enzo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages enzo01

You don't need to learn from a fancy university. If you want to know something you look it up in your gut, Stephen Colbert does.

holothuria

quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
DerokH wrote:Universitas? Collegium? Come on people, it's only Latin!

And putting "Wikipedia" in the fourth declension? Where did they do their research on this Latin? Oh . . . right. . . .

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

Werefrog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Werefrog
BlindingMask wrote:I'm going to wear this while teaching a university class. I kid you not.

And if they cite wikipedia it's a BIG FAT ZERO.

You better be careful. A professor at my college got in trouble for putting on his Facebook status that he was going to go do some research for his class on Wikipedia. Or maybe that was in a movie. So... [citation needed] I guess...

alanbard

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alanbard

should be either "University Wikipedia" or "Universitas Wikipedius"

oh, and if you buy the shirt cause you're on wiki everyday, did you remember to send wiki a donation...?

doughboy2004

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doughboy2004

Is there really a better informational source in all the land......

RyanHimself

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RyanHimself
drawgood wrote:I think this is a good design, but the joke is not so good. Wikipedia is hated at colleges by professors and students as well. It's like somewhere you go to research something but don't tell your classmates or teachers you did. Another reason I wouldn't wear it is because it says "Look at me I didn't go to college and spent my time reading wiki instead." Do not mean to insult anyone.

I'm working on a Masters and going on to a PhD and I bought it because of the level of hate I have toward Wikipedia That's what makes the shirt so brilliant!

elainet

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elainet
drawgood wrote:I think this is a good design, but the joke is not so good. Wikipedia is hated at colleges by professors and students as well. It's like somewhere you go to research something but don't tell your classmates or teachers you did. Another reason I wouldn't wear it is because it says "Look at me I didn't go to college and spent my time reading wiki instead." Do not mean to insult anyone.

As a college professor, I can tell you that yes, Wikipedia is disliked. But that IS the joke. And quite a funny one, at that.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
sidra wrote:I learned more anatomy from Wikipedia than from Netter's atlas.

Now, if only I could wear this around the hospital - too bad students don't get dress-down days.

I learned more anatomy from pr0n than from sex ed in school.

MaxSMoke777

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MaxSMoke777

Great, more people attacking Wikipedia. You know, I have FAR more trust in Wikipedia then I do any single book or professor. I've heard some RIDICULOUS stuff from those sources that would NEVER fly on Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is by Nerds, for Nerds. These are argumentive people who delight in showing each other who knows more about a topic. Fanboys, OCD Cases, freaks. If there is a single mistake, they pounce on it, just to show off how much smarter they are then everybody else. Now THAT'S reliable information! Not the outdated, often politically bias rantings of some overpaid college professor, usually too busy trying to figure out how to dittle his/her students to actually KNOW anything about their current or relevant about their chosen field.

In Nerds I Trust! Academia, not so much.

But if you want to justify $10,000 in student loan debt with an insulting shirt, go right away. Maybe that 10 year old book you paid $120 for really is up-to-date. I'm certain you got your money's worth. [citation needed]

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
MaxSMoke777 wrote:Great, more people attacking Wikipedia. You know, I have FAR more trust in Wikipedia then I do any single book or professor. I've heard some RIDICULOUS stuff from those sources that would NEVER fly on Wikipedia. [citation needed]

Deep breaths, man. Deeep breaths.

We all use Wikipedia, just like we all use Google. Professors, librarians, everybody. Wikipedia is great for breadth of knowledge. As part of a balanced exploration, it's a great starting point.

We get a bit fed up when the quest for knowledge ends with trusting a Wikipedia article that may have recently been vandalized or swarmed over with New Earthers, especially when the assignment called for a book-depth understanding of the subject.

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement

Also...

MaxSMoke777 wrote:some overpaid college professor

Where did you find an overpaid one? My friends with tenure would like to know.

MEENMichael

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MEENMichael
MaxSMoke777 wrote:Great, more people attacking Wikipedia.

