waterguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waterguy

Of course, you hold no blame for this.

Scott Flatland

mukimuki

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mukimuki

Holy carp. Reading this shirt is like being in my quantum mechanics class all over again!

I can't control my hand...must....buy....

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

This design is really outside the box from Ramyb's normal designs...

or is it still in the box...

I'm confused.

meepee

quality posts: 33 Private Messages meepee

Too confusing.

lbaran1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lbaran1

I'd love a print for the wall, but I think it's a bit too nerdy, even for me, to wear about.

almsforoblivion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages almsforoblivion

Lots of text art recently, with this and "That is the Question."

Gregarich

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gregarich

Is this http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=5230

noo...

it couldn't possibly be similar.

SO UNORIGINAL

marisano

quality posts: 2 Private Messages marisano
imsaborda wrote:good thing the cat can exist in two states simultaneously!

Well... At least several of its quantum particles theoretically can.

marisano

quality posts: 2 Private Messages marisano
zekecatz wrote:The don't wear this shirt should also include the warning that math nerds may stare at your chest while checking the math.

This is (much) more for physicists than mathematicians. But yeah, it might get some folks to stare at places they've never much bothered with before.

jandk113

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jandk113

I wonder if this will do as well as Nevermore?

I ♥ WOOT!!!

CoffeeOnIce

quality posts: 11 Private Messages CoffeeOnIce

I'm afraid buying this shirt will give my cat a complex.

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15

Schrödinger's cat again!

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake
darkfate00 wrote:This reminds me of two other shirts....one had a bird...one haze a skull...

Reminds me of Mr. Lincoln instead.

I added links for the shirt-reference impaired. BTW, all of these are known as Calligrams.

alison528

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alison528
pointlessone wrote:I want it because it's by far the one of nerdiest things I've ever seen, and I don't want it because trying to explain the concept of the quantum anything would take longer than I ever want to talk to someone who would be asking me "Why does the cat have all those weird letters in it?"

Shirt.woot uncertainty principle?

I just want to know why there are menorahs on the shirt?

eqquantumcat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eqquantumcat

Quantumcat has been my online name for years. I have to get one.

Dualll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dualll

Not another shirt with text in the shape of an object!!

elition

quality posts: 4 Private Messages elition

I knew woot would finally get me to buy a shirt.

This one is great.

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix
polluxoil wrote:I'm not a math nerd. Is there an actual equation in there, or is it just a bunch of mathy symbols strung together?

You better believe it...I have the tears from Physical chemistry to prove it.

joemacangel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages joemacangel

This shirt WILL be in a future Big Bang Theory Episode. Just wait, Sheldon will be wearing this shirt before season 5 is done.

lifeischemical

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lifeischemical
alison528 wrote:I just want to know why there are menorahs on the shirt?

It's the greek letter Psi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psi_%28letter%29

Ah, physics, math and chemistry - teaching me the Greek alphabet without actually teaching me any Greek.

And this shirt was just too nerdy for me to resist.

JRRB

quality posts: 34 Private Messages JRRB
joemacangel wrote:This shirt WILL be in a future Big Bang Theory Episode. Just wait, Sheldon will be wearing this shirt before season 5 is done.

This.

I don't know if I'm nerdy enough to wear this shirt, but I want one.

esbaylus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages esbaylus
eholling wrote:Will there be a shirt in the bag when it arrives at my apartment?

Yes.

and No.

The bag will be empty AND have a shirt in it! The state will not be decided until you OPEN the bag!

ssports

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ssports

Oh great, a shirt for people you don't understand, featuring an animal that most people don't understand, and neither care if you understand.

ssports

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ssports

I will marry the first man who comes up to me while I'm wearing this shirt and either laughs while pointing at my chest saying, "I've gotta have that!" (double entendre intended) or rips it off

Regina dear, I will not only point, laugh, and rip it off.....but how will we know it ever happened? :-)

iankunx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iankunx

The power of nerdiness compels me. Also the fact that I love cats. In for two, just in case one arrives dead.

superstargoddess

quality posts: 2 Private Messages superstargoddess

Once again, I am disappointed. =/

I am looking to buy "Life Choices", any size, send me a message!

So fuhqued up.

saience

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saience

lol, this shirt is amazing. no true physicist will be able to resist

also, I should mention for people who are wondering, the cat consists of various representations of the Schroedinger's equation and equations for representing wave functions (psi)

Randyotter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Randyotter

It's like a poor mans Nevermore

schroddie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schroddie
eqquantumcat wrote:Quantumcat has been my online name for years. I have to get one.

Schroddie has been my (online name and) nickname for years because I worked on quantum teleportation and I love cats. Marry me.

