ladymcbeath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladymcbeath
Re: The beanstalk

Where's the harp and the goose?

Jackemmenjaser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jackemmenjaser
bpr2 wrote:ffs, she gets knocked out, and she DREAMS about being in OZ and in the end she WAKES UP and realizes THAT SHE WAS DREAMING.

Again. Dreams ≠ fairytales.

So you're saying that a plot device negates it's story? Inception = 2 and 1/2 hours of blank screen?

bigaislestyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigaislestyle
blinddog3d wrote:I don't see any of your wonderful story or Japanese style in your design. I think you're full of smoke and mirrors... and cats. Your title makes you appear to be a hack. I don't get it, but it feels like you're trying to shove your design in a derby it doesn't belong. But I could be wrong, I'm almost blind.

Good luck.
BlindDog3D

Not trying to shove anything anywhere, but evryone is entitled to their own thoughts. Presto! Thanks for the best wishes. Woot woot!

doughjoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages doughjoy

wow.
SO original. Love it enough to post a comment

=)

doughjoy

This shirt isn't a want.

It's a need.

+1

=)

doughjoy

This reminds me of the college days: trying to get girls and eating late night "dinners" of cup o' noodle.

=)

rjlouise

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjlouise
moosepod wrote:WOOT! How is this off topic? The Cheshire Cat is from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, which is a fairy tale according to the source that you said you would visit first: Wikipedia.

Please see below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fairy_tales

I do know from other "rejects" that woot! is taking a VERY hard line on this derby: faerie tales, not fables (as in Aesop's Tortoise and the Hare), not legends (like Bigfoot and Robin Hood), not novels. They're sticking straight to faerie tales that have been collected from local culture, don't have an overtly stated morals, probably were put in a compendium by some insufferable academics turned heroes (I'm looking at you, Grimms!), and definitely not tales made up in the last couple centuries. They want tales with *history*, thank you!
At least, that's what I can figure (and, I'll admit, part of me agrees with that hard line). Sorry you got rejected. I'm sure the time'll come when you can use this. It's a really nice effect, the purple so close to black that it looks like the Cheshire Cat is disappearing into the shirt. I also lime the eyes, they're pretty darn captivating. Good luck next time!

Ramble over.

mverc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mverc

Goldilocks and her Three Companions, ridding a land far far away of Goblins, Trolls, and Witches.

6 colors on slate.

scidan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scidan
Re: Red Revenge

Great, but the legs kinda not realistic..(like plastic legs)

uncleregis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uncleregis
bpr2 wrote:ffs, she gets knocked out, and she DREAMS about being in OZ and in the end she WAKES UP and realizes THAT SHE WAS DREAMING.

Again. Dreams ≠ fairytales.

Ignorance ≠ fact

You do realize the Wizard of OZ movie is based on the Wonderful Wizard of Oz story, right? Obviously not. Let me enlighten you... Dorothy's time in Oz did in fact happen in the story. Dorothy even goes back to visit Oz in subsequent Oz books.

I realize watching movies is faster than reading books but I highly recommend it... especially before commenting on what happens in the story.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=55138]Castle

I like your colors. Two things tho - you need ot fix your thumbnail (detail) image - it's not displaying on the screen. And, without a larger image to see, I'm going to take a guess that you have gradients making up that glow and the moon. Woot's rejectionator will get you for that. Check the submission guidelines. You'll need to convert them to halftones.

paigeg

Re: Goldilocks

I appreciate the idea, sortof. At least the modern take on the tale. But I'm not down with Goldi offing endangered species. Just a shade on the blatantly bloody side for me.

paigeg

seedsofsedition wrote:I kept trying to work on my other submission's re-sub and getting frustrated so I started wondering about sea-hares (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sea-Hare). What do they look like? What if one immigrated to america? What if it fell in love with a jackalope? etc

The design, specifically the color choices, seems off. Any helpful critiques would be appreciated.

Sadly, I can't access your larger file from here (damned site filters!). But as to the color choices - it all looks OK except for the Sea Hare itself. I'm not familiar with the critters (apparently they're mollusks), but if you want to represent it as an actual hare, maybe a blue-grey would convey both hare and sea, and pop better against the shirt. Then if you still have colors left, use a bit of blue or blue-green to set off the waves... Just a suggestion.

paigeg

Re: Missed Curfew

At the end of the day, this is one of the funniest concepts subbed. I'll agree the execution could use some work, and I know, being Queen of Messy Lines. Still think it'd get a good chuckle if I wore it...

2handcatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2handcatch
Re: 3 Billy Goats Grunge

you rebel,
good job!!!

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
paigeg wrote:At the end of the day, this is one of the funniest concepts subbed. I'll agree the execution could use some work, and I know, being Queen of Messy Lines. Still think it'd get a good chuckle if I wore it...

Thanks! Those messy lines will be the death of me... as I will tell myself each week, "make nice lines, all the good artists out there are making nice lines.... how hard could it be... just make them nice and neat.... "

Well, it turns out it's pretty damned hard.

I appreciate all the comments on this one.

