elmosuperman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elmosuperman
Re: Press (A) or (B)

I always dig your stuff. Keep it up!

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
drpidude wrote:Shoot, I guess I misunderstood the derby. Oh well, I'll try again next time.

This derby was actually pretty hard to stay in-theme and still interesting. Many are easier. The pre-derby thread can be a good place to get clarifications and see what other people think the theme means.

A good rule of thumb for avoiding the Rejectionator, past "don't trace," is to keep cultural references indirect. A wad of cheese in a headband gets through. An actual ninja turtle doesn't. "Which cup do you want to poison?" gets through. A word-for-word quote doesn't.

Reinterpret, don't repeat.

endeszbet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages endeszbet
Re: Daily Toolbar

My first programming experience was with Hypercard! This shirt brings warm gooey nostalgia. :D

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
Re: Self Pixelating Hands Who Will Finish First!!!

Self Pixelating Escher Hands. OK this is it.

gement

taternuggets wrote:In most cases.

Now now. Even if He Who Must Not Be Named Lest He Draw Another Bunny got nailed for photo tracing, I'd stick with the same kinds of responses I've made previously, which is to ask that we get an actual month-or-longer ban policy for confirmed plagiarism.

I might go do a happy dance in my living room, but gloating isn't civil. I try to be civil online.

htfs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages htfs
Re: WORK WARP RESUB

The problem is, the joke loses meaning if it doesn't violate their rules. I don't think giving them copyright loopholes is what they're looking for by rejecting it.

Good luck, though. Good idea for a shirt.

damask16

quality posts: 1 Private Messages damask16
Re: Laundry is Life

I giggled waay more than I should have at this...

abisigna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abisigna
Re: Meanwhile, back in Scranton

Milton meets Dwight. I want this.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: The Legend of Pancakes

Yes! Moving back up in the ranks. Thanks for all the support, guys. Keep voting if you like it!

sunniraindrop

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sunniraindrop
Re: The Legend of Pancakes

If only it was waffles...

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
gement wrote:"Which cup do you want to poison?" gets through.

That one was a daily. Dailies have different rules than derbies (see various Star Wars, Zombie Mario, etc.)

move along

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
sunniraindrop wrote:If only it was waffles...

Waffles are just plaid pancakes. Vote for pancakes! :D

vorteks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vorteks
Re: Sonic Screwdriver is Super Effective!

Off topic. Dr. Who's life is not an everyday task.

gement

vorteks wrote:Off topic. Dr. Who's life is not an everyday task.

Fannish as I am, I gotta agree.

gement

Re: Sonic Screwdriver is Super Effective!

Congrats on 9x9px 6 color caricatures, though! That's a fine minimalist art.

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
staryoshi wrote:Would have been better to just have the hands / ingredients working IMO. The kid looks creepy. Also, it isn't really 8-bit... it's just been pixelated...

I thought 8-bit meant pixellated with only 8 colors?

kattotang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kattotang
Re: Life Choices

I hope this shirt gets made, because I MUST have it! <3

gement

runnerfrog13 wrote:I thought 8-bit meant pixellated with only 8 colors?

I Am Not An Expert and have a lot of questions of my own on this subject, but 8-bit refers to programs that ran on 8-bit hardware. In video games, this means anything published before 1987, when 16-bit came out and allowed for a lot more complexity.

I'm not sure how many colors all 8-bit systems could support, but the major graphic design factor was the screen definition.

The Apple IIe could support 280x192 in 6 colors (plus the black screen), so designing for it in a Woot shirt is kind of ideal. I'm not sure about the screen resolutions of the video games my peers were apparently playing while I was restricted to PBS and educational games.

tinofthefoil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tinofthefoil
mattlussier wrote:it's the latest rage!
whoever wins... we loose!

we sure do loose. you're grammer is well.

dylia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dylia
Re: Circle of (Modern) Life

Of course the last-minute brainworm of an idea wouldn't leave me alone until it got made.

Hey, we all fall into a rut from time to time. What better way to do it than in good ol' monochrome monitor style?

I hope you all enjoy it!

epicfal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicfal
Re: Saving for a rainy day

I really like the super bright colors against the black background.

epicfal

Re: Tunes PUP

Oh he is so cute. I would spend any day that I wore the shirt staring at it, probably. I second the comment that keeping the pixels seperate really ups the 8-bit feel, and it lookes great with this design.

logicalcupcake

quality posts: 5 Private Messages logicalcupcake
Re: I <3 taco

Kind of wish the taco was more full xD
I like the design, but I think it would have a better chance of fogging if you had posted the design sooner.

moosepod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moosepod
Re: WHAT. DO. YOU. DO?

