helgram

quality posts: 1 Private Messages helgram
Re: The Wait

Thank-you BumperK! I believe they are saving the graham crackers and chocolate for that special last day

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine
curli76 wrote:I guess I'm just trained to have a Gregorian/James Taylor view of the chronological order of seasons. GMV anyway.

This is more of the Sinatra "It Was a Very Good Year" progression of seasons.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
Re: ASSASSINS WILD

I love that the spade carries a spade.

Nothing follows.

TomatoSoup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TomatoSoup

Side placement is best for this one.

illeander

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illeander
RnKH wrote:i know its not intended, but when i saw the thumbnail i had to take a second to figure out where that horseshoe was hanging...

You made me look, Its so wrong, soooo wrong.
(but funny)

ImperialPanda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ImperialPanda
Re: the 4 seasons

I like the column more than a square (or some sort of cycle). With a column it's immediately apparent that you go from top to bottom. Whereas with a square/cycle, without arrows (bleh), it takes more work to figure out which way things are going, whether it's arranged 1/2/3/4, 1/4/2/3, 1/2/4/3, or whatever.

You also have more freedom with the elements that are outside each season's box. When you do it in a square you're limited to making it a bit more symmetrical and/or evenly spread.

I also like the blending when you go from one season to the next.

I think it's a really nice illustration, unfortunately it's too girly for me. :P And while a column is better than a square, a horizontal bar might be more wearable on a shirt. Unless you have a full-shirt design or something really abstract I think it's probably best to keep most of the things around the chest area.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
j5 wrote:^This here, y'all.

BlindDog skill scale
[poo]..................................[awesome]
...................................^[this entry]
You didn't get full awesome because I know your potential, but shirts don't need full potential.

4 hours?

4 hours, Xactly! What else for a "4" Derby!

j5 wrote:cheers ya sightless mongrel.
(D'Artagnan is my fave, the little rapscallion)

That's why he looks like my puppy! He's balls2theWalls fearless and he's only "this Big."

I like that, on his first day in Paris, he managed to be challenged in 3 duels before noon. All with the King's personal Bodyguard.

My fave was always Porthos because, well, that's how I roll. Livin' Life!

Got a "Thang" this wekend, won't be around much.

Keep it Alive, Johnny5!
BlindDog

Vicka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vicka

So for this week’s derby I decided to go with the essential dungeons and dragons party. Whenever I have played, we always need those four essential classes: a fighter, cleric, wizard, and rogue. To be honest, most RPGs need this balance in the party to be prepared for any dungeon crawling incidents. You could probably tie this week’s theme to 4th edition DnD, but I’m a 3.5 person and don’t want to end up going down that road. Or maybe these four characters are a metaphor for real life skills… like… unlocking people’s secrets… hm!

pharmacide

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pharmacide
Re: Four Is Death

There are four watches swinging with deaths face reflected. The time is 4:44. The Pantone color used is 444.

Some reasons why four is death:

In Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, the words for "four" and "death", despite being written differently, are pronounced similarly (somewhat like "sì" in Mandarin, "sei" in Cantonese, "shi" in Japanese, and "sa" in Korean). As a cultural trope, Asian works of media tend to treat the number the same way Western writers treat the number 13.

Villainous groups of four are often given the name of The Day the Ponies Come Back (2000), a reference to the Four Heavenly Kings, Buddhist guardian gods of the four cardinal directions. Historically, the name The Day the Ponies Come Back (2000) was applied to a samurai lord's four best men, which is the root of the "four subordinates to a powerful leader" trend in many Japanese stories (while you're more likely to see heroes in groups of three or five).

Christianity also has several examples of Four Is Death, with the Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse and the Four Last Things (Death, Judgment, Hell, and Glory). In Judaism, the number four is also prominent, some examples being the four worlds described in the Kabbalah, the four brothers, the four horns of the altar in Daniel, the forty days of raining during the Deluge, and the four matriarchs (not to mention the Tetragrammaton, or four letter name—the written name of God).

Special thanks to my wife for the idea of a pocket watch on the time of 4:44.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: Fantastic Musketeers [Resub]

OK, here's my take on it, Porthos (The Bear) is "The Thing, D'Artagnan (The puppy) is "Johnny Torch," Athos (The Fox) would be Reed, and Sue Richards (wearing an eye patch and fake mustache) would be Aramis (The Puss in Boots).

