WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We're big fans of the natural beauty of the universe around us here at Shirt.Woot. Part of the real majesty, though, comes from our tiny attempts and advancements in understanding it through science. It's one of those puzzles that only gets more fascinating and more intriguing every time you think you've figured a piece of it out. So this week, we want to see shirts depicting the elegance and form of mathematics in nature. Yeah, that's right. Math, scourge of middle schoolers everywhere, is behind the scenes making all kinds of stuff happen in nature. Show us your takes on Fibonacci numbers, fractals, golden ratios, and the like. Try to commit something like this to t-shirt form. Or, y'know, put two little birds on a shirt and say something lame like, "LOL COUNTING!!!1!" Now for the rules:

No text only designs.
We want mathematics, not just arithmetic. Don't give us some lame You+Me+Baby-Me=2 joke.

Quality Posts

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
Don't give us some wheat grass You+Me+Baby-Me=2 joke

Man, that is a l-a-m-e joke.

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

Aww...was kinda hoping for a fall themed derby this week :,(

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd

I kinda wish that fractals were banned. Not that I have anything against fractals per se, but I'd rather the fog weren't comprised of 9 swirly shirts with fractal in the title.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

I have no idea what this is going to result in, except maybe cute animals drawn on a Vitruvian man diagram

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

Kinda wish there was a "No Pop Culture" rule. Not exactly sure how one would wedge pop culture in, but we have some very talented people here on woot and it wouldn't surprise me if the wheels are already turning...

That said, will there be a decent amount of "I'm not seeing the theme here..." rejections if people try too hard to stick in pop culture?

Not that I am against its occasional use, just the overdose of it in the recent kitchen derby has left me a little overloaded on it for the forseeable future...

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Would this include the mathematical formulae that govern the physics of biomechanical principles? Or are we purely talking about the kinds of -numerical sequences- that determine growth and proportions, etc.?

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Can "nature" be fake nature?

IE- there are a lot of these geometrical thing in The World of the Dark Crystal by Brian Fround:

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I think someone could do a brilliant shirt about the nautilus and how it really doesn't follow the golden ratio.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

Given my observations on woot! tendencies I foresee a lot of rabbit multiplication references.

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets

So, my teachers always told me that math would be important later in life.

This would be the first example of them being correct.

Nothing follows.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/59956

This should help people understand the whole "math in nature" theme a little better.

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
axphw1 wrote:Given my observations on woot! tendencies I foresee a lot of rabbit multiplication references.

Sadly, yes.

On the flip side, I guess that means I won't need to spend my money either.

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh

A math nature derby? Getting out my recycled calculator!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
axphw1 wrote:Given my observations on woot! tendencies I foresee a lot of rabbit multiplication references.

Darnit. I was just about set on a design of an exhausted doe bunny surrounded by her 987 babies! Or, er - well, as many as would fit on the shirt, as long as it was F(n).

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
SkekTek wrote:I have no idea what this is going to result in, except maybe cute animals drawn on a Vitruvian man diagram

Without a Star Wars ban, I predict a Vitruvian Wampa.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

Interesting. I'm curious to see how the artists will work with this one. Sounds difficult.

paigeg

clarinerd wrote:I kinda wish that fractals were banned. Not that I have anything against fractals per se, but I'd rather the fog weren't comprised of 9 swirly shirts with fractal in the title.

On the flip side, it is coming up on winter, Christmas, etc., and fractals in the form of snowflakes (prefereably without faces) would be OK with me.

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

I know we'll see a couple entries that somehow try to shoehorn Portal into this theme, given those shirts seem like instant contenders.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
paigeg wrote:Darnit. I was just about set on a design of an exhausted doe bunny surrounded by her 987 babies! Or, er - well, as many as would fit on the shirt, as long as it was F(n).

I was thinking of something along the same lines:

My plan is to show the exponential growth generation to generation, but I'm also going to show the negatives of inbreeding and have generation 4 and 5 (if they will fit on the shirt) have silly mutations (ie 3 ears, 1 ear, two tales, extra eyes, etc.).

