Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake
tjost wrote:... and saw that they have now raised the first day sales threshold to 6000 prints. ...

Here we go again ...

PM sent, and those about to discuss this matter, it's probably better to discuss here instead.

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

tjost wrote:Well I gotta say im a little bummed/upset because I was wondering why the buy button hadn't started hoping yet so I looked at the sales preview sheet and saw that they have now raised the first day sales threshold to 6000 prints. Last week it was 5000 at least thats what it showed on epic failures sales preview page. Really feel like woots starting to penalize popular first day designs :s some advanced notice would have been nice. Just saying.

We're continuing to make significant production improvements that have allowed us to increase our daily threshold. Our goal has always been to sell as many shirts as we can produce in the first day since we've always seen a correlation to better debut shirts faring better in the Reckoning. The data since the move to a 5k threshold doesn't show a significant impact on ongoing sales, but in reality, we don't have a lot data points to compare. Anecdotally, shirts like Kitchen Warfare have likely performed better because of the additional shirts in the 'wild.'

We'll continue to keep an eye on the impact and I'm sure you know by our industry leading commission structure; we keep the artists' interests in mind.

Snapster and I are well aligned on this. See his previous post here

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
joelterrific wrote:We're continuing to make significant production improvements that have allowed us to increase our daily threshold. Our goal has always been to sell as many shirts as we can produce in the first day since we've always seen a correlation to better debut shirts faring better in the Reckoning. The data since the move to a 5k threshold doesn't show a significant impact on ongoing sales, but in reality, we don't have a lot data points to compare. Anecdotally, shirts like Kitchen Warfare have likely performed better because of the additional shirts in the 'wild.' If you imagine we continued with the 3K threshold, imagine how many of your fans would have come today only to find the shirt sold out.

I hate to think that it's perceived as a punishment for there to be such an incredible demand for your design. We'll continue to keep an eye on the impact and I'm sure you know; we keep the artists' interests in mind.

Don't get me wrong I love you guys and I feel that you do reward and treat your artists better then any other tee site out there. Its just a bit demoralizing to have it be so hard now to sell out on the first day and it seems to just be getting harder. Its a victory for the artist to have a sellout from a personal standpoint and while there may be more shirts in the wild it does dramatically affect the money earned by the artist. I don't see it as a corporate greed thing because your not making tons more money (if anything you make less overall, but the artist makes less still) I view it as an attempt to make wooters happy but at the expense of the artist.
I also understand the idea behind more sales through exposure but we still don't have much hard data on that and it will be hard to ever show a direct correlation. I was more depressed to see that increase in threshold without some forewarning to dampen the mental blow. Anyways im very very thankful to woot but I just hope artists don't suffer in an attempt to please the masses.

mindylove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mindylove

Of course the kitchen winner was a video game thing... Bummer As a cooking enthusiast I wish it was something I could relate to.

Papaya79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Papaya79

I am not an artist myself, but these changes are unacceptable. As a consumer, one of the things that drew me to this site was the reciprocity with the artist. It created a community that was mutually beneficial for the company and the artist. Increasing the cap without any increased compensation for the artist AND without providing warning is teetering on breach of trust. The artists no doubt choose a site on which to put art partially based upon the audience and partially because it is lucrative for them. If the artist had foreknowledge of the changes, they may choose to take their art elsewhere. That's their right, their choice. These changes are a terrible way for Woot to "take care" of the people that keep them in business. Come on, Woot, word of mouth is not going to make up for the money lost on the cap increase. You can't possible believe that. That's corporate speak for "we're going to do what we want to, and there's nothing you can do about it." That's a mega cop out. Did you all learn nothing from Netflix?!!! Making changes to the structure of the business without informing all of the cogs of that wheel creates corporate disaster. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But Woot is losing touch with what I love(d) about the site.

