2handcatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2handcatch
cdrewlow wrote:Ha! Thanks!

shame you don't have more votes!!!.

this shirt is everyone friendly, kid friendly, teenage friendly, female friendly, cranky friendly.... i was hoping to scarf up a couple shirts. (even if the band dont' sound so good)

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
taternuggets wrote:I wasn't singling you out.... just happened to land on your thread. I like your entry and you already got my vote.

I'm just afraid of what the derby could become if everyone starts doing it...

I know you weren't I figured you were just making a general statement. So it is not an issue.

I thought you had valid points so I just decided to respond. This could be a really good discussion topic in the forums.

Does animation on Detail images add anything to your entry?

If everyone starts using them will it eventually make the derby gallery look like the Vegas Strip with to much blinking and flashing animations?

What is everyone's thought on this?

clockworkbyrde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clockworkbyrde
Re: Dread Riding Hood V2

Maah, i wants to voootee for thiiiis!!!!! But i dont see the vote button>.>

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
Re: Hansel and Gretel visit the Cottage of Cheese (v2)

Resubbed to make the cottage look more cheese-like.

Took out the halftoning too because I am lazy.

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: The Juniper Tree

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • It was you who picked the pieces up when I was a broken soul and then glued me back together; returned to me what others stole.

thatrobert

Re: Little Red-san

• This is not SPAM.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • It was you who picked the pieces up when I was a broken soul and then glued me back together; returned to me what others stole.

thatrobert

Re: The Nightingale's Song

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: Once Upon A Time

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: Swan Brothers

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: A Clockwork Fairy Tale

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: Why can't we be friends

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: The Toy Peddler

• This is not SPAM.

brushfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brushfire
jnorah wrote:Hey Man where is your entry I have been looking for it?? I saw you post your ideas, so what happened?

LOL there is no tweening. Just a simple frame animation.

I went to shirt.what and he removed it. For Pete's sake, I have no idea why! I loved it.
Brenda

Astronomer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Astronomer
Re: The House of Baba Yaga

Excellent interpretation. GMV.

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64
medbie wrote:I really like this design; simple and clear and lovely!

Thank you very much!

ladymcbeath wrote:Where's the harp and the goose?

I thought about having them but I thought things might be a little to cluttered.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Gotcha!

Thanks everyone!

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
jnorah wrote:

Does animation on Detail images add anything to your entry?

If everyone starts using them will it eventually make the derby gallery look like the Vegas Strip with to much blinking and flashing animations?

What is everyone's thought on this?

I don't think it does. The animations usually annoy me, and reduce the odds that I'll vote for something. If you want to animate something to put in your signature, fine, but leave the derby thumbnail static.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64
Re: The Juniper Tree

I never heard of the Juniper Tree before but this shirt is my favorite!

taternuggets

quality posts: 23 Private Messages taternuggets
Mavyn wrote:I don't think it does. The animations usually annoy me, and reduce the odds that I'll vote for something. If you want to animate something to put in your signature, fine, but leave the derby thumbnail static.

I support this. Go hog wild in your sig, but keep the thumbs static.

Nothing follows.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
taternuggets wrote:For the love of all things holy, don't!

There is nothing more annoying than the derby page looking like the Vegas strip. I personally am hoping for Woot to crack down on all of the animated thumbs.

Votes should be for t-shirt submissions.... not someone's grasp on After Effects.

Votes are never on shirt designs. If they were, Ramyb wouldn't win so many woots. Keep up, or get out of the way!

This is a "political popularity contest" for collectors and, in this venue, you need an edge.

Skillz are skillz and presentation is presentation. Everything helps, if it gets you noticed.

BlindDog3D

blinddog3d

jnorah wrote:Hey Man where is your entry I have been looking for it?? I saw you post your ideas, so what happened?

I didn't get to do the one I wanted, I went simple and clean. Nobody liked it. Everyone wanted my sique halftones and, I didn't have the time this week. I'm working a re-design on a dotcom and had to work security for the Judo Jr. Olympics in Dallas, this weekend.

It was a very Judo/Jujutsu specific design, and I think it was over some wooter's heads. Don"t worry, I'll be back!"
BlindDog

queenmob

quality posts: 8 Private Messages queenmob
thatrobert wrote:

• This is not SPAM.

