ccazabon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccazabon
Ryfiel wrote:To be fair almost none of these are pixelated enough.

They are all about 16-bit level or more. Only a very few are truly NES 8-bit level. Which IMHO is why almost everything should be rejected.

There are a group of 8-bit designs. The best one in the fog (as far as closest
to theme) is the book one. "Tunes Pup" is also a pretty nice Gameboy-style design.

Otherwise, yea it's a bit annoying

jhernz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhernz
Re: Tunes PUP

Pup needs your votes. Find him a new home and he'll be happy to share his headphones :-)

mutak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mutak

I like it, but i would like it even better if it were self-reflexive - ie the shirt in the inventory slot was a copy of this shirt. That raises design issues of too much of the same color, but i'm sure someone clever enough to make this could make it work.

snailtsunami

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snailtsunami

I love all three of your designs this derby, especially Super Effective: the cat looks and cats* like my cat.

Though I would be happy if the decoy shirt won, too. -- I just can't resist adorable cat images.

[edit -- I meant to say "acts". Cats cats cats cats cats CATS.]

vorteks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vorteks
Mavyn wrote:Giant squids interrupting dinner is mundane?

I guess I didn't know this because I don't live near an ocean?

I agree, this is off-topic.

petitefilou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petitefilou
one more instance of Ramy getting special privileges no one else in the derby gets.

Ha. I WISH it was just ramyb. After a couple of years the impression I've got is that Woot just doesn't seem to care at all, full stop. People just notice it most in ramyb

topfrog56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages topfrog56
Re: Huntin' in the back yard

Bored? Tired of listening to all that humming? Take 'em out 8-bit style!

oscaroni

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oscaroni
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=55669]Here Kitty Kitty! REDRAWN

Wow! Love the updates, slate is perfect, mouse is hysterical GMV

guitarhero88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guitarhero88
Re: 8-Bit is Dead

looks great but wheres the everyday mundane task?

samanthastroud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samanthastroud
Kyshak wrote:Dexter brings doughnuts...and he dismembers people...so maybe i should be wary of the guy who brings sweet confections!

hahahahaha!!!!

samanthastroud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samanthastroud
Re: Mmmmmmmmm Nachos!

Nachos are the world's most perfect food and if I could I would eat them every single day. Starting now. +1

tedgellar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tedgellar
Ryfiel wrote:You got my vote just because of the title.

this

rogerrogerroger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rogerrogerroger
blanked wrote:Why should it? Even with pages turning sprite animation the thickness of one side of the book sprite never changed in the games I remember with them in it.

amen!

rogerrogerroger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rogerrogerroger

thanks guys!

wanderlane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wanderlane
oscaroni wrote:Wow! Love the updates, slate is perfect, mouse is hysterical GMV

Thank you!

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
Re: Super Grocery Cashier!

You'll want to bag the meat separately so it doesn't bite the other items.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: watching time......

Look at some of the other entries and compare the presentation to yours, what's missing?

Put it on a Thirt template (you can download it at submissions) to show size and placement and resubmit it. They will reject this.

BlindDog3D

dylia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dylia
Re: 8-Bits a Dollar

I TOTALLY underestimated just how fiddly the $1 bill really is. It took for bloody ever to get it done, but better late than never I guess.

I hope you all enjoy it!

2 Bits...4 Bits...8 Bits a Dollar!

Kyshak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kyshak
petitefilou wrote:Ha. I WISH it was just ramyb. After a couple of years the impression I've got is that Woot just doesn't seem to care at all, full stop. People just notice it most in ramyb

yeah i came into this thinking that we would be able to push our skills and have some healthy competition...and honestly i wouldn't buy any of the shirts from this derby, including mine! its a little frustrating when you DO come up with a clever design and abide by the rules of the competition to only realize that it seems that unless you have a cat, bacon, or some other anthropomorphic food you really don't get votes.

no matter where ever you go...there you are. - Buckaroo Bonzai

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Thumbnail doesn't match the art...and I kind of doubt this was done without starting with a photo.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

mutak wrote:I like it, but i would like it even better if it were self-reflexive - ie the shirt in the inventory slot was a copy of this shirt. That raises design issues of too much of the same color, but i'm sure someone clever enough to make this could make it work.

