blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
jasneko wrote:Thanks everyone so far!

Here are the requested schemes... (actually I had been considering blues as well, so glad to hear it!). Here is navy blue and royal blue, with brown. Preferences now? (including the previous brown and red ones)

Not red.

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
qetza wrote:Puppy Cerebus and a shadow of things to come.

Always nice to see a good Cerberus shirt and it shouldn't be too close to THIS

blk909

kevlar51 wrote:It's a wax cylinder, so it's supposed to look like that.

But Victrolas played phonographs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victrola#The_Victrola

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Thanks for the color choices!

I'm a little confused because people were commenting from two different places, but I think from what I'm seeing, it's down to these three: brown, navy blue, royal blue. So of these, go ahead and give your preference if you like it - thanks!

Vote!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Lagbert wrote:Here's what I'm playing with:

I'm calling it "Wrong Stick"

My favorite from the PreDerby so far!

blk909

according to the woot newsletter, Teacher Talks Funny is tonight's shirt woot, but the link is broken and will only show last night's shirt.

lonelypond

quality posts: 409 Private Messages lonelypond
jasneko wrote:Thanks for the color choices!

I'm a little confused because people were commenting from two different places, but I think from what I'm seeing, it's down to these three: brown, navy blue, royal blue. So of these, go ahead and give your preference if you like it - thanks!

royal seems to pop the images more for me

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
blk909 wrote:But Victrolas played phonographs.

Maybe the later ones, but it is phonographs that played records.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
graffd02 wrote:Here's what I've got to offer...

comments & suggestions welcome... I'm off to bed, work beckons early in the morn...

It seems odd that the dude is just sitting there in a void. But drowning in water wouldn't help either. Maybe if you have the bricks fade away so the end isn't so abrupt..

thewronggrape

quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape

I'm a bit confused...

In the first panel, it looks like he's holding an arm. So he's throwing an arm... which would explain why he's missing one in the third panel but that still doesn't make sense.

thewronggrape

quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape
blanked wrote:It seems odd that the dude is just sitting there in a void. But drowning in water wouldn't help either. Maybe if you have the bricks fade away so the end isn't so abrupt..

My thoughts exactly. It looks like he's about to be squished by the well, not that he's sitting at the bottom of one.

rogerrogerroger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rogerrogerroger

dogs have lazers, yeah?

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
thewronggrape wrote:I'm a bit confused...

In the first panel, it looks like he's holding an arm. So he's throwing an arm... which would explain why he's missing one in the third panel but that still doesn't make sense.

1st panel - man holding stick to throw to dog
2nd panel - dog chases stick off edge of panel
3rd panel - dog brings back the wrong stick - a pirates peg leg

The guy is missing his arm because this is a rough and he's only filler until the final pose is done.

dabartle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dabartle
tjost wrote:Here's the first design I'm working on.

I really like this. Its got a lot of layers. First you see a cute dog, then the sign warning that he is an attack dog. So you think its a funny because he is cute and not really dangerous. Then you see the pile of bones and you know he is a killer and you must obey the signe no matter how cute he looks. So good.

jel2301

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
lyonscc wrote:I'm new at this. How do you determine if something is "too close"? (I suppose I could have seen this sometime in the past and that's what brought it to mind, but it's frustrating, nonetheless).

You can't know for sure until you do or don't get rejected, but I've seen every derby, so I think I have a good handle on the rejection tendencies, and I can tell you that this will get rejected. The concept is nearly identical, and the visual layout is identical, and the content is very very similar. I don't see any hope for yours surviving. Sorry to deliver the bad news.

gideonfrost

quality posts: 33 Private Messages gideonfrost
thewronggrape wrote:I'm a bit confused...

He's throwing a stick and the dog got the wrong stick (the Pirate's leg)

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie

Still some tweaking to do but here is the RUFF draft (I had to do it).

What do you think?

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
nblottie wrote:Still some tweaking to do but here is the RUFF draft (I had to do it).

What do you think?

You must be butter 'cuz you're on a roll.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
blk909 wrote:But Victrolas played phonographs.

its not a victrolas.
its a cylinder playing thingy. ;)

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester
jasneko wrote:Darn cute!!! I like it the way it is.

Here is what I'm working on. Should I keep the mailman?

Keep the mail man! A dog without a mailman is like a clown without make up!

bluejester

tjost wrote:Here's the first design I'm working on.

On the one hand, I like that it's a double joke. First you get the whole, "Oh look, they put a beware of dog sign by the cute puppy"--then you see the pile of bones.

