2%
2%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

bluejester

quality posts: 558 Private Messages bluejester

Nothing like a shirt that reminds me of a dark tale right as I'm trying to get to bed. Thanks for keeping my insomnia firmly intact woot.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

My favorite part of the write up:

“I really don’t like this much moral conflict before bed.”

Yet, we check for woot tees every night. So much daily moral conflict in the span of seconds, on some nights.

CivlDX

quality posts: 7 Private Messages CivlDX

That bird appears to be pretty full of himself...

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked

Why does a kid know the name of an anti-psychotic drug?

Edit: and it doesn't say what they had for dinner. Considering the earlier cannibalism that is worrying me.

intothemoooon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages intothemoooon

This shirt really confuses me. Am I missing something?
What's up with the red string? Is the bird a believer in Kabbalah?

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz

Well, this sure isn't your father's partridge in a pear tree.

Medicfrost

quality posts: 51 Private Messages Medicfrost

That's a really unhealthy root system. I'm surprised that tree hasn't uprooted yet.

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer

Yikes! This kind of gives a different meaning to "and they lived happily ever after". Guess the Brothers Grimm really do deserve their dark reputation.

sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge

Oooh! I can't decide if this would look better on my chest or my wall. Does anyone have the link to the instructions to frame one of these? I know it was posted a few months ago, and I can't seem to find it

ElanorRigby

quality posts: 14 Private Messages ElanorRigby

I didn't really notice the skeletal hands at the roots until after the write-up. Nice touch!

Let's see Disney get a hold of this fairy tale...

Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun...

regal8lager

quality posts: 43 Private Messages regal8lager

The link from "This shirt tells the world" is sooo gonna give me nightmares now...thanks w00t!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Naveronski

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Naveronski

Have to love the timing. Woot does a shirt with red leaves while I watch #txfire burn around my great state.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
spilzer wrote:Yikes! This is not one of your "and they lived happily ever after" fairy tales. Guess the Brothers Grimm really do deserve their dark reputation.

Is it sad that I cheered when I first read The Little Mermaid and discovered she died at the end?

That being said, I love Grimm fairy tales.

collinvh

quality posts: 61 Private Messages collinvh

Nice choice Woot! I love the color choices on this shirt and the way the blue flows.

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15

Is that one of those birds from the Disney Jungle Book, sitting on the very dead tree? That's the first thing I thought of when I saw it...

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer
sacrerouge wrote:Oooh! I can't decide if this would look better on my chest or my wall. Does anyone have the link to the instructions to frame one of these? I know it was posted a few months ago, and I can't seem to find it

Here are a couple of tutorials:

eHow

Instructables

And some retailers who sell t-shirt frames:

Michaels Crafts

Urban Outfitters

Amazon

There was a good thread on Woot about it some time ago, but I can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking.

AHA! found it: Shirt into Hangable Art.

Medicfrost

quality posts: 51 Private Messages Medicfrost

This must be the tree from Poltergeist

lonelypond

quality posts: 414 Private Messages lonelypond

Grimm, yes + darn creepy. Wow. Bird has a very determined waiting attitude amid the delicate blue greys of despair.

smurfage

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smurfage

Am I the only one who saw Patrickspens' Ancient Oak at first glance? It looks like a dead moonlit version.

littleclyde

quality posts: 16 Private Messages littleclyde

Thanks for the pick, Woot! So glad I could do my part to make sure this creepy tale gets out to the masses.

Lisa007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lisa007
intothemoooon wrote:This shirt really confuses me. Am I missing something?
What's up with the red string? Is the bird a believer in Kabbalah?

if you're not familiar with the tale, the shirt won't make much sense. the red ribbon is one of the gifts that is given to the bird for singing its' tale of woe

edit:oops I'm mistaken, it was red shoes not a red ribbon, haven't heard the story in years, sorry

wiki has a decent summary of the story found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Juniper_Tree_%28fairy_tale%29

sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge
spilzer wrote:Here are a couple of tutorials:

eHow

Instructables

And some retailers who sell t-shirt frames:

Michaels Crafts

Urban Outfitters

Amazon

There was a good thread on Woot about it some time ago, but I can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for posting these

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987

I always loved "The Juniper Tree". I wasn't an emo kid. I just loved macabre stories.

"The Juniper Tree" might be the one fairy tale that is completely, utterly impossible for Disney to adapt. There's absolutely no wiggle room in the plot for anything resembling G-rated.

Rambling aside, this is the first tree shirt in a while that I can get behind. Well done, littleclyde!

Satoshi4649

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Satoshi4649

I double dare you to click the link on the woot write up.

