+ Add a Comment

axphw1


quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1
melfox86 wrote:I love the idea. I would totally visit the biggest blanket fort in the world. I may possibly stage a takeover and claim it for my own. Like a castle!



I would say that would be well within blanket fort etiquette. To not siege would be rather rude.

axphw1


quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1
yankeebird wrote:I don't know if a shirt can induce seizures, but if it's possible, this would be a likely candidate for being the one to do it.



Thank you?

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: The Library of Appalachia



Oh please, people need to chill out with the offensiveness. It's a joke, boots is a satirist and satirists mock things to prove a point.

Do you guys get upset every time a a comedian makes a joke? The last derby we had was literally filled with entries mocking hipsters. Did you see a legion of hipsters whining about all the unfair generalization? Did anybody get offended on behalf of the hipsters? Would you all freak out if there was a derby mocking goth kids? Metalheads? Nerds or Jocks? Gimmie a break.

Dumb redneck/hillbilly jokes are probably one of the most common comedic mainstays in many parts around this country.

Boo hoo.

tobefonseca


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tobefonseca
MadamAtom wrote:It's Tir-na Nog'th!

Well crap. It's totally off topic, but I want it.

When they reject it, please let me know if it prints anywhere else.



I hope they wont, I think its fit :] Thanks anyway! :D

shirlo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shirlo
BootsBoots wrote:I have no love (or hope) for people who like to make fun of people just to be mean. But I don't think that's the demographic of people who will enjoy this shirt. I think people who aren't familiar with the area wouldn't care enough to make fun of it. I'm sure you're right that there are a few people like that, though. I mean, I'm sure there are some people who would take things like this seriously, but they're not the intended audience of this (hilarious) image, and I don't think their ignorant misinterpretations should be catered to. I refuse.



In my experience this is absolutely backwards--it is the people who are NOT familiar with the area that cluelessly perpetuate this offensive notion. I have heard well-educated and generally intelligent people used "Appalachian" as a synonym for illiterate, ignorant, and inbred--and using it in descriptive, not a joking manner! I'm sick of it. If this shirt were about an imaginary place, then it would be funny, but not when it reinforces this disrespectful stereotype of real people. We could also stereotype the lack of gene flow in small isolated rural populations across the US, or stereotype all people in urban centers as illiterate, but that would also be inaccurate and offensive. So what's next--racial or religious jokes?

duffyj83


quality posts: 0 Private Messages duffyj83
Re: The Library of Appalachia



I am originally from W.V. and still have family there. Occasionally I get little comments about being a redneck or whatever, but it doesn't offend me. Neither does this design. Since Boots is from the area, it doesn't make any sense to me that people are upset by her poking fun at Appalachia - because that's really all it is, just poking fun. It's nothing truly insulting, and it most certainly NOT on par with a racial or religious joke.

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
shirlo wrote:In my experience this is absolutely backwards--it is the people who are NOT familiar with the area that cluelessly perpetuate this offensive notion. I have heard well-educated and generally intelligent people used "Appalachian" as a synonym for illiterate, ignorant, and inbred--and using it in descriptive, not a joking manner! I'm sick of it. If this shirt were about an imaginary place, then it would be funny, but not when it reinforces this disrespectful stereotype of real people. We could also stereotype the lack of gene flow in small isolated rural populations across the US, or stereotype all people in urban centers as illiterate, but that would also be inaccurate and offensive. So what's next--racial or religious jokes?



I personally don't think any of the things you mentioned are, by nature, offensive. I can't really argue if you feel that way, though. We just have entirely different world views. If I got offended by the things you mentioned, I'd probably just shut myself in my room all day. I'd get tired of telling people that Canadians really don't say, "eh" that much, and that there are some people from New Jersey that have no affiliation with the mob or greasy hair products.

Not that I think this is even close to the same thing, but since you mentioned these as subjects that should always be off limits, I'll say that I do love good racial and religious jokes, too. It's all about the humor and the intent, not the subject matter. And I'm not even one of the "normals" ;)


fossilgirl1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1
bluetuba wrote:Oh please, people need to chill out with the offensiveness. It's a joke, boots is a satirist and satirists mock things to prove a point.

Do you guys get upset every time a a comedian makes a joke? The last derby we had was literally filled with entries mocking hipsters. Did you see a legion of hipsters whining about all the unfair generalization? Did anybody get offended on behalf of the hipsters? Would you all freak out if there was a derby mocking goth kids? Metalheads? Nerds or Jocks? Gimmie a break.

Dumb redneck/hillbilly jokes are probably one of the most common comedic mainstays in many parts around this country.

Boo hoo.



You say this is satire to prove a point. What is the point this design is proving?
Do I get upset at every joke I hear? No. Only if the joke is propagating hate, racism or disdain for others. If you hear or see something that offends you, you should say so. It's not whining. I wonder, when you hear a racist joke do you laugh and say it's "just a joke"? What does it take to make you speak out against humor at the cost of others feelings?

tobefonseca


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tobefonseca
PixelPants wrote:Time to recognise the unsung heroes of the monument world, the pedestals.



