katrinabean86

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katrinabean86
Re: Hamelin TV

Lol perfect.

katrinabean86

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katrinabean86
Re: New Hero

I love this design. I like how the tail forms a guide for your eye from one side to the other and the little figure of the prince running away in the back is great. Hope you get some more votes

xtyw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xtyw
Re: 7 emoticons

I couldn't have named them off the top of my head, but the convenient illustration helped me work it out! [Tip: No. 6 is sneezing.]

StrayNostalgia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages StrayNostalgia
Re: Riches To Rags

Hey, this is a really clever design! Haha, love it. And I applaud the color selection, including a cream base.

I was sitting here browsing the derby, feeling crappy about my upcoming job layoff, and then I found this sucker and started laughing.

GMV, good luck

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

Wow, thanks everyone for the votes so far! It makes the pains of climbing the gigantic Mt.Katahdin a little better (that is what I did earlier this weekend instead of wooting). It even hurts to draw...I don't even know why.

Thanks again, very much appreciated!

aXio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aXio

I love it! I'm from Poland and this reminds me well with my childhood =)

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
blinddog3d wrote:They're here every minute of the day, waiting to love you or eat you alive. Tough crowd, too.

Good luck,
BlindDog3D

who are you and what have you done with BD3D?

move along

j5

Re: Pied Piper Pest Control

I hope they don't nail this one for text.

move along

j5

polluxoil wrote:However, Snow White herself looks funny to me. I can't pinpoint exactly why (possibly her choice of skin color makes her stand out against the muted clockwork) but it makes the design seem slightly off since she's the centerpiece.

It might be because she's not depicted as a waifish, naive, 16 year old fallen princess, but instead as a rubinesque, mature, dominatrix.
Kudos for the design, gents. I will be sad when the proletariat voters overlook this for something....less.

move along

wugsby

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wugsby
Re: The Toy Peddler

This is one of the best designs I've seen on Woot in a while! Whereas most shirts serve only to portray a visual punchline, this shirt portrays so much more with just one image. Masterfully done! I hope you stay around the shirt.woot derbies

GMV easily.

Jackemmenjaser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jackemmenjaser
tgentry wrote:And we could make the exact same argument and list similar quotes for Star Wars as mythology. People refer to it as American Mythology, Lucas drew directly from mythology just as Baum did fairy tales, it has familiar elements from mythology, and there have been exhibitions and books written about it as such. But we wouldn't (and didn't) want Star Wars in a mythology derby (or LOTR and similar 'modern mythologies') and we don't want Wizard of Oz in a Fairy Tale derby....

"In my review of A New Hope I called Star Wars "the quintessential American mythology," an American take on King Arthur, Tolkien, and the samurai / wuxia epics of the East, dressed in the space-opera trappings of Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon and festooned with a variety of nostalgic Hollywood influences — serial-adventure swashbuckling, WWII movie dogfights, movie-Need more history channel. villains, saloon shootouts."

"Lucas has been described as the first mass media mythologist. His inspiration for these mythical themes originated from a personal friendship with the late Joseph Campbell, perhaps the best-known expert in the field."

""Star Wars: The Magic of Myth" was on display at the National Air and Space Museum from October 31, 1997 to January 31, 1999. This online tour represents the exhibition as it was originally displayed at the National Air and Space Museum."

"Lucas had already written two drafts of Star Wars when he rediscovered Joseph Campbell's The Hero With a Thousand Faces in 1975 (having read it years before in college). This blueprint for "The Hero's Journey" gave Lucas the focus he needed to draw his sprawling imaginary universe into a single story."

Star Wars: The New Myth

Star Wars: The Power of Myth

And about a thousand other pages and books. We understand that people can consider Wizard of Oz an American fairy tale. For the purposes of this derby we don't, just like we accept that some people consider Star Wars to be American mythology, but we still don't want it in a mythology derby. Likewise we wouldn't want Pan's Labyrinth or Stardust references in this derby even though they could be considered modern fairy tales. Hopefully this is clear, I think we feel comfortable with this decision, however had we had the foresight to know someone would use the Wizard of Oz we might have known to included it in the "do not use" list. Hindsight is 20/20, so lesson learned on our part.

Negative on where George Lucas got the idea for Star Wars. It was actually a direct interpretation of Carl Jung's ideas on The Archetypes and Collective Unconscious.

