby starting off with a lot of great shirts.

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
Re: Level 85 Ogre

insert comment here -->

BillBeggs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BillBeggs
Re: Omniscience

...errrr...omniscient

kahly

Re: Orbital Ocelot

Well hey there good looking!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Is that third one lines of coke?

move along

flamestamp13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flamestamp13
almsforoblivion wrote:I'm inclined to agree. In fact, I think they should display the artist name in the mouseover text for each thumbnail. It'll help people find the artists they like to follow.

As someone who consistently gets maybe 4-7 votes a derby, I think this is a terrible idea. I'm usually a fan of the shirts that print, and there are artists who have very recognizable styles where people will always click. But having the ability to hover over and find "the artists you like to follow" will mean that the same five people will print every time. I long for the heady days of 20 votes, but at least make the voters look at the submissions to see if maybe there is someone new and talented without the name recognition. Heck, if anything I'd move to get rid of the "I'd buy it" option from the derby view!

PixelPotato

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PixelPotato

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
Re: Octo-Pants!

Dude, this rocks!

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69

Next is a layer of mustard, right?

AdderXYU

joshuaelander wrote:Hey this is similar to this older threadless shirt posted 3 years ago...

http://www.threadless.com/submission/173840/onion_bully/showmore,designs

If you want to make that argument, you can't make the argument that ramy's isn't similar. Because there is a gap between the crapshoot you posted and walmazans, while there's barely room for the holy spirit between ramy's and walmazan's.

No one's saying it's an incredibly fresh idea. We are saying that ramy clearly created his from walmazan's. There's no reason that on a site where twice to thrice as many entries are subbed than at woot, one person with no history of theft would catch a poorly done tee that finished voting early, and decide to illustrate it from a different angle years later.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Oceanic Octopus
kahly wrote:Cute! (^^) I love the color.

Thanks kahly!

kate1188

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kate1188
j5 wrote:Is that third one lines of coke?

Obviously you've never opened up an oreo cookie and scraped your teeth across the frosting...

almsforoblivion

Re: Octo-Pants!

This is the funninest octopus shirt currently in the derby.

bossbug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bossbug
Re: OLIVE ONSLAUGHT

hope you dig.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Obliging Overloaded Ox
kahly wrote:That's cute (^ ^).

Thank you!

almsforoblivion wrote:Such a nice, sweet design. If this gets printed, it would probably sell well in kids' sizes.

Isn't that a nice ox? So obliging! He's even chiming in a note. Thanks almsforoblivion.

naeylonsidhe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages naeylonsidhe
Re: Octopus Owies

This is absolutely adorable. LOVE IT

bossbug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bossbug
kahly wrote:For some reason i imagen glow in the dark with this shirt would look cool.

simple and crazy good, love this one.