jmf1081

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmf1081
Re: Ninjas in space (with dinosaurs)

This is a cool shirt. But why can't you see through the domes on the dino heads. Anywhere one dino head is in front of another dino it looks like there is a hole in the background dino.
I still think it is cool though.

ladykatzuya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladykatzuya
Re: In the name of breakfast . . . I shall punish you!

Breakfast is the most important meal. But I never eat it. Please vote! ^_-

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Wrong Droid

This blows. Cheer up SG, I'm sure you'll find this gem a home elsewhere.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Alien Bunneh

Alien bunneh is modeled off of one of my favorite Sci-Fi movies of all time: The War of the Worlds (the 50's one).

ldvaughn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ldvaughn

i absolutely love it

You've always been able to see the other view of whats through the other portal.

I feel that the back side of the dog is a little, not angled the exact same, but it's not insanely noticeable, especially on a shirt. I think it's a super awesome shirt and I wanna buy it

devsop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devsop
Re: Scarred for life......

The broken wand is a nice touch.

littlebirdbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littlebirdbear
Re: May the Cookies Be with you!

I like your design concept. The words in the middle of the image greatly detracts from it though.

ermine4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ermine4
Re: This is a Space Ermine

whoa I'm on a shirt!

meepee

quality posts: 33 Private Messages meepee
Re: Dead Star

Yeah, I KNOW the visual puns derby was 107 weeks ago. But I couldn't help it.

justfriday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justfriday
Re: Inevitable Betrayal

wow....just wow. I have 6 siblings. there all getting 10.

Narfcake

quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
Re: Close Encounters of a Tasty Kind

Since I'm a sucker for cupcakes, GMV. ^_^

Reera

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Reera
logicalcupcake wrote:<3

I agree. I love it

Narfcake

Re: Ninjas in space (with dinosaurs)

Much too silly of a concept - LOVE it! GMV!

Narfcake

Re: Escape

PS shirt #10? I'm hoping so. GMV.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
smarag wrote:Any chance that this has a little inspiration from Full Metal Alchemist?

*facepalm*

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

mrsbashor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrsbashor
Re: Woodland Exterminators

I need. Really, I do.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
dmaz wrote:It's no wonder that so many noobs or second week shirts are shirts from these popular users, falling flat once it wins the derby. Woot is probably finally noticing, that though they're getting the votes, they're not always getting the sales that reflect the votes.

I will not argue with your opinions in the rest of your post, but this particular point simply should not be in my thread. You can say what you want about my shirts, but certainly not that they don't sell. In fact, there have been many weeks in which my designs outsold other shirts that placed ahead of them. This week my design got 3rd place but sold nearly double the first place shirt and five times the second place. The fact that I have designs that have been in the reckoning for only a couple of weeks doesn't mean that they fell flat, only that they won a few weeks ago. Has every design of mine done extremely well in sales? No, but my sales are definitely well above average on woot, and that's something I pride myself on. Perhaps what you are saying is true of other "popular" designers, but in that case you should take this discussion to a different thread.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Existential Whale

Thanks everyone! Glad to see so many fans. I'm not one that usually makes pop-culture references, but since this derby was basically calling for it in the description, I thought this might be a good time! In addition to Hitchhiker's, I also had a little Star Trek IV on the mind.

I brainstormed a few variations until I decided on this version, which I hope is a wearable design that can stand on its own - whether you know the references or not.

Thanks again for all the comments!

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
smarag wrote:Any chance that this has a little inspiration from Full Metal Alchemist?

Maybe! What is that? ;)

viper1227

quality posts: 0 Private Messages viper1227
Re: Hugs And Kisses

I really hope this one makes it, so far it is by far my favorite.

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
twooten1985 wrote:A Clockwork Orange is a 1971 Sci-Fi Drama.

Okay, you have nothing in the design that reflects any of the sci-fi in the movie. There's a rather important origami unicorn in Blade Runner. If I put that on a shirt because it was in a sci-fi movie, that isn't going to cut it as being part of sci-fi.

There is nothing sci-fi about an eye with make-up, regardless of what the reference is to.

Tythiss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tythiss
Re: Mal's Pals

ungh, food coma

Can you feel it?

thumperchick

quality posts: 236 Private Messages thumperchick
Re: It's inevitable (please revote!!!)

This shirt MUST print. My husband is a Star Trek NERD, who loves South Park, AND... is named Kenny. I rest my case.

kevay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevay

Nooooooo!

chuym

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chuym
vaiv wrote:recolored the whole thing and put it on navy. Draws the design out more in my opinion. Every time I do a design I figure out more things. Thanks to all who voted for the last one and if you can pls vote again.

Thanks

This is so very weird and wonderful. It reminds me of peddle boats with my brother...

Care to enlighten us on the genesis of your idea?

ajdamn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajdamn
Re: Space Smooch

Adorable! I would love to wear this!

benmerva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benmerva
kimmypooh wrote:I so love this! Two of my very favorite things.

nice design, reminds me of this

cmzollondz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmzollondz

I think this is awesome. I'm glad the text was included at the bottom, though, because I think enough people would not understand it... would totally buy this. I love star wars references that aren't only about the normal characters

jhilg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhilg
Re: resist

This is a cool design + asphalt is a A Day of Thanksgiving (1951) i'm missing + i would actually wear it = GMV!