But if you want to justify $10,000 in student loan debt with an insulting shirt, go right away. Maybe that 10 year old book you paid $120 for really is up-to-date. I'm certain you got your money's worth. [citation needed]

I just have to interject here and say that I love both this shirt and Wikipedia!

Sure, it pokes a little fun, but that's the point. Everybody knows the joke about Wikipedia not being a 'reliable' source, but it is obviously very successful anyhow!

I use it all the time, and as a lover of knowledge/trivia and obtaining it in as short of a time as possible, I think it is great. Of course going truly in depth into a given subject should warrant a more thorough level of research, it has been immensely useful in giving me a great amount of base knowledge in a large variety of subjects.

However, as stated above, I am still getting the shirt simply because it is just so darn hilarious!

chrisprender

quality posts: 312 Private Messages chrisprender

I don't know how I feel about the idea of giving everyone the ability to change my shirt.

ashleystew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashleystew

Perfect for anyone teaching Freshmen English.

groops

quality posts: 0 Private Messages groops

Mine showed up a couple days ago - am now sitting in the Wikimedia Foundation offices wearing it

Barc7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barc7
alanbard wrote:should be either "University Wikipedia" or "Universitas Wikipedius"

Actually, I think it should be "Universitatis Wikipediana" if it's really going to be Latin. (That's based on the diplomas of the University of the South, which are in Latin, and name the school Universitatis Meridiana. I'm not really sure about the Latin formation of the Wikipedia portion.)

eoreilly

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eoreilly

Apparently if you order two they really will only send you one fun huh?

holothuria

quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
Barc7 wrote:Actually, I think it should be "Universitatis Wikipediana" if it's really going to be Latin. (That's based on the diplomas of the University of the South, which are in Latin, and name the school Universitatis Meridiana. I'm not really sure about the Latin formation of the Wikipedia portion.)

"Universitatis" is genitive, meaning "of the university." "Meridiana", being an adjective, should agree with the noun in case, gender and number--the case is wrong here, however. "Universitas Meridiana" would be correct in the nominative case, or "Universitatis Meridianae" in the genitive. (There are some alternate explanations--such as a very nonspecific substantival adjective--but my guess is either that you misread "Universitas" and inserted the extra syllable, or somebody hastily declined the noun but forgot to decline the adjective.)

As far as rendering "Wikipedia" in Latin, the first question that arises is one of spelling. In classical Latin, there was no "W", and "K" was extremely rare and would not have been used in this position. (They also hadn't separated "U" from "V" yet, but we usually do that now for ease of reading.) Believe it or not, transliterations of Hawaiian into classical Latin are quite rare, but "vici" would preserve the Anglicized pronunciation as we have come to know it. The Romans had a different word for the concept of an encyclopedia, but "encyclopaedia" was taken as a loan word from Greek during the Neo-Latin period. It is placed in the first declension, which is a logical placement due to its ending in an "A". Using that as an analogue, we would render the phrase "Universitas Vicipedia", meaning "University Wikipedia" or "Wikipedia University". Alternatively, "Universitas Vicipediae" would mean "University of Wikipedia".

And that's your dose of correctly inflected fake Latin for the day.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

Bosque

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bosque

Just got mine today, but the printing is warped. Gotta see about them sending me another one. Anyone else have this problem, or was I just unlucky?

tman2088

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tman2088
Bosque wrote:Just got mine today, but the printing is warped. Gotta see about them sending me another one. Anyone else have this problem, or was I just unlucky?

Can you send a picture of the design to service@woot.com? That'll help us figure out what to do next.

barnabee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barnabee
eoreilly wrote:Apparently if you order two they really will only send you one fun huh?

Yeah, I only got one of the shirts that I ordered. The tracking email said that there might be multiple packages that may arrive on different days and to give it a couple of extra days before complaining.

I received mine 2 days ago, but I'm going to give them a few extra days.

I guess I am in a benevolent mood.

krittikae

quality posts: 25 Private Messages krittikae

I know this is an older shirt, but I was watching a Big Bang Theory rerun tonight, and Wil Wheaton was wearing it! Hello awesome!