Rudeboy2025

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Rudeboy2025
doctorwhofan142009 wrote:I think it's referring to the floating space whales from Doctor Who.

Think again ;)

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988

Congrats janesko, adorable design!

cuenrezig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cuenrezig

is it just me?

"Why am ? here?"

Is this a "I"?

Maybe it's because i'm not american and i dont get it, but for me it looks like a "d" or something else.

"Why am d here?"

It cant be. Help me understand it.

greetings

anamorican

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anamorican
cuenrezig wrote:is it just me?

"Why am ? here?"

Is this a "I"?

Maybe it's because i'm not american and i dont get it, but for me it looks like a "d" or something else.

"Why am d here?"

greetings

That's our cursive 'I'

http://www.janbrett.com/images/alphabet_coloring_tracers_i_cursive.jpg

It's ok. I used to think the 'D' in 'Disney' was a G!

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Good thing I haven't been holding my breath for a brown shirt.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan

Congrats Jas! looks so nice on the tee!

linksdeity

quality posts: 22 Private Messages linksdeity

Congratulations to the Derby winners of today and yesterday. Today marks the first time in my history on Shirt.Woot! that I've ordered the Derby shirts two days in a row. Really amazing designs here, good work guys!

happiestshark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages happiestshark

This is better than the frogs!

chiieddy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chiieddy

Where's the bowl of petunias?

Councelor

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Councelor

Yes, blatant Hitchhiker's Guide Reference.

And yes, it ended ugly a few seconds later.

So the question of why we exist was answered:

To fall like a fireball out of the sky to splatter across the landscape, leaving large chunks all over the place.

On the bright side, he was around long after the Earth blew up!

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

My second Jasneko shirt. I usually don't like pop culture references, but I couldn't resist buying this one. Congrats!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 223 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Hey, that's awesome. Congrats Jas'.

You usually keep your designs really simple and so when they strike a chord with people the result is really pure. Nice work. :^)

michbelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michbelle

I really like the shirt, and I almost got it, but it just makes me too sad.

darthbob14

quality posts: 5 Private Messages darthbob14

You know, that whale really has a Heart of Gold. In fact, he was even going to give a bowl of petunitas to his new friend ou... ound... round... ground! Yeah, ground!

"Finally, an excuse to nuke France!"

thenightflier

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thenightflier

Gahhhh....can't resist....anything.....Hitchhiker.

choanata

quality posts: 1 Private Messages choanata

Congrats on getting printed! I have limited my shirt buying in past months, but this is an absolute must have for me. Can't wait to start wearing it!

K2112S

quality posts: 0 Private Messages K2112S
doctorwhofan142009 wrote:I think it's referring to the floating space whales from Doctor Who.

No it is a reference to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Perhaps the finest comedy Sci-Fi series ever written. Douglass Adams was a genius (and a really tall man) and died way too young. And the Dirk Gently series does not get enough attention very smart and very funny

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Thanks so much everyone!!

Also, I just want to assure some of you, that while this shirt may be introspective and pensive, it is NOT sad. This whale does not share the same fate as a certain whale and bowl of petunias.
How?
Perhaps the USS Enterprise finds the whale in their search back in time for whales and their earth-saving songs, and doesn't need to beam down to earth and eat pizza in a strange way. (But then later, they'll realize they needed a whale pair, and will come down anyway and have a different 80s experience).

Perhaps this shirt was just a flub of Scotty's coordinates, and for a moment he accidentally transported one whale into space, and in another moment, he'll be transported where intended, and eventually will sing his whale songs and save future earth from darkness.
Perhaps star whales (or space whale) find and take care of him...the possibilities are many.

But rest assured, I would never have made it with a sad ending in mind - this whale will be just fine. You can make up your own non-sad ending with any sci-fi reference of your choice. (Or without any reference, as I hoped the shirt is also strong on its own.)

Vote!

pmcguirk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmcguirk
KrmtDfrog wrote:My exact same thought

I'm glad we're all in agreement. But the flowers on the back and it's a deal, otherwise... meh.

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
Dragynwing wrote:This would be an instabuy if there was a bowl of petunias to go with the whale.

On the contrary - without the petunias is better, since it still makes the specific intended reference, but also ties into other pieces of pop culture and can stand alone even if the viewer sees NO specific reference! I'm not a HHGTTG freak and wouldn't have bought the shirt if that's all it had going for it!