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
novastarj wrote:I know we'll see a couple entries that somehow try to shoehorn Portal into this theme, given those shirts seem like instant contenders.

I'm already working on something: The parabolic trajectory of cakes and/or companion cubes. I do plan to put all the equations super imposed on the image so hopefully people can learn from it as well.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
thatrobert wrote:Interesting. I'm curious to see how the artists will work with this one. Sounds difficult.

aren't your pi shirts all mathy in nature?

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
paigeg wrote:On the flip side, it is coming up on winter, Christmas, etc., and fractals in the form of snowflakes (prefereably without faces) would be OK with me.

Snowflakes themselves are symmetrical.
Don't forget symmetry! Symmetry is math! (Why am I so excited by this?)

unionboggle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unionboggle
curli76 wrote:http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/59956

This should help people understand the whole "math in nature" theme a little better.

that's a great video. Thanks for sharing.

"taste the beast"

geneotype

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geneotype
cdrewlow wrote:Without a Star Wars ban, I predict a Vitruvian Wampa.

Just about what I was gonna say. No pop culture ban, you might as well expect every Mario/Star Wars/Star Trek/video game number ref on a shirt

geneotype

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geneotype
thatrobert wrote:Interesting. I'm curious to see how the artists will work with this one. Sounds difficult.

See: No Ban, Pop Culture References for complete details.

norkia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norkia

Now I have the sudden urge to watch Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land.

Can't wait to see the entries for this derby!

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 21 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
We want mathematics, not just arithmetic. Don't give us some wheat grass You+Me+Baby-Me=2 joke.

Oh. Darn. This gave me a pretty funny idea, but an idea that falls under the rule. I take it this wouldn't be an allowed t-shirt? Substitute some art in for different portions.

You + Me (Baby) =
-(-[tasteful]Butt [text]MAMMALS])

Double negative, song reference.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

A shirt with a representation of the Doppler Effect.... with the equation where
f = (1-vs,r/c)fo not equal zebra depicted on it (for the Big Bang fans).

Yes I think I have some research to do, cue up season 1, episode #6.

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
norkia wrote:Now I have the sudden urge to watch Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land.

Mathmagic Land was the first thing I thought of when I saw this theme, too! My HS geometry teacher showed that video in class, then assigned a project that, if done in t-shirt form, would probably fit this Derby theme.

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
no1 wrote:aren't your pi shirts all mathy in nature?

Actually, they're mathy WITHOUT nature. The nature angle is what is stumping me...

axphw1

Chaos Theory (Butterfly Effect)

Thoughts?

aeris82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aeris82

I recommend shirtifying this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK5Z709J2eo

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
norkia wrote:Now I have the sudden urge to watch Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land.

Or my other fave math film The Dot and The Line.

"To the vector belong the spoils!"

manikx66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manikx66
aeris82 wrote:I recommend shirtifying this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK5Z709J2eo

i like the circles so im gonna work with that since i actually have some frigging time this week :P
hope you like what i come up with.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Mavyn wrote:I think someone could do a brilliant shirt about the nautilus and how it really doesn't follow the golden ratio.

I'd be down with a well-done nautilus shirt as long as it was not cutesy. Single tone, clean lines, shading, I can see it.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
axphw1 wrote:Chaos Theory (Butterfly Effect)

Thoughts?

Doesn't really show the Chaos Theory, IMO.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

axphw1

kylemittskus wrote:Doesn't really show the Chaos Theory, IMO.

Fair point, but the swirls are meant to be a Lorenz attractor.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
SkekTek wrote:Can "nature" be fake nature?

This is my question too...I'm thinking of the fractal dragon I started a while ago, just not sure if it counts...I mean scales on reptiles are definitely fractals, just not the way I drew them:

paigeg

axphw1 wrote:Chaos Theory (Butterfly Effect)

Thoughts?

+1 from me for the first design, and the first one to make me not want to rip the top of my head off because I am SO not a math nerd. I don't know squat about math, except what I can Google (holdover from my headcase anti-establishment days), but I GET this. I don't need to know the fancy-named equations or whatthefrigever to get the symmetry and the abstraction.
Nice kick-off for the derby!