gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
Re: dogs want steak

This is charming. When I realized what I was looking at, suddenly it looked like the entire coat was wiggling.

gement

Re: Undying Loyalty

This is well-drawn, but the fact that the realistic kid's pants are around his ankles is kind of freaking me out. I suspect my friends would point out the fact that I'm wearing a half-dressed child and it would be uncomfortable.

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
Spiritgreen wrote:He's an Akita Inu! A little bigger than the Shiba but similar lookin'. :^)

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Well, I'll apologize to Roxie on your behalf. I will try to explain to her that it's not a big enough hydrant to feature every breed.

This isn't getting the votes I'd hoped it would. I wonder if people are deciding they don't want to wear a fire hydrant? The dogs are just SO cute. Perhaps also submit a shirt with some or all of these dogs doing something else? I hate to see these pups not getting the love they deserve.

spazzysoph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spazzysoph
Re: Dog Park

wow. this is really cool. well thought out i love will buy if it prints! the subtlety is brilliant. as a lover and expert on dogs, gmv!

camoor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages camoor

http://www.snakeandsnake.com/3wolfmoon.jpg

technodebbie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages technodebbie
riveroffeathers wrote:This is my first Entry at Shirt Woot! Wish me Luck! :D

awesome first entry river of feathers I want that T-shirt!

maximus08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maximus08
Re: Camouflage V2

You like to take shortcuts and sneak someone else's artwork into your own.

If this was the first time you had done this, I would simply chalk it up to not knowing the rules. However, you've done this several times before.

Obviously, from your other rejections, you should know you can't trace photos for your shirt entries.

Stealing other peoples artwork is wrong.

Original image.

spazzysoph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spazzysoph
crazy4books wrote:Could the gray one be Toto?

no if you look his muzzle is white like astros. toto is a black Scottish terrier

maximus08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maximus08
Re: Camouflage

You like to take shortcuts and sneak someone else's artwork into your own.

If this was the first time you had done this, I would simply chalk it up to not knowing the rules. However, you've done this several times before.

Obviously, from your other rejections, you should know you can't trace photos for your shirt entries.

Stealing other peoples artwork is wrong.

Original image.

astrobat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages astrobat
Re: EJECT! EJECT! (Resub)

This is a resub of "Flying Saucer Catcher." I thought it would look better on royal blue with a fade behind it.

S4SA

quality posts: 0 Private Messages S4SA
Re: Mine!

This is MINE!

gement

Re: Guardian of the Underworld

This is a huge step up. Great work, Ramyb.

astrobat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages astrobat
Re: Gonna get that squirrel!

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! It has been really helpful. I've decided that I will re-submit it with the tongues dark brown and the dog's boots gray. I may also give it a different thumbnail and get rid of the clouds (I can see how they might be too distracting.)

gement

Re: Music Lover

I love both the cone dogs for very different reasons. (This one's sweet, the other one's stark and mournful.) I hope at least one of them rises to the top!

aidmm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aidmm
damask16 wrote:DAAWWW! He's so sad! Nice how the shadow evokes so much more emotion from a faceless puppy. GMV.

Thanks! Didn't know where I was going with it. It just kinda happened.

underblueskies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages underblueskies
Re: Beware of Fluffy

I really like this design! Makes me think of the white rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Adorable and deadly. My only complaint is that the dog head on the yellow sign looks more like the head of a T-rex than a dog to me. ::shrug::

underblueskies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages underblueskies
Re: Cone of Shame

Your drawing really gets the message of shame across! Simple but successful. good job =)

gement

Re: Puppy Love

Agree and agree. (Pink&blue makes it a no-buy for me, but it needs two colors.) Green and blue? Light and dark blue?

Pink and red would look too valentiney, but I think light blue and dark blue would probably look great, and wearable by a variety of genders. (Women will wear light blue a lot more often than men will wear pink.)

kaelynangelfoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaelynangelfoot
SeedUvPain wrote:This is scientifically accurate

+1 for making me laugh

gement

Re: Classy Corgi

This complimentary comment has been replaced by incoherent high pitched squeeing noises.

OHHH, WHOZA CUTEST CORGIPUPPY YOU ARE YES.

gement

Re: where is mr wrinkles?

This is a fantastic use of shirt color. So many wrinkles!

kaelynangelfoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaelynangelfoot
cherylfrancis wrote: My dog is an original character. The art on this site is incredible, I agree. I have made several purchases. But only ones that I would be proud to wear. I'm not going to purchase a rip off of a well known artist. I have much more respect for artists than that.

I understand that its art, I was just pointing out that the image gives the impression of being incomplete, and whether or not this was intentional doesn't really matter. I was simply asking for a reason that the other poster was so passionate about insisting people vote for this, because I'm not that impressed with it.

riveroffeathers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riveroffeathers
gement wrote:This is positively dripping with cute. Good luck!

Thank you so much! :D

gement

cherylfrancis wrote:Technical superiority is praised overlooking personal expression.