Papaya79

AND Woot is also inadvertently promoting an increase in the most generic pop culture shirts possible in order to make a design lucrative for the artist and to survive on the reckoning charts. So, get ready to say goodbye to all those awesome abstract artistic creations. At least I already have a drawer full...

pinkygeekydo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinkygeekydo
mindylove wrote:Of course the kitchen winner was a video game thing... Bummer As a cooking enthusiast I wish it was something I could relate to.

As a baker/chef and a gamer girl I love it! But I get where you're coming from. I'd rather wear a game related shirt than a cupcake on my chest.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
pinkygeekydo wrote:As a baker/chef and a gamer girl I love it! But I get where you're coming from. I'd rather wear a game related shirt than a cupcake on my chest.

I thought it was one of the most kitcheny designs. Since it had a mixer etc and not just food.

And it is a bit late but a cool short portal film

Edit- #sold 5465

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 148 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

First day sales: 5468

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Last wooter to woot: whapang
Last purchase time: Friday, November 11, 2011, 11:58:51 PM Central Time
Order pace: 0m 15.797s
Woot wage: $3,753.08
Woots sold: 5465

Last wooter to woot: Ezoni
Last purchase time: Friday, November 11, 2011, 11:59:27 PM Central Time
Order pace: 0m 15.795s
Woot wage: $3,751.51
Woots sold: 5468

Last wooter to woot: goodmansimmons
Last purchase time: Saturday, November 12, 2011, 12:02:00 AM Central Time
Order pace: 0m 15.820s
Woot wage: $3,744.84
Woots sold: 5469

First day 5468 - not a sellout, first day raised to 6,000

mattlussier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattlussier

6000 shirt sellout is unfortunate.
I have been BLESSED to have woot print 2 of my designs on shirts:

first: COEXIST at a 3000 shirt cap:
http://shirt.woot.com/shirts/coexist
this shirt reckoned at: 7576

and the 2nd: ALWAYS LEAVE A NOTE at the 5000 shirt cap:
http://shirt.woot.com/shirts/always-leave-a-note
this shirt will probably reckoned at: 5750

After my first print experience i was VERY pleased about the artist compensation. I told EVERY artist i knew and met, that they should consider submitting shirt concepts to woot for consideration.

After the BUMP to the 5000 cap, and my second woot shirt print, i reluctantly decided to pitch some of my other designs elsewhere first. (some will run on nowherebad.com & stupidhurts.us in the near future) i will VERY probably make less by quantity, but i will feel better that profit-sharing between artist and company will be more in sync.
( i'm not complaining...woot needs to make money & i'm a capitalist, so, more power to them! )

I do think woot is AWESOME. I just now realize that my first print experience was not in keeping with what they would prefer to pay out to a designer.

As they increase the sellout number without modifying the per-shirt payout to the artist, it has made the reality-check a little more sour than sweet.

i'm not indignant... just sad that it isn't a no-brainer to submit a design to woot first.

i'm one of the least talented artists that woot has printed, but i design simple shirts that i would buy if i saw in a store.
With both prints, it has been exciting to see the market respond positively! i very much thank woot for the opportunity and the experience.

just my 2 coppers on the sellout bump.

Laureenmt

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Laureenmt

It's hard to overstate my satisfaction with this shirt.

In the Good Ole Days, this would have been a sellout!

joelterrific

Staff

tjost wrote:Don't get me wrong I love you guys and I feel that you do reward and treat your artists better then any other tee site out there. Its just a bit demoralizing to have it be so hard now to sell out on the first day and it seems to just be getting harder. Its a victory for the artist to have a sellout from a personal standpoint and while there may be more shirts in the wild it does dramatically affect the money earned by the artist. I don't see it as a corporate greed thing because your not making tons more money (if anything you make less overall, but the artist makes less still) I view it as an attempt to make wooters happy but at the expense of the artist.
I also understand the idea behind more sales through exposure but we still don't have much hard data on that and it will be hard to ever show a direct correlation. I was more depressed to see that increase in threshold without some forewarning to dampen the mental blow. Anyways im very very thankful to woot but I just hope artists don't suffer in an attempt to please the masses.

