lehmann314159

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lehmann314159
Nekkochan wrote:Yes, I thought the same, but a smaller animal with a lower profile probably wouldn't have shown up as well in the design. Lions have been known to take down an elephant when food is scarce, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I think it's a concession to vibe over practicality. Adult giraffes are atypical prey, according to this random google return...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_lions_eat_giraffes

nleeolson7

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nleeolson7

I love the reflection in the eye. I'm excited to see how it prints with the glossy look. And the write up was hysterical.

frostymug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frostymug
TobiasAmaranth wrote:Hutto, TX? I know where that is. It's really close by. Next to Round Rock, north of Pflugerville.

Hippos. One of the few animals lions are better off not messing with

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
bmw66x wrote:You're a clever girl for posting the clever girl meme as the condition. Props to the writers!

Thank you for pointing that out, because I didn't notice it until you did, and it makes me happy. I use that line in random situations all the time and get really excited when someone gets the reference. :-D

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

Alas, poor shirt.woot. I knew it well...

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
lehmann314159 wrote:I think it's a concession to vibe over practicality. Adult giraffes are atypical prey, according to this random google return...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_lions_eat_giraffes

Almost nothing hunts adult giraffes. But it makes for way better-looking design than a short little zebra or some more usual prey. Without the title, one could just think of it as an "African reflection" or something.

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis

Wow! I was so impressed by this awesome design, but I have to admit I didn't think it would come in first. It has an amazing subtlety, and that kind of thing can sometimes get lost in the Derby frenzy. Congrats ISO30!

In honor of this, I present a snippet of revised pop-music history:

And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the day
And he's WATCHing us ALL in the EEEEEEEEEEEYE---of the lion

Okay, it doesn't work quite as well as the original. But I had to shoehorn this song in somehow!

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

Alas, poor shirt.woot. I knew it well...

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages Spiritgreen

missmelis, I was thinking more:

Congratulations ISO30!

BorisBadenov

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BorisBadenov
TobiasAmaranth wrote:Hutto, TX? I know where that is. It's really close by. Next to Round Rock, north of Pflugerville.

Home of the Hippos! :-)

clearthecount

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clearthecount

It is a beautiful shirt and the detail is amazing. But the artist should have done His/her research. Lions do NOT hunt giraffes unless they're starving. They might take down injured or very old giraffe's, but their prey of choice are Gnus or water buffalos. Because of that, I won't buy the shirt.

golanta00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages golanta00
clearthecount wrote:It is a beautiful shirt and the detail is amazing. But the artist should have done His/her research. Lions do NOT hunt giraffes unless they're starving. They might take down injured or very old giraffe's, but their prey of choice are Gnus or water buffalos. Because of that, I won't buy the shirt.

Who says the Lion is 'hunting'? Maybe it's just a beautiful day on the savanna and this is what he sees. I jumped on it right away. Fantastic artistry plus I find very few shirts here that I would wear. Congrats to the artist! Well-deserved win.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Since the artist is just south of woot headquarters does this mean the shirts will be signed? ;-)

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

sawbones84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sawbones84

maybe i'm being dense, but is that supposed to be a pokemon reference?

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan

Congratulations ISO30! Amazing work!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

Congrats on the print! This has got to be one of the most stunningly executed Woot shirt designs, ever.

1rudeboy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages 1rudeboy

I love the shirt, but unless something has changed in the printing capability at Woot!, there's no way they can pull this off. Can anyone on staff enlighten us?

dopalgangr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dopalgangr

It would have been better if the artist made it as though you were looking through a scope and the image was set behind cross-hairs. Then I would have bought it.

flemtone

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flemtone

Truly a beautiful design and a well-deserved win. For truly artistic work in the Derby, the bar has been raised.

notsomuch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages notsomuch

Shirt and write up are awesome enough to share on FaceBook, but the link brings back "Scrub, My Pretty" with a completely different shirt in the icon.

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

ParadiseDave

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ParadiseDave

Wish I could buy one normal, and one with a mirror image. Then the two of us standing side-by-side could scare the bejeezus out of the little kids on our porch later this month.

