jeff84401

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeff84401
r3mix3r wrote:

r3mix3r wrote:

Gotta love the "Electric Sheep" book fanatics!

I'll stick with the "Ridley Scott" spelling though, and we can agree to disagree about the spelling. Other things we probably disagree about:

- Deckard's a Replicant!
- Director's Cut of the film is better than PKD's book!!

Anyway, thanks for your comment. I think Baty's name is spelled differently too (book vs screenplay) and some of the names (last names at least) are entirely different. I'm more a fan of the film (Director's Cut) than the book, and I think the shirt reflects that. And I'm guessing you're more a fan of the book. Heck, you'd probably put a toad on the shirt! And that's perfectly fine. Thanks for the post!

jeff84401

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeff84401
Dolemite wrote:I almost did this... a paper unicorn with the tagline "It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?"

Great line, and it sounds like a cool shirt. GMV if you do it.

ClaudiaM

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ClaudiaM
jeff84401 wrote:Gotta love the "Electric Sheep" book fanatics!

I'll stick with the "Ridley Scott" spelling though, and we can agree to disagree about the spelling.

The origami unicorn itself is strictly a movie reference, after all.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 218 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Wrong Droid (2.0)

"Utinni!"

The first version was squished for having too close a resemblance to the Android character (although the proportions are quite different). This revised design is now more mechanical looking, Andy is more 3D rather than flat, and has X_X.

Hopefully that helps. I feel the parody is as clear as it can be - Jawas capture and trade droids, but this is the wrong kind.

Alternatively, this might be about Lucasfilm charging Motorola big buck$ just for using the word Droid on their Android based phones. Beware Uncle George's Jawas! They're always on the lookout for business opportunities. :-p

So my changes are all visual rather than conceptual. Hopefully for the better.

Please re-vote! It's six colors on slate. See a BIG VERSION here.

Thanks,
---Spiritgreen

julierey53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages julierey53
tbonegddss wrote:I NEED this shirt!!! This is completely AWESOME!!! Great job!

Me too! I would like to vote this one a thousand times please.

ClaudiaM

r3mix3r wrote:i don't get it....duh !

Boron. Not kawaii, and the only sci-fi element is in the shirt title, or a rebus-like interpretation of the shirt.

Jessara

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Jessara
Re: A storm is coming

It's a T-shirt version of those Scandinavian sweaters with lines of reindeer or snowflakes or little doggies. Much better idea. Thanks for not putting it on a ragg background.

ClaudiaM

Re: YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!

What's the blackboard script say?

ClaudiaM

Re: Picardio- the next generation of fitness

It'll get nixed for the Starfleet(tm) logo.

ClaudiaM

r3mix3r wrote:how is this off topic ?? this is CLASSIC Sci-fi at it's best .. Who doesn't know the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy ... you must always know where you towel is .. i would have voted and bought this if someone hadn't rejected it !

Kawaii?

landsnark

quality posts: 10 Private Messages landsnark
Re: Inevitable Betrayal

MUST. HAVE.

pollenator77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pollenator77
Re: Scarred for life......

You know, for some of us, this hits a little too close to home.

Dolemite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dolemite

It's interesting. After the original release, I didn't think Deckerd was a replicant. It wasn't until Scott recut the film and took out the voiceovers and happy ending did I begin to think Deckered was a replicant.

jeff84401 wrote:Gotta love the "Electric Sheep" book fanatics!

I'll stick with the "Ridley Scott" spelling though, and we can agree to disagree about the spelling. Other things we probably disagree about:

- Deckard's a Replicant!
- Director's Cut of the film is better than PKD's book!!

Anyway, thanks for your comment. I think Baty's name is spelled differently too (book vs screenplay) and some of the names (last names at least) are entirely different. I'm more a fan of the film (Director's Cut) than the book, and I think the shirt reflects that. And I'm guessing you're more a fan of the book. Heck, you'd probably put a toad on the shirt! And that's perfectly fine. Thanks for the post!

Dolemite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dolemite

Based on how well my designs have been doing these days, you'd be the only one.

jeff84401 wrote:Great line, and it sounds like a cool shirt. GMV if you do it.

pollenator77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pollenator77
Re: Wrong Droid

"After much back and forth" is one thing, but this was the *very first* entry posted in this derby, and it took them *this* long to reject it (and therefore give the re-sub enough time to regain the votes)?! Not cool, woot; not cool!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 218 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Wrong Droid

Thanks for your commiserations and suggestions, guys.

I've given it another try: Wrong Droid 2.0

The main issue seems to be the likeness to Andy Android, so I've changed that up. I can't make it any clearer that I'm parodying the Android/Lucsasfilm connection and how Jawas capture and trade droids, so I haven't altered the concept. The scene of R2D2 being shocked and taken back to the sandcrawler must be familiar to any SW fan (for the awesome sound effects alone!).

Exohdus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Exohdus

Excellent work, but you gotta be careful with us star wars fanatics...we tend to linger on inaccuracies :P

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
littlebirdbear wrote:I like your design concept. The words in the middle of the image greatly detracts from it though.