D3lusional

quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional

Despite loathing the majority of Ramyb's work I briefly thought about picking this one up. Then I came to the conclusion it would actually be a pretty douchey shirt to wear since I know most people won't have a clue what it's about, just begging them to ask about it, then I get to act all smug and explain quantum mechanics and Schrodinger's cat to them. :/

mspaeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mspaeth
D3lusional wrote:Despite loathing the majority of Ramyb's work I briefly thought about picking this one up. Then I came to the conclusion it would actually be a pretty douchey shirt to wear since I know most people won't have a clue what it's about, just begging them to ask about it, then I get to act all smug and explain quantum mechanics and Schrodinger's cat to them. :/

I thought about picking this up, but can't get past the ramyb factor... and other than the wave equation at the bottom, I'm not sure if the rest is gibberish

KAZVorpal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KAZVorpal

Just a bit of uninvited curmudgeon commentary:

I know this is just meant to be cute, not really meaningful -- sadly, girly-cute shirts beat out actually-clever shirts way too often, bringing into doubt the big change in 1919 -- but Schroedinger's Cat refers not to any equation he wrote, but illustrates his, and Einstein's, opposition to Heisenberg's junk science.

See, Heisenberg was using unscientific methodology to justify an unsound set of shortcuts in physics, and Schroedinger was using the cat example to explain how nonsensical it was. So the actual Schroedinger's Cat equation is Heisenberg's.

The importance of that is so great, and supposed science fans so ignorant of it, that it bears mentioning, here:

Schroedinger, Einstein, Popper, and von Mises were a sort of last bastion of sound scientific method, at a time when bureaucrat-funded junk science was coming to dominate.

Their opponents, the Forces of Darkness, included Heisenberg, Bohr, and the rest of the Copenhagen frauds. While our Brave Heroes advocated Scientific Realism, a strict set of rules for keeping science sound and accurate, the Dark Side preferred the quick hype and easy results of Scientific Instrumentalism, where you play fast and loose with the facts, in order to impress bureaucratic committees into funding your work more easily.

Sadly, the Evil Empire won, which is why we've had the Scientific Consensus run down blind alleys for decades, before realizing that everything we "knew" about some given discipline was actually off-base.

mentalabsence

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mentalabsence

This shirt would have been amazing with a glow-in-the-dark dead cat. As it is, the message isn't clear at a glance to anyone unfamiliar with the equation itself.

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky

Schrödinger’s Cat. Baffling physicists for decades.

Course, Las Vegas already solved this. aka: Odds, and to whom they apply.

december182004

quality posts: 0 Private Messages december182004

Where was this shirt two weeks ago when I was teaching Schrodinger, Heisenberg, and deBroglie to my highschoolers?! In for one for next year!

nuviremus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nuviremus
PacifisticKiller wrote:Is it a cat or an equation? Perhaps it is both at the same time? O__O

It is actually all of the forms Schrodinger's wave equation can take for different types of systems in different energy potentials. Pretty much the ground base for all quantum mechanics.

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake
D3lusional wrote:... since I know most people won't have a clue what it's about, just begging them to ask about it, ...

It's the same effect when I'm wearing Gettysburg Address around here ...

elfdreamer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages elfdreamer
KAZVorpal wrote:Just a bit of uninvited curmudgeon commentary:

I know this is just meant to be cute, not really meaningful -- sadly, girly-cute shirts beat out actually-clever shirts way too often, bringing into doubt the big change in 1919 -- but Schroedinger's Cat refers not to any equation he wrote, but illustrates his, and Einstein's, opposition to Heisenberg's junk science.

See, Heisenberg was using unscientific methodology to justify an unsound set of shortcuts in physics, and Schroedinger was using the cat example to explain how nonsensical it was. So the actual Schroedinger's Cat equation is Heisenberg's.

The importance of that is so great, and supposed science fans so ignorant of it, that it bears mentioning, here:

Schroedinger, Einstein, Popper, and von Mises were a sort of last bastion of sound scientific method, at a time when bureaucrat-funded junk science was coming to dominate.

Their opponents, the Forces of Darkness, included Heisenberg, Bohr, and the rest of the Copenhagen frauds. While our Brave Heroes advocated Scientific Realism, a strict set of rules for keeping science sound and accurate, the Dark Side preferred the quick hype and easy results of Scientific Instrumentalism, where you play fast and loose with the facts, in order to impress bureaucratic committees into funding your work more easily.

Sadly, the Evil Empire won, which is why we've had the Scientific Consensus run down blind alleys for decades, before realizing that everything we "knew" about some given discipline was actually off-base.

You really think that the Copenhagen approach is related to and advocating bad science? You may not like their approach to quantum physics, and you may also disagree with them, but Instrumentalism has an advantage: you need to find a way to describe phenomena that you see. It gives us predictive methods that sometimes elude our ability to justify. Also it was not always in this direction. Take for example Bell's experiment which was meant to combat the hypotheses of the Copenhagen bunch... but when the ability to perform the experiment actually came to be, the results supported the idea of a "collapse" into a specific situation rather than the result having been established before observation.

The quantum world is a headache to think about, but it would be a huge jump to call everyone out who deals with it as a fraud.

shandarkian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shandarkian
KAZVorpal wrote:Just a bit of uninvited curmudgeon commentary:

Some things never change, look at the global warming argument today.

It's a great idea for a shirt regardless.

If I were to assign a quote to this cat it would be: "To be, or not to be, that is the equation."

backfirequeen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages backfirequeen

Ooooooohhhhh, I can't believe what a nerd I am... I bought ALL THREE of the t-shirts....