DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 129 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
gement wrote:But if you admit it's the Killer Rabbit, then it's no longer Everyday 8-Bit, it's Supernatural Creatures in a Medieval Setting 8-Bit, and it gets rejected. People are bending over backwards to accept this as an everyday rabbit for the purposes of the theme, at which point the joke goes away. You can't have it both ways.

(I'm in the "should have been rejected" camp on this one, because as much as I love a good Killer Rabbit, it's not in theme here.)

Hmm, you know I don't think you have to bend over backward to see this design as a spoof of the pervasive RPG fight command "run away/flee/escape" in an everyday setting rather than a pure Monty Python reference.

The everyday task supposedly being "walking in the park" the possibility the rabbit is EITHER an everyday bunny or the killer rabbit would both work with the "escape" joke. The player is either over reacting to an ordinary bunny or tactically escaping with their life from a random encounter of doom. Since it's left pretty vague(no blood on the rabbit or pile of bones) I can see why woot might feel it's on topic enough.

Ugh it doesn't help that I can actually imagine a fan of Monty Python making this joke at an actual rabbit encounter... sigh.

mattlussier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattlussier
Re: WORK WARP RESUB

thanx to everyone that voted for this and the first variation... for a second i almost thought i had a last second, derby shoe-in

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
DianaSprinkle wrote:Hmm, you know I don't think you have to bend over backward to see this design as a spoof of the pervasive RPG fight command "run away/flee/escape" in an everyday setting rather than a pure Monty Python reference.

The everyday task supposedly being "walking in the park" the possibility the rabbit is EITHER an everyday bunny or the killer rabbit would both work with the "escape" joke. The player is either over reacting to an ordinary bunny or tactically escaping with their life from a random encounter of doom. Since it's left pretty vague(no blood on the rabbit or pile of bones) I can see why woot might feel it's on topic enough.

Ugh it doesn't help that I can actually imagine a fan of Monty Python making this joke at an actual rabbit encounter... sigh.

Sigh. Your point is well and truly taken. I'm no better when I see a trash can that looks too much like a Dalek.

elgordo42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elgordo42
gement wrote:My 8-bit memories are all of text adventures and ill-advised educational software on the Apple IIe...

IMO Rocky's Boots was /not/ ill-advised!

And thanks for reminding me of Below The Root =)

gement

beachcomber1969 wrote:Please, please, please print and sell this somewhere and let all of us know. "Us" being the coolest of the Wooters - the Knitting Wooters. If only we had more voting power!

PS: thanks for throwing in some Whovian too! That got me doing a few girly screams.

Counting two more from off-site, that's 5 people asking me to publish this. I'll call that a mandate. Expect to see a "for sale" sign in my sig line in 61 days.

Thank you, all of you, for your support.

Edited to add: I just checked Ravelry again. Oh my goodness. Yes, I definitely have enough requests to print.

gement

elgordo42 wrote:IMO Rocky's Boots was /not/ ill-advised!

And thanks for reminding me of Below The Root =)

Those are the big two! I went and looked up Below the Root again after I finished this and found I lifted the color scheme almost exactly. It's the wallpaper of my childhood.

Rocky's Boots got me through my college electronics class without a sweat. I'm not knocking it.

dylia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dylia
Arand3 wrote:Brilliant! 2-bits, 4-bits, 8-bits, a dollar!

I'm SO glad somebody finally gets it!

I'd originally started doing it as set of old Spanish silver dollars split up like the song, but between the average American not really knowing the origin of the rhyme & the fact that turning them 8-bit made them look like a rather pitiful little gray pizza, I went with Mr. Washington instead. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

dylia

DianaSprinkle wrote:Ugh it doesn't help that I can actually imagine a fan of Monty Python making this joke at an actual rabbit encounter... sigh.

Yeah, that would be every bunny where my group of friends are concerned. They're ALL "no ordinary rabbit". Then again, every rodent bigger than said bunny is almost automatically an ROUS, so...

chunkydesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkydesign
thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • Lesson one, do not hide. Lesson two, there are right ways to fight.

Thanks for the award!!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
dylia wrote:I'm SO glad somebody finally gets it! .

We used to call it "dollar color" back in the day when it was, so it's not lost on some of us old folken.

And I think the rhyme was 2,4,6 dollar. According to the cheerleaders anyway.

move along

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz
melloncollie3 wrote:Except the title suggests it to be a random rabbit encountered in a park... If RamyB says it's based on Monty Python then all is well and good, but thus far he hasn't... So it's still just a run o' the mill fluffy wabbit.

