WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Who says a life of wonder, magic, and happy endings has to end with childhood? We want to stay in a realm of witches, dwarves, fairies, and wolves dressed up like our grandmother. Wait. Maybe not that last one. This week we want to see your version of the classic enchanted tales of your youth. We're looking for classic characters, morality plays, and maybe even some weird gruesome endings you never seem to remember because why on earth would they put that in a story for kids? Now, you just need to know the rules:

• Watch your copyrights. Yeah, the fairytale versions of Snow White & the Seven Dwarves, The Little Mermaid, or the Three Little Pigs might be fair use, but the Disney versions are not. Get creative!
  • Incidental text only. We're sure you can write a great fairy tale, but we're more interested in your artistic depiction of one.
  • No Star Wars.

And of course, be sure to try and guess our MYSTERY ICON! We're thinking of a specific design element - a person, a place, a thing, an idea. The first contestant to use this Mystery Icon in an entry for this Derby will receive a Woot! screaming monkey, whether they like it or not.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Sounds fun. I like it!

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Yay! I love it!

bluejester

quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester

This sounds like it could be all sorts of awesome. Glad I don't work until 3pm today, I look forward to people's pre-derby ideas.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

I'm hoping for some gruesome Grimm's entries...

bluejester

SkekTek wrote:I'm hoping for some gruesome Grimm's entries...

I'm expecting some Draxx & Crescent Debris goodness out of this one.

Westlyftw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Westlyftw

Sounds draktastic! Seriously looking forward to his entry this week with this theme.

Westlyftw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Westlyftw
bluejester wrote:I'm expecting some Draxx & Crescent Debris goodness out of this one.

And yes, with CD's colors!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

bluejester wrote:I'm expecting some Draxx & Crescent Debris goodness out of this one.

+1

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd

"...Into the woods
It's time, and so
I must begin my journey."

Great theme, and I might even have an idea!

naeylonsidhe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages naeylonsidhe

It's times like this I wish I had more artistic talent. I would love to see one of the Shoemaker's Elves. But people rarely remember it.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d

Yummy! So many to choose fron!

I'm doing Mother Goose reading to goslings and the Ugly Duckling (Imposter-style), and if I have time, Puss in Boots or the 3 little pigs.

Gotta get crackin'!
Seeya in the Derby!
BlindDog3D

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I'm imagining a JewelWing creation of Diamonds and Toads

purplstarz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages purplstarz
naeylonsidhe wrote:I would love to see one of the Shoemaker's Elves.

That really is a great story!

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari

Aesop's Fables are fair game, then?

ochopika

Staff

oh oh! *raises hand* Can your design be based on a fairy tale with some kind of twist, or does it have to be completely true to a story?

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
tgentry wrote:+1

hey, travis, why don't you get out your pens and pixels and show us a little love...you've got juice, give us a daily please.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Misskari wrote:Aesop's Fables are fair game, then?

I'd like to know if fables are allowed as well. Thanks, staff!

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

bluejester

wootvan wrote:

Best Pre-Derby Taco Ever.

ochopika

Staff

Misskari wrote:Aesop's Fables are fair game, then?

They should make a whole separate derby for those.

bluejester

I was thinking that one of these days we're likely to see a No Tacos rule for the derby. It's likely going to read "Seriously guys, there are other foods out there."

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

I've got a busy weekend coming up, but I'm hoping someone will do the Seven Swans (or eleven, in some versions). Always was enchanted by that one, especially after reading a novelized version.

mariak37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mariak37

This would be a great derby for this: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=45031

Ah well...good luck everyone!

Maria

drinkingthesea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drinkingthesea

Please somebody do "The Twelve Dancing Princesses" It is my absolute Favorite.

And Bluebeard - gruesome!!

"Oh, for a horse with wings!!"

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Yeah, I think fables and Fairy stories are quite different. Although I mostly base that on the general lack of gold weaving goblins and fantasy stuff in fables.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
paigeg wrote:I've got a busy weekend coming up, but I'm hoping someone will do the Seven Swans (or eleven, in some versions). Always was enchanted by that one, especially after reading a novelized version.

a-swimming?

I'm completely uninspired at the moment, which may not be the worst thing ever -- let me work on some other stuff -- but I think I'll do a little research.

zwartepaard

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zwartepaard

I think I'm going with The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse, but I'm not sure in which manner I want to depict the two of them meeting. My two ideas are to have one mouse from the city with a cell phone, fashionable clothes, etc. and a country mouse with a hat and overalls. Basically a literal interpretation with anthropomorphic mice.

