dawnmoneque

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnmoneque

Ok, maybe because I'm an English person and not a math person, but isn't this a line from "The Outsiders"? Or a reference to that? Maybe I'm old and remembering it wrong?

veva05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages veva05
PsyberS wrote:Far away it looks like an evil bunny.

OH yeah!!!!

calebmitchell

quality posts: 64 Private Messages calebmitchell

Okay...I didn't want to show off my ignorance yet again by being the first person to ask the question, but I'll bite: what's a golden ratio?

cliff75

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cliff75

Looking at the map, it appears this has its highest appeal in the douchey states.

yankervitch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yankervitch
calebmitchell wrote:Okay...I didn't want to show off my ignorance yet again by being the first person to ask the question, but I'll bite: what's a golden ratio?

The golden ratio is the 'perfect proportion'; aesthetically, it 'looks right' (if you think of a generic rectangle, it's likely to look 'best' when it's at golden ratio proportions), and mathematically, it can be described as (1+sqrt(5))/2. What makes it so perfect? It can also be defined abstractly for two given lengths with a>b such that a/b = (a+b)/a.

There are lots of fun 'tricks' about the golden ratio:

Numerically, the ratio of each number in the Fibonacci sequence to the previous number will, in the limit, approach the golden ratio. For more math fun about Fibonacci numbers, click here.

In the shirt, there's a rectangle drawn to the golden ratio proportions: and then inside of it, there's another, smaller, rectangle drawn to golden ratio proportions. And so and and so forth. The spiral that the artist drew that connects the corners of these golden ratio rectangles is known as the Fibonacci spiral - so named because of the relationship between the Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio.

For what it's worth, while the ratio is indeed beautiful and it does occur in many parts of nature -- it's not in many of the things we typically associate with it. For example, as a substitute for the Fibonacci spiral, many people in the past have attempted to use the Nautilus shell as an example of the golden ratio in nature. While it's close, it doesn't actually follow the golden ratio. For more on this, and other old myths about the golden ratio, check out this letter to the Mathematical Association of America.

maccecht

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maccecht
PsyberS wrote:Far away it looks like an evil bunny.

It does!! Now I have to think about getting one.. for when people see me coming towards them from down the street. I will strike fear.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 129 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

First Day Sales: 2634

cakes85

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cakes85
Radscoolian wrote:Hey! Thanks, everyone! I am very thankful for Woot and the Woot community! Happy post-turkey day!

Hey, I really love this design and I was wondering if I could use it for a book cover. Thoughts?

x89codred89x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages x89codred89x
Rudeboy2025 wrote:I didn't think I could ever associate math and beauty, but this is GORGEOUS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkGeOWYOFoA

brendecko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brendecko

Got Radscoolian's "Everything is Gold" shirt that I ordered - it is absolutely beautiful! Several people complimented me on it while I was wearing it today. Of course, I told them where they could buy one for themselves ;)