DoublEE

quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE
uncleregis wrote:Ignorance ≠ fact

You do realize the Wizard of OZ movie is based on the Wonderful Wizard of Oz story, right? Obviously not. Let me enlighten you... Dorothy's time in Oz did in fact happen in the story. Dorothy even goes back to visit Oz in subsequent Oz books.

I realize watching movies is faster than reading books but I highly recommend it... especially before commenting on what happens in the story.

+1

mverc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mverc
Re: A Clockwork Fairy Tale

Wish more of your stuff would print...still want Sacrifice bad.

patchmyshirt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patchmyshirt

This time the goats gruff call on "the crime dog" to take a bite out of...

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Poor Jack

Does this make him Jack Splatt?

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Intervention!

Well, dammit OK! I'll keep voting for the bloody thing until it sticks...

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Cabin Fever Tale

Thanks to everyone that has voted so far. The more designs I summit, the more I learn. This once seems to be one of those not-everybody-gets-it designs, as the previous one I submitted, but hey, it kept me busy ;)

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
Re: through the woods

Really nice , love the colors! +1

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari
Re: Once Upon A Time

Whaaaat? Why isn't this in the fog yet? Go go go go gooo!

jubileejune

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jubileejune
seedsofsedition wrote:It is always best to separate colors in layers while you are working rather then retroactively doing it. When I'm working I usually have about 30 layers going if not more (all set to transparent base). When you get close to completion you can just merge all the ones that contain the same color. Lemme know if you have some specific questions.

Yes, after making my piece I figured that would be best way is to work each color into a separate layer while going along.

I do have specific questions and am really grateful for the help.

I am mostly confused about the spot colors. I understand the concept and reason for spot colors in the printing process but am confused how you set only six spot colors for an entire piece, which is one of the derby rules.

I think for this piece I had something like 25 Pantone colors. Researching online and looking at various tutorials, I could never figure out if each of those Pantone colors represents its own spot color, in which case I would have way too many colors, or if I was to somehow simplify my many Pantone colors into six spot colors (and if that was the case, I never uncovered the process of doing that).

In short, I just don't know how to set spot colors, especially with a piece where you have a lot going on color-wise.

Doing my first piece, I realized I don't know as much as I need to about digital drawing. I spent quite a bit of time looking for a good book on the subject but so far I have only found books on digital painting, and while that can create beautiful results, I cannot imagine the difficulty in setting colors with that many brush strokes!

So, I have both PhotoShop and Illustrator and am just looking for any kind of a guide on getting better at creating a piece for shirt printing. If I can do that with digital painting then I have plenty of books to choose from, but if not, then do you know of any good books on the subject? Will getting the basic PhotoShop and/or Illustrator guide be good enough?

I really appreciate whatever help you can give me and especially your time in just reading my post!

sernefarian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sernefarian
Re: Red Revenge

This shirt is freaking EPIC! I totally want one! It had better win.

edendreams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edendreams
Re: Dread Riding Hood V2

SO CUTE!

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Re: PO'd Pea

Yeah, I can tell this was eleventh hour, yoursubmissions are usually more polished than this. I think it's because each element seems to be a different style from the others - the princess, the bed, and the pea - and so that gives it a less cohesive feel. I like the idea of the pea being all pissed at the princess for sitting on him!

(Also, your pea does look an awful lot like a male version of the green M&M, perhaps using a different color for the arms would help? Like green arms and hands?)

runnerfrog13

Re: Red Rides With a HOOD!!!

Great detail on the metal parts of that car! I've always struggled to make things look like metal.

runnerfrog13

paigeg wrote:I appreciate the idea, sortof. At least the modern take on the tale. But I'm not down with Goldi offing endangered species. Just a shade on the blatantly bloody side for me.

I think from the description Goldi was supposed to be killing witches and other fantasy creatures, not the bears.

However... it does look like she's killing bears.

runnerfrog13

Re: Don't go into the woods Resub

I wish I had looked at this sooner, the hidden characters really make this design amazing! I especially love the pigs running, their ears folded back really convey that well. Good call on the more realistic wolf too.

One suggestion would be to make the outline around each character a little bit thicker, so they stood out more from a distance without someone having to walk up really close and stare at my chest to see them... I know it takes away a little bit from the "hidden pictures" nature, but it could be worth it. I just worry about them blending in too much with that really thin line.

runnerfrog13

Re: Once Upon A Time

This design is incredible! So much detail, and I love how you incorporated quite a number of fairy tales in there. The owl's face is excellent.