There is a very similar dynamic between the two teams of four. Especially Ben & Johnny and Porthos é Le Garçon d'Artagnan. I spoke with Stan about it and he said that's who he had in mind when he wrote the Comic book. Yeah, me & Stan "The Man" Lee, we're tight.

CUL8r,
BlindDog3D

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
taternuggets wrote:I love that the spade carries a spade.

And the club carries a club, and the heart has a heart pendant. The only one I can't see a shoutout for is the diamond. Am I just missing it?

Either way, terrific and GMV.

moosepod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moosepod
sasham62 wrote:I don't usually like chibi (so of course I'm on woot ;-) ) but I like this one.

I would suggest that next time you take the shirt colors grid off your shirt comp.

Thanks!

VOTE- Click Below!!!

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
pharmacide wrote:There are four watches swinging with deaths face reflected. The time is 4:44. The Pantone color used is 444.

Clever stuff ... but ... that's 3:44 on the watch there.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

thanks for the comments everyone and support

j5 wrote:Heyyyy, I think you snuck in a 5.
Otherwise, I counted only 3 fours, probably missed some. I like your darker entry better than the "whimsy" ones this week.
:D

+1

actually there's 6 4's; 2 that make up the main skull, 2 four the nose, and 2 for the fangs.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: CMYK

Very cool concept and the layout is suprisingly wearable. :^)

deeelite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deeelite
Re: Abbey Roadblock

not a beatles fan... that said, i'd wear this very clever shirt any day. +1

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

Excellent work guys!

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Four Extraordinary Chihuahuas

Hahahaha! You always make my day!!! +1

thelargepaddle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelargepaddle
Re: Four Basses On Bases

This is sweet! I would love to show up to Vocal Jazz and show everybody this one. They would all love it.

pharmacide

There are four watches swinging with deaths face reflected. The time is 4:44. The Pantone color used is 444.

Some reasons why four is death:

In Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, the words for "four" and "death", despite being written differently, are pronounced similarly (somewhat like "sì" in Mandarin, "sei" in Cantonese, "shi" in Japanese, and "sa" in Korean). As a cultural trope, Asian works of media tend to treat the number the same way Western writers treat the number 13.

Villainous groups of four are often given the name of The Day the Ponies Come Back (2000), a reference to the Four Heavenly Kings, Buddhist guardian gods of the four cardinal directions. Historically, the name The Day the Ponies Come Back (2000) was applied to a samurai lord's four best men, which is the root of the "four subordinates to a powerful leader" trend in many Japanese stories (while you're more likely to see heroes in groups of three or five).

Christianity also has several examples of Four Is Death, with the Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse and the Four Last Things (Death, Judgment, Hell, and Glory). In Judaism, the number four is also prominent, some examples being the four worlds described in the Kabbalah, the four brothers, the four horns of the altar in Daniel, the forty days of raining during the Deluge, and the four matriarchs (not to mention the Tetragrammaton, or four letter name—the written name of God).

Special thanks to my wife for the idea of a pocket watch on the time of 4:44.

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: El Cuarto Jinete

very cute--nice job walmazan

kevlar51

Re: Walrus Quartet

thanks everyone

kevlar51

nice work guys!

kevlar51

Re: Four Apps

very sleek and clean

mrsbigeddi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrsbigeddi

a lot of history...very interesting
I like this and will vote because it's not 4:44 yet. hmm, 11:44

zaynne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zaynne

Beautiful illustration, really like that style!

pharmacide

mrsbigeddi wrote:a lot of history...very interesting
I like this and will vote because it's not 4:44 yet. hmm, 11:44

I couldn't put the numerals in with the no text rule so this should read with 12 being on top.

pharmacide

pharmacide wrote:I couldn't put the numerals in with the no text rule so this should read with 12 being on top.

Never Mind... I got it... I just need sleep...

bakerface22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bakerface22

I love my Chihauhua and Need this shirt

**Baker**

dylia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dylia
dylia wrote:Many thanks to those who commented on the original design!

Fourier Transform is basically the mathematical formula that describes how musical chords work. This is a visual depiction of that formula.

I hope you all enjoy it!

