holothuria

quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
tico0001 wrote:ummh... no. Your logic is very flawed (mine is fine). You start with an assumption: "if I assumed that milk is similar to curdled milk". I didn't start with an assumption, I started with a fact: Woot rejected "Harmless" for being too similar to an existing shirt.

So in the end your result is just an assumption... mine is a logical fact.

No, you're fudging. Because it has not been proved that this is too similar to Harmless, you started by establishing a rule, not stating a factual premise. You cannot have a valid conclusion without two (or more) true premises, and you only have one. Quod erat demonstrandum non demonstratum. (I.e., "What was to be proved is not proved.")

That is not to say that your logic is (necessarily) bad; it's conditional. And the condition will likely never be tested, because those individuals with the (highly subjective) yardstick are not likely to measure whether this is too similar to Harmless. Rather, they will measure whether it is too similar to existing shirts directly.

There is also, as cruelnv was getting at, an issue with degree of variation. (Please note, cruelnv, that I am not saying that your analogy was a good one.) It is possible for both the premise, "Harmless is too similar to existing shirts," and the (hypothetical) premise, "This shirt is too similar to Harmless," to be true without them validating the conclusion that this shirt is too similar to existing shirts. Think of it numerically:

If any design within 3 of another is "too similar"; and
"Existing shirt" is at 5; and
"Harmless" is too similar to "Existing shirt"; and
"A.M." is too similar to "Harmless",

Can we conclude that A.M. is within 3 of existing shirt? Nope, all we can conclude is that it's within the range of -1 to 11--that is, that it's within 6 of existing shirt.

Well, that was a fun distraction from writing midterms. Now, can we all go back to hoping, according to our own tastes, that this design either print or die?

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

logicalcupcake

quality posts: 5 Private Messages logicalcupcake
Re: Beware of the Raisins

Butbutbut... I love raisins!

tico0001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
holothuria wrote:No, you're fudging. Because it has not been proved that this is too similar to Harmless, you started by establishing a rule, not stating a factual premise.

No no... I left that out because it is most obviously a factual premise. Well, I guess in a way you are right... it's conditional to having eyes. If you have eyes then you have two true premises.

~T

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
kupofather wrote:I kind of wish that it didn't have the words on it though. The joke would be just as effective without it I think.

I third that suggestion. It works fine with the words, but you've done a good job with the expression and it could totally stand alone without them. If this prints, take em out! ;)

runnerfrog13

Re: How am I feeling today?

I really like this idea, I actually thought about it as a kid. I also like how the horse is eating the scared face in the background.

The art could use some work though. The hands are bent at a really awkward angle, and the arms are strange too, but I can't quite put my finger on why. The soft gradients on the pumpkins, while they give the feeling of roundness, just don't seem to match the style of the other parts of the design (shirt, horse, grass, pants, background). The sad face in the front row is also pretty similar to the scared face in the background too, maybe make the background pumkin have a round mouth (though I do like how it evokes the feeling of the D: emoticon right now), or change the front face somehow.

runnerfrog13

Nekkochan wrote:I want this one, not for Halloween, but to wear to the shelter, where black cats always get adopted last - and we can't adopt them out in October.

Oh, that makes me so sad. I had 2 black cats growing up. We named them (creatively) Midnight and Midnight 2.

gayemeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gayemeyer
Re: Slow Death

Congratulations on your fogginess! I know how you feel about the surprise of it. This derby in particular seems to be full of in's and out's of fogginess. I'm proud of you and your work.

bebba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bebba
yankeebird wrote:I would hope you think it's nice since it's your submission. Nice, however, does not equal original.

The "nice" was a reply to the first comment. Second, don't be a hater.

tallon231

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tallon231
Re: YMC...BRAAAINS

Look.... the one doing a "C" is missing a hand LOL! best t-shirt ever.

aceon0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aceon0
Re: YMC...BRAAAINS

I agree, tallon. The subtle details on this design make it the perfect woot shirt. I can't believe it doesn't have more votes.

manikx66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manikx66
rachy wrote:Love the idea. If only it had 2 more suspects...

yeah i was trying to think of a couple more. a friend suggested a flaming bag of poo but i couldnt think of a good way to convey that. and as for a 5th i was a total loss. any suggestions :P

manikx66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manikx66

D3lusional

quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional
Re: Plankenstein

You should have submitted this as a daily. The woot staff would eat this sh*t up.

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
SJulian1 wrote:Voting for something you like and want to buy is fine. But there is a substantial amount of Ramyb voters that only give him support to watch people flip out over his designs being printed, and they do so with no intention of actually purchasing the shirt. I don't think as many of Ramyb's shirts would be printed, if such people weren't voting.

In the current reckoning ...
- Couldn’t Care Less Bear, 2nd place in the derby, 1002 votes, 4097 sales and counting.
- Cell Division, 30th place in the DT derby, 306 votes, 5090 sales and counting.
- Morning Powerup, 2nd place in the derby, 690 votes, 6778 sales and counting.

