WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

It's time once again for the Double-Take Derby, when we here at Shirt.Woot give you artists a chance to kick back and relax as we let the fans vote again on shirts that didn't quite make the cut before. Each week our Art Directors give a smattering of shirts that didn't print in the Derby an Honorable Mention, setting them aside for another shot at glory some other day. Well, that day's come, and now we need you to put aside the sting of voting for a shirt that didn't make it last time and vote again. You never know!

Designers: if in the meantime you've opted out of including your design in the Double-Take Derby, or sold/submitted your Honorable Mention design somewhere else, email us at shirt@woot.com by noon tomorrow and let us know. Any design found submitted for voting to another site, sold on another site, or for sale on another site will not be eligible for the Double-Take Derby and will be removed from consideration. Because we're jealous like that.

And, as a special gift to you, we're letting you in on a sneak peek at next week's theme: Double Bagged! Have you ever ordered a shirt from us? You know that neat bag that keeps it safe and sound from the filth of the delivery truck on its way to you? That thing didn't just materialize one day; it was designed. And we figure it's about time to update things, so we're issuing the challenge to YOU to update our shipping bags. Go nuts with your designs, but know this:

• All submissions must use our bag template in AI, EPS, or PSD format.
  • Designs can use only three ink colors: black, Shirt.Woot blue, and Shirt.Woot yellow.
  • The bag must be white.
  • Designs must incorporate our exclamation-point-in-a-circle mark, included in each template. This can be scaled but not stretched, skewed, or otherwise altered. The exclamation point must be white on a solid background of black, Shirt.Woot blue, or Shirt.Woot yellow.
  • No text, except for our exclamation-point-in-a-circle logo. Not even the words "Shirt.Woot."
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will receive a flat fee of $1000 and no commissions.
  • You'll be credited by name on the printed bags. Do not use the strip across the top of the template, which is set aside for this purpose.
  • We're not necessarily looking for Shirt.Woot-themed designs. As long as it follows the rules and includes our mark, it's eligible.
  • We reserve the right to reject anything that doesn't meet our standards or reflect on our company in ways we don't like, so don't get all butt-hurt about it.
Pay close attention to the Terms & Conditions when submitting: we will own your winning design forever. If you don't like that, don't submit.

Quality Posts

• (11:02 AM, 8/27/2011) lucky1988 found a template from last year for you!
  • (4:30 PM, 8/27/2011) [STAFF] tgentry approves the template.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

If Woot remembers to include the HMs from the Retro Audio derby they skipped last time, here's my only entry:

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Alrighty! The double take! YAY. I have 4 designs in the running.

Including the last Double take derby's Retro Audio design that didn't get put up. =D

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Woohoo! Double-take!

::collapses::

Collab with Marzipanapple:

And six solos:

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Bag derby!

Maybe this time I'll do better than 4th place and no HM...

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

Yeah, yeah. Doubletake!

I think these are mine.

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51

Just one for me:

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

If it is for a bag are we allowed to do gradients or transparencies?

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Ah nice!!:D

I think I have 4 this round...

Vote!

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets

We get to run with the big dogs this time! Exciting, but quite daunting.

This is a collaboration with Ignorant.

And no, I didn't give him his nickname.

Nothing follows.

lloyd2002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloyd2002

Just a question (for shirts - not the bag):

Why do we have to do halftones for the shirt comp and design detail if we've got an AI file (which Woot says to submit with gradients, and not halftones).

Seems pretty stupid since there's no easy way to create *good* halftones in illustrator, and the files you create w/ the halftones are only for viewing.

Am I missing something?

Is there an easy way to quickly do good halftones (which then just have to be undone for the submitted AI file)?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

thatrobert wrote:If Woot remembers to include the HMs from the Retro Audio derby they skipped last time, here's my only entry:

Retro Audio should be in there this time.

If you weren't here for the last bag derby, or wouldn't mind a refresher, check it out here. I'd say the number one issue last time was people destroying the woot logo in some way. Rotating is OK as the logo is intact, but placing something above it, skewing it, or otherwise altering the shape or color is not. You should have at least one unaltered Woot logo on your bag. Secondary "incidental" Woot logos are fine.

Another important thing to remember is that we reserve the right to reject an entry at any time because we don't think it represents the company well. That includes designs that might be in the running for 1st through 3rd, all the way up until the derby ends.