However, it lacks a good stinger that really sells it and makes you go, "Wait, what?" I feel like the the "scary dog" sign needs a disembodied hand on it that make you do a double take, or a skull on the pile of bones.

My initial thought is a skull by the bone pile will sell the gag. As is, people might miss that particular sight gag and just figure the dog doesn't bury his bones.

slouie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slouie

First time posting. I'm not an artist, just a shirt buyer. I hope this is not too politically charged but I really would like to see some designs revolving around the topic of, military dogs! Perhaps something stoic, like the dog standing tall with it's head raised and attentive. Or perhaps one where it's leaping out of the chest when the shirt is worn by the person.

Would love it if a talented artist like patrickspens or drake can come up with soemthing cool.

CHECK THIS LINK OUT!

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/05/04/war_dog?page=0,0

Some other helpful links, maybe?

http://blog.predatorbdu.com/2011/05/that-armored-tactical-dog-will-hunt.html

http://www.fastcompany.com/1753360/the-tech-that-outfits-the-dogs-of-war

slouie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slouie

bluejester

Any love for Hong-Kong Fuey? Brain? Snoopy or Astro?

At first I thought this characters sitting around doing the dogs playing poker thing would be funny, but apparently its been done, not on a shirt, but just in general.

Anyways, I liked the Dog the Bounty hunter, but what about some 80's cartoon puppy love--so to speak?

aidmm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aidmm

*deleted by me*

aidmm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aidmm
nblottie wrote:Still some tweaking to do but here is the RUFF draft (I had to do it).

What do you think?

Yes. Oh, yes.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
bluejester wrote:Keep the mail man! A dog without a mailman is like a clown without make up!

I am! Now which color scheme do you like?;)

Here is another one I've been making...

"Puppy Dog Eyes"
What can I add to it? Or, is it enough the way it is?

Vote!

bluejester

jasneko wrote:I am! Now which color scheme do you like?;)

"Puppy Dog Eyes"

Sorry, added that last comment before I finished reading the thread. I would also vote for the Royal Blue, it (as some one else already said) really make the design colors pop.

I like the doggie, I do think that this little guy needs something more. Maybe a thought bubble of a bone? I dunno, it is cute, but it needs just one more touch to make the design feel complete. (At least in my mind)

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan

"Puppy Dog Eyes"

I can't help it - with the white border, my brain says, "iron-on transfer."

I do feel like it's a little incomplete somehow, but I don't have any bright ideas. Some kind of context, yet it would be cliche to have him sitting next to a chewed shoe or something of that sort... Dunno. Love your art, though - not just this one, but consistently.

cxl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cxl
Nekkochan wrote:I can't help it - with the white border, my brain says, "iron-on transfer."

I do feel like it's a little incomplete somehow, but I don't have any bright ideas. Some kind of context, yet it would be cliche to have him sitting next to a chewed shoe or something of that sort... Dunno. Love your art, though - not just this one, but consistently.

Maybe a doghouse? If this is going along with the adopt/shelter theme.

Either way, you could always make the eyes bigger. They're more normal-sized than "dawwww adorable."

cxl

Nekkochan wrote:I can't help it - with the white border, my brain says, "iron-on transfer."

Maybe a doghouse? If this is going along with the adopt/shelter theme.

Either way, you could always make the eyes bigger. They're more normal-sized than "dawwww adorable."

cxl

grahamcrackercoyote wrote:Always nice to see a good Cerberus shirt and it shouldn't be too close to THIS

I was reminded of this, though.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

work in progress -

I NEED TO GO DEEPER

or better title suggestion welcome. .

rowanhansen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowanhansen
midgerock wrote:here's what I got and wonder if I should go just line work or color minimally. Its play off the old RCA dogs being so curious to find his master he gets his head stuck in the "horn thingy"... you know what I mean.
What do you guys think? Open to any feedback.

You beat me to it.

flemtone

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flemtone

Lawlz. This is great.

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine
rowanhansen wrote:

You beat me to it.

Those two are different enough. Two completely different takes on the same subject. I like them both.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

What do you think?

Just to be clear, this is "Boba Fetch" right? That's the name?

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots

This still needs cleaned up, but in the meantime, I could use some shirt color help.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

"Puppy Dog Eyes"

Your dog dream one is awesome! I'd go with dk blue or brown if you're still debating.

I'd almost put a broken lamp or something like that under the sad dog- dogs always get away with murder by looking so pitiful when they get caught.... but it's up to you... neat designs!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
BootsBoots wrote:This still needs cleaned up, but in the meantime, I could use some shirt color help.

Awesome design, boots! Love it! I'm a particular fan of the navy though- easier to see the details...