Small Correction: It's 4 colors on Royal now. I did away with the black.

cwendauthi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwendauthi
Re: The Fourth Horseman

Love the concept/humor, Ramy.

explodedwhale wrote:Here's what I see:
Death standing on a horse that is laying down. The position and size of Death and the way the horse's legs are make this a bit awkward for me. It's like Death is a low budget circus performer.

The expression on the horse's face is off to me. Maybe it would be better if he had teeth?

I agree that the horse is off, but it's definitely not lying down. Would you like some tacky motion marks or would you then just complain that it's spasming on the floor, legs akimbo? It's a cartoon horse doing a cartoony run. Its expression throws me off--and teeth might be the reason. I kind of get the impression of a cracked out pony that forgot to put in its dentures.

And Death would, at the most, have to be kneeling on the pony--you can see the line of Death's bent knee in his cloak. I guess he could have some non-human physiology under there. If he had goat legs he could be standing on the horse.

explodedwhale wrote:
In between Death's hand and the penguin, there is something that looks like a loch ness monster with udders.

Are you talking about the pony's tail? -.- I think you're grasping at straws with that criticism.

j5 wrote:LOL.
Did you and Walmazan call each other to decide what to wear to school today?

You know, it's really funny you say that because---

dcponcho wrote:I don't really see the four theme. I guess it has to do with the four horsemen and since one of them is death.

citystreetlight wrote:Although this is well done I find the only thing that connects this piece to the theme of the derby is the title. Although death is one of the horsemen of the Apocalypse, it appears as more of a stand alone concept. I just think it is too vague.

---these types of comments are *not* on Walz's 4th horseman shirt. I can understand disliking a specific person. But borderline hypocrisy is something else entirely.

FWIW, I think it's a stretch for the theme as well. Definitely lots of better subject matter to plunder.

ChaosDoctor07 wrote:And here I was hoping that after last week you'd aim closer to "Aztec Sunset" and farther from some of your previous work. -sigh-.

You mean, like this? http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=54719

abojko wrote:My prediction? We have a winner and the first black t-shirt in my closet. What? No, I'm no racist. I also discriminate against creme and lemon. Can you make a creme shirt I would buy, RAMYB? No? I didn't think so.

I don't think anyone would make a creme shirt I would buy and then actually wear. Right now I have 2, one from random-shirt roulette and one that I bought before I really though about a creme shirt would look like.

wootertim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootertim
Re: Wearing Down

Great and expressive design!

+1

cwendauthi

Re: The Wait

Yes, definitely best horseman shirt, hands down. Two quick criticisms: it's almost too busy--spacing them out a little more might have made it feel more balanced (to me); the marshmallow is a little too far down the arrow shaft--and you'd probably only shove it onto the barb, it'd never stay put on the shaft after being pushed over the barb (typing that felt unnecessarily dirty).

That said, those are my preference/neuroses coming into play. GMV anyway. I hope this replaces Ramy's or Walz's fogged fourth horseman designs. This fits the theme better and is, in general, a better twist on the (relatively tired) concept (imo.)

Astronomer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Astronomer
almsforoblivion wrote:Yay! Love to see a classic Doctor Who reference.

Almsforoblivion, I know you, Apelad, and a few others saw it, but do the rest of you know there was a Doctor Who reference shirt in the 'O' derby? It was pretty cool, too.

Yeah, you can't have too many of those. Not enough love for the Doctor.

cwendauthi

Re: Fantastic Elements

Nice take on the elements. Love the bubble for air. It seems like you're saying that water is the predominant one, with it interacting visually/conceptually with the other elements--makes me stop and think a little, which is one of the first times I can say that about a woot shirt. GMV.

kavizthum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kavizthum
willeet wrote:GMV! Love love love the Game of Thrones relate, excellent representation of Winterfell and "Winter is Coming".

Great to hear! Thanks. I hope it has a nice chill to it I appreciate the feedback.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5

Excellent use of pop culture without any point or statement.

Johndis5

Re: Abbey Roadblock

This looks partially traced, and I've seen shirts rejected for having a VW on them.

Johndis5

bluetuba wrote:This looks familiar.. or maybe just similar.

I'm having trouble placing it, but yeah, I think you're right.

missbutcher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages missbutcher

I really like this artwork, but I'm not sure who a couple of the characters are. The fourth is Legolas and the second is Link?