The other is to have a "regular" mouse meeting a computer (city) mouse. I'm not sure which idea I like better, so feel free to sway my decision either direction.

djtheatre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djtheatre

I'm so glad I have a little bit of time to submit this week.

I was thinking of the Ugly Duckling with a twilight-zone twist, think beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
ochopika wrote:oh oh! *raises hand* Can your design be based on a fairy tale with some kind of twist, or does it have to be completely true to a story?

Where would the fun in that be? I sure hope we can twist it.

Nothing follows.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
clarinerd wrote:"...Into the woods
It's time, and so
I must begin my journey."

Great theme, and I might even have an idea!

Almost gmv just for the Sondheim quote.

pokethedeadkat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pokethedeadkat

Oh my. I'm excited for this one.
I already did "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" for the 4 derby, but I've got more up my sleeve. Working on one for "The Six Swans" now.

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz
wootvan wrote:hey, travis, why don't you get out your pens and pixels and show us a little love...you've got juice, give us a daily please.

I've been hoping for the same thing. Really miss your designs. Pretty please?

squarerootofpi

quality posts: 8 Private Messages squarerootofpi
zwartepaard wrote:I think I'm going with The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse, but I'm not sure in which manner I want to depict the two of them meeting. My two ideas are to have one mouse from the city with a cell phone, fashionable clothes, etc. and a country mouse with a hat and overalls. Basically a literal interpretation with anthropomorphic mice.

The other is to have a "regular" mouse meeting a computer (city) mouse. I'm not sure which idea I like better, so feel free to sway my decision either direction.

I love the idea of a regular mouse meeting a computer mouse.

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness

Oh man I can barely wait for tomorrow, this theme has me fidgeting with excitement, show us your sketches, artists!

My one selfish hope is that there is at least one ode to the original Beauty and the Beast. Eee.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

For people needing inspiration, I found this:

http://ivyjoy.com/fables/

I personally like the a** in the lion's skin

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 217 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Here's a rough idea. A vitruvian gingerbreadman.

He's twice as hard to catch. :^)

(the cracks in the gingerbread would suggest Da Vinci's anatomy lines, or at least some of them)

bluejester

I'll throw the ol' English B.A. perspective here into the "Fables and Fairytales" question (Got to use this degree somewhere, right?):

Fairy tales: As I've always learned it, fairy tales typical are just that, tales about fairies or mythical stories and realms. Included in that are things like the King Arthur stories, the Grimm brother's work, and writings by the likes of Hans Christian Anderson. Not exclusively them, but from that basis you can get the general drift that not only does it involve the fantastic happening, but these happenings can occur to anyone ranging from nobles to peasants. (Although typically there was an air of nobility, i.e. knights and kings and princess and such, involved in these stories. Again, this is just the way that I was taught.)

Fables: These can have fairies in them, and they do have fantastical elements to them, such as anthropormorphic animals or geese that lay golden eggs, there is always a moral or lesson behind them. To that the end, the one hearing the fable is supposed get a mini-life lesson from the story; such as be content with what you have in the Golden Goose fable or the slow work and steady pace of the turtle in the Tortise and the Hare is better than speed and cockiness of the aforementioned hare.

So, for example, I would expect a design that features princesses getting rescued, or a Rip Van Winkle tale would work as a fairy tale.

However, any designs about the tortise and the hare, or ugly ducklings, or frogs and oxen would likely be out.

What say Tgentry about this?

ochopika

Staff

Here is my "concept sketch". Its very rough, but this is the idea and general composition that I'm gonna try.

*that is if we can twist up the fairy tales a little

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

bluejester wrote:I'll throw the ol' English B.A. perspective here into the "Fables and Fairytales" question (Got to use this degree somewhere, right?):

We'll do a fable derby some other time. I'm sure there's some blurring of the line where fables and fairy tales meet up. For instance, ugly duckling is actually a fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson. Fairy tales generally have some kind of fantastic element to them while a fable might not. Tortoise and the Hare is right out. For god sakes no one do a rabbit racing a turtle shirt for a fairy tale derby.

So yeah, stay on the Fairy Tale side of things. If you think your idea might be a fable, ask around, do some research, post your defense along with the shirt. Still might get rejected 'cause we don't think it's a fairy tale, so be prepared for that too.