mechevarria

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mechevarria
StrayNostalgia wrote:Wow. That was ugly.

I screamed and slammed my laptop lid shut. Only, some of my fingers were still there. I nearly whizzed in my pants, busted my computer, and mangled my hand in the span of 2 seconds.

Scared the crap outta me, too, but I feel better after having a good laugh over your post. Maybe I can get some sleep now!

sonja711

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sonja711
smurfage wrote:Am I the only one who saw Patrickspens' Ancient Oak at first glance? It looks like a dead moonlit version.

Yep

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

I think that the "Scarier" link proves that woot still has the power to surprise me.

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
lutherann wrote:If you figure out a way to "unsee" it, please let me know. My heart did something that I don't quite know how to explain and I'm pretty sure I lost at least a few hours of my life on that one.

Although what has been seen cannot be unseen, I was able to partially scrub my brain with videos of cute baby animals. Take your pick:
Puppy!
Kitten!
OMGOMGOMGPONIES!!!*

*Not auto-censored by Woot; actually a link to a video about ponies!

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Quality pick, it's like Hallowoot came early.

thaskaman

quality posts: 15 Private Messages thaskaman
smurfage wrote:Am I the only one who saw Patrickspens' Ancient Oak at first glance? It looks like a dead moonlit version.

I wanted to get that shirt as well when it was up. I saw it a day or two late cause i was on a road trip.

Spiritgreen wrote:Quality pick, it's like Hallowoot came early.

But yes, totally so..just on a halloween tip (with a nice dark twist of Grimm)!

endeszbet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages endeszbet
bluejester wrote:Nothing like a shirt that reminds me of a dark tale right as I'm trying to get to bed. Thanks for keeping my insomnia firmly intact woot.

I clicked on the "...but I've seen scarier" link, and the bright red hangul (Korean writing) should have scared me off, but no, I keep scrolling and then BAM! It's that meme I've spent the past few weeks attempting to stay away from. I was just about to go to bed, too...

In all honesty it was more shocking/annoying than scary, but I suppose I needed to read the text to get the full experience.

Woot, I am now getting nosleep.

alexandra29

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alexandra29
Lisa007 wrote:if you're not familiar with the tale, the shirt won't make much sense. the red ribbon is one of the gifts that is given to the bird for singing its' tale of woe

edit:oops I'm mistaken, it was red shoes not a red ribbon, haven't heard the story in years, sorry

wiki has a decent summary of the story found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Juniper_Tree_%28fairy_tale%29

I thought it was a gift first, too, but I think it is the ribbon used to, um, hold the little kid's head on.

The gifts were, I think, a necklace, a pair of shoes, and a milestone.

I *love* this fairy tale!

lutherann

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lutherann
missmelis wrote:Although what has been seen cannot be unseen, I was able to partially scrub my brain with videos of cute baby animals. Take your pick:
Puppy!
Kitten!
OMGOMGOMGPONIES!!!*

*Not auto-censored by Woot; actually a link to a video about ponies!

It may be a while before I click on another link... even if it says puppy or kitten or pony.

billiejune

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billiejune

As a child, I read many of the original Grimm's fairy tales...they are twisted, sure, but much better than any of the so-called scary movies of today...much more disturbing. Also, my favorite story as a child was the original Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves where people get chopped up into pieces, boiled in oil, and stabbed in the heart...now that's a bedtime story!!!

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan

Yay for littleclyde! Congrats!

Amazing Work!

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Yeah. German stories are really messed up. Brothers Grimm were just the G-rated ones.

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

I bet those juniper berries would make a mean gin. Yum.

edwindoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edwindoe
intothemoooon wrote:This shirt really confuses me. Am I missing something?
What's up with the red string? Is the bird a believer in Kabbalah?

Might be the ribbon she tied the head on with.

Tibwolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tibwolf

I was going to buy one of these, but I think I'm going to go curl up in a corner instead

KSPYKayte

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KSPYKayte

I literally started tearing up I was so scared after clicking that link. I am now terrified of you Woot.

csa356

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csa356
bluejester wrote:For those of you who looked at woot's "Scarier" link in the "This tells the world" section, I suggest starting with a dose of nyan cat followed up by massive LOLcat therapy.

While I really didn't pee myself so much for the image, but more for the noise and fear that my coworkers will hear that I am, in fact, NOT working, thank you for the nyan cat link, it brings me great joy.

asiancoolio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asiancoolio

rather morbid for a t-shirt design...

jcflman

quality posts: 17 Private Messages jcflman
asiancoolio wrote:rather morbid for a t-shirt design...

Yeah, ain't it cool!

I'm gonna take a quick nap and decide on a purchase. I'm teetering back and forth. :-)

noahjohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noahjohn

I ordered 2 Juniper Tree T's but the acct inf. was rejected, suggesting I try again... I did try again after carefully checking all my info. The same thing happened.When I check my card account I see that I was billed twice for $20.80... for a total of 4 shirts. this the only way to contact your billing dept... I don't see any other contact inf. Thanks

cindyscrazy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cindyscrazy

If you scroll back up, the zombie is afraid of YOU!

Granted, I've never looked at it with the sound on. I've learned that lesson, internet.....

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"--from a T-shirt

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cindyscrazyknits?ref=si_shop

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
noahjohn wrote:I ordered 2 Juniper Tree T's but the acct inf. was rejected, suggesting I try again... I did try again after carefully checking all my info. The same thing happened.When I check my card account I see that I was billed twice for $20.80... for a total of 4 shirts. this the only way to contact your billing dept... I don't see any other contact inf. Thanks

Hey there!