Thanks!!!! :-D

illustration: www.jung-comics.com
shirts: www.jung-shirts.com

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow
thatrobert wrote:

• This is not SPAM.
  • It was you who picked the pieces up when I was a broken soul and then glued me back together; returned to me what
    others stole.

Thanks, thatrobert!

cdrewlow

zerobriant wrote:I have to listen to this band! :D
awesome design :D

Thanks! Right now they're just a pasture band, but I hear they might be cutting a demo soon...

stndsh0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stndsh0
moosepod wrote:I get that, but their staffer said that they'd refer to wikipedia. Wikipedia lists this as a fairy tale. I'd just like some clarification.

As would I. I love this design, it would be an instant buy for me.

cdrewlow

patchmyshirt wrote:Nice! I'd want one.

Thank you! I like your take on the 3 Billy Goats, too!

cdrewlow

2handcatch wrote:shame you don't have more votes!!!.

this shirt is everyone friendly, kid friendly, teenage friendly, female friendly, cranky friendly.... i was hoping to scarf up a couple shirts. (even if the band dont' sound so good)

Aaaw, you're too kind! Maybe someday I'll get there. .)

samanthastroud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samanthastroud
Re: The Emperor Rocks it

So sad this hasn't gotten more votes! I love the detail and especailly the people in background GMV!

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
clockworkbyrde wrote:Maah, i wants to voootee for thiiiis!!!!! But i dont see the vote button>.>

You can't vote until you've purchased an item from one of woot's sites.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

blinddog3d

Just my Opinion, but I don't think designs that make "The Fog of War" should get Best Loser Badges/Awards.

They have a chance of winning,Honorable mention, and printing. It should be reserved for those that come close but get no cigar. If you make the Fog, you got the cigar.

Kinda L-a-m-e!
BlindDog3D

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Awkward...

I had to give this one a vote!

blinddog3d

clockworkbyrde wrote:Maah, i wants to voootee for thiiiis!!!!! But i dont see the vote button>.>

You have to be a customer to vote, that means you have to have bought something from of the woots to vote.

bsrickman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsrickman

I love this one! Great design!!

Re: Dread Riding Hood V2

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
taternuggets wrote:Thanks! Those messy lines will be the death of me... as I will tell myself each week, "make nice lines, all the good artists out there are making nice lines.... how hard could it be... just make them nice and neat.... "

Well, it turns out it's pretty damned hard.

I appreciate all the comments on this one.

I really like the concept, but yeah, execution is killer. The absolutely most useful tutorial I ever found was omnitarian's on inking/linework in Inkscape (free version of Illustrator). The quality of my work changed so much after that, for example compare May the Force Be With You to The Grammarian. Not that I don't still have a long way to improve, but yeah. As for the time constraints, I have plenty of weeks I just can't get anything in (like this week), but partially because I've stopped submitting entries I didn't feel were finished enough. And even my most recent entry (from 2 derbies ago, ugh) was really late which certainly hurt it, it was a Sunday night/Monday morning entry and managed to get to 16th...who knows what would have happened if I could have finished it even Saturday.

Ok, enough of an essay all about amreli's work...my point is, linework in Inkscape! I still do most of my coloring in Photoshop (well, Photoshop Elements, which means sometimes I have to do halftones in GIMP) because it's easier and, I think, comes out better. Also, not sure what equipment you're using, but something like a Bamboo tablet actually makes a big difference, too. Oh, and if you haven't, read through all the links in tgentry's signature.

coffeegrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coffeegrace
Re: Longing

I will definitely be buying this if it's printed!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
blinddog3d wrote:I didn't get to do the one I wanted, I went simple and clean. Nobody liked it. Everyone wanted my sique halftones and, I didn't have the time this week.

It was a very Judo/Jujutsu specific design, and I think it was over some wooter's heads. Don"t worry, I'll be back!"
BlindDog

Yeah, you know it's not always about the halftones and lofty concepts. You have to either hit the right subject matter (cute/geek culture/anime/etc.) or go all out swirly-Q.
You came close with the mutt-sketeers, but it was still too obscure. Maybe anthro some food or something.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
j5 wrote:Yeah, you know it's not always about the halftones and lofty concepts. You have to either hit the right subject matter (cute/geek culture/anime/etc.) or go all out swirly-Q.
You came close with the mutt-sketeers, but it was still too obscure. Maybe anthro some food or something.

