1%
82%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

chrisprender

quality posts: 312 Private Messages chrisprender

"They complained about the tax increases, sure, but isn't all this dry weather and dying foliage totally worth it?"

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

Close derby ... 26 votes separated first place and third place.

I've visited Seattle before ... yeah, an umbrella should be a permanent fixture.

dartmoose

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dartmoose

I wonder if the engineer took into account the fact that the umbrella might be blown away...

Vilgrom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Vilgrom

Seattle gets a bad rap.. NYC gets more rain! Seattle is just overcast 6 out of 7 days of the week.

chrisprender

quality posts: 312 Private Messages chrisprender

I admit, I wasn't really familiar with Helgram before this, but wow-- the color, texture, and composition on this one are all perfect.

I especially like the hidden circle formed by the top of the umbrella and the bottom of the design.

meepee

quality posts: 33 Private Messages meepee

Good luck finding an umbrella that big.

bluejester

quality posts: 563 Private Messages bluejester

This shirt mixes in the gray colors so well, I feel like I'm actually looking through a window into the Seattle area itself. Not to mention, I get a terrific pop-art feel from the overall style of the design.

Good job Helgram.

Yellow5

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Yellow5

Since I live in Seattle, maybe I should get this....

Draithy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Draithy

Oh yes... Usefulness! But wouldn't it also block out the sun, encouraging more gloom?

Hmm....

sexylittlerobot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages sexylittlerobot

Mr. Burns approved!

larzlarzpantsonfarz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages larzlarzpantsonfarz

whoa whoa whoa! Why does Seattle get one and Portland doesn't?!?!
This is ridiculous!

cbabcock2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cbabcock2

I guess Travelers is protecting Seattle.

Do you think they offer flood insurance?

cbabfat

MaxAwesome

quality posts: 9 Private Messages MaxAwesome

I'm looking out my office window on Pike directly at the good old Space Needle here in Seattle, and this shirt is dead on.

I would buy it, but wearing a Seattle shirt when you live in Seattle is kind of like going to a concert wearing a T-shirt of the band you're going to see.

Plus, who'd see it? We're all sporting our jackets and flannels now anyways.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
Draithy wrote:But wouldn't it also block out the sun, encouraging more gloom?

There's sunshine in Seattle? That's almost as foreign of a concept as rain is here in SoCal.

booksrule9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages booksrule9

Washington better be the bluest state on that map by the end of the day tomorrow.

Revvy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Revvy

Only tourists use umbrellas in Seattle. The rest of us have hats, hoods, or a lack of care.

booksrule9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages booksrule9
Revvy wrote:Only tourists use umbrellas in Seattle. The rest of us have hats, hoods, or a lack of care.

So true.

DCno10

quality posts: 376 Private Messages DCno10

The airplane warning lights are a great touch. Well done helgram.

Snipes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Snipes
booksrule9 wrote:So true.

Yep, totally true. Here in Seattle you can tell if someone is either a tourist or a wimp if they use an umbrella. Love the design though!

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

It's like the Travelers company built a giant umbrella just to prove they could.

What we don't know is that it's actually a floating city held up by the updrafts.

NortonsArk

quality posts: 12 Private Messages NortonsArk

As a Seattle area resident I guess I'll need to get this shirt. Beware: the Space Needle folks can be anal about their structure on shirts. Seattle Pug Rescue (a great group I'm heavily involved with) was forced to get a new logo and toss all their previous t-shirts with Space Needle depictions on them.

mousefinbutt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mousefinbutt
bluejester wrote:This shirt mixes in the gray colors so well, I feel like I'm actually looking through a window into the Seattle area itself. Not to mention, I get a terrific pop-art feel from the overall style of the design.

Good job Helgram.

I live in Seattle and today definitely embodies this. The gray of this shirt matches the gray of a stormy overcast day, as well as the melancholy I feel in my soul. I call it "lets-jump-out-the-window gray."

I find this is more effective at dissuading people from moving here than telling them it rains a lot.

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus

Still looks rainy...