An ordinary rabbit in the park/woods would almost certainly be brown. An escaped white rabbit would be an albino with pink eyes. This . . . ? I don't know what it is.

kristina1225

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kristina1225
gement wrote: I'd personally like to see a minimum one-month ban from the derby for demonstrable photo or clip art plagiarism to discourage people from gambling on not getting caught.

I agree with this, 100%

dylia

j5 wrote:We used to call it "dollar color" back in the day when it was, so it's not lost on some of us old folken.

And I think the rhyme was 2,4,6 dollar. According to the cheerleaders anyway.

Well, that's what you get for relying on cheerleaders for historical information. ;-) I actually tried to explain the history behind it to the cheerleading coach at my high school (who was a teacher herself & married to one of the history teachers) & got a very ditzy "But 8 doesn't come after 4; 6 does." *sigh*

The whole 8-bits-a-dollar thing is from the old Spanish "Pieces of 8" dollar coins. Each bit = $0.125. You could have 6 bits, but that would only give you $0.75 & that was quite a difference back then.

I'll take my nerd hat off now.

dylia

[quote postid="4581858" user="blinddog3d"
It's witch hunt. Where's that Scarlet Letter?[/quote]

There seems to be a hiccup in your historical soliloquy. The Scarlet Letter had nothing to do with witch hunts. It was an A for having committed adultery. You might want to actually read the book--or at least check Wikipedia--before making analogies.

Just sayin'.

fenrirsknight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fenrirsknight
gement wrote:I agree. This is a pretty tricky derby for staying in-theme.

how exactly does a design get rejected? are there moderators or do the designs just get rejected based on so many "tattle" buttons or whatever?

lesleyj88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lesleyj88

I LOVE this shirt! I'm not even a Zelda fan, I just wholeheartedly agree with the message it puts across. The world is a dangerous place, and we damn well need pancakes to ready us for our daily battle.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
fenrirsknight wrote:how exactly does a design get rejected? are there moderators or do the designs just get rejected based on so many "tattle" buttons or whatever?

While a 'tattle' will draw attention to an entry, a 'rejection' requires someone at woot making a decision. Tattles may help them make that decision, but there is not a mechanism for a certain number of tattles automatically causing a rejection.

Does that answer your question?

Nothing follows.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
dylia wrote:Well, that's what you get for relying on cheerleaders for historical information. ;-) I actually tried to explain the history behind it to the cheerleading coach at my high school (who was a teacher herself & married to one of the history teachers) & got a very ditzy "But 8 doesn't come after 4; 6 does." *sigh*

The whole 8-bits-a-dollar thing is from the old Spanish "Pieces of 8" dollar coins. Each bit = $0.125. You could have 6 bits, but that would only give you $0.75 & that was quite a difference back then.

I'll take my nerd hat off now.

OK, I'm going to put on my pedant hat.

Cheerleader chant 1: 2,4,6,8 who do we appreciate? < mascot >! < mascot >! < mascot >!.
Cheerleader chant 2: 2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits, a dollar, all for < mascot > stand up and holler.

So....what I'm saying is, when counting by twos, 8 is the next logical progression after 6. Therefore, 8 bits being equivalent to a dollar, it follows that "a dollar" will come after "6 bits"

Q.E.D.

move along

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

@epicfal, arek920 - Glad you liked it enough to comment! As you may know, the design is Woot's to do with as they please for 2 months (6 if they like it enough to give it an honorable mention, which is always cool). So if it doesn't end up in the forthcoming double-take derby, expect it to be quite some time before it materializes elsewhere.

If all else fails you can check out my site (link in sig), and I'll post an update about its fate.

@gement - I think the fact that our derby overlords didn't name a resolution shows they were happy with something pixelly rather than strictly 8-bit.

Personally, I thought my concept would read a lot better if I worked from the low resolution and then blew it up, and my very limited pixel art experience has shown its a lot easier to work small anyway.

gement

rasabi wrote:@gement - I think the fact that our derby overlords didn't name a resolution shows they were happy with something pixelly rather than strictly 8-bit.

Personally, I thought my concept would read a lot better if I worked from the low resolution and then blew it up, and my very limited pixel art experience has shown its a lot easier to work small anyway.

Re: overlords, yup. This has just seemed like an unusually scratchy topic for people declaring each other out of theme. (Myself included, though I've tried to keep it down to a dull roar.)

