WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Ah, the Hipster. Hated universally, defined only vaguely, they exist to occupy the same space Yuppies once did in the zeitgeist: as a generalized boogeyman of consumption and enthusiasm for all the wrong things. Someone who spends $2,000 on a platinum corkscrew might be a Yuppie. Make it instead a collection of indie band albums on vinyl and you've got a hipster. No one really knows what makes a hipster until they see someone who's really into something that seems kind of dumb. But we're not here to argue the distinction, we're here to mash it up and ask you to give us your best crossover designs showing the biggest hipster stereotypes, but on animals. Think Hipster Kitty, but funny and original. Maybe you'll draw a dog on a fixie or some lizards wearing skinny jeans or a salmon posting to a Tumblr blog of ironic photos that no one reads. The choices are limitless! Except for these limits:

• No text.
  • No memery. We don't want your Hipster Kitties, Socially Awkard Penguins, etc.
  • No video games.
  • No Star Wars.

Quality Posts

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

"No memery"
-I love that!

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Not sure what the "no memery" rule actually means?

bluejester

quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester

Oh man, you've got me rolling here with this week's theme. And to keep with the taco thing:

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
thatrobert wrote:Not sure what the "no memery" rule actually means?

Don't replicate hipster animal memes already established on the world wide web

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Ha! That's an amusing theme.

Vote!

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

No internet memes

See here. if it's there, it's probably not allowed.

bluejester

Apologies to the women folk out there, but I swear I read that as "no mammery" the first time I read it. My mind went to a completely different place. I was like, "What's woot got against boob--oh wait. That says no memery."

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

So is this the general newish Hipster definition that basically means: "people I hate"? =D

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd

Whoa, what a crazy theme! +1 for the no memery though (+2 if it means no cats and not just no memed cats).

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

So there are some Hipster Animal sites and memes already out there, like Hipster Kitty. We don't want you riffing on an existing riff. Try to come up with your own funny combo, not a parody of a popular macro or video or something.

bluejester

Now, for a more relevent post with a question.

Since no memes are allowed, which sounds excellent by the way, are the iconic "hipster glasses" considered, in themselves, a meme?

tgentry

Staff

SeedUvPain wrote:Don't replicate hipster animal memes already established on the world wide web

Yes, you said it a lot better than I tried to.

tgentry

Staff

bluejester wrote:Now, for a more relevent post with a question.

Since no memes are allowed, which sounds excellent by the way, are the iconic "hipster glasses" considered, in themselves, a meme?

Hipster stereotypes are fair game. We just don't want you copying well known existing hipster animals that have already made the rounds. Make up your own.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
tgentry wrote:So there are some Hipster Animal sites and memes already out there, like Hipster Kitty. We don't want you riffing on an existing riff. Try to come up with your own funny combo, not a parody of a popular macro or video or something.

Ah, I wasn't aware of those. OK, so how about just plain memes? So, could you still have a double rainbow behind your hipster sheep? And what about mythical animals?

I'm not recommending or planning any of these -- just clarifying.

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz
bluejester wrote:Apologies to the women folk out there, but I swear I read that as "no mammery" the first time I read it. My mind went to a completely different place. I was like, "What's woot got against boob--oh wait. That says no memery."

I thought it said no memory. Guess I was having a senior moment - or a computer crash.

drewpac18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewpac18

Way to make me wish I knew more about hipsters instead of just ignoring them for years.

imsochady

quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady

lols at the theme

SeedUvPain

Here's an unnecessarily convoluted take on the theme: What if I took something that hipsters are known for wearing (che guevara)and turning that INTO an animal (Cheetah Guevara)? Still on theme? Stop with the stupid questions and let the rejectionator decide? Hamburger?

tenieldjo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tenieldjo

It's a pity there's no text allowed I think it'd be funny to have a little triassic mammal talking to a wooly mammoth, saying "Pfft -- I had fur BEFORE it was cold."

shaggster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaggster

SOMEONE SHOULD DO SOMETHING WITH A LLAMA OR SOME INTERESTING ANIMAL BESIDES DOGS TURTLES OWLS ECT.

bluejester

drewpac18 wrote:Way to make me wish I knew more about hipsters instead of just ignoring them for years.

Here's a couple of quick videos to help familiarize you with the jist of what it is to be "hipster," thrown together by one of my favorite comedy sketch groups Five Second Films.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

It's ironic that a design poking fun at hipsters will be printed on an American Apparel shirt when all is said and done.

It's a shame this derby doesn't allow text - sooo much of the hipster stereotype is based on brand names.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
drewpac18 wrote:Way to make me wish I knew more about hipsters instead of just ignoring them for years.

