DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 129 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Please don't be a figment of my imagination! Please don't disappear because the code looks all weird and stuff and the html breaks something like how my PMs are displayed.

Clings embarrassing to the this new message board area...

Adds something to make this actually on-topic.

Here's a link to an awesome guide on how to make distressing for shirt designs, with a "how to" on the process and links to a texture pack for the people that just want an easy way to texture goodness without all the photoshop fuss: http://cxcitybrand.com/how-to-get-a-vintage-distressed-look-on-designs-using-textures/

Texture pack link ready for use on designs: http://cxcitybrand.com/free-screen-print-ready-textures/

Flipit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Flipit

Staff

I would suggest the 35lpi or coarser- especially on dark garments. Remember, screen printing has horrible dot gain, and printing a reversed out image(shirt showing through), such as the one in the article, always tends to close in. Plus, often times the print shop has to create a CHOKED base. For instance: What if they wanted to print this in bright green?

I like the 22.5 angle (prolly defaults to 23) on ALL films ALL the time. That seems to minimize moire.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 129 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
Flipit wrote:I would suggest the 35lpi or courser- especially on dark garments. Remember, screen printing has horrible dot gain, and printing a reversed out image, such as the one in the article, always tends to close in. Plus, often times the print shop has to create a CHOKED base.

I like the 22.5 angle (prolly defaults to 23) on ALL films ALL the time. That seems to minimize moire.

Ah I had wondered why in the tutorial they'd set their halftones to 35 LPI for big, fatter dots. I'm guessing it's, as you say, because they are using the distressing texture to create a void in the ink and with darker shirts printers tend to lay down a base of white or light color first and then the actual ink color. So if the dots are too fine or small they will fill in with ink.

I have heard both 22.5 and 67.5 are good angles for screen printing. Is there a difference between the two or is it just a personal preference?

Flipit

Staff

The screen fabric on a print frame runs horizontal (0°) and vertical (90°).

22.5 rotates the dot pattern in your design counterclockwise off 0° to avoid moire. 67.5 would in effect rotate it clockwise the same amount. Or visa versa, can't remember. But, yes, it boils down to personal taste and what looks better with your particular design. Both those numbers will work.

susiewoots

quality posts: 16 Private Messages susiewoots

Diana and Flip this is what I needed!! Yeah!!!!! So much better that its in photoshop as well and I understand it! :D Thanks so much!

susiewoots

quality posts: 16 Private Messages susiewoots
susiewoots wrote:Diana and Flip this is what I needed!! Yeah!!!!! So much better that its in photoshop as well and I understand it! :D Thanks so much!

Of course now I'm going to be stuck making really cool halftone images before I ever finish and submit any tshirt design. :P

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

OK, so I get virtually none of that,not least because stoopid office Web filter won't let me folly the link. But it IS real cool to finally have this new forum. >simpers<

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64

What would be the easiest way to distress a design in illustrator?

Flipit

Staff

Lish64 wrote:What would be the easiest way to distress a design in illustrator?

I used to have some distress tiff images w/transparent backgrounds I could place over the entire illustrator design and change the tiff fill to the shirt color and PRESTO! Done. Just make sure the image is coarse enough to avoid filling in (see above).

Funny: Back in the day(before someone decided distressed images were 'cool'), we spent THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS on expensive dryers and sophisticated temp measuring devices to AVOID the distressed look, which in reality is a sign of improperly cured ink. So it's kind of ironic when I have to produce this stuff on purpose.