No gradients or transparencies.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
tgentry wrote:Retro Audio should be in there this time.

If you weren't here for the last bag derby, or wouldn't mind a refresher, check it out here. I'd say the number one issue last time was people destroying the woot logo in some way. Rotating is OK as the logo is intact, but placing something above it, skewing it, or otherwise altering the shape or color is not. You should have at least one unaltered Woot logo on your bag. Secondary "incidental" Woot logos are fine.

Another important thing to remember is that we reserve the right to reject an entry at any time because we don't think it represents the company well. That includes designs that might be in the running for 1st through 3rd.

No gradients or transparencies.

Your link goes nowhere

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked

So is the bag derby instead of shirts or along side shirts?

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian

I will have twoooo:

tgentry

Staff

lyonscc wrote:Your link goes nowhere

Try it now, should be working.

tgentry

Staff

blanked wrote:So is the bag derby instead of shirts or along side shirts?

Nope, these won't be printed into shirts.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
lloyd2002 wrote:Just a question (for shirts - not the bag):

Why do we have to do halftones for the shirt comp and design detail if we've got an AI file (which Woot says to submit with gradients, and not halftones).

Seems pretty stupid since there's no easy way to create *good* halftones in illustrator, and the files you create w/ the halftones are only for viewing.

Am I missing something?

Is there an easy way to quickly do good halftones (which then just have to be undone for the submitted AI file)?

Since woot doesn't print gradients they don't want you showing the buying public gradients, which are much finer than halftones and could skew voting.

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

So, Double Bagged is the theme for tshirts next week? Or will the competition be posted for the bags?

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement

Here's my one and only. Given that I've only entered once, I'm just thrilled to be here.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

My brain ran out of juice this week so it is great timing. Now I get to have a goof-off night, Source Code and lasagna. :D

I've always wanted to design a Woot bag though, so next week will be really fun.

Can the bag graphic be portrait or is it strictly landscape?

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
tgentry wrote:Nope, these won't be printed into shirts.

I think the question is:

1) Is next week's derby the bag derby (and no shirt derby until 9/9)

OR

2) Are there two derbys next week (a shirt derby and a bag derby)

tgentry

Staff

lyonscc wrote:

1) Is next week's derby the bag derby (and no shirt derby until 9/9)

This one. No shirt derby next week.

cherylfrancis

tgentry wrote:This one. No shirt derby next week.

All righty, then. Thank you!!

tgentry

Staff

Spiritgreen wrote: is it strictly landscape?

Seems like most people did landscape by default last time, but we don't see anything wrong with you doing a portrait orientation.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Regarding the bag derby (#215), last time I did a quick graphic of all of the #1 derby shirts up to the bag derby (#107). Needless to say, since we're over 100 derbies since that one, I am NOT doing that again! But I want to share it with everyone since it honors a lot of the designers that aren't here anymore.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
omnitarian wrote:I will have twoooo:

I love Whyyyy?!

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

Here's mine for this week:

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

I have two:

Fairy tale derby:

and role reversal:

Fun times.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

I've got four in the double take:

doubletake.jpg by Ape Lad, on Flickr

Unless there's one I don't remember.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock

will HM from th dog derby be included or saved for the next double take?

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69

If ever a derby called for taco overload, this is it. Okay, maybe the Mexico derby. But I would love to receive my shirts in a package that reflects the current taco flavored culture of shirt.woot. Although it has been somewhat slacking lately...

tgentry

Staff

midgerock wrote:will HM from th dog derby be included or saved for the next double take?

Dogs will be a part of the next DT. Unless we mess up, like we did with Retro Audio, in which case it will be part of the next, next DT. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520

How do u know that you are in the double take before it's released tomorrow

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Spiritgreen wrote:Now I get to have a goof-off night, Source Code and lasagna. :D

Creepy. Tonight is probably Source Code and lasagna for me too...

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

I think I just have this one

also, the bag design sounds pretty fun! I will probably slop something out for that

cherylfrancis

Will these bags be screened or actually printed? I am wondering about gradients. Can we use gradients?

jesseroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jesseroo

Is there a new way to get that wrinkled bag template? I found the old link for it, but it's no longer available there.

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

Those are mine!

I hope for better luck this time!

cherylfrancis

cherylfrancis wrote:Will these bags be screened or actually printed? I am wondering about gradients. Can we use gradients?

Never mind...shuffles sheepishly away...it's in the rules! DOH!