The majority of designs that do well here have both technical strength and a good story or idea. They may not be ideas that work for you, but they're ideas. They inspire me to smile, and think, and start conversations.

You have a good idea here. Your essay about how our culture doesn't value free expression doesn't change the fact that the art style isn't speaking to me.

Someone explained how the art style wasn't speaking to them. (The body lacks details compared to the head.) Some designs show a whole expression in just a stroke or two, but usually you need more. This needs more. That is my feedback.

Acorns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Acorns
Re: Dog Park

The one on the far left is Spot I think. It was part of a children's pop up book series.

gement

Re: cone

I like both the cone entries for very different reasons. Yours seems closer to the original, kind of stark and iconic, and it's a bit melancholy. I hope they both do well.

wintersnowolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wintersnowolf
epicfal wrote:This is ADORABLE. I don't normally wear yellow, but for this shirt, I would.

Thanks so much for the kind words!

WinterSnoWolf

dimitrirascalov

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dimitrirascalov
Re: That was good food

Oh pugs.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Dog Dreams
avhienda01 wrote:My favorite was the red, brown, and white combo, but this works lovely as well

I rather liked that one too, but this seemed to be the most popular. Glad you like this too

twiliteoni wrote:I really love this, I just wish there was a little more variety of what is inside the dream bubbles, like maybe a cat, hydrant, bone and mailman instead of 3 animals and a mailman. Variety is good!

This is still adorable!! Nice job!

Thanks twiliteoni! I like variety too, but in this design they're all there because the dog is chasing them in his sleep, kind of like this feller. Glad you find it adorable!

mswaney wrote:LOVE!

Thanks!

yellowflower wrote:I think the dream bubbles are perfect... the dog's little legs are wiggling, so he's dreaming about chasing things. My dog doesn't really chase hydrants or bones... unless someone throws them.

Yup, you got the idea, thanks yellowflower!

wheeliebobby wrote:I really love the shirt with the blue shirt. It really brings out the design!

Glad you approve the choice, thanks wheeliebobby!

Vote!

gement

cherylfrancis wrote:I find the 'rule' book to be quite laughable. It's hit and miss when it comes to the rules. I like this shirt. Artists are known to break the rules. If not, all art would be the same. Keep pushing, my fellow artists!!

You have to understand the rules before you understand when it's useful to break them.

Woot cannot sell a shirt that uses any photo or specific prior image unless it can get the rights to that image. If you go look at the submission page for non-Derby designs, they have a question about whether you used any other art, and if you have the rights, and explain why.

There are images free for use, there are images that can be licensed legitimately. There are fine distinctions of copyright law. BUT.
When people entering the Derby don't even read far enough to get "6 colors, no gradients, show where the design will be placed on the shirt," the Wootlords are right to cut the hassle and say "No photos. Period."

98% of what people want to trace will be unacceptable, and freehand drawing is a perfectly reasonable requirement for an art competition to ask for.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: The butcher's dog

Though one could argue that these are sausage links, it may face rejection under the 'no hot dogs' rule. Shame, as it's executed quite well.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
BootsBoots wrote:I am in complete agreement with this statement. Love it.

Yay. Someone who's taste + humour I admire immesely agreed with me on the internet! This makes me happier than it probably should. =)

riveroffeathers

Re: Dog in the Moon Light

This is really cute ^^

gement

rhochstrasser wrote:I don't get the rules either. How could the silhouetted Peanuts characters not have also been too close to copyrighted material?

It's tricky, I'm afraid. And yes, the moderation on the Derby isn't always consistent. Sometimes they let through things that make me say, "Hmm." However, every time they've rejected something as over the line, I've agreed.

One factor in the recent "Teacher Talks Funny" is that the shirt is making specific commentary on the original, because it's saying the teacher sounded that way because she was playing the trombone. That makes it much easier to classify something as parody.

If I ever try to do a design with a big pop culture reference, I'll do so knowing it might trip the copyright alarm. This is a whole branch of law about picky subjective judgments, so it's really not predictable. Do keep trying!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Graveyard Snack

I hope that during a real zombie apocalypse, our furry friends rise to the challenge and clean the mess up as only they know how .

A few people already beat me to the punch on this, but I'd had this sketched for awhile and was excited to be able to sub it. :D Enjoy!

riveroffeathers

Re: Just a Little Husky

This is SO CUTE! :D I love Huskies!

bassanimation

Re: Dogpile

Ahhh this is adorable!! I want to be a part of this dogpile. <3

bassanimation

Re: Fetch

Man poor Death, he should wear pants and thick boots when he's on the job. It would help prevent things like this.

+1! Awesome!

gement

gwo wrote:I deeply appreciate your feedback. I wonder if they allow changing design or I have to delete the entry and re-submit all over again?

You need to resubmit, sadly. It prevents bait-and-switch but also means you have to get people to revote if you make corrections. I think it might be worth it in this case, though!

gement

Re: Go Get Help!

OK, I'm laughing. Stupid dog.

The way you've communicated the well here is brilliant.