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

pharmacide

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pharmacide

I love the texture on this one. Great design!

tbq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbq

I'm one of the million or so people in the Seattle area that don't own an umbrella. I'm still considering whether or not to buy a shirt depicting one though...

eco2geek

quality posts: 51 Private Messages eco2geek

What a pretty shirt! Love the colors.

As a Portland resident, guess I'll put on a Nirvana CD, look out at the rain, and buy one.

We have met the enemy and he is us. -- Pogo

trixydan

quality posts: 8 Private Messages trixydan

It's even a real skyline from somewhere in Queen Anne. Though I must admit, I was kind of hoping for a Frasier skyline, it would have been funnier.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

congrats on the print helgram!
beautiful design.

move along

keresism

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keresism

As a current resident of the SF bay area hailing from near Seattle, this is perfect repping material with the added bonus of perpetuating the "always raining" stereotype in hopes of discouraging mass exodus to WA.

Also, really nice design. My eyes are licking it.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

I'm puzzled that more people aren't buying the shirt anywhere but in the Northwest. Doesn't it rain a lot in Texas, for example? I know the east coast got hammered last month- why don't they want this shirt?

JenDupre

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JenDupre
Revvy wrote:Only tourists use umbrellas in Seattle. The rest of us have hats, hoods, or a lack of care.

TRUE DAT!

Radar323

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Radar323

The artwork is fantastic. As a native, I would happily wear this except …

As has already been pointed out, umbrellas are for tourists and wimps. Offering an umbrella is a borderline insult. Most true natives don't even wear hoods.

After all, Western Washingtonians don't tan, we rust.

woolysockofdoom

quality posts: 16 Private Messages woolysockofdoom
Josephus wrote:I'm puzzled that more people aren't buying the shirt anywhere but in the Northwest. Doesn't it rain a lot in Texas, for example? I know the east coast got hammered last month- why don't they want this shirt?

It's past their bedtime.

shiranissosexy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shiranissosexy

Booo, no Frasier reference in the description?:-(

First Brigadier of Carolling ever: 12/14/13!!!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Alright! Congratulations on your first derby print, Helgram!

Your work is so eyecatching, textured with terrific lines and distressed colors, it's about time you hit the front page. :^)

oze6000

quality posts: 3 Private Messages oze6000

I really like everything in this shirt, except for the potbelly cutout. Only for that i'll have to pass on this shirt.

rodan32

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rodan32

This is a myth. It's actually about half and half, and there's an age/job gap. It's one of those things a lot of young locals think "everyone knows" but it's not actually true. A lot of folks carry umbrellas but almost never break them out, because it doesn't often RAIN in Seattle. It drizzles and mists and sprinkles a lot, but it seldom pours down. Houston, New York, Boston, New Orleans actually get way more rain in inches than Seattle.

One thing that is true, however, is that locals here complain about the weather way more often than people in other areas, in spite of having the mildest climate in the country. If a person from Seattle ever met the rain in, say, Nashville, the "hat or hood or don't care" idea would die pretty quick.

Or so says this 4th-gen Seattle resident (who has also lived in Utah, Ohio, Tennessee, and New Jersey).

Radien

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Radien

Dang, this must go for the whole Pacific Northwest. I've heard a similar saying for Oregon:

"Oregonians don't use umbrellas. They just *run*."

Oregon has just enough rain to be considered "wet," but not nearly as much rain as Seattle, so who are we to complain? (Or use umbrellas?)

On the other hand, I lived in Japan for a few weeks, and over THERE you can tell tourists by whether they wear shorts during the summer. Anyone who has experienced a full Japanese summer will know that you don't wear shorts: the humidity is so high that you won't feel any cooler, and on top of all that, you'll just end up with wet socks, thanks to monsoon season.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

Interesting how one building like the Space Needle can transform a cities skyline and then you introduce a giant umbrella and it changes everything. Very nice helgram. Or is it a normal sized umbrella?
"What is this? A city for ants?! The city has to be at least... 3 times bigger!"