I kind of agree but without the words I felt it was missing something... And even though I don't feel this is perfect either I felt that it was better... Wish I could better see what needed to be added.

nicoleterry92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicoleterry92

A Pokemon shirt! Exactly what I'm missing. (: idc that people complain about him reusing animals & stuff, or winning all the time. The only shirts I've ever bought on woot are ramy designs. Simply for the fact that I love them the most.

tdziekan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdziekan
Re: Old Meets New

This is by far my favorite so far. I would buy a few of these.

vstephenson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vstephenson

It gave me a chuckle!

vstephenson

It's cute!

vstephenson

I LOVE IT! I love cats and am always on the lookout for cute cat things. I really hope this one wins. Not only is it cute, the design and colors are really nice.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow

Glad you re-did Wrong Droid. Hope it gets back into the fog. I was sad this morning when I saw the first version had been rejected.

Good Luck!

07/11/14

vstephenson

Very cute and creative!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Well, this stinks. I was hoping it would be left alone since it's a parody. Sigh. Voting AGAIN... I just hope it has enough time to make another run, or is given an HM as a consolation...

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

Good job Spirit! It looks great! And I don't feel that it compromises your original idea.

ralfwolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ralfwolf
HeartlineTwist wrote:Other flightless birds would like to get some love, too, ya know.

First I thught I like puffins .... but then I thought do puffins fly .... then I thought I need to get back to work

ceptious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceptious

This concept is great. I think the simplicity of the design is its strength. Skull and Crossbones / Deathstar. If was over detailed in one direction it would loose the impression of the other. I don't see a need to over do it. I would like it have been a bit smaller on the shirt. A smaller design would give the graphic more "outer space" and would help with the lack of detail. Nice submission. Keep it up.

BrainFreeze

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BrainFreeze

I think it would be funnier if the dog was sniffing itself but that's probably just me.

xninjagrrl

quality posts: 7 Private Messages xninjagrrl
Re: Like a Lumbering Leaf on the Wind

I had no idea Wash was such a popular character. I was always neutral towards him. Actually, I always thought that Spanish wife of his was way too hot for him, which made me think he must have been the luckiest guy in the galaxy, well, er, until he died that is.

Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
nicoleterry92 wrote:A Pokemon shirt! Exactly what I'm missing. (: idc that people complain about him reusing animals & stuff, or winning all the time. The only shirts I've ever bought on woot are ramy designs. Simply for the fact that I love them the most.

Google search "Endless Forms Most Battleful"

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
r3mix3r wrote:Well i have to disagree i have tons of t-shirts and 90% of them have some kind of geek pop culture reference on them and i get stopped all the time asking where i got the shirt or even just hey man cool shirt ! ... some of the shirts i have require a 2nd glance so i sometimes get people stopping me just so they can complete looking at it .. i gotta say i like the attention sometimes...
for instance i have a simple t-shirt from thinkgeek that states "I Void Waranties" every time i wear that at least once a day i get someone saying .. so what do you do to void warranties... which is great for me coz i repair computer for a living so i give them my card .. nuff said .. pop culture references are cool if you like getting attention.. plus this whale T-Shirt would go well with my 42 T-shirt !

I wasn't asserting that non-reference shirts get the most comments. Just that that's how it has worked out in my case. Other people's mileage may vary.

yellowflower

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower
Re: FTL Kawaii

I'm terribly disappointed that this is still so far down in votes. If it prints somewhere else later, let me know! I would definitely buy one of these.

tehmalia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tehmalia

I refuse to believe that Data wouldn't be able to withstand a Wookie's strength! >

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
dmaz wrote:You're absolutely right here. I was too broad in my judgement there, recalling a large number of shirts from popular users, and not specifically yours (I looked through, and the *only* shirt of yours that would fit the category I suggested would be "I'm Just Doing My Job").

As it doesn't belong on your thread, I removed it from my post, sorry for the misdirected accusation.

Despite how I feel about "popular" users in general, I don't hate any of them. I wasn't joking that I own several of your designs, as I buy strictly on a would-I-wear-this basis. I just don't like what the system has developed into, and think that Woot could try a few a things to boost the creativity a little more, and give some other users a chance.

Perhaps limiting to one entry per derby, or simply making all entries anonymous...though that would be limited as well (your penguins are hard to miss ;) ). Hope there's no hard feelings

Definitely not- I can see where you are coming from, and have been trying to at least provide some variety within my own entries (if you look at my three in the reckoning, each is entirely different in style)- This derby is a slightly unfair one to judge, since it is style limited to "kawaii," but in general I have been trying to go in different directions with my entries. I don't think there is a way to devise a perfect system of voting or submitting, but I agree with you that woot could take a couple of measures to ensure more variety in the derbies. I'm just not sure limiting to one entry per person is the best way to do it- It runs into a lot of issues- for example, if an entry gets rejected for a minor reason, can the user resubmit it? And what of collabs? Plus, some users (like pspens) generally limit themselves to one entry and win half the time anyway.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now, but I wanted to say definitely no hard feelings and I can understand where your frustration is coming from

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb

Looks like you are well on your way to recovering your votes on this one- I love the way your thumbnail looks like they are lifting the droid into the fog :P If this makes it to print now I think it will be the latest winner ever, but I wouldn't be surprised- great work on this design I will be purchasing if it makes it.

vstephenson

One More Gimlet, cats and zombies! What a fun mix!

firefrogh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages firefrogh
Re: Chewie and Han… Buddies Forever

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you like the shirt.

vstephenson

The artwork is beautiful. The line "a storm is coming" actually made me think of The Terminator.