:3

r3mix3r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages r3mix3r
Re: Nexus Replicant

Spelled it wrong !!
to quote wikipedia

The Voight-Kampff machine (or device) is a fictional interrogation tool, originating in the book where it is spelled Voigt-Kampff. The Voight-Kampff is a polygraph-like machine used by Blade Runners to assist in the testing of an individual to determine if he or she is a replicant. It measures bodily functions such as respiration, "blush response", heart rate, and eye movement in response to emotionally provocative questions.[14] In the film two replicants take the test, Leon and Rachael, and Deckard tells Tyrell that it usually takes 20 to 30 cross-referenced questions to distinguish a replicant; in contrast with the book, where it is stated it only takes "six or seven" questions to make a determination. In the film it takes more than one hundred questions to determine if Rachael is a replicant.

r3mix3r

Re: Human...Inspected and Passed

Spelled it wrong
to quote wikipedia

The Voight-Kampff machine (or device) is a fictional interrogation tool, originating in the book where it is spelled Voigt-Kampff. The Voight-Kampff is a polygraph-like machine used by Blade Runners to assist in the testing of an individual to determine if he or she is a replicant. It measures bodily functions such as respiration, "blush response", heart rate, and eye movement in response to emotionally provocative questions. In the film two replicants take the test, Leon and Rachael, and Deckard tells Tyrell that it usually takes 20 to 30 cross-referenced questions to distinguish a replicant; in contrast with the book, where it is stated it only takes "six or seven" questions to make a determination. In the film it takes more than one hundred questions to determine if Rachael is a replicant.

r3mix3r

Re: The Real 5th Element

i don't get it....duh !

r3mix3r

Re: Sora is a Chibi Timelord resub

Larger version please .. can't read the writing on the shirt

r3mix3r

Re: Always Know Where Your Towel Is

how is this off topic ?? this is CLASSIC Sci-fi at it's best .. Who doesn't know the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy ... you must always know where you towel is .. i would have voted and bought this if someone hadn't rejected it !

dmaz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz
ramyb wrote:my sales are definitely well above average on woot, and that's something I pride myself on. Perhaps what you are saying is true of other "popular" designers, but in that case you should take this discussion to a different thread.

You're absolutely right here. I was too broad in my judgement there, recalling a large number of shirts from popular users, and not specifically yours (I looked through, and the *only* shirt of yours that would fit the category I suggested would be "I'm Just Doing My Job").

As it doesn't belong on your thread, I removed it from my post, sorry for the misdirected accusation.

Despite how I feel about "popular" users in general, I don't hate any of them. I wasn't joking that I own several of your designs, as I buy strictly on a would-I-wear-this basis. I just don't like what the system has developed into, and think that Woot could try a few a things to boost the creativity a little more, and give some other users a chance.

Perhaps limiting to one entry per derby, or simply making all entries anonymous...though that would be limited as well (your penguins are hard to miss ;) ). Hope there's no hard feelings

r3mix3r

Re: Doctor Treats

Cute .. but a PINK dalek... come on no respectable dr who fan who is a guy is gonna wear a pink dalek .. love the design love the quotes... lose the pink dalek and i'll buy one !

r3mix3r

Re: Existential Whale

HeartlineTwist wrote:Wait...so you don't know the reference, but once you become aware of one, that alone causes the shirt to go from awesome to unwearable? I'm confused.

That said, out of the t-shirts I wear, the ones I get the most comments on are the ones devoid of references, usually.

Well i have to disagree i have tons of t-shirts and 90% of them have some kind of geek pop culture reference on them and i get stopped all the time asking where i got the shirt or even just hey man cool shirt ! ... some of the shirts i have require a 2nd glance so i sometimes get people stopping me just so they can complete looking at it .. i gotta say i like the attention sometimes...
for instance i have a simple t-shirt from thinkgeek that states "I Void Waranties" every time i wear that at least once a day i get someone saying .. so what do you do to void warranties... which is great for me coz i repair computer for a living so i give them my card .. nuff said .. pop culture references are cool if you like getting attention.. plus this whale T-Shirt would go well with my 42 T-shirt !

jdauel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdauel
Re: Scarred for life......

So that is why Harry was Dumbledore's favorite.

Dolemite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dolemite

I almost did this... a paper unicorn with the tagline "It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?"

Re: Nexus Replicant

jeff84401

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeff84401
r3mix3r wrote:

Gotta love the "Electric Sheep" book fanatics!

I'll stick with the "Ridley Scott" spelling though, and we can agree to disagree about the spelling. Other things we probably disagree about:

- Deckard's a Replicant!
- Director's Cut of the film is better than PKD's book!!

Anyway, thanks for your comment. Baty's name is spelled differently too (book vs screenplay) and some of the names (last names at least) are entirely different. I'm more a fan of the film (Director's Cut) than the book, and I think the shirt reflects that. And I'm guessing you're more a fan of the book. Heck, you'd probably put a toad on the shirt! And that's perfectly fine. Again, thanks for the post!