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

rugby1114

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rugby1114

I wish this were a print I could hang on my wall. Great artistry.

kawooda1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kawooda1
missmelis wrote:Thank you for pointing that out, because I didn't notice it until you did, and it makes me happy. I use that line in random situations all the time and get really excited when someone gets the reference. :-D

This link explains the Clever girl meme, and even shows a Jurassic Park clip where it was referenced...

Click here!

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester

congrats on the deserved print in a field of really tough competition! your execution here is flawless.

Medicfrost

quality posts: 51 Private Messages Medicfrost

My only issue is that judging by the orientation of the eye, the nose would be under my armpit. No ones nose should ever be under my armpit...ever.

FlamingoNut

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FlamingoNut

This has to be one of the most amazing designs I've ever seen. The write-up is just as amazing. Great job all around. I'm in for one because it would be a crime not to get one. Congrats!

Sausey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sausey
Nekkochan wrote:I had the same reaction when I saw the shirt for the first time - but if you google lion eyes, you'll find that a lion's pupil is very different from most other cats'.

Hashtag burn, hashtag your tie is still dumb, hash tag refill!

ISO30

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ISO30

On the giraffe:

The main reason I wanted to go with it was because it would probably be the easiest animal to recognize as a very small silohouette, yet remain a believable prey (as opposed to an elephant or- sorry Hutto- a hippo). But I wasn't sold on it until I found this video.

Tangeloo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tangeloo

Even if a lion never brought down a giraffe you can't tell me they don't LOOK at them. You think they close their eyes every time one comes into view?

Instead maybe she dreams a little about taking one on? tries to figure out tactics? distance? wind? which lion pounces from which direction?

all in the blink of an

(you guessed it)

eye

cherryo14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherryo14

Good looking shirt, didn't know that a lion's pupil was round like that :-)

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
notsomuch wrote:Shirt and write up are awesome enough to share on FaceBook, but the link brings back "Scrub, My Pretty" with a completely different shirt in the icon.

Known issue, sorry about that.

I'm just hanging out, really.

tritis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tritis

Has woot considered offering Long sleeve Ts?

The weather turned cold and it's time to start wearing the long stuff again.

logicape

quality posts: 3 Private Messages logicape

Can't disagree, very cool design. But for a shirt, I'm sorry - reminds me too much of those awful wolf t-shirts :S

http://www.animalshirts.net/wolfshirts/index.htm

toolfreak387

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toolfreak387

Very awesome! In for one.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Tangeloo wrote:Even if a lion never brought down a giraffe you can't tell me they don't LOOK at them. You think they close their eyes every time one comes into view?

Instead maybe she dreams a little about taking one on? tries to figure out tactics? distance? wind? which lion pounces from which direction?

all in the blink of an

(you guessed it)

eye

Oi!

move along

chrisprender

quality posts: 312 Private Messages chrisprender

This is probably one of the most "layered" designs I've seen in a long while. The reflection provides a depth that's very hard to achieve in a flat screenprinted design. Tremendous execution by ISO30.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Niiice! I was expecting to see this print. Very beautiful work, ISO! Also wow, I am about 10 mins away from Hutto. In fact I go out there quite often as I have friends there. GO CENTRAL TX!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

(NSFW or little children eyes...or dudes hunting velociraptors...)

bluetuba

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba
Spiritgreen wrote:missmelis, I was thinking more:

Congratulations ISO30!

I was actually thinking more like..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MBcZ88YmUA

kdorff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdorff

If it weren't on brown, which I hate for shirts, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Don't you know we like black!?!? Or grey, or...

voidstarpointer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages voidstarpointer
ParadiseDave wrote:Wish I could buy one normal, and one with a mirror image. Then the two of us standing side-by-side could scare the bejeezus out of the little kids on our porch later this month.

I came here to say the same thing. I'd love to have right and left eye shirts available. (Mirror image eyes, but the same image reflected for maximum authenticity, I guess.)