Why is Conan working in my store?

VOTE- Click Below!!!

faultylogic83

quality posts: 2 Private Messages faultylogic83
Re: Marriage Unlocked

+1 In support

epicfal

Re: Press Start

This is gorgeous! It reminds me of the 8 bit landscapes in the old Sierra computer games I loved as a kid. And the text totally makes it. I'm gonna have to go take votes back from a bunch of things... I want this to print so bad. If it doesn't, you should print it somewhere else, and let me know where, and I will so buy it.

epicfal

Re: My Iconic Life

This is a great design! I don't know why it doesn't have more votes.

epicfal

Re: Rush Hour!

Haha, this scene looks familiar.

febrirsknight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages febrirsknight
vorteks wrote:Off topic. Dr. Who's life is not an everyday task.

Sorry. I meant watching Dr Who was an everyday task.

gement

epicfal wrote:This is a great design! I don't know why it doesn't have more votes.

It was posted pretty late. (Order by date and you'll see.) A lot of people don't go back and check for late entries, or only look at stuff that's already past a certain vote threshold, so speed matters on the Derby.

That and the dearth of fan service.

gement

febrirsknight wrote:Sorry. I meant watching Dr Who was an everyday task.

Without any kind of framing on the t-shirt, there's no reason to interpret it as anything but a direct experience of the Doctor's day, which is in the same territory as astronauts, Godzilla, and Alice throwing cats, all of which have been nixed in this derby.

Still really cool tinyart, though! Do you have any more of your work up online?

sunnysfunny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sunnysfunny
taternuggets wrote:I love all your entries (and own several) but this one bothers me.

How is pressing B any less effort than pressing A?

It's still very well done though.

Even lazy people get lazy during a video game. It takes a lot to push those buttons. Thank goodness you don't have to move your body much to play the game. Imagine if you had to stand, physically kick and punch... the horror.

AzurePhoenix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AzurePhoenix
puff2puff wrote:I certainly thought John Scalzi was kidding.

I want this shirt!

OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG! (okay where did the ponies come from?? *looks around for those crazy shirtwooter mods*) That takes this shirt to a whole new level! I love "Whatever" but I found it waaay after Scalzi did that. I really need to go back thru his archives to see what other odd things he has done.

Bootsboots, you are such a great artist, I love picking up your designs and even when I don't grab your shirts, I always think that your ideas are creative. Thank you!

vixcarin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vixcarin
ChaosDoctor07 wrote:Yeah. That's pretty much my thoughts too. Unless that rabbit has some very discrete strain of rabies, nothing about this rabbit suggests that one should be wary of it.

Unless it's the rabbit from Monty Python's "Search for the Holy Grail". Then terror will strike in your heart.

fenrirsknight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fenrirsknight
gement wrote:Without any kind of framing on the t-shirt, there's no reason to interpret it as anything but a direct experience of the Doctor's day, which is in the same territory as astronauts, Godzilla, and Alice throwing cats, all of which have been nixed in this derby.

Still really cool tinyart, though! Do you have any more of your work up online?

i thought of putting something else on it but i couldn't think of anything that wasn't awful or made it look like a pic that didn't belong on the site. But no, i have a DevART account under the same S/N but this is the first pixel art i have ever done, and my first woot.shirt submission. I will try harder next week i guess lol

mattlussier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattlussier
tinofthefoil wrote:we sure do loose. you're grammer is well.

yeah... i know...i was tired and lazy...my wife caught it after i posted...

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
htfs wrote:The problem is, the joke loses meaning if it doesn't violate their rules.

Woot doesn't enforce rules if they think they can make a few bucks.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: CPS On Line One

Am I the only one that sees the red words in 3D?

unionboggle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unionboggle
gement wrote:I can see how getting all four entries rejected on your first try would be pretty frustrating. Let's go back to square one. Read the rules, which apply to every derby.

Don't use other people's work. Don't trace from photos or other pictures. It's called plagiarism, it's intellectual property theft, and it's illegal to sell it. All four of your entries seem to have done this, and it's the one big rule.

There's politics on the derby about this, as you may have already seen. There are questions about variable enforcement. I'd personally like to see a minimum one-month ban from the derby for demonstrable photo or clip art plagiarism to discourage people from gambling on not getting caught.

But yours were, for better or worse, all really obvious, and you got caught. If you didn't know the rule, you do now. Tracing is theft. Please don't. Thanks!

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I'll try harder next time.

"taste the beast"

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909