What you'll need to do is write us with your order number and other relevant information so we can get things all straightened out.

Thanks!

I'm just hanging out, really.

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
KSPYKayte wrote:I literally started tearing up I was so scared after clicking that link. I am now terrified of you Woot.

Awww, baby come back. We promise it won't happen again!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Congrats littleclyde!

KSPYKayte wrote:I literally started tearing up I was so scared after clicking that link. I am now terrified of you Woot.

Now I think without a doubt that I should not click on the link, yet curiosity is saying 'just take a quick look'. I hope I don't!

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

I would like to confirm that the "scarier" link is just as freaky in the morning as it was last night. The darn thing seems to resist daylight's attempts to make it less horrific.

copperchesnut

quality posts: 3 Private Messages copperchesnut

This was always my favorite fairytale growing up, and people have only rarely heard of it. I was delighted to see the name of the shirt, more delighted with the write-up.

StrayNostalgia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages StrayNostalgia

Came back to say that, yes, that link actually did give me nightmares. Interesting night. Now that it's all said and done, I'd actually like to thank woot for the excitement!

jdelvoie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jdelvoie

That was my exact first thought too.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
bluejester wrote:I would like to confirm that the "scarier" link is just as freaky in the morning as it was last night. The darn thing seems to resist daylight's attempts to make it less horrific.

Meh, it was just a jump out to scare you thing. With out the back ground story it was only startling. A movie like 'Wait until dark' that used the same technique but had very believable bad guys is 10x worse.

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness
jasneko wrote:Congrats littleclyde!

Now I think without a doubt that I should not click on the link, yet curiosity is saying 'just take a quick look'. I hope I don't!

I'm in the same exact boat! I'm a huge wimp, but I really want to know what's in the link. Ahhh.

petitefilou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petitefilou

To all those scared of the "scarier" link - it's not that scary. Made me jump a little (ok ok, a lot, practically a mile in the air) but it's not gonna give anyone nightmares unless they're of a particularly sensitive disposition. Might be scarier if I could actually read it though, wish I could

I was really disappointed this design didn't print originally, it was my favourite in that derby, so in for two!

futhermore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages futhermore

Anyone want to spoil the link for me? I clicked on it, scrolled to the first panel with the girl walking down the street alone, but then I thought better of it.

You may have noticed I'm not all there myself.

Tragerstreit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tragerstreit

...you guys left out the part where the stepmother cooked the little boy and fed it to his father.

Favorite. Grimm Tale. Ever.

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
Tragerstreit wrote:...you guys left out the part where the stepmother cooked the little boy and fed it to his father.

No we didn't.

"Then they tell the kids’ dad that the boy ran away to his uncle’s or something and serve the boy as a stew to his own father!"

cindyscrazy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cindyscrazy
futhermore wrote:Anyone want to spoil the link for me? I clicked on it, scrolled to the first panel with the girl walking down the street alone, but then I thought better of it.

It's got some kinda effect in it. When you scroll down, it shows the little girl walking down the street. Down the street, she sees some kinda man-thing in a white suit. His right leg is at a weird angle. Suddenly (and with some kind of sound, from what I understand) the panels go by VERY fast and you see in almost a movie-like image, a close up of the head of the man-thing turning around. He has a human face, but with a scary big smile and blood everywhere.
The girl is amazingly not peeing herself. Her hand shakes and she points. I think she's telling it to go away. It turns away. Close up of the little girls feet turning away. Again with the creep movie-like affect, it shows the scary thing jumping up backwards toward you and the last thing you see is that face flying toward you.

The effect only lasts the first time you scroll down. After that, it doesn't work unless you reload. I played around with it :-D Watch it with no sound to avoid nightmares/jumping/breaking things while running away.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"--from a T-shirt

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cindyscrazyknits?ref=si_shop

irenesupreme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irenesupreme

I've never bought a shirt from here before, but my friend linked me because this is one of my favorite stories.
So much respect for the artist; I will be wearing this one a lot. This story needs to be more well-known!

chinchillaandbeans

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chinchillaandbeans

Hmmmm.....Ancient Oak counterpart?

phosseini

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phosseini

Hey, Ashes to ashes and dust to dust is a scientific reality. This shirt so gets it! Written by a person who teaches Chemistry for a living.

pistachiosftw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pistachiosftw
bluejester wrote:Yeah! Like a sucker I was all, "What's with it all being in Japanese?" so I fell for it and scrolled.

If I had been startled any worse, I would have been telling woot that they owed me a new office chair.

Just an OCD thing of mine. For those who think otherwise, this is in Korean.

serengehde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages serengehde
cindyscrazy wrote:It's got some kinda effect in it. When you scroll down, it shows the little girl walking down the street...

When I stupidly clicked on the link this morning, I screamed, turned away, and ran into my roommate's room asking him to hold me in one seamless motion. I didn't look at the rest of the strip, but this summary gave me chills just reading. Holy bajeezus.

missmelis wrote:Although what has been seen cannot be unseen, I was able to partially scrub my brain with videos of cute baby animals. Take your pick:
Puppy!
Kitten!
OMGOMGOMGPONIES!!!

Then I tried to scrub my mind with the kitten video. The screen went black and said, "Oh, and one more thing." And my blood froze as I got ready to run.