This isn't really an argument for either side (Though I do feel Woot has its head up its own ass on this one), I just like to point out that Star Wars is not original whenever I get the chance. It's just another stolen idea that made it farther than the original. (Read: George Lucas was Steve Jobs before Steve Jobs was Steve Jobs)

wugsby

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wugsby
Re: through the woods

Awesome use of depth!

andreasz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andreasz
Re: This Bridge is Highly Suspect

It's just AWESOME

DoublEE

quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE
tgentry wrote:I can find definitions that fit our argument as well:

A fairy tale is a type of short narrative that typically features such folkloric characters, such as fairies, goblins, elves, trolls, dwarves, giants or gnomes, and usually magic or enchantments. The Wizard of Oz does not apply to that definition.

The term mythology can refer to either the study of myths, or to a body of myths. Star Wars could apply.

The decision was not rash. We consulted on Friday on this one and on the Alice and Wonderland entry. In fact we took much more time in deliberating on this one. The call is that it's not what we're looking for in a fairy tale derby for the same reason Lord of the Rings or Star Wars is not what we're looking for in a mythology derby.

I;m done with this. As many have stated...you guys blew it.

kevito

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevito
Re: Ninja Red Riding Hood

Yes please!

flemtone

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flemtone
Re: Angry Wolf

Everything about this design just works. The bits of straw and sticks poking out of the wolf's fur, the exp;ressions on the pigs' faces, the shading, the shadows...

Excellent work and definitely fog-worthy. GMV

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Love the idea. Cool layout too, nice work guys. ^_^

dedl0ck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dedl0ck
Re: Red Revenge

I personally agree with most of the legs comments. They just appear to be a bit long. I understand that anime influence now and days, where the midsection is super tiny, but the legs are a bit meater,and longer then the correct anatomy (My thighs are not longer than my mid-section, but I am 5'5"). Either way, I find I don't appreciate the type of skirt you chose or it's length. It distracts me. It looks to be a just me thing- but I personally don't want my shirts to show more skin then I would. As a mens shirt it'll probably do great. I love the wolf, and it's design. The entire concept is good, but I don't think I'd buy it all in all considering.

dedl0ck

Re: The Buried Moon

I liked the colors you used for both the design and the shirt color. And they go well together. I like the idea of the hands holding open a book, but I don't think I would've understood the concept without the title. One thing I've been working on is trying to make concepts clearer so when someones out and about, a person can see it, and be able to get the original idea straight off. I've recently been reading the discussion blogs and I've seen some people post there their sketches of their ideas, and the group communicates which one they like best. I'm planning on doing it from now on, and if you're new I think you'll benefit from it too. Good luck!

dedl0ck

Re: Just a little closer...

I have to say, this is my favorite red riding hood of the derby. It's funny, and clever. I like the sepia colors you used as well. Definately a +1 onto the the vote count.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

Lol! GREAT idea. NIcely done, sirs.

paigeg

Re: The Nightingale's Song

The olive blanks are much closer to what's in the comp, and NOT what's on the tee mockup - definitely not that dull. This should print fine. And it should print. Lovely!

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness

Hah! The prince made me laugh.

paigeg

Re: FIRE

You all do see the deer, no? I think the artist was honestly referring to Bambi, and didn't just shoehorn this. Of course, I've been wrong before. It is a novel/film though, and not a fairy tale per se. But then, neither is Alice in Wonderland. The rejectionator is definitely having some agida this week.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
paigeg wrote:You all do see the deer, no? I think the artist was honestly referring to Bambi, and didn't just shoehorn this. Of course, I've been wrong before. It is a novel/film though, and not a fairy tale per se. But then, neither is Alice in Wonderland. The rejectionator is definitely having some agida this week.

That was my point, that Bambi should fall in the same category as The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland....

Since that has been cause for rejection on a couple of shirts, it should be cause for them all to go... it certainly isn't fair to allow some shirts based on those titles to stand....

I like this submission and I hate to see it go.... Bambi just doesn't say "fairy tale" to me. It's just a matter of equally enforcing standards.

There is at least one or two other "Alice" shirts that need to meet the same fate.

Nothing follows.

j5

taternuggets wrote:That was my point, that Bambi should fall in the same category as The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland....

Since that has been cause for rejection on a couple of shirts, it should be cause for them all to go... it certainly isn't fair to allow some shirts based on those titles to stand....

