Medicfrost

quality posts: 51 Private Messages Medicfrost

I saw a Tree of Life at Animal Kingdom.

ravicai

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ravicai

Reminds me of Zeal in Chrono Trigger.

mayh658

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mayh658

Is someone selling this tree? I see lots of little price tags hanging from the branches.

lonelypond

quality posts: 417 Private Messages lonelypond

Restful; lovely greens.

grygon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grygon

Love this one! Voted for it in the derby, now buying 1.

bluejester

quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester

Congrats on the print Patrickspens!

I feel so calm and zen-like looking at this, there should be some wise old saying to go with the shirt. Something like,"Do not ponder why the tree floats, but instead let your mind float like the tree"

um, maybe not.

etripoli

quality posts: 18 Private Messages etripoli

I'm not so sure what all those white things are hanging from the rope around the trunk. They look suspiciously like, hmm, small cylindrically shaped pieces of cotton.

almsforoblivion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages almsforoblivion

The biggest question in my mind is: Where does the water come from? Because seriously, wouldn't it run out?

Medicfrost

HOLY HECK, are those Charlie Brown's kites in that tree?!

bluejester

quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester

Hahaha! Love the right up for the artist bio.

Wait, if patrickskpens is an analogy for the giving tree, and the shirt today is by patrickspens--does that mean, in fact, that patrickspens IS the tree?

Ah woot, your wisdom contains much oddness.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

LOL, I figured this tree one would do well. Very peaceful and it has a nice waterfall effect there.

xarous

quality posts: 11 Private Messages xarous

It reminds me of Jōmon Sugi, thought to be over 2,000 years old in Japan.

tbwulf

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tbwulf

This shirt seems to compliement the Aztec Sunset one. In for one, might end up buying the Aztec one to go with it.

tomcall

quality posts: 102 Private Messages tomcall

I half expected to see some sort of Harry Potter reference on shirt.woot tonight after reading Facebook statuses about it all day.

tomcall

quality posts: 102 Private Messages tomcall

Fantastic design, though! Once again, patrickspens, you put Sandy Utah on the map!

putdowntheducky

quality posts: 9 Private Messages putdowntheducky

So is this tree from the Japanese version of Ferngully, keeping Tim Curry locked away until a giant robot accidentally cuts it down?

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Even with the tutorial, I still don't understand your halftone voodoo!

Awesome work, Patrick!

Medicfrost

Now I'm glad I missed the Harry Potter Midnight release to see today's Shirt Woot. This shirt is way hotter than Hermione.

turtlegir1

quality posts: 34 Private Messages turtlegir1

So, what was the "mystery icon" and did anyone win it?

Satoshi4649

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Satoshi4649

Finally! I have discovered inner peace.

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz

Reminds me a little bit of The Fountain.

hayesadrian

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hayesadrian

Looks like the artist spent some time in Nagrand, perhaps?

chrisprender

quality posts: 312 Private Messages chrisprender

Something about Patrickspens and trees just equals insta-win, both in the derby and on my torso.

spiderweb1986

quality posts: 3 Private Messages spiderweb1986

Personally, I prefer Gary Oak.

brendan948725

quality posts: 39 Private Messages brendan948725

I'm loving the reference to The Giving Tree in the artist description! That's a well-placed childhood throwback.

*MOST RECENT WOOTS!*

• Random Crap
  • Light Blocking Curtains and Rod
  • HP Deskjet Wireless

• 20 Woots! (5 Bungled Original Communicator)
  • 27 Shirts!
  • 5 Sellouts!
  • 2 Homes!
  • 1 Sport!
  • 2 Techs!
  • 1 Wine!
  • 1 Accessories!
  • 2 Pops!

leftielespaul

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leftielespaul

I don't buy Woot shirts all the time and will typically look at the day's shirt without much of a second glance. But without fail, every time it's one of patrick's, I start an inner debate about whether or not to spend the 10 bucks and get it. Well done as always, patrick!! I may very well end up with ANOTHER one of your shirts. =)

ChaosDoctor07

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07

Gah. That tree is totally defenseless. Why, a mere champion of dragons, for example, if launched at the proper speed and trajectory, could easily destroy its flotation rope.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

KrystieM

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KrystieM

Lovely design!