The only real choices are work small and scale up, or draw a thing, shrink it down, and do massive cleanup and reproportioning. I can't imagine the hassle of the latter.

mvspicer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mvspicer
Re: The Amazing 2-step Workout

I want this to win, so I can see it stretched across the belly of a 425lb guy at a gaming convention next year! ( Reading the shirts is secretly my favorite part of the convention- is that wrong?)

dylia

j5 wrote:OK, I'm going to put on my pedant hat.

Cheerleader chant 1: 2,4,6,8 who do we appreciate? < mascot >! < mascot >! < mascot >!.
Cheerleader chant 2: 2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits, a dollar, all for < mascot > stand up and holler.

So....what I'm saying is, when counting by twos, 8 is the next logical progression after 6. Therefore, 8 bits being equivalent to a dollar, it follows that "a dollar" will come after "6 bits"

Q.E.D.

True, however, the original pneumonic from the 1700's was "2 bits, 4 bits, 8 bits--a dollar," meaning 8 bits = a dollar. It's just another one of those things--like the original "Ring Around the Rosies" lyrics--that's been bastardized by modernization. It makes my inner OCD historian twitch.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Super Effective

lol - awesome!!:D

Vote!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: finish itttt!

hyuk another good one!

Vote!

galeforcewind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages galeforcewind
gement wrote:(Sorry, I didn't realize the 500-char description doesn't show on the entry page, so here it is.)

Express your individuality with hip, fun knitting projects your family and friends will love! If they're into laptop covers shaped like elder gods, anyway.

Ahh, so you did that Cthulhu computer cozy, too, hunh? LOVE this shirt - would be a buy 3 for me, and then would consider getting some for my other geeky knitter friends ...

I do wish you had gone with the cutlass though, as opposed to the katana. Pirates rule and ninjas drool!!

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
Re: Ate bits of Bacon

Mmmmmmmmmm Bacon! Cool very clean. I really like this design 8bit Bacon. Really good use of patterns within your design I remember them from illustrator 3.0 Man I am dating myself. LOL Did you Use old illustrator for this?

+1
jnorah

oreocookiesp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oreocookiesp
Re: Sonic Screwdriver is Super Effective!

It's too bad Rory ruins the current cast.

solusumbra

quality posts: 1 Private Messages solusumbra
gement wrote:Remember, voters are Philistines. Unless your shirt is winning, then they have great taste and recognize genius.

Nah, I consider it pure luck whenever something I like wins. Like walking outside to discover that the weather is pleasant in the middle of a scorching summer.

I don't like giving these people credit for anything.

jodiehuie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jodiehuie
tinofthefoil wrote:we sure do loose. you're grammer is well.

Your grammar as well.

solusumbra

quality posts: 1 Private Messages solusumbra
AdderXYU wrote:1)
2) It doesn't matter if only one derby entry is on topic, and that one derby entry is horrible: that should be the winner, and nothing should win saturday and sunday.

While I recognize this as a valid point, I would much rather they be lax in enforcing their rules and get good designs as a result (never mind they'll get voted down by the unwashed masses).

They have provided a theme and a grounds upon which they can nix the more egregious entries. I have no qualms about how they conduct themselves otherwise.

gement

oreocookiesp wrote:It's too bad Rory ruins the current cast.

Let's not get into character wars, hm? (I consider Rory a bright spot right now, but see no reason for trash talk here.)

adorabrooke

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adorabrooke
bbbrob wrote:The cake is a lie! (Wait, that's not 8-bit!)

"Uh Death Please...Cake Cake Cake! sorry."
"You said Death first,Ahah ahah Death first!"
"No I meant Cake!"
"Oh alright. You're lucky I'm Church of England."

Put me down for 2 shirts! One for me & one for my Hubby.

adorabrooke

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adorabrooke
Re: Super Effective

I love this!

jhernz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhernz
Re: Tunes PUP

Would have been my pleasure. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near fog territory.

mrscritter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrscritter
Re: BreakfastQuest

I LOL'd.

As always, good job boots.

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
ponyscribbles wrote:Coming in kind of late on this unfortunately, but I think having the guy on there and all that extra stuff made it a bit busy-looking; it would have been a much stronger design if you'd just put the coffee cup, the sparkles, and the "power up" on as the design.

I absolutely agree. It might one day get a bit of a rework. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

kevinnn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevinnn

This is really good, I wish I knew how to vote lol... I'm a newbie

Woot Woot!

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Re: Insomnia

Why aren't you in the fog? This is ridiculous! This deserves an honorable mention at the very least - you'll get my vote next double take!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
epicfal wrote:Haha, this scene looks familiar.

tonythai1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonythai1981
Re: Time Machine.

What TIME is it?
Breakfast TIME
Lunch TIME
Dinner TIME
Snack TIME