This shirt tells the world: “Meh. I’ve seen scarier."

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis

I'm always curious to know in which Derby each Editors' Choice was originally entered - the same goes for Double-Take Derby winners. Would it be possible to add that information to the descriptions of these shirts, or is there a way I can find it without combing through dozens of past Derbies? I don't follow the Derbies very closely, but I think knowing the theme the artist had in mind when drawing a design would add to my appreciation of it.

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
missmelis wrote:I'm always curious to know in which Derby each Editors' Choice was originally entered - the same goes for Double-Take Derby winners. Would it be possible to add that information to the descriptions of these shirts, or is there a way I can find it without combing through dozens of past Derbies? I don't follow the Derbies very closely, but I think knowing the theme the artist had in mind when drawing a design would add to my appreciation of it.

This one was from fairy tale derby

seraph76

quality posts: 1 Private Messages seraph76

I was so sad when this shirt didn't make it into the fog. I bugged everyone I knew with a woot account to vote for it in the derby. The Juniper Tree is my favorite horrible fairy tale about cannibalism and being crushed by a millstone; littleclyde has made this into a hauntingly elegant image.

I bought two. And am considering buying a third. This is by far my favorite design that I've seen on woot, and I hope it stays around for a long time.

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
regal8lager wrote:The link from "This shirt tells the world" is sooo gonna give me nightmares now...thanks w00t!

GAH... WHY, after reading that, did I THEN decide to go click on that link? GAHHH. *shudders*

ETA:

blanked wrote:This one was from fairy tale derby

Thanks! Took me a minute to see your post, as I was busy trying to *unsee* the scary link before I go to bed. :-o

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

lyonessnyc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonessnyc

Oh crap! WhywhyWHY did I click on that "scarier" link? Nice effect, freaked me the eff out. ::shudder:: I don't have to read kanji to get creeped out by that page. Whoof! (And I am also a big Grimm fan-- the stories are far better in the original versions!)

lutherann

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lutherann
bluejester wrote:Nothing like a shirt that reminds me of a dark tale right as I'm trying to get to bed. Thanks for keeping my insomnia firmly intact woot.

I don't suggest clicking on the "scarier" link... I should have known better.

thaskaman

quality posts: 15 Private Messages thaskaman
Satoshi4649 wrote:I double dare you to click the link on the woot write up.

I've seen that comic web series somewhere else before Woot, but its a rad idea

glad woot put it up

nice touch with the story
and I'm in for 1 as this will be another good October shirt to the collection!

cheers!

lutherann

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lutherann
missmelis wrote:Thanks! Took me a minute to see your post, as I was busy trying to *unsee* the scary link before I go to bed. :-o

If you figure out a way to "unsee" it, please let me know. My heart did something that I don't quite know how to explain and I'm pretty sure I lost at least a few hours of my life on that one.

airjordants

quality posts: 0 Private Messages airjordants

Damn, I'm in a dark room by myself and that link was totally not what I expected. =/

Krumlov

quality posts: 44 Private Messages Krumlov

I really like this design! I would like it even more if the red leaves weren't so subtle.

Need me some Boxes Of Condoms!

StrayNostalgia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages StrayNostalgia
regal8lager wrote:The link from "This shirt tells the world" is sooo gonna give me nightmares now...thanks w00t!

Wow. That was ugly.

I screamed and slammed my laptop lid shut. Only, some of my fingers were still there. I nearly whizzed in my pants, busted my computer, and mangled my hand in the span of 2 seconds.

greatbonsai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greatbonsai
lutherann wrote:If you figure out a way to "unsee" it, please let me know. My heart did something that I don't quite know how to explain and I'm pretty sure I lost at least a few hours of my life on that one.

Yes. This. Both times with the animation... Nearly crawled up the back of my couch, especially the second time. Glad I'm alone, or I'd feel like a bigger wimp right now.

bluejester

greatbonsai wrote:Yes. This. Both times with the animation... Nearly crawled up the back of my couch, especially the second time. Glad I'm alone, or I'd feel like a bigger wimp right now.

Yeah! Like a sucker I was all, "What's with it all being in Japanese?" so I fell for it and scrolled.

If I had been startled any worse, I would have been telling woot that they owed me a new office chair.

bluejester

For those of you who looked at woot's "Scarier" link in the "This tells the world" section, I suggest starting with a dose of nyan cat followed up by massive LOLcat therapy.

paulram01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paulram01

That scared the bejeezus out of me....holy balls.

Satoshi4649 wrote:I double dare you to click the link on the woot write up.