I like this submission and I hate to see it go.... Bambi just doesn't say "fairy tale" to me. It's just a matter of equally enforcing standards.

There is at least one or two other "Alice" shirts that need to meet the same fate.

I concur. Maybe the weekend rejectionator relies more on tattles than the day-shift beat walkers .

move along

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
j5 wrote:I concur. Maybe the weekend rejectionator relies more on tattles than the day-shift beat walkers .

This is absolutely true. The weekends can be a bit of a free for all out there.... And understandably so, shirtwoot deserves their days off just like anyone else.

Nothing follows.

DoublEE

quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE
Jackemmenjaser wrote:Negative on where George Lucas got the idea for Star Wars. It was actually a direct interpretation of Carl Jung's ideas on The Archetypes and Collective Unconscious.

This isn't really an argument for either side (Though I do feel Woot has its head up its own ass on this one), I just like to point out that Star Wars is not original whenever I get the chance. It's just another stolen idea that made it farther than the original. (Read: George Lucas was Steve Jobs before Steve Jobs was Steve Jobs)

Somewhere L.Frank Baum is spinning is his grave.

Here's the Introduction to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz word for word:

Introduction

Folklore, legends, myths and fairy tales have followed childhood through the ages, for every healthy youngster has a wholesome and instinctive love for stories fantastic, marvelous and manifestly unreal. The winged fairies of Grimm and Andersen have brought more happiness to childish hearts than all other human creations.

Yet the old time fairy tale, having served for generations, may now be classed as "historical" in the children's library; for the time has come for a series of newer "wonder tales" in which the stereotyped genie, dwarf and fairy are eliminated, together with all the horrible and blood-curdling incidents devised by their authors to point a fearsome moral to each tale. Modern education includes morality; therefore the modern child seeks only entertainment in its wonder tales and gladly dispenses with all disagreeable incident.

Having this thought in mind, the story of "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" was written solely to please children of today. It aspires to being a modernized fairy tale, in which the wonderment and joy are retained and the heartaches and nightmares are left out.

L. Frank Baum

Chicago, April, 1900.

I guess woot doesn't want modern fairy tales. It may have been a good idea to state this in the rules.

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom

I love it. What an adorable dragon, and nicely practical-minded too. "Look, mister, I can REACH her and you can't, so what's your problem?"

smcallister

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smcallister
Re: On Being Prepared

Nicely done Waffles. I hope to see more.

joshuaelander

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuaelander

Nice work Ramyb, reminds me of a mix between kill bill and cammy from streetfighter meets RRH.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: A Clockwork Fairy Tale

Some of your very best work, team!

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: Lil' Red Belt

I know this is a more simple design than usual, for me, but that's what I was going for. This doesn't have the lavish halftone work, but I did most of it in Illustrator9 (I'm not as fluent as I am in Photoshop). I'm not proud, but I am very pleased.

I didn't have the time, this weekend, because of Jr. Olympics but I think this will sell in Judo circles. Girls doing Judo sell really well at tournaments. Gotta get back to work, see ya next time.
BlindDog3D

Here's some close ups.

blinddog3d

j5 wrote:who are you and what have you done with BD3D?

Just being nice to the newbies, J5.
BD3D

blinddog3d

Re: A Clockwork Fairy Tale

I'm not worthy to vote, but I did! You ARE the Masters of Sique lines and dots! Wow!

BADASSx100!
BlindDog3D

blinddog3d

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=55106]

I can't understand why this isn't getting HUGE LOVE?!?!

The lighting and halftones are amazing, and the idea is transcendent.
Vote, people!!!
BD3D

r0ksana

quality posts: 8 Private Messages r0ksana
Re: Jack and the 8-Bit Beanstalk (Version 2)

What happened to version 1?

jackmando7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackmando7

I think this would make a good poster.

blinddog3d

Spiritgreen wrote:Love the idea. Cool layout too, nice work guys. ^_^

The idea was done, they just did it better/more woot-friendly. It has "Walmazan" painted all over it, what did Lagbert do? It certainly wasn't the concept.
BlindDog3D

Re: reduced to crumbs

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: FAIRY TALE FREE FOR ALL

I left the mystery icon picture at the office this weekend, so it's late going up, but congrats! You won this week's Mystery Icon monkey prize, and by a narrow margin as the very next entry also featured a giant. Make sure your address is up to date and we'll send you your very own annoying screaming woot monkey!