Mogar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mogar

Love this even without the reference. Two shirts in a row! New Record!!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Yay, congrats, Jasneko!!!! :D

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Yay! I was happy to see that you'd won today, Jasneko.

jezebelseven

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jezebelseven
jasneko wrote:(Or without any reference, as I hoped the shirt is also strong on its own.)

It is. I've never actually read the book (or saw the movie until just after buying this shirt), but I still really loved the design, and had voted for it in the derby. I had no idea it was referencing anything until I read all the comments.

Trade with me on TeeTrade!
THINK OF THE PATHOGENS!!!

bloczyns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bloczyns

Congrats!!! Thanks for the great design, I can't wait to wear it!

slowjam

quality posts: 8 Private Messages slowjam

First time I've bought 2 woot shirts in one week in quite a while. Glad this one placed. Great design.

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

I ask myself this question every day.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

vasir14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vasir14
thenightflier wrote:Gahhhh....can't resist....anything.....Hitchhiker.

I'm with you on that... My license plate is even a reference to it...

Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake

Debut day - 2799.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Last wooter to woot: TheNonExample
Last purchase time: Saturday, December 03, 2011, 11:58:33 PM Central Time
Order pace: 0m 30.881s
Woot wage: $3,753.75
Woots sold: 2795

Last wooter to woot: kavillarreal
Last purchase time: Saturday, December 03, 2011, 11:59:56 PM Central Time
Order pace: 0m 30.889s
Woot wage: $3,750.17
Woots sold: 2797

Last wooter to woot: LightningRaze
Last purchase time: Sunday, December 04, 2011, 12:02:52 AM Central Time
Order pace: 0m 30.919s
Woot wage: $3,742.51
Woots sold: 2800

Okay, either 2797, 2798, or 2799

Narfcake

TheGolux wrote:...
Okay, either 2797, 2798, or 2799

Last wooter to woot: kavillarreal
Last purchase time: Saturday, December 03, 2011, 11:59:56 PM Central Time
Order pace: 0m 30.867s
Woot wage: $3,750.17
Woots sold: 2799

starksre

quality posts: 3 Private Messages starksre
jezebelseven wrote:It is. I've never actually read the book (or saw the movie until just after buying this shirt), but I still really loved the design, and had voted for it in the derby. I had no idea it was referencing anything until I read all the comments.

Same. Buying this one i told the whale he could do it

zeno1984

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zeno1984

I'm pretty upset... I ordered this next day shipping... and was told it would come on 12/6/11 ... and it's still not here... My Ugly Holiday Sweater shirt was delivered. But this was the one I couldn't wait for... *frown*

kittybongo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kittybongo

I bought mine on the third, paid for next day shipping, and it's still not here. I should have just saved my five bucks.

Narfcake

zeno1984 wrote:I'm pretty upset... I ordered this next day shipping... and was told it would come on 12/6/11 ... and it's still not here... My Ugly Holiday Sweater shirt was delivered. But this was the one I couldn't wait for... *frown*

kittybongo wrote:I bought mine on the third, paid for next day shipping, and it's still not here. I should have just saved my five bucks.

Both of you - email service@woot.com with your order number and this issue ... they'll look into it. If it's Woot's or Fedex's problem, your $5 will be refunded.

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine
cuenrezig wrote:is it just me?

"Why am ? here?"

Is this a "I"?

"Why am d here?"

greetings

That is, indeed a cursive "I."

Used to be you had to understand cursive to sign your own name. Sadly, they teach cursive in very few American schools now, much less anywhere else. So says the "class of '96." I bought the shirt anyway because I love the reference and the designer... and I still understand ancient cursive!

BSquared6

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BSquared6

got my shirt today. kinda disappointed with how small the design is on the shirt. (size-WL)

threeeyedgoat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages threeeyedgoat

Perfect gift for my philosophical boyfriend, he is such an existentialist! Great Christmas gift, thanks Jasneko! :D

cairnterrier21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cairnterrier21

It's Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy obviously. First book of the series

cairnterrier21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cairnterrier21
darthbob14 wrote:You know, that whale really has a Heart of Gold. In fact, he was even going to give a bowl of petunitas to his new friend ou... ound... round... ground! Yeah, ground!

Heehee Heart of Gold..... That's the ship Beeblebrox stole. I love the books!