Welcome to shirt.woot ~ I look forward to watching for more entries like these ;)

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Follower of the Cape

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • It was you who picked the pieces up when I was a broken soul and then glued me back together; returned to me what
    others stole.

thatrobert

Re: 3 Billy Goats Grunge

• This is not SPAM.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • It was you who picked the pieces up when I was a broken soul and then glued me back together; returned to me what
    others stole.

thatrobert

Re: Anti Apple

• This is not SPAM.
    others stole.

mrsbigeddi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrsbigeddi
Re: Der Mond

I like the face on the left side of the moon. He looks happy to go for a ride.

uncleregis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uncleregis
grisca wrote:The reason why this was rejected is this (if I understood right):
They wanted a derby based on the traditional fairy tales (as in short narrative) with the traditional role schemes.

Though some sources may call "The Whizard of Oz" a fairy tale (different countries seem to be of different opinions as to if it is or not a fairy tale), it is novel length and not the same style as typical fairy tales of old.

Yeah, I was just kidding around. It seemed to me that they couldn't explain why the Wonderful Wizard of Oz was not a fairy tale without explaining how Star Wars was not a myth. I mean EVERY time. It made me chuckle.

It would have been nice if they specifically said 'only classic fairy tales' but they didn't. Live and learn. Hopefully the artist can resubmit this in a future derby and then be rejected b/c of incidental text ;)

runnerfrog13

blinddog3d wrote:It's a little busy to be that dark.

That could just be your monitor (or perhaps mine?) because it doesn't look very dark at all to me.

paigeg wrote:BTW, what BlindDog meant was to ID the ink colors - I see black, white and a couple of grays.

I see black white, and only one gray, and the shirt color. But now that you mention it, the full-composition view does seem to have a texture to it... I guess I assumed that was intended to be the shirt texture, but perhaps not? At any rate, he'd still be within the color limits at 4.

marcyd1223

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marcyd1223
Re: The House of Baba Yaga

+1, love it!

runnerfrog13

Re: you know what they say about big feet

Wouldn't the yeti (or bigfoot) be considered a fable or myth instead of a fairytale? Maybe I just don't know any stories with them as subjects

noisdois

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noisdois

This is awesome. It's hard for me to get those top-down views to look right. I think you performed it here admirably.

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
zerobriant wrote:Wow how many colors did you use with that one? :D

Six. The lines are the shirt showing through.

joshuaelander wrote:Was this design influenced by the movie mirrormask by any chance?

Drakxxx drew it but I doubt it. I saw the movie once but it never crossed my mind. My influence was actually one of our previous entries "Equinox" in terms of quality and colors.

cmdixon2 wrote:Incredible detail, guys! Can we get this made into a shirt AND a movie?

Thanks. That would be pretty badass.

mverc wrote:Wish more of your stuff would print...still want Sacrifice bad.

Yeah, I was pretty bummed that one didn't make it. Maybe somewhere else will like it.

marcyd1223

Re: through the woods

awesome, GMV!

marcyd1223

Re: Seven Ravens

I like that this is different & stands out, +1!

marcyd1223

Re: The Golden Fish

Love your style & love that this stands out, +1 GMV!!!

molslagel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages molslagel

I love it! The dragon is great and the little prince running away is hilarious. I would definitely buy this shirt!

ashes998

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashes998
Re: Dread Riding Hood V2

So cute!

mverc

Re: the PROBLEM with trolls

Suprised this isn't doing better. Nice clean lines and shading. +1

mverc

Re: nom nom three little bacon bits

Have to vote for bacon. You should download the new woot template, it really looks alot better. Just a suggestion. +1

lilygrapetree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilygrapetree
Re: The Buried Moon, Take TWO

Okay, so I thought I'd try my hand at it again, this time to practice my colours and crayons. (and to see if it would pass muster; muster being rejection)
Again any comments, pointers most welcome. Thanks.

lilygrapetree

Sorry I should have said as well, it's based on an old english fairytale about the moon who one night wanders the grimey bogs only to become trapped and at the mercy of the wicked things that live there.

The buried moon.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/meft/meft24.htm

dedl0ck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dedl0ck

I think this is an AMAZING improvement- SURE GMV!! +1!!!

lilygrapetree

dedl0ck wrote:I think this is an AMAZING improvement- SURE GMV!! +1!!!

Thank you, you have, hand on my heart, made my week :o)

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

This is quite good. +1 My only concern is that glow around the face, is that a gradient or a halftone? gradient will draw a rejection.

Looks very nice though.

Nothing follows.

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Puss in Boot

I really love it!

lilygrapetree

taternuggets wrote:This is quite good. +1 My only concern is that glow around the face, is that a gradient or a halftone? gradient will draw a rejection.

Looks very nice though.

Thank you! Tis a half tone aye, albeit admittedly doesn't look great here.
If I figure out how to post extra images here I'll show closer detail.
To be perfectly honest I'm not even 100% sure I did the half tones on the background correctly, but sure, as a first attempt I'm reasonably satisfied that I am at least on the right track. (Or at the very least, in the right station to start off from)

Thanks again, a mill :o)