Hey I'm clever enough to do that! I just don't want to intimidate all the other designers with my immense cleverness. Yea, that's it...

...but yes something self-referential would be clever. I love a good meta-shirt.

mopete27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mopete27

All of those stupid cat designs in the fog and not this one...smh

coffeeshop26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coffeeshop26
Re: Hip Knitter

i want this - not just because i have knit 2 of the items illustrated.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
Re: Finally! A good resume...

I don't know about a shirt, but I definitely want to turn in my next resume like this. Great Idea!

dylia

Re: 8 Bits a Dollar

Now with matching thumbnail & shirt comp!

elmosuperman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elmosuperman
Re: Office Hero

Well done, you get my vote!

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
coffeeshop26 wrote:i want this - not just because i have knit 2 of the items illustrated.

You too! :D I figured this would bring more of us out of the woodwork.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
BootsBoots wrote:Monkey Island! "Hmm... a rubber chicken with a pully in the middle. What possible use could that have?"

Best game ever. And best shirt in the derby, hands down. GMV for sure!

Jewdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jewdave
Re: Life Choices

This is AWESOME x 10^24

-------------------------------------
40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!
-------------------------------------

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: 8-Bit is Dead

This is so cool!

Adam7986

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Adam7986
rasabi wrote:Thank you for the support, everyone!

@nblottie - Glad you liked my other design! I love your current one, and congrats on the print!

@blinddog3d - Thanks for the kind words, sir. I'd be humbled to ruin a perfectly good shirt with my train-wreck signature.

@logicalcupcake - thank you, thank you

@Adam7986 - I appreciate the feedback, and I'm glad you bring up the 8-bit stuff because I tried to look into what sort of resolution to work in. I found 512x512 (which could be totally wrong, I didn't have a whole lot of luck here) and made the image at that resolution and blew it up to printable size by preserving the hard edges with PS. I went into the design thinking the "graphics" were going to be a lot more like mario 3 than 1 (1 being closer to what most people probably associate with the traditional 8-bit feel), so yes, there are some curves in there they didn't really use in first generation 8-bit games.

Here is a good link I glanced over for reference.

I'll shut up now. Good night everyone!

Ok so after looking at your source image, I'll admit your work and reference to 8-bit makes more sense to me. I can see more of where you are coming from design wise. I still think the letters are little sloppy, but I obsess about stuff like that.

I still feel like it is pushing the limit of 8-bit, meaning an 8-bit process couldn't produce the resolution, but I do appreciate the effort you put in the the design explanation. You didn't have to go into that and it shows character.

Got my vote for integrity.

garaux

quality posts: 5 Private Messages garaux
Re: Retro System Support

This would be perfect if the end of the cartridge being blown on had been drawn open. Still conveys the message, and still GMV, but my eyes are constantly drawn to the solid end that should be exposed.

Otherwise, great work!

colorofsilence

quality posts: 0 Private Messages colorofsilence

dancingruru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dancingruru
Re: Afternoon stroll through the park

where's the Holy Hand Grenade option?

AllyRX7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AllyRX7
Re: Life Choices

EDDIE! In for 2 if this prints!!

skippykj

quality posts: 16 Private Messages skippykj
tonythai1981 wrote:Seriously, if this design doesn't win I'm gonna get myself one made at the cotton gallery for 20 bucks.

Sign me up for one as well. Also it would be cool on a hoodie.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Pac-it-in-man

That looks like a bowl of cereal, so...

Make sure your address is up to date and you'll receive your very own annoying Woot screaming monkey!

stevegarner05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevegarner05
Re: MowMan

Nice Work JEC! Love the design.

unionboggle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unionboggle

but....where's the mundane (everyday) task?

"taste the beast"

dylia

Mavyn wrote:Thumbnail doesn't match the art...and I kind of doubt this was done without starting with a photo.

The thumbnail was an excerpt from the art itself, but I did adjust & resubmit it.

I used a real dollar for reference, yes, but the work is all mine. I've done latch-hook & counted cross-stitch for years, & that's basically the approach I took to pixelating it. It isn't terribly complicated but does require precision & a LOT of patience.