Recently reckoned ...
- I’m Just Doing My Job, 3rd place in the derby, 963 votes, 2078 sold.
- Substitute Teacher, 2nd place in the derby, 803 votes, 4268 sold.
- Red Revenge, 3rd place in the derby, 823 votes, 3847 sold.
- Funny Things are Everywhere, 1st place in the derby, 1149 votes, 5720 sold.
- Seasons, 1st place in the derby, 942 votes, 4591 sold.
- Aztec Sunset, 1st place in the derby, 854 votes, 6013 sold.

Those are the numbers.

epicfal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicfal
Re: Hipster Pumpkin

Oh man, I am totally going to carve a jack-o-lantern with a mustache this year.

epicfal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicfal
Re: Hipster Pumpkin

Also, that is a particularly sweet mustache.

towerspace

quality posts: 12 Private Messages towerspace
Re: The Hungry Dead

This is clever! Got my vote for sure.

baconnorntx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baconnorntx
Re: The Hungry Dead

This shirt doesn't need words. Great design!

thumperchick

quality posts: 231 Private Messages thumperchick

*sigh* Seeing Ghost Grinder drop out of the fog on this one in favor of chibi cutesy stuff is making me sad. I cannot believe the amazing art that isn't anywhere near the fog - why? For a turtle, bunny, & penguin? Yeah, those are cute. Yes, the make me smile - but that isn't what I want for Halloween... I had such high hopes for this derby.

baconnorntx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baconnorntx
Re: The New Unicorn

Love it and my black kitty too!

thumperchick

quality posts: 231 Private Messages thumperchick

cruelnv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cruelnv
holothuria wrote:No, you're fudging. Because it has not been proved that this is too similar to Harmless, you started by establishing a rule, not stating a factual premise...

This.

I apologize if my analogy wasn't clear, I was actually implying that I would *personally* see those things as being similar to each other. The whole point of the analogy was to show that just because I feel something is very similar to something else, it does not imply that I am the authority on such matters. Others may view them as very different. That is why I said "...this is a different shirt, and it's up to woot to decide if it's 'too similar.'"

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other user(s). Please keep in mind that these are only opinions and should not be inherently considered as factual statements. Thank you.

clbevilacqua

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clbevilacqua
Re: Over it

So simple....yet profound! GMV!

Jalepenos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jalepenos
Re: Beetle-Juice

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z16/generalcreig/CleverGirl.jpg

Jalepenos

I see what you did thar.

Jalepenos

This totally makes me think of Arrested Development, with George Michael and The Jerky Boys??!? yeahhhhhhh

reganrabbit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages reganrabbit
Re: Support the ACPA!

Had to squeeze one more design, but now I'm done!

This was partly a play on the ASPCA and combined with fact I own a dachshund who HATES the hot dog costume. I've also loved Halloweener, the book, too. Dogs can tell when you're laughing AT them. Oh yes, they can...

Jalepenos

rogerrogerroger wrote:i dont know much about baking. i assume this is how its done.

I'll second that thought

Exohdus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Exohdus

Oh god. Fantastic homage and design. RIP Brandon.

ricoandino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ricoandino
epicfal wrote:Also, that is a particularly sweet mustache.

Thanks! I appreciate it man!

laureneshapiro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laureneshapiro
Re: Too soon?

Poorly done, and just a bad idea in general. Not appropriate, sorry...

laureneshapiro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laureneshapiro
Re: Beware of the Raisins

this also applies to pretzels and nutri-grain bars.

sexylittlerobot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages sexylittlerobot

I love all of your entries. If only :\

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
Re: Kitty Needs a Hug

Tough to get the joke here if you don't know the title. Simply looks like a beat up cat puppet on a monster's tongue, which just happens to be impaled there. Adding the title onto the actual design would be helpful, but maybe too cliche? I dunno.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
kevlar51 wrote:Thanks all

It's 6B pencil, but it looks like charcoal once it gets the digital treatment.

I love using charcoal, but I hate to think of what it'd do to my scanner

I also love charcoal, probably my favorite single art tool, but I really need to dig out more of my art stuff from the moving boxes that are still hiding most of our stuff...

Anyway, to echo other comments, excellent texture, perspective, color...lovely!

Jcicely

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jcicely

As a turtle lover, and a halloween lover, I'd totally buy this shirt! I love the joke, and the art.

Re: Slow Death

Jcicely

Crystal0Blake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Crystal0Blake
Re: Two Great Holidays

This is cool. Its not offensive to anyone. Those who know the significance of the symbol will smile with appreciation.. a conversation starter for others. awesome
Thanks for the design

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
Re: I was a vet once..

While I laughed (double with the name of shirt) it is a text only design and doesn't follow the derby rules.

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Support the ACPA!

Not really striking me as a halloween shirt.

superstargoddess

quality posts: 2 Private Messages superstargoddess
Re: Adorable Monstrosity

If this one makes it, I will 100% be getting it!

I am looking to buy "Life Choices", any size, send me a message!

So fuhqued up.