LOL

tobefonseca


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tobefonseca
Re: Moonument



Beautiful!

tobefonseca


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tobefonseca
Re: The Rainguard



Great colors, great tee!


nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: America Rocks



Took me forever to figure this one out. Hopefully you all haven't had an overdose of Abe. He's kind of a rockstar so I wanted to show him that way.
6 colors on slate.

duffyj83


quality posts: 0 Private Messages duffyj83
Re: The Library of Appalachia



Also, let's face it people: stereotypes start from somewhere. It's up to us as intelligent human beings to be able to differentiate between what is stereotypical and what is FACT. I would wager that most children (even those in Appalachia) are taught the age-old saying not to "judge a book by it's cover" and that people are not always what they seem. In fact, to ASSUME Boots's intention is kinda judgmental in its own right.

Lagbert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Re: Stairway to Heaven



This is gorgeous, but I'm afraid your going to get rejected for the use of photos. Even the use of photo based brushes has been grounds for rejection in the past. http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=49462

rtofirefly


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rtofirefly
fossilgirl1 wrote:You say this is satire to prove a point. What is the point this design is proving?
Do I get upset at every joke I hear? No. Only if the joke is propagating hate, racism or disdain for others. If you hear or see something that offends you, you should say so. It's not whining. I wonder, when you hear a racist joke do you laugh and say it's "just a joke"? What does it take to make you speak out against humor at the cost of others feelings?



What jokes are those? Knock-knock jokes? You must not be a fan of stand-up comedy, as you'd be offended at every other thing they typically say. Sometimes you just need to realize that everyone doesn't have to have the same views as you, and not everyone feels the same way. If it offends you the solution is simple: Don't vote for it, don't buy it, and don't wear it.

But you definitely don't need to sit here commenting repeatedly trying to convince everyone to your views. Clearly enough people DO enjoy the joke and aren't offended that this is in the fog. I really doubt it's just because woot is full of hateful folks that want to offend people. If everyone gets the joke but you, then perhaps the joke is not the problem here...

Just my 2 cents, and I'm not bothering to come back and argue with you about it either so don't bother ;)

Lagbert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Re: The Rainguard



This is hands down my favorite entry in the derby. Your color choices are great, the textures are great and I like the subtle Art Nouveau line work on the space needle.

GMV+1

Naolito


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito
Re: Moonument



Thanks!!
Detail pic:

tobefonseca


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tobefonseca
Lagbert wrote:This is gorgeous, but I'm afraid your going to get rejected for the use of photos. Even the use of photo based brushes has been grounds for rejection in the past. http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=49462



It depends, which photos are you talking about?

About "Terms and Condition" as long I own the rights on everything that I use its ok. There's nothing about using brushes or photo references as long its dont inflict any copyright.



Lagbert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Re: Land of the Fries



Clever social commentary and great execution as always!

So are those Freedom Fries or French Fries? : )

GMV+1

fossilgirl1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1
rtofirefly wrote:What jokes are those? Knock-knock jokes? You must not be a fan of stand-up comedy, as you'd be offended at every other thing they typically say. Sometimes you just need to realize that everyone doesn't have to have the same views as you, and not everyone feels the same way. If it offends you the solution is simple: Don't vote for it, don't buy it, and don't wear it.

But you definitely don't need to sit here commenting repeatedly trying to convince everyone to your views. Clearly enough people DO enjoy the joke and aren't offended that this is in the fog. I really doubt it's just because woot is full of hateful folks that want to offend people. If everyone gets the joke but you, then perhaps the joke is not the problem here...

Just my 2 cents, and I'm not bothering to come back and argue with you about it either so don't bother ;)



So you say "it's just a joke".
No I don't expect that everyone should have the same opinion. And I don't think woot is full of hateful people(you do try to vilify people who don't agree with you don't you). No, you can't stop me from responding by saying you won't listen.

fossilgirl1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1
Re: America Rocks



Great design! I hope you make it to the fog.GMV

sellout87


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sellout87
sarahreebs wrote:How do you feel about Hermes Conrad (from Futurama)?



i thought about doing a character from futurama, but the show is more about a team than a family so there's no central father figure. I wanted the focus to be more on cartoon dads.

kaelynangelfoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaelynangelfoot
Re: Escher's Tower



Brilliant. I can't stop trying to trace a logical path and my brain is starting to hurt. +1 but I would make it +i if I could...

SteveBook


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SteveBook
Re: The Drive-Through Tomato of CA's Central Valley



The Sacramento Valley is behind in its landmarks. Maybe it's time for a tomato catch-up.

silverdragontyr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages silverdragontyr
Re: Stairway to Heaven



Honestly I hope this wins and does NOT get rejected. This is one of few entries in the not so short past that I would buy.

tobefonseca


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tobefonseca
silverdragontyr wrote:Honestly I hope this wins and does NOT get rejected. This is one of few entries in the not so short past that I would buy.



