78%
4%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz

The writers have so much fun with the artist bios.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

I think Woot ran out of space for the list of shirts in the reckoning; Ramy has 5 in there currently.

williehsu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages williehsu

He didn't take into account the small inner circle!

Craigmar

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Craigmar

That looks like Dark Helmet.

Medicfrost

quality posts: 51 Private Messages Medicfrost
williehsu wrote:He didn't take into account the small inner circle!

Or subtract the womp rat sized exhaust port.

shields020

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shields020

I like it, but can't accept it. The Death Star's volume is overestimated as the divet-like focusing cone detracts from the calculated volume.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

If this was a real substitute teacher, he wouldn't have made it that far through his lesson plan.

In fact, I bet that's why things like that small air shaft allowed Luke to destroy the deathstar in the first place.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

You start with the basics, A, B, C, and than by the end of the day you're teaching about deathstar circumference, blaster shields and the proper ratio of bathrooms to star destroyer length.

jeevesofrkdia

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jeevesofrkdia

How odd. ABCs and then vector calculus in the same room... Definitely a substitute who has no idea what the kids are actually learning and is trying to show off.

mayh658

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mayh658

I think this is a "Spaceballs" shirt more than a "Star Wars" shirt. My evidence:

1. The oversize helmet and glasses suggest Helmet over Vader. And Helmet wore a tie.

2. The chalkboard shows a pie chart. A pizza pie chart. Pizza the Hut!

3. The formula on the chalkboard is obviously a representation of Ludicrous Speed.

4. The "A-B-C-D-E" is clearly a veiled reference to the access code of the shield surrounding Planet Druidia (and President Scroob's luggage).

5. The desk is full of merchandise advertising the sequel - "Spaceballs II - The Search for More Money".

suteishichic

quality posts: 21 Private Messages suteishichic

Stay on target! Stay on target!

equazcion

quality posts: 65 Private Messages equazcion

Who gets to explain the math first?

Have you been eating that sandwich again?

almsforoblivion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages almsforoblivion

The circle is now complete; when he left school, he was but the learner, now he is the master.

Actually, there are a lot of lines this works with.

"Luke, you do not realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength...you can ace your SATs and get into Harvard!"

Bandrik

quality posts: 73 Private Messages Bandrik

Before you die, there is something you must know about us, Lone Starr. I am you father's, brother's, nephew's, cousin's former room mate.

Best movie evar. Just sayin'.

Now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is dumb.

sporeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sporeman
mayh658 wrote:I think this is a "Spaceballs" shirt more than a "Star Wars" shirt. My evidence:

1. The oversize helmet and glasses suggest Helmet over Vader. And Helmet wore a tie.

3. The formula on the chalkboard is obviously a representation of Ludicrous Speed.

4. The "A-B-C-D-E" is clearly a veiled reference to the access code of the shield surrounding Planet Druidia (and President Scroob's luggage).

5. The desk is full of merchandise advertising the sequel - "Spaceballs II - The Search for More Money".

you win...

kaedex99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kaedex99

Vader's cape fell all the way to the ground and was epic. The cape in this design lacks the awesome. -:/ I can't find anything I like about the design. And the sad cape makes me sad. ;-; That's all.

BensonM

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BensonM
equazcion wrote:Who gets to explain the math first?

Method of Discs.

wooters.us FTW!

Big Ogre Cudgels!
2009 Nov 19
2009 May 15

atarango

quality posts: 6 Private Messages atarango

It is the derivation of the formula for the volume of a sphere by taking the area of a circle and rotating it 360 degrees about the x-axis. It utilizes differential calculus.

MigratingCoconut

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MigratingCoconut

Not bad, but Mr. Chalkboard label is missing.

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15

Somehow, using the powers of the almighty M. C. Escher, his cape is in front of the table, while his foot is behind it. I wish I had a cape like that.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

Bosque

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bosque

I love Star Wars, but I already got my fix with the vastly superior bantha shirt. I feel like if anyone but Ramyb made this it wouldn't be here today. Not one of his stronger works.

chrisprender

quality posts: 312 Private Messages chrisprender

It looks like that pie chart is fully operational.

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
chrisprender wrote:It looks like that pie chart is fully operational.

To paraphrase Obi-Wan Kenobi, "That's no pie chart."

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

chrisprender

quality posts: 312 Private Messages chrisprender

Some men just want to watch the world learn.

mogthemoogle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mogthemoogle
Assassin15 wrote:Somehow, using the powers of the almighty M. C. Escher, his cape is in front of the table, while his foot is behind it. I wish I had a cape like that.

I've seen that kind of cape...it's the kind that wraps around your body. Like a cloak. Or any other bit of cloth -_-

gXn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gXn
Assassin15 wrote:Somehow, using the powers of the almighty M. C. Escher, his cape is in front of the table, while his foot is behind it. I wish I had a cape like that.

its not that odd, actually. the cape edge is a 3D arc, and it looks like it might be caught on the table corner. plus, he has THE FORCE.

i'll belay my scorn as any Escher reference is a good reference, even the bad ones.

hyde244

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hyde244

"Now I am the Master."

finalhour

quality posts: 0 Private Messages finalhour
mayh658 wrote:I think this is a "Spaceballs" shirt more than a "Star Wars" shirt. My evidence:

Maybe, but the pie chart is a deathstar soooo.....fail

-Nate K

gXn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gXn
finalhour wrote:Maybe, but the pie chart is a deathstar soooo.....fail

5 points vs 1 point with a misused ellipsis; you = fail.

pharmacide

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pharmacide

He's teaching everyone that good is dumb.

asher0716

quality posts: 1 Private Messages asher0716

To everyone who so arrogantly, and often ignorantly, criticized the creator of this shirt...look who just won top 3!

It is so ridiculous how many out there think so highly of their "critique of art" when they apparently don't understand true art at all. Since when was art ever in perfect and life-like proportions and perspective? If anything, THAT'S EXACTLY what makes art! Otherwise we'd just take real-life pictures and put them on a shirt.

Hey Ramyb, good job dealing with the criticism, and even taking some into consideration. Because now, this shirt represents not only an awesome Star Wars reference, but the ability of an artist to stick by what he felt like designing, because that is the beauty of art, whether for woot shirt derbies or Sistene chapels.

jonom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonom

as a maths teacher who has a collection of nerdy t-shirts so as I can get away with wearing t-shirts to school I just have to buy this!

jenjenpjh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenjenpjh

jenjenpjh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenjenpjh

Its the volume of a sphere!

holly2978

quality posts: 1 Private Messages holly2978

love it!+2

lipophilia

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lipophilia

I really wish I had been around during the pre-vote, design development discussion.
MAYBE it's not too late to make the change.
MAYBE it was intentional (and that's why Vader lost out).
However, the bottom line is wrong.
The volume of a sphere is:
4/3 x pi x r^3 ... not r^2
The area of a sphere is
4 x pi x r^2
Generally, r is length, r^2 is area, r^3 is volume.
If the shirts have not yet been printed, maybe it's not too late to fix this.
(Think Geek once fixed a missing double bond on a chemical structure of capsaicin.)

lipophilia

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lipophilia

... just noticed that in the original post, the "enlarged" part above the actual design has r^3.
(But did not see discussion of the error in the last line in the actual design.)

jbabbie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbabbie
sporeman wrote:you win...

Use the Schwartz Lonestar

f14scott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages f14scott
hyde244 wrote:"Now I am the Master."

Now, I am the Mathter. /lisp