Speaking of food is food one of the most popular subjects for design here?

seedsofsedition

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seedsofsedition
jubileejune wrote:Yes, after making my piece I figured that would be best way is to work each color into a separate layer while going along.

I do have specific questions...

Spot colors:
The way I do this is when I make my halftones I put the sharpness all the way up and the brightness all the way down. What I'm left with when I zoom all the way in is very pixelated circles of black (and this is while working in a greatly oversized canvas).
Then you can either paintbucket fill (which I don't do because it sometimes leaves you with weird black edges) or you can edit:select color:black with a very high threshold; then create a new layer while still selected to the area that is black; then in that new layer use a very large brush with full sharpness (no fuzzy edges) to fill the selected area.

When you minimize your final design you will get blurring due to file compression but that doesn't matter, what matters is that your print ready file contains pure layers.

Setting colors with digital painting:
With digital painting (like in my "The seven ravens" submission this week) I use a very similar technique to the one stated above. Just move the Brightness all the way to black and then halftone and fill.

Digital drawing vs painting:
As far as guides go I'd have no idea. Like most other art forms the best teacher is practice.
Watching some videos or reading some book may be helpful but ultimately you need to just sink some time in and see what feels right for you.

I'd suggest doing some general research on vector based (illustrator) vs pixel based (photoshop) programs so you understand there basic functions and differences.
If you are using a newer version of Illustrator look up the live trace function, this can help you to translate your sketches into vector images more easily.
And of course everyone looks at tutorials for specific techniques but as far as familiarizing yourself with the medium it is really just that... another medium. tackle it like you would watercolors or pen and ink, use it lots.
I know that sucks but you are already off to a good start.

hope that helps, lemme know if I can clarify anything further.

oh and one more thing. If you are a fine artist moving to digital mediums like I am a digitizing tablet can really help you feel comfortable. Take a look at the waccom bamboo series. they are a good mix of quality and affordability.

And if you have a portfolio site I'd love to see it. It might also help me see what your style is and therefore what would help you most.

find me here: cas.lollworks.com

seedsofsedition

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seedsofsedition
ochopika wrote:You've got a nice, painterly style here. You are right that the colors need to pop more. What I would do is leave the halftones in the background as they look good there. Make the animals solid, with maybe parts of the highlights and shadows halftones.

The yellow in the background does look good, but you could play around with the color. There would be more contrast if it were closer to the shirt color, and the animals were a more contrasting color. The brown shirt is very dark and warm, so the highlights and shadows should be very cool (white or dark blue/green).

The highlights and shadows on the animals could also be amplified a bit. I try to make my lights and darks more bold than I think they should be, then when I'm done it usually looks better than I thought it would.

Here is one of my brown-shirt designs where the colors kinda worked (not that I'm a color master or anything, it's just the only example I can think of now): tree thing
Hope that is helpful and not too much text.

You're right, I have a tendency to want to halftone EVERYTHING and be too delicate with my details.
Might be time to go back over my color theory texts.

Thanks for giving me some fresh eyes on this. I really appreciate the constructive crit.

also I kinda love your shirts.

find me here: cas.lollworks.com

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
runnerfrog13 wrote:Yeah, I can tell this was eleventh hour, yoursubmissions are usually more polished than this. I think it's because each element seems to be a different style from the others - the princess, the bed, and the pea - and so that gives it a less cohesive feel. I like the idea of the pea being all pissed at the princess for sitting on him!

(Also, your pea does look an awful lot like a male version of the green M&M, perhaps using a different color for the arms would help? Like green arms and hands?)

Lol! I never even thought of the M&M. I was just thinking 'pea with buttcrack'. You know how peas have that little crease...?
Yeah, I was unhappy with the result of the original sketch, and still not happy with the final. I used hard lines for the bed and the pea, but free-handed the princess. I should have known better and freehanded the whole thing.