^This.
Oh wait, are they those annoying, pretentious, over-dressed (and by that I mean TOO MANY CLOTHES) kids who spout retro intellectual crap while still unable to manage their (mispelled) signature in anything other than an illiterate scrawl?
>facepalm< This is a Derby theme? Oy!

bluejester

SeedUvPain wrote:Here's an unnecessarily convoluted take on the theme: What if I took something that hipsters are known for wearing (che guevara)and turning that INTO an animal (Cheetah Guevara)? Still on theme? Stop with the stupid questions and let the rejectionator decide? Hamburger?

Burger. I added fries for free.

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

Would playing vintage video game systems violate the no video games rule?

SeedUvPain

bluejester wrote:

Burger. I added fries for free.

Good f'in choice. Is that animal style?

unionboggle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unionboggle

meme (miːm)
— n

an idea or element of social behavior passed on through generations in a culture, esp. by imitation

"taste the beast"

bluejester

SeedUvPain wrote:Good f'in choice. Is that animal style?

I believe so.

bluejester

The more that I think about this particular theme, the more I realize that this is going to end up being a bit more difficult than people think. There are so many animal memes online which poke fun at hipsters, one could accidentally stumble upon a hipster meme without knowing about it.

Which in itself is ironic. "I've never heard of that meme."
"It's pretty obscure."

Some tips for spotting hipsters in the wild:

-In the past, Starbucks was likely a sure fire bet for spotting this creatures, but as Starbucks have popped up everywhere, you might be better served to check out a run down coffee shop in the downtown district of the nearest large city.

-Go to your local Goodwill or other local charity shop to find them hunting for clothes that no one would wear normally.

-Set out a simple box trap with a stick and use a biscotti as bait.

All these should work for observing the hipster in the wild.

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
bluejester wrote:I believe so.

I keep forgetting that I shouldn't read this thread while hungry. WHY ARE THERE NO IN 'N OUTS IN UPSTATE NEW YORK!!!

zosai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai
Lagbert wrote:It's ironic that a design poking fun at hipsters will be printed on an American Apparel shirt when all is said and done.

It's a shame this derby doesn't allow text - sooo much of the hipster stereotype is based on brand names.

too bad woot doesn't offer v-necks.

ha!

SeedUvPain

Q: Why did the hipster burn his mouth on the slice of pizza?

A: He ate it before it was cool

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
Lagbert wrote:It's ironic that a design poking fun at hipsters will be printed on an American Apparel shirt when all is said and done.

This made me lol.

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
paigeg wrote:Oh wait, are they those annoying, pretentious, over-dressed (and by that I mean TOO MANY CLOTHES) kids who spout retro intellectual crap while still unable to manage their (mispelled) signature in anything other than an illiterate scrawl?
>facepalm< This is a Derby theme? Oy!

I'll just get this out of the way now. Hipsters ruin everything: a comic! (Be sure to click next; there's a second page of them.)

There will always be people struggling to feel specialer. It will take many forms, and some of them will get laughed at. Now let's go draw some narwhals in obscure band teeshirts.

mailmanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo

My train of thought was a hipster animal(design, t-shirt, jeans etc) in amongst a bunch of stuffy suit wearing types, the animal should be penguins (suits, obviously) but is this too close to the socially awkward penguin meme (which i never heard of till now- honestly you think you're a nerd and then you land on a site like this, and realise you ain't got the nerd chops to cut it!)

Incidentally I was going to call it "YES! We're all individuals!", (I'm not) and the t-shirt the hispter penguin was wearing was gonna be same design as mine above (minituarised and simplified obviously!)

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07

This is going to be ridiculously nerdy, but seems appropriate...

My favorite Pokemon is Diglett, because he's still underground.

bum dum ching

paigeg

clarinerd wrote:I keep forgetting that I shouldn't read this thread while hungry. WHY ARE THERE NO IN 'N OUTS IN UPSTATE NEW YORK!!!

Dood, we're lucky we got a Sonic or two. And Checkers? Fuggetaboudit.

DJTweekNYC

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC

This will be a hipster bear on an old timey bike eventually!

paigeg

gement wrote:I'll just get this out of the way now. Hipsters ruin everything: a comic! (Be sure to click next; there's a second page of them.)

There will always be people struggling to feel specialer. It will take many forms, and some of them will get laughed at. Now let's go draw some narwhals in obscure band teeshirts.

I vote we all go hipster-tipping. Next time I see a dude in a flannel shirt, shorts and straw fedora, I'm gonna knock him over and run! Heeeee!
Sorry, I'm just grumpy because they have more money than me.