Cerrida

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Cerrida

Are those stars in the background? Maybe they're space subs! But why are the hammerheads electrical?

mooglechocobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mooglechocobo

You mean there's a black Stormy?

keijogirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keijogirl
phelgon wrote:Seem a little appropriate for a sub-themed shirt, no? Now if only it came in red...

OHhhh! I get it now!

That's a pretty obscure reference, but an awesome one :3

mm1sssw

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mm1sssw
maverickmila wrote:Yes, submarines have anchors. Even nuclear subs.

But the anchors don't look like that....if you can keep em'. Inside tuber joke.

elviswind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elviswind

Cool design . . . in for one. It's been a while since there's been something different and interesting here.

t4stywh34t

quality posts: 1 Private Messages t4stywh34t
elviswind wrote:Cool design . . . in for one. It's been a while since there's been something different and interesting here.

YES. Seriously, I'd given up all hope that shirt.woot was able to print anything that didn't have huge googly eyes or cats or bunnies. I love this design.

Also, for those of you complaining about black, it's not 100º everywhere in the US right now. *coughNew Yorkcough*.

popegonzo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages popegonzo
mantanasoss wrote:It's nice that the artist took some time out of his busy schedule as kicker for the Chicago Bears to create this shirt.

I'm not sure if you used "kicker for the Chicago Bears" off the cuff or if Robbie Gould has some level of nerd cred, but I was a little disappointed you didn't say "punter for the Minnesota Vikings." Unless you ARE the punter for the Minnesota Vikings. Which actually wouldn't surprise me at all.

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba

The nose-mounted .50 is a nice touch on the, err, USS Narwhale.

ffpicasso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ffpicasso
popegonzo wrote:I'm not sure if you used "kicker for the Chicago Bears" off the cuff or if Robbie Gould has some level of nerd cred, but I was a little disappointed you didn't say "punter for the Minnesota Vikings." Unless you ARE the punter for the Minnesota Vikings. Which actually wouldn't surprise me at all.

The Bears' kicker's name IS Robbie Gould.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 151 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

t4stywh34t wrote:YES. Seriously, I'd given up all hope that shirt.woot was able to print anything that didn't have huge googly eyes or cats or bunnies. I love this design.

Also, for those of you complaining about black, it's not 100º everywhere in the US right now. *coughNew Yorkcough*.

colegrove713

quality posts: 2 Private Messages colegrove713
keijogirl wrote:OHhhh! I get it now!

That's a pretty obscure reference, but an awesome one :3

Okay, I read all the comments to try and understand this shirt. The "Red" combined with "October" makes me think it's a reference to The Hunt for Red October.

But really? If that's all it is, I'm not impressed by the posters alluding to knowing but not sharing. Definitely not buying this shirt.

jimmytime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmytime

I don't think there's any real joke to 'get' here, it's just an interesting sub-themed shirt. I'm tempted to order one because my band is named Crazy Ivan after the Hunt for Red October, so anything subtle, sub-themed like this would be kick ass to wear on stage

popegonzo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages popegonzo
ffpicasso wrote:The Bears' kicker's name IS Robbie Gould.

I'm not sure where I gave the impression I didn't know Robbie Gould was their kicker, but yes, I know What I don't know is whether he has nerd cred, while Chris Kluwe is public about his nerdery. (Yay comment tangents!)

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote

They're the subs taking Moo-Mar Ka-Daffy to the Island of Deposed Dictators

lokitehtrickster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lokitehtrickster
BaconWishmeyer wrote:Not everything is a joke, dude.

Surprisingly, not every shirt woot sells needs to be "ZOMG!, I PLAY THE VIDEO GAME (or watch this TV show) THAT THIS SHIRT REFERENCES! GOTTA HAVE IT SO MY BUDS WILL CHORTLE WHILE WE DO OUR LARP!!"

Subtlety is a good thing.

That's good, and I agree. Hell, 9/10 of the shirts I've bought were jokeless, refrence-less artistic things. But... This isn't one of those (Discovery of Fire, Aztec Sunset). So I just figured that it was some super obscure reference to a particular scene in an underground movie, or a joke I didn't get.

I guess it's the Hunt for Red October, but I don't know.

grenade01

quality posts: 5 Private Messages grenade01

You guys are all super wrong, it has possibly the most wittiest joke ever in the history of shirt jokes.

So witty, even I don't get it... And I'm more smarter than you can imagine.

Anyway I think it looks rad so I'm in for 1.

Also it hasn't been hot at all in California so I'm down for black all day and all night... possibly part of dusk and/or dawn as well.

jwilday

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jwilday

Well, I don't get it either. I stared at it for a while, thought about it, stared at it some more...then I figured, I would rather be staring at it on a Hooters girl. At least I could tell my wife... "no Honey, I am trying to figure out what that shirt is all about..."
so at least there is value in that I guess

cedykman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cedykman
ellenbhawk wrote:Cute - but it's 101 degrees outside and you're selling a black shirt? You couldn't go as far as navy?

is not 101 degrees everywhere in the shirt.woot world!

graized

quality posts: 0 Private Messages graized
popegonzo wrote:I'm not sure where I gave the impression I didn't know Robbie Gould was their kicker, but yes, I know What I don't know is whether he has nerd cred, while Chris Kluwe is public about his nerdery. (Yay comment tangents!)

What you did miss, was that the creator of this design shares the same name as the Bears' kicker, thereby making your reference to Kluwe seem a bit "I don't get it."

bblhed

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bblhed

The Bubble Head in me wants one, yet the A-ganger in me says if I buy one I should be slapped with a wrench. What to do?