I understand there's a badge of distinction that comes with a sellout, but remember that the sellout has always been tied to inherent production capacity and not a market researched ideal that told us "selling a shirt out is the best thing for everyone." For us, the goal has always been to capture as many first day sales as possible since we see that as the long-term strategy for the business. The more wooters the more sales, the more sales, the more artists we put to work and the more shirts ultimately sell. The sellout, while an event, isn't ideal.

joelterrific

Staff

Papaya79 wrote:I am not an artist myself, but these changes are unacceptable. As a consumer, one of the things that drew me to this site was the reciprocity with the artist. It created a community that was mutually beneficial for the company and the artist. Increasing the cap without any increased compensation for the artist AND without providing warning is teetering on breach of trust. The artists no doubt choose a site on which to put art partially based upon the audience and partially because it is lucrative for them. If the artist had foreknowledge of the changes, they may choose to take their art elsewhere. That's their right, their choice. These changes are a terrible way for Woot to "take care" of the people that keep them in business. Come on, Woot, word of mouth is not going to make up for the money lost on the cap increase. You can't possible believe that. That's corporate speak for "we're going to do what we want to, and there's nothing you can do about it." That's a mega cop out. Did you all learn nothing from Netflix?!!! Making changes to the structure of the business without informing all of the cogs of that wheel creates corporate disaster. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But Woot is losing touch with what I love(d) about the site.

Papaya79, your comment tells me we've done a terrible job communicating to the community our symbiotic relationship with the artists. There is no limit to the commission we'll pay, and most artist would agree the earning potential here is by far the most competitive. We've paid millions in commissions over the years and have no plans to stop.

Papaya79

joelterrific wrote:Papaya79, your comment tells me we've done a terrible job communicating to the community our symbiotic relationship with the artists. There is no limit to the commission we'll pay, and most artist would agree the earning potential here is by far the most competitive. We've paid millions in commissions over the years and have no plans to stop.

There's simply no way that raising the cap to that many more shirts will not affect the artist's bottom line. If the goal is simply to maximize first day sales, there should be an adjustment in the initial payout. Right now, and artist that sells 200 shirts makes the same as someone who sells 5,999. That's simply ridiculous! Had you waited until you had solid stats to say "here is proof that to our best estimation this will not harm the artists bottom line", I would be ok with that. However, by your own admission, there hasn't been enough testing of the 5,000 mark to prove otherwise. Most shirts are not affected. But your top sellers are completely impacted by this. First day sales have a ripple effect throughout the sales life of each shirt from where they start on the reckoning to how fast they fall off. I will absolutely insist on saying "Bad form, Woot. Bad form." Filling the needs of the consumer is OF COURSE the priority. But there are ways to meet the demand that are not to the detriment of the artist.

Dualll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dualll

Speaking of the companion cube...

Check out this cake I made for my friend's birthday :D

So the cake wasn't a lie!

RockyRR

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RockyRR

I've always been satisfied with Woot purchases, that is, until now. I just received from shirt.woot the shirt I ordered. I ordered a size XL, what I received is a shirt that says XL on it, but at best, it's a size Medium. That "stinks". No more shirts from Woot for me.

smallville824

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smallville824

Staff

RockyRR wrote:I've always been satisfied with Woot purchases, that is, until now. I just received from shirt.woot the shirt I ordered. I ordered a size XL, what I received is a shirt that says XL on it, but at best, it's a size Medium. That "stinks". No more shirts from Woot for me.

I'm sending you a private message. If you have any questions about any order, please contact us at service@woot.com.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Dualll wrote:Speaking of the companion cube...

Check out this cake I made for my friend's birthday :D

So the cake wasn't a lie!

Nice

threebytesfull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages threebytesfull

My cake was definitely a lie: ordered this but instead received a second 'The Cheese is a Liederkranz'

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake
threebytesfull wrote:My cake was definitely a lie: ordered this but instead received a second 'The Cheese is a Liederkranz'

Take pics and email the issue with your order number to service@woot.com.