Though I'm confused by the white tags. Are they weights, like bonsai? And the rope-like band at the base, could that be wire?

nskripchun

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nskripchun
KrystieM wrote:Lovely design!

Though I'm confused by the white tags. Are they weights, like bonsai? And the rope-like band at the base, could that be wire?

I'm not the creator of the design, but it's obviously influenced by traditional Japanese Shinto beliefs.

The rope around the middle is called a "shimenawa" and the hanging paper on the rope shaped like lightning bolts is called "shime". Its considered a way of marking something that is sacred, along with warding away evil spirits.

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/shrine-guide-2.shtml#shimenawa

The strips of paper hanging from the branches is similar to the Tanabata Festival, where people hang wishes written on paper strips, "tanzaku", on the branches of bamboo trees.

explodedwhale

quality posts: 5 Private Messages explodedwhale

I keep looking for Sam Worthington and a few other 7' tall blue people but I don't see them. Can someone point them out?

nanalart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nanalart

This is gorgeous! Congratulations!

bethjoyd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bethjoyd

Man, I really really REALLY want this shirt, but I just splurged on another woot shirt recently, and I'm really short on cash. But this shirt is so beautiful! I love the water cascading down, it's a beautiful effect.

Efreak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Efreak
bethjoyd wrote:Man, I really really REALLY want this shirt, but I just splurged on another woot shirt recently, and I'm really short on cash. But this shirt is so beautiful! I love the water cascading down, it's a beautiful effect.

Agreed. But then, if I got every shirt I liked, I'd be..what, very happy? This didn't turn out so well.

On another note, I paid for two random shirts, and got a lovely third with it, which was nice. I like all three, and this (random shirts) is my way of getting 2 for the price of one (almost) and not having to choose which one I like best.

Kuragari

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Kuragari

I've pretty much reached my limit on woot shirts, but some shirts like this one are just too good to not have.

tympanic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tympanic
hayesadrian wrote:Looks like the artist spent some time in Nagrand, perhaps?

That is exactly what i was thinking...Nice place though!

http://southernwardens.com/tbc/nagrand_wp.jpg

http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/n/nagrand_waterfall_glow-247311-1245030908.jpeg

Edit: Could also be like the floating rocks in Avatar:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/avatar%20floating/nodowtgirl/rocks/JaimeJones.jpg

biscottie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biscottie

In for an XL and 2XL. Very nice.

cernenus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cernenus

I'll probably be dating myself by saying this but...

Roger Dean would be proud.

(for those unfamiliar, a nice slideshow with appropriate music no less, is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOu1wkE3oOg See especially right around 2:10 for some great examples of his 'floating islands' stuff

pettmybunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pettmybunny
nskripchun wrote:I'm not the creator of the design, but it's obviously influenced by traditional Japanese Shinto beliefs.

The rope around the middle is called a "shimenawa" and the hanging paper on the rope shaped like lightning bolts is called "shime". Its considered a way of marking something that is sacred, along with warding away evil spirits.

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/shrine-guide-2.shtml#shimenawa

The strips of paper hanging from the branches is similar to the Tanabata Festival, where people hang wishes written on paper strips, "tanzaku", on the branches of bamboo trees.

Thanks nskripchun! I was reading through all the posts wondering if nobody knew, but you saved the day. My 17 year old son threw a Tanabata party last year, with all his friends. I made california rolls (along with some good ol' american style grilled burgers and hot dogs). I made rice krispie treats to look like assorted sushi for dessert, and amazingly, that went over better than the real sushi Then the kids wrote their wishes and dreams and hung them on our apple tree outside. Good good fun....

goodviking

quality posts: 2 Private Messages goodviking

I think it's a Camphor tree and that it's full of Totoro.