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15

Do submarines normally have anchors? I thought they always had to keep moving, like sharks or something.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
bblhed wrote:The Bubble Head in me wants one, yet the A-ganger in me says if I buy one I should be slapped with a wrench. What to do?

Buy one, don't listen to the little voices.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Gladeye

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Gladeye

Show me the document that says everything is supposed to make sense. It's art. It doesn't have to make sense. It just needs to be enjoyed, and I like it. I'm not interested in Harry Potter and Chewbacca references. I dig originality. Unclench yourselves a little. This shirt isn't meant for the norms, I guess.

rockmsockmdockum

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rockmsockmdockum

I find the reference here to be incredibly sub-tle.

cantstopthesignal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cantstopthesignal

I'd really love a Chewbacca shirt.

msklzannie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages msklzannie
phelgon wrote:Seem a little appropriate for a sub-themed shirt, no? Now if only it came in red...

... or if there was even just a little bit of red on the shirt.

Total woot orders: 189
Bag o.f Crap: 12/25/2010, 1/25/2011, 6/15/2011, 11/9/2011, 12/25/2011, 3/22/3012, 4/26/2012

amoldd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amoldd

Ewwww

twicereflected

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twicereflected

Formula for Woot tees. Take one meme, smash it with another meme, possibly add a pun, and sell it to the muggles.

But once in a while you get something a little different, and people PWNY and moan.

I'm sure tomorrow we'll be back to kitties and video game references.

PS How long is the cookie monster gonna live? That one's funny in a Danny Tanner kind of way, i.e., not.

mm1sssw

bblhed wrote:The Bubble Head in me wants one, yet the A-ganger in me says if I buy one I should be slapped with a wrench. What to do?

Your an A ganger. You wont even feel it. Now go clean the sans tank.

mm1sssw

Assassin15 wrote:Do submarines normally have anchors? I thought they always had to keep moving, like sharks or something.

We can neither confirm or deny whether subs have anchors. Do men have nipples?

ProfHotpants

quality posts: 49 Private Messages ProfHotpants

Since I'm the one who picked this design, I can tell you that I didn't think it had a joke to it, or a punchline, or a pun, or a pop cultural reference. It's just a really beautiful piece of artwork that looks amazing on a shirt. The print is gorgeous.

Also, submarines and sharks are freaking cool.

talkinrock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages talkinrock

I feel awfully stupid asking this, but can somebody PRETTY PLEASE with a cherry on top explain this design to me? I know that "it ruins the fun of the design" or whatever) to explain it, but I wanna buy it, except I can't buy a shirt I don't understand! And please, guys, do NOT tell me "Well, don't buy it if you don't understand it." Because I really wanna buy this shirt, I just need it explained to me (sadly...)

P.S. - This is my first post ever on the Shirt.Woot! forums!!! Woot to that (get my "pun", anyone?)!

twicereflected

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twicereflected
talkinrock wrote:I feel awfully stupid asking this, but can somebody PRETTY PLEASE with a cherry on top explain this design to me? I know that "it ruins the fun of the design" or whatever) to explain it, but I wanna buy it, except I can't buy a shirt I don't understand! And please, guys, do NOT tell me "Well, don't buy it if you don't understand it." Because I really wanna buy this shirt, I just need it explained to me (sadly...)

P.S. - This is my first post ever on the Shirt.Woot! forums!!! Woot to that (get my "pun", anyone?)!

I'm not sure there is an explanation - it's just cool to look at. Hopefully that's enough!

gardnerp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gardnerp
twicereflected wrote:I'm not sure there is an explanation - it's just cool to look at. Hopefully that's enough!

Indeed. Please buy this shirt to support shirts without puns! No more puns! No more puns!

talkinrock

EDIT: Please disregard this post, as I accidentally double-posted, and I'm not sure how to delete a post...

talkinrock

twicereflected wrote:I'm not sure there is an explanation - it's just cool to look at. Hopefully that's enough!

Well, from what everyone is saying, there is an explanation behind it, but I'm not really sure if that's true or not... Hopefully someone will explain this to me/us if there is, in fact, some subtle meaning behind this design.

But anyway, yeah! It is really nice to look at, and an overall amazing design! I just wish, however, that this wasn't a black shirt, as I already have (literally) TONS of those! Or, they could've added some color to the design, to possibly liven it up a bit.

Anyway, SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE DESIGN!!! PLEASE!!! The suspense is friggin' killing me! Uggghhhh... :P

jwilday

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jwilday

Well, it might be enough, if you don't mind being asked "whats your shirt mean" a thousand times a day. I guess I need either more artsey or more clever friends... or more patience... in order to wear this shirt

N2ndCity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages N2ndCity

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure those are bubbles, not stars, in the background. Occam's razor ftw.

Gladeye

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Gladeye
N2ndCity wrote:Hey guys, I'm pretty sure those are bubbles, not stars, in the background. Occam's razor ftw.

There's no explanation. Some things just are. T-shirt designs don't need to reference anything or have a message to be attractive.

Brad3326

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Brad3326

I also really like this shirt, but again I feel that there's something I'm missing. Be it a joke, explanation, whatever. Maybe it's because the zoomed image is still fairly small? Is there anyway we could get a larger version?

But if someone does have this figured out, let us know! And if it's just a cool design, that's fine by me, I'll probably get one either way, just want to know for sure.

Even with ProfHotPant's reassurance, there might be something here. But the design is awesome.