WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We've thought long and hard about it, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a more exciting Hugh Jackman vehicle than 2008's Australia! So this week, give us your best- No, wait. That's a terrible idea. Nevermind. Let's focus instead on the commonwealth of Australia. Show us your best Australian designs! You've got plenty of stuff to inspire you, from Aboriginal art to walkabouts to naturalist Australian art to great wine to rugby to the diverse, unique wildlife that all wants you dead. Australia's got a lot to offer. Don't just slap a koala on a t-shirt and call it a day. Here are your rules:

• No pop culture. That includes the usual video games, Star Wars, and the like.
  • No text. Nope. None at all.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I had an idea but the Farside already did it. :^)

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Lived in Australia for over a year. Loved it <3 This derby is going to make me nostalgic!

bluejester

quality posts: 558 Private Messages bluejester

Allow me to provide a little Mood Music

ChaosDoctor07

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07

The "no pop culture" was pretty much an inevitability after this latest derby. The lack of restrictions on animals....Well, we'll see how that turns out. I'm just hoping to see a blue-ringed octopus shirt somewhere in the Derby.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

jorlyfish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jorlyfish

Huzzah for no pop culture references! Will be excited to see the designs for this one.

unionboggle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unionboggle

how many different ways can we depict "shrimp on da barby"

"taste the beast"

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

I'm fair dinkum

bluejester

I'll trade you the "no text" rule for a "no rabbits/bunnies" rule.

Given Australia's past history It seems like an easy choice to do the little critters in a design.

Not that I'm a bunny hater hare-I mean here, but sometimes it seems like a little too easy to fit them in.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen

So is this going to be the first year we don't have a fall derby?

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51

no pop eh?
Missing a great opportunity for a Zelda boomerang ;)

higgyce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages higgyce

would a map of Australia with wolverines claws through it be considered pop culture? I couldnt actually do it but I think it could be cool

bluejester

Spiritgreen wrote:So is this going to be the first year we don't have a fall derby?

Was beginning to wonder that myself.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
higgyce wrote:would a map of Australia with wolverines claws through it be considered pop culture? I couldnt actually do it but I think it could be cool

Yes. Wolverine is part of pop culture.

higgyce

curli76 wrote:Yes. Wolverine is part of pop culture.

awe so sad...I only thought of it 'cause they mentioned Hugh

unionboggle

fall isn't over yet. certainly would like to see that theme come up too!

"taste the beast"

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Who comes from the land down under?
The thought makes me shudder with highly inappropriate t-shirt ideas!

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
higgyce wrote:awe so sad...I only thought of it 'cause they mentioned Hugh

Not that sad; there's been a lot of pop culture here of late. It's appropriate that Woot! take a breather. There's a million other ideas that are Australian-related that will hopefully make for some awesome shirts.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Quolls!!!! :3

jorlyfish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jorlyfish

Hmm, what about classic Australian characters, like Ned Kelly? I'm on the fence about whether this is "pop culture" or not. I realize they're trying to avoid Star Wars, Zelda, Steve Irwin, etc. etc. with this more than anything, but would hate to come up with something only to have it rejected for the pop culture rule.

WierdBMD

quality posts: 4 Private Messages WierdBMD

I will throw this idea out for grabs, but not sure if it is a pop culture reference- RISK the board game. I and everyone I know has the strategy to take Australia first adn gurantee themselves 2 armies. You can also hunker down there. Any ideas?

coffeegrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coffeegrace
ChaosDoctor07 wrote:The "no pop culture" was pretty much an inevitability after this latest derby. The lack of restrictions on animals....Well, we'll see how that turns out. I'm just hoping to see a blue-ringed octopus shirt somewhere in the Derby.

Ok, a blue-ringed octopus shirt would be really cool! I may attempt to draw one. :-)

wesmike

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wesmike

Durn the no pop. Was kinda hoping for a clever LOST shirt to pop up...

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

I sense incoming drama with the "no pop culture" rule and how it gets applied. Best strategy is to just avoid it all together.

Narfcake

quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
WierdBMD wrote:I will throw this idea out for grabs, but not sure if it is a pop culture reference- RISK the board game. ...

I'd consider it pop culture. Anyways, a Risk-based design by the kev-mazan duo was done already.

higgyce

alright I came up with a new idea that I'm working on...a Kiwi bird looking at a Kiwi fruit with a confused look on its face...so far i'm kinda proud of it

bassanimation

higgyce wrote:alright I came up with a new idea that I'm working on...a Kiwi bird looking at a Kiwi fruit with a confused look on its face...so far i'm kinda proud of it

Careful, there's already been a shirt very similar :{

kinzoku

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku

Got an idea quickly for once, I feel like I need advice on it though so I'll probably put a sketch up later.

higgyce

bassanimation wrote:Careful, there's already been a shirt very similar :{

awe boo why does this one have to be so hard? mine is very similar to that...not quite as cute though.../sigh not like I would have won anyway...guess its back to tryin to think of ideas

unionboggle

higgyce wrote:alright I came up with a new idea that I'm working on...a Kiwi bird looking at a Kiwi fruit with a confused look on its face...so far i'm kinda proud of it

also Kiwi's are from new zealand, not australia.

"taste the beast"

WierdBMD

quality posts: 4 Private Messages WierdBMD
Narfcake wrote:I'd consider it pop culture. Anyways, a Risk-based design by the kev-mazan duo was done already.

I know it was done, and I wanted it to win SOOOOOO bad, but it didn't. Any re-attempts I would love, because I love RISK.

clanbryce

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clanbryce
bassanimation wrote:Careful, there's already been a shirt very similar :{

Still one of my favorite shirts!

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
higgyce wrote:awe boo why does this one have to be so hard? mine is very similar to that...not quite as cute though.../sigh not like I would have won anyway...guess its back to tryin to think of ideas

How appropriate that derby was called "Heartbreak"?

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow

I thought kiwis were in New Zealand...

Edit: Oops, I guess this been pointed out already.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

Unless you are referencing Australia's habit of 'adopting' successful New Zealanders as their own. They are definately both New Zealand icons.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
cdrewlow wrote:I thought kiwis were in New Zealand...

Also hobbits.

Nothing follows.

higgyce

cdrewlow wrote:I thought kiwis were in New Zealand...

honestly dont know...I just did a google search for Australian animals and they came up

bassanimation

higgyce wrote:awe boo why does this one have to be so hard? mine is very similar to that...not quite as cute though.../sigh not like I would have won anyway...guess its back to tryin to think of ideas

Merh, so sorry. I know how it feels to be super excited to do something and then boom, idea's already out there. Happens to me all the time it seems. Keep trying tho!

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
jasneko wrote:Lived in Australia for over a year. Loved it <3 This derby is going to make me nostalgic!

i'm jealous. i want to live there

bluejester

higgyce wrote:honestly dont know...I just did a google search for Australian animals and they came up

#googlefail