I'm really glad to read this, thank you silverdragontyr!

crazydoglady


quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady
Re: You Are Here



This is so great! One of the very few entries so far that (imho) is within the theme. I will buy 3 if it prints, GMV.

jasonshepherd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonshepherd
Re: Baconhenge



It's the legendary Baconhenge...and yes, I've been there AND got the t-shirt

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
dragontears740 wrote:Being from a little podunk community in back woods West Virginia I feel like I know and represent your typical hillbillies. That said, I absolutely love this shirt and was immensely saddened by its rejection. I have voted again and would buy this shirt for myself and most of my family.

If you ever visit an Appalachian gift shop or tourist attraction, you will find a fair share of hillbilly items that mock the locals. It's just part of the culture. This shirt would fit right in.

As a side note, our community doesn't have a library, but the town half an hour away does, AND it has even more than Boots' 5-book selection.



^this

also...
Everyone varies when it comes to their sense of humor. Some prefer a dry whit... while others prefer a good ol poop joke(this group includes my 4 year old daughter). A number of people are offended by poop jokes. It offends their sensibilities and is beneath them. Some would find dry whit offensive, if they only understood the suttle undercutting which had been delivered, but they just shake their head and say, "I don't get it. That's not funny.". People of one group just don't get what's so funny about the others funny-funny.
Comedy is comedy and it comes in so many forms. You can analyze it all day long but then after doing so its no longer remains funny. Hecklers do this.
Right now, there seems to be some hecklers in the crowd. Come on gang. Shoosh now. Sit back and have a couple drinks and enjoy the show. Make sure you tip your waitress. If you don't want to, check out another show. There's a number of others going on right now. But don't go ruinning this one for others who are enjoying it.

w00tfi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages w00tfi
Re: Land of the Fries



This is awesome.

xazothia


quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
Re: HP Lovecraft Memorial NOT in R'yleh



I'm torn between wishing this was less subtle, and knowing that the subtlety here is actually perfect for the subject. Y'know, that initial sense that something is just a little off, and then hey what's thaOHMYGODRUN

xazothia


quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
Re: Forest Pyramids



I adore the badgers, but sadbunny with the floppy ears makes this win for me :P

xazothia


quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
Re: America Rocks



South Park quote:
"How do you get rid of a giant stone Abraham Lincoln?"

"Um. er. uh. Giant. Stone. John Wilkes Booth?"

Probably appropriate for some other entries in this derby, but this one made me think of it. Great illustration.

xazothia


quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
Re: You Are Here



Sad part is that within a 50 mile radius of where I live, there are many many places you could plop this thing down. lol.

I mention that specifically because the saguaros place it in the Sonoran desert. Tucson to Phoenix has become less of a no-man's-land, but Tucson south to the border? Plenty of scenes just like this to be made. :D

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Aloha from Hawaii



I would love to see a real Statue of Taweret's foot at some beach in Hawaii, were Lost was filmed.

oze6000


quality posts: 3 Private Messages oze6000

I would buy this shirt in a second if it wasn't for the curved bottom. With it, i'll have to think about it some.

fossilgirl1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1
midgerock wrote:^this

also...
Everyone varies when it comes to their sense of humor. Some prefer a dry whit... while others prefer a good ol poop joke(this group includes my 4 year old daughter). A number of people are offended by poop jokes. It offends their sensibilities and is beneath them. Some would find dry whit offensive, if they only understood the suttle undercutting which had been delivered, but they just shake their head and say, "I don't get it. That's not funny.". People of one group just don't get what's so funny about the others funny-funny.
Comedy is comedy and it comes in so many forms. You can analyze it all day long but then after doing so its no longer remains funny. Hecklers do this.
Right now, there seems to be some hecklers in the crowd. Come on gang. Shoosh now. Sit back and have a couple drinks and enjoy the show. Make sure you tip your waitress. If you don't want to, check out another show. There's a number of others going on right now. But don't go ruinning this one for others who are enjoying it.



OK, drink in hand and ready to Shoosh.I did think I was just replyng to rather harsh comments made to me. Didn't realize I was heckling (I do hate hecklers).Enough said.

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Aloha from Hawaii



Reference for those that haven't watched Lost (yet):

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Statue_of_Taweret

rasabi


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi
Re: Ephemeral Edifice



@tobefonseca - Thank you. Nice mustache.

@j5 - Glad you like your shirt! Yeah, I noticed I've been doing a lot of circular compositions... the leaf frame seemed to work better that way, but I actually had some other layout ideas that may work better if it doesn't pan out this way.

@bluetuba - I can see by the low amount of other entries that I wasn't the only one having troubles with this theme haha. It would probably feel more on theme had I made my landmark a single building rather than an entire city of leaves. The skyline ended up making a more interesting visual and seemed to convey a more potent message, so I chased after it. Hopefully it didn't take me out of bounds...

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: The Other Lincoln Memorial



Awesome, the design is too big for my taste, but, great wok.