Nothing follows.

dedl0ck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dedl0ck
melfox86 wrote: the legs/skirt/shoes are where you lose me. I love kick-butt girl shirts, (example of the best one I've ever seen
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=52891 but this one is too sexualized. Put less emphasis on the legs and high heels, and more on the sword and cloak, and you GMV.

I agree- Girls who kick-butt are awesome, I'm more likely to buy then versus a girl who's focus is on her legs.

grisca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grisca
uncleregis wrote:So the main reason this was rejected is because Star Wars isn't a myth? Did I understand that correctly?

The reason why this was rejected is this (if I understood right):
They wanted a derby based on the traditional fairy tales (as in short narrative) with the traditional role schemes.

Though some sources may call "The Whizard of Oz" a fairy tale (different countries seem to be of different opinions as to if it is or not a fairy tale), it is novel length and not the same style as typical fairy tales of old.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
2handcatch wrote:you rebel,
good job!!!

Ha! Thanks!

hdlibra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hdlibra
kentbauer wrote:I have the same question???

"The Toy Peddler" is a fairy tale told to me by my grandmother from Yugoslavia (now Macedonia). Without getting too wordy, it begins when a young boy is sent by his mother to go to town to fetch some bread and cheese. On his way, he comes across a mysterious old man with a sack full of toys. The peddler offers him something from his sack of toys, the boy's greed gives in, and uses the food money for his own wants. Of course, it is a trap and is taken by the man. Skip a few pages, and the boy must escape the clutches of the Toy Peddler much like Hansel and Gretel, Vasisilla from Baba Yaga, etc.

Thank you, Hiortdahl, I didn't know that story went as far back as the Middle Ages, or the connection of Santa Claus! Of course, after thinking about it I can see the relationship of the magical men with a sack full of toys!

garaux

quality posts: 5 Private Messages garaux
Re: Missed Curfew

I think this design propagates an agenda of violence against pumpkins, mice and fairy tales. GMV.

hdlibra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hdlibra
jerkbait83 wrote:I never heard of Baba Yaga but it reminds me of my daughters play for Bony Legs. Awesome shirt!

Yes, sometimes Baba Yaga is known as "Boney Legs" because no matter how much she eats, she stays boney and skeleton-like. Sometimes Russian fairy tales depict her as a good witch, but I prefer those where she's scary. She lives in a hut which roams the forest on chicken legs, searching for naughty children to eat. When the hut perches, a fence of bones rises from the ground and encircles it. She also travels perched in a large mortar with her knees almost touching her chin, and pushes herself across the forest floor with a pestle... and she can fly in this manner, too!

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: Once Upon A Time

the composition on this is soo great. love the details and the style. gmv!

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: The Nightingale's Song

beautiful details and LOVE how the background pattern fades into the shirt. gmv

fluchtpunkt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fluchtpunkt

That nose job definitely was a fail. She should sue the surgeon.

mistressofpez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mistressofpez
Re: Alice and Queen of hearts

Is Alice in Wonderland a Fairy Tale? It was written in 1865, by Lewis Carrol.

I like the artwork. Cute with a bit of scary.

2handcatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2handcatch
Re: i collect fairies

if not nailed up and dead i would of voted.
but good art.

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
Re: New Hero

Oh, my daughter would LOVE this! She loves dragons and thinks they should be the heros in every story. Wonderfully done!

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
2handcatch wrote:if not nailed up and dead i would of voted.
but good art.

If not nailed up and dead, it wouldn't be the same shirt by any stretch.

move along

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
j5 wrote:If not nailed up and dead, it wouldn't be the same shirt by any stretch.

Perhaps they wanted "nailed up but still alive."

Nothing follows.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: Swan Brothers

We need more like this, please.
+1

move along

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
Re: Can't sleep

I love the socks.

TedW

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TedW

fluchtpunkt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fluchtpunkt
Re: ferngawee

Looks like a girl with butterfly wings, of some sort?

pokethedeadkat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pokethedeadkat
Re: Little Red-san

This is great. I'd say the best take on Red Riding Hood in the whole derby.

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
Re: The Toy Peddler

This is so amazing!

snakexyz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snakexyz
Re: The Ugly Duckling

I see this as backwards...the swan, inside the duckling, is waiting to emerge.

kerrylea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kerrylea

my, how light & happy i would feel if i were wearing this! maybe i would wear it with red shoes....

ciarraighli

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
Eriebadfish wrote:Grow up! People still believe in that whole God/Satan story that has been floating around for years? Its 2011. Time to get over it already.

hyuk, that's no any way to change their minds, that will only enflame them! :P

The points I would make are.

1. It's not a pentagram, it's not upside down, it's not even a complete star.

2. Pentagrams don't always mean Satan anyway, the symbol is well represented in other things throughout fiction and history.

3. Even when a pentagram IS a pentagram meant to invoke evil it's often slightly badass tongue in cheek, ala a metal tee shirt or horror movie cover.

Nobody is going to think you are a satanist by wearing this shirt, not normal people anyway. Lighten up.

adamant628

quality posts: 8 Private Messages adamant628
Travisdoesmath wrote:This is just tremendously good. Bravo.

Cool shirt, I've voted for it.

What does it mean that it's 'in the fog